PDA

View Full Version : I still want a Bruiser at Running Back

BlastFurnace
12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I like Willie. I like MeMo. I like Russell. From what I have seen, I like Mendenhall.

Admittedly, I really liked what I see in McClain. No, I am not saying I would want McClain to be our starter, but a back like that on the Steelers would sure do wonders for our offense.

I didn't see Mendenhall play in college. The only exposure I have of him is what I have seen with us.

I like the more open offense, but I also miss the 3rd and 1...with no worries of getting that yard.

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2008, 09:52 PM
I thought Willie had a great game today. He did break Ray Ray's tackle in the hole and had quite a few really good runs today.

But I wouldn't mind Steven Jackson from the Rams. Yep, I still got a man crush on that monster. He'd look really nice in Black and Gold on a 3rd and 1.

Of coarse, how about our guys fight for that extra yard on 2nd down. You know, to prevent the 3rd and 1 to begin with.

NYC SteelersFan
12-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I like Willie. I like MeMo. I like Russell. From what I have seen, I like Mendenhall.

Admittedly, I really liked what I see in McClain. No, I am not saying I would want McClain to be our starter, but a back like that on the Steelers would sure do wonders for our offense.

I didn't see Mendenhall play in college. The only exposure I have of him is what I have seen with us.

I like the more open offense, but I also miss the 3rd and 1...with no worries of getting that yard.

We need the big back or at least a reliable fullback for short-yardage situations. It used to be an automatic first down, now it's an automatic punt or interception. Did anyone see CBS put up that nifty stat just before the Roethlisberger fumble? We have the worst 3rd and 1 conversion% in the NFL.

The greater problem is the inconsistent commitment to the rush in general.

ShutDown24
12-14-2008, 09:54 PM
This is unproven, and many people are already saying he isn't that kind of back... But trust me - I saw Mendenhall play at Illinois, and all the guy does is straight up hammer the ball over and over and over, relentlessly.

Before he got hurt, he was starting to get on a roll against the Ravens. He can pound it and you'll see that next year.

I totally agree, I can't wait until we get back to power football in certain situations. And I think its coming!

NYC SteelersFan
12-14-2008, 09:56 PM
This is unproven, and many people are already saying he isn't that kind of back... But trust me - I saw Mendenhall play at Illinois, and all the guy does is straight up hammer the ball over and over and over, relentlessly.

Before he got hurt, he was starting to get on a roll against the Ravens. He can pound it and you'll see that next year.

I totally agree, I can't wait until we get back to power football in certain situations. And I think its coming!

I wouldn't dream of arguing until I see him. I didn't see Mendenhall enough to pass judgement. I hope he is the answer though. I just know a lone Parker won't cut it.

43Hitman
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Bettis is a hall of fame RB, those guys don't come around very often. I too would love to have a guy you could absolutely count on in those situations. In my opinion it all starts up front, and until we fix that problem it won't matter who we have in the backfield. I hope that next season we can address this glaring need and get back to our bread and butter-Power football.

lilyoder6
12-14-2008, 10:38 PM
if we got jackson "which would be cool to see him in black and gold" but he'll have to be the number 1 guy.. and we alrdy have too many of those types of backs

Preacher
12-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't dream of arguing until I see him. I didn't see Mendenhall enough to pass judgement. I hope he is the answer though. I just know a lone Parker won't cut it.

On that you are absolutely right.

I have been arguing for a back rotation for a long time... featured backs just don't seem to make it anymore. I also would LOVE to have a fast back with a big back compliment... and think we have it with mende.

NYC SteelersFan
12-14-2008, 10:58 PM
On that you are absolutely right.

I have been arguing for a back rotation for a long time... featured backs just don't seem to make it anymore. I also would LOVE to have a fast back with a big back compliment... and think we have it with mende.

Thunder and lightning RB combo has usually been successful. I hope Mendenhall can be the thunder to Parker's lightning.

Steelman16
12-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Folks, we need LenDale White! :laughing:

Shoes
12-14-2008, 11:33 PM
We need Sweeeeeeeed also :chuckle:

mcmac
12-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Folks, we need LenDale White! :laughing:

We dont need him, my boy who works 4 the titans tell me he's a lazy bastard.

SteelCurtain7
12-15-2008, 12:22 AM
No LenWhale. Fuhgeddaboutit.

No Steven Jackson. Every time he's handed the ball, it's "Dancing With the Stars." Even the loyal Rams fans admit as much.

Mendenhall, Moore, and Parker sound solid. :cool:

tony hipchest
12-15-2008, 12:26 AM
i need more cowbell.

you need more JOHN KUHN!!!!!! :jammin:

MDSteel15
12-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Everyone needs to get off Willie's ass!!! When 100% look what he did the last 3 years for us! Let the man heel, PLEASE!!!

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Everyone needs to get off Willie's ass!!! When 100% look what he did the last 3 years for us! Let the man heel, PLEASE!!!

Yes, let the man heal by not starting him.

Sharkissle29
12-15-2008, 01:50 AM
i need more cowbell.

nooooooooooo

Preacher
12-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Thunder and lightning RB combo has usually been successful. I hope Mendenhall can be the thunder to Parker's lightning.

To have that one-two punch. . . With Willie Starting and taking about 18-22 carries, and then Mende taking about 10-15 carries at the end of the game to finish things off, with Mende getting about 5-7 or so and a few more out of the backfield on 3rd down? I would call that perfect.

That puts us at about 33-40 runs a game. We are averaging (I think, I haven't checked this one out, about 65 or so plays a game. That would mean that we are closing out games with the run, after going up by 14-21 points.

THAT is how we won the SB last time.

That is a good balance, and I would be all for it.

However, that means our O line (Who did pretty dang decent today) will have to step up even more.

OX1947
12-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Trust me guys, Mendy is the back of the future and is the bruiser we want. it just sucked he broke his shoulder. Look for him to be a 1500 yard runner if parker isnt playing regularly.

Galax Steeler
12-15-2008, 04:26 AM
I like Brandon Jacobs that dude is a beast if we could get one back in the league it would be him.

markymarc
12-15-2008, 07:40 AM
I will wait until Mendenhall returns next season before pushing for a bruising RB. I still think Mendenhall is going to be a very good RB for us. I also think he can get those 1-2 yards we need on 3rd and short downs.

BritishSteel
12-15-2008, 07:46 AM
I'd like us to look at a decent blocking full-back - Not only an essential part of the running game we know so well (and Dan Kreider played a BIG part in FWP's first few successful seasons), but helps give the QB a second or two more on the play action pass game.

Shane Oliver
12-15-2008, 07:46 AM
I will wait until Mendenhall returns next season before pushing for a bruising RB. I still think Mendenhall is going to be a very good RB for us. I also think he can get those 1-2 yards we need on 3rd and short downs.

I agree with Marky. Don't know if there'll ever be another Bus, but we need a power back. Mendy's it to me.

Be cool if we had 2 though, and let Parker be the FAST dude he is. He ain't made for runnin' through formations.

KeiselPower99
12-15-2008, 08:23 AM
I was watchin that game yesterday and was thinking since the Miami mud bowl last year we havent ran the ball really good. And since that game we havent had the services of Dan Krieder. I think it goes to show we need a FB in this sysytem. McHugh is a decent blocker and Davis could be the bruiser we need but isnt a very good FB. Just a lil peice of info to think about today.

markymarc
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
At this point the only thing I really want is a real FB.

Godfather
12-15-2008, 10:16 AM
I think we'll be OK when Mendy gets back next season.

For the rest of this season, we should put Chris Hoke or Matt Spaeth in the backfield. Either hand off to them because they're hard to tackle, or (especially in the case of Hoke) use them as a decoy and pass to Miller.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Instead of looking at McLain.....did you look at the Ravens offensive line??? They consistently looked like they came off the ball, hit the D and held their blocks (continued to block and move their feet).

The Steelers O line at times maintained their blocking, but far too often hit the guy in front of them a couple times and then considered their job to be done.

The Steelers O-line played TO the whistle, while the Ravens O-line played THRU the whistle!! That, to me is the bigger difference and why I dont think having a bigger back will help at all.

PisnNapalm
12-15-2008, 10:24 AM
I've been saying that for 2 years now.... We need a new "Bus". Someone like Bettis, Brandon Jacobs, etc....

stlrtruck
12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
At this point the only thing I really want is a real FB.

I think the way they use McHugh could change and allow him to be a FB. That guy is huge and from what I've seen he's been bowling people over.

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2008, 11:47 AM
i need more cowbell.

Ditto

Too bad the NFL passed the rule saying Kuhn isn't allowed to be a Steeler do to unfair advantages. Stupid NFL Front office

Steeldude
12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
I didn't see Mendenhall play in college

he isn't a bruiser back. he tends to avoid contact. he played in a spread option offense in college. rarely did he run between the tackles. it was obvious he was lost when he tried in pre-season. very odd for a RB to look so confused and hesitant when attacking the line.

perhaps it will change, but IMO, i doubt it.

i like shonn green out of iowa. kind of reminds me barry foster.

the steelers still need a strong O-line. i keep hearing people talk about how strong kemo is, but i don't see it consistently. i would use mendenhall or parker as trade bait to get extra picks or move up.

BlastFurnace
12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Instead of looking at McLain.....did you look at the Ravens offensive line??? They consistently looked like they came off the ball, hit the D and held their blocks (continued to block and move their feet).

The Steelers O line at times maintained their blocking, but far too often hit the guy in front of them a couple times and then considered their job to be done.

The Steelers O-line played TO the whistle, while the Ravens O-line played THRU the whistle!! That, to me is the bigger difference and why I dont think having a bigger back will help at all.

I noticed that as well. They are strong in the trenches on both sidees of the ball. That is why they are solid this year.

ricksteelers55
12-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Brandon Jacobs is heading to the free agency after this year because the giants didnt re-sign him this summer,but I guess he will ask for top dollars if he leaves New York

It is not our style to go after big free agents but in this case I think we should make an exception.

Jacobs and Parker ...WOW that would be amazing and Moore as our 3rd down back.

But with the recent draft pick of Mendenhall I dont think we could afford that kind of move.

anyway I have to admit that I would love to have a big bruiser back ala McClain,but it doesnt matter when you dont win

So Id say the only thing I want is not a FB but a SB

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Brandon Jacobs is heading to the free agency after this year because the giants didnt re-sign him this summer,but I guess he will ask for top dollars if he leaves New York

It is not our style to go after big free agents but in this case I think we should make an exception.

Jacobs and Parker ...WOW that would be amazing and Moore as our 3rd down back.

But with the recent draft pick of Mendenhall I dont think we could afford that kind of move.

anyway I have to admit that I would love to have a big bruiser back ala McClain,but it doesnt matter when you dont win

So Id say the only thing I want is not a FB but a SB

If we're going to spend on Jacobs, I rather spend it on Boldin and find a big bruiser the way we found Parker. If we had Boldin, Ward and Holmes as our #1, 2 and 3 receivers, it would open up the run regardless for most running backs and we wouldn't need Jacobs.

lilyoder6
12-15-2008, 03:14 PM
with the drafting of mendenhall and moore emerging as a a good player... the idea of getting a big back should go out the window... we signed 2 rb's this past-offseason 2 add 2 the other 2 we alrdy had... i doubt we ge more

steelreserve
12-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm all for getting a big bruiser, but we'd probably have to let go of Parker or Russell, neither of which I'd shed any tears over. If we could get Jacobs -- are you kidding me? I'd take that guy in a second.

43Hitman
12-15-2008, 03:42 PM
If we're going to spend on Jacobs, I rather spend it on Boldin and find a big bruiser the way we found Parker. If we had Boldin, Ward and Holmes as our #1, 2 and 3 receivers, it would open up the run regardless for most running backs and we wouldn't need Jacobs.

I would freaking love Boldin here, but sadly it probably won't happen. And the threat of a big play guy like that would keep 8 out of the box for sure. We also would see alot less blitzing from our opponents. Problem solved. But hell, what do we know.

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I would freaking love Boldin here, but sadly it probably won't happen. And the threat of a big play guy like that would keep 8 out of the box for sure. We also would see alot less blitzing from our opponents. Problem solved. But hell, what do we know.

I'll root for the Browns the day Rooney signs Boldin....lol (of course I would secretly be rooting for the Steelers the whole time but the Brown fans would never know)

43Hitman
12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I'll root for the Browns the day Rooney signs Boldin....lol (of course I would secretly be rooting for the Steelers the whole time but the Brown fans would never know)

:chuckle:

ShutDown24
12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
We have so much depth at running back and so much talent there between Parker, Moore and Mendenhall and even to some extent Russell, that bringing in a new back would be stupid.

Assuming we re-sign Moore, we arguably have one of the best back rotations in the league when Mendenhall gets healthy.

Guys, go back to week four and watch Mendenhall against the Ravens. He was running consistently against that very good defense for about 3.5 yards a carry with our bad offensive line. Between the tackles. That's not flashy, but that's similar to what the Bus was producing for us the last few years he was here - with a MUCH better offensive line. And that was this guy’s first real action. Can we not give up on him yet? I mean god I had to hear all last season, fairly often on this board, about how Timmons was a wasted pick and would amount to nothing. Now he is showing flashes of being a complete beast once he gets into the lineup.

Please, don't make me suffer through anymore "Let's trade Mendy for Peyton Hillis" talk >< >< ><

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Assuming we re-sign Moore, we arguably have one of the best back rotations in the league when Mendenhall gets healthy.

No need to re-sign Moore. This is his first year of a 3 year deal he signed. Parker's deal expires after the 09 season so 2010 should see Mendenhall, Moore and a rookie draft pick in the RB rotation.

SteelCityKingsVP
12-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I would say that when Mendenhall is healthy next year, alot of problems with the Offense will be fixed. He's said to be like an Eddgerin James only with better hands.

ShutDown24
12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
No need to re-sign Moore. This is his first year of a 3 year deal he signed. Parker's deal expires after the 09 season so 2010 should see Mendenhall, Moore and a rookie draft pick in the RB rotation.

We signed Moore to a three year deal? Wow - for some reason I've had it in my head that we got him on a one year deal. Thanks for correcting me! That's nice to know lol.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 06:12 PM
We signed Moore to a three year deal? Wow - for some reason I've had it in my head that we got him on a one year deal. Thanks for correcting me! That's nice to know lol.

Yeah, it was a 3 year $4.95mil deal. Couple that with Parkers 4 year $13.6mil deal and they really arent that expensive RB's to have. Will have to wait to see if Mendenhall provides a bit more of the power running next season.......despite the haters warning of doom.