PDA

View Full Version : If the final touchdown hadn't been overturned..

Phade
12-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Go for the TD or send it to overtime with a field goal?

I say go for the TD

LambertIsGod58
12-14-2008, 11:49 PM

I say go for the TD

I totally think Tomlin would have opted to go for the go ahead score. Being at the 2inch line and all.

Steelman16
12-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Tough choice. I believe Tomlin would have called for a QB sneak.

I think I would have kicked the field goal and trusted the defense to carry it out.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Tomlin has balls of steel, he would have grabebd them and gone for the go-ahead score.

Me? I have balls of skin, I would have followed the old mantra of go for the tie on the road.

chenzzo
12-14-2008, 11:58 PM
faced with that choice I'd probably start crying and ask Ben what he wanted to do.

One of the many reasons I'm not a head coach:jawdrop:

rich4eagle
12-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Go for the TD......if you cannot make three inches why depend on a flip of a coin

MaidenIndiana
12-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Seeing how lucky we have been in winning coin flips, I would've went for it.

moedap
12-15-2008, 12:11 AM
The Ravens O was tired. Even though they got those passes to bring it down to Pitt 39 their will was sapped. I would have played it conservatively and kicked the field goal to tie. Remember with our run game you have to double the distance needed. So that spot which looked to make the ball 6-7 inches converts to a foot and couple of inches.

WindyCitySteelerFan
12-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Even Ray Lewis admitted defeat on Sportscenter.

Their defense allowed us to go 93 yards in the final stretch. We won the game.

Even if they didn't allow the TD at the end (which if you look at the camera angle from above it CLEARLY breaks the plain).. , we would've still gotten it, on the final inches drive. The game is over. We beat the Ravens, twice.

We've had the toughest schedule in the NFL, overcome TERRIBLE ref calls, and defeated very strong teams. Perhaps its good game calling, good plays, great time management.... and not "dumb luck"

MACH1
12-15-2008, 12:22 AM
I think they would have gone for it. If you can't get two inches then you don't deserve it. IMO

DJ919
12-15-2008, 12:47 AM

I say go for the TD

It was a no-brainer...its cool to be at the game and take real notice of the things you generally don't take notice of while watching the game on the tube. We drove them to the dirt for 92 consistent, damn near un-interupted yards. TRUST me when I tell you this, Baltimore's D was simply wore out. They were like the punched out boxer that just didn't have any more to give. God bless em because they damn sure came to fight, but seriously, we would have punched in that TD without a doubt in my mine from the one,,,, nor all the Ravens fans that surrounded me ... Damn good Win Steelers!...You made my trip back to the car REAL sweet! :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02: ...Hats off to the Ravens fans though...Got to give it to em guys...They were a class act and didn't cause not ONE problem. Not even at the tailgating...The trash talking was kept to a friendly, respected rivalry level.

SteelersMongol
12-15-2008, 12:57 AM
Go 4 TD with no doubt. I might've even hand it 2 Troy & make take it over the top.:wink02:

SteelCurtain7
12-15-2008, 01:18 AM

I think I would have kicked the field goal and trusted the defense to carry it out.

That's my playcall of choice, too. :tt: There's a lot less risk of that backfiring than in handing off to either the RB or FB.

BrandonCarr39
12-15-2008, 01:23 AM

I say go for the TD

FG-Baltimore's offense wasn't good enough anyways to do much damage in OT.

fansince'76
12-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Kick the FG - we've been stuffed for losses too many times in that exact situation this season.

The Duke
12-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Kick the FG - we've been stuffed for losses too many times in that exact situation this season.

Yep. I'd usually say go for it, but short yardage offense has been too horrible this season for me to trust them

Rhee Rhee
12-15-2008, 02:29 AM

exactly what i was thinking and exactly what i would've done... considering what happend last week to gary russell on the goalline i think a QB sneak would've been the right call...

steelwall
12-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Kick the FG. No need to gamble when you have them on their heels, as well as the #1 defense.

JEFF4i
12-15-2008, 02:40 AM
I say go for it. Dallas would've wanted us to kick the fieldgoal though, hehehe.

Galax Steeler
12-15-2008, 05:18 AM
I would have went for it if we wouldn't have got it then our deffense would have had them pinned down in there endzone.

stillers4me
12-15-2008, 06:09 AM

You are correct, sir!

And welcome back, TNewman!

Steeldude
12-15-2008, 07:07 AM
i am still wondering why the steelers spiked the ball on 1st and goal on the 4-yard line with 1:04 left and two timeouts remaining. they wasted a down.

43Hitman
12-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Kick the FG. No need to gamble when you have them on their heels, as well as the #1 defense.

I agree, we almost lost last week because of an emotional decision. You have to kick the FG to put the game in OT. And if we get the ball drive for the game winning FG, if not then you rely on your defense to hold them just like they did all game.

markymarc
12-15-2008, 09:56 AM
While the conservative in me says kick the FG to send this game into over time I have no doubt that Tomlin would have went for it on 4th down. I just believe he wanted the win on that last drive and not send it into over time.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I am a firm believer in "keeping yourself in the game"...so I would have went for the tie...but I have NO DOUBT that Tomlin would have went for it.

stlrtruck
12-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Go for it!

This is football and it's a battle of wills!

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 10:16 AM
i am still wondering why the steelers spiked the ball on 1st and goal on the 4-yard line with 1:04 left and two timeouts remaining. they wasted a down.

That was a huge f#$% up that has been overlooked because we won. I thought we still had 1 timout left, not 2, if we had 2, that is 10 times worse. But even 1 timeout, we could've run 2 pass plays and 1 rush play easily and still have time for the field goal. It was a waste of a down and whoever made that decision is an idiot.

X-Terminator
12-15-2008, 10:25 AM
That was a huge f#$% up that has been overlooked because we won. I thought we still had 1 timout left, not 2, if we had 2, that is 10 times worse. But even 1 timeout, we could've run 2 pass plays and 1 rush play easily and still have time for the field goal. It was a waste of a down and whoever made that decision is an idiot.

Seriously, does it really matter right now?

Back to the topic, I'd have kicked the FG and took my chances in OT.

HometownGal
12-15-2008, 10:35 AM

There should be no woulda, coulda, shoulda. Ben and the O did what they needed to do to win this game, as championship teams do. End of story. :drink:

I, too, would have gone for the sure 3 on Jeff Reed's toe and taken my chances in OT.

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Seriously, does it really matter right now?

Back to the topic, I'd have kicked the FG and took my chances in OT.

There should be no woulda, coulda, shoulda. Ben and the O did what they needed to do to win this game, as championship teams do. End of story. :drink:

I, too, would have gone for the sure 3 on Jeff Reed's toe and taken my chances in OT.

New slogan from the surgeon general:

"Just be happy you survived you're heart attack, don't bother asking or wondering why it happened."

revefsreleets
12-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm a Cowherball fan, so my first inclination would have been to kick the FG and send it into OT.

However, in this particular case, I'd have gone for it based on two factors: A) We had incredible momentum, and the ball would have been at the 1" line. Ben would've found a way, and B) The Rats outplayed us in only one facet, but it was a big one, and that was special teams. A nice return and a play or two and they could have kicked the easy FG for a cheap win.

More reason why the NFL needs to adopt the college OT system.

X-Terminator
12-15-2008, 11:53 AM

"Just be happy you survived you're heart attack, don't bother asking or wondering why it happened."

I'll take that as a no.

But because you want to nitpick, Ben is the one who called for the spike. He didn't need to, but he probably felt they were going to try to run it in rather than pass, so he wanted to save the TO in case they didn't make it. If that was the case, then spiking the ball on 1st down makes sense.

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I'll take that as a no.

But because you want to nitpick, Ben is the one who called for the spike. He didn't need to, but he probably felt they were going to try to run it in rather than pass, so he wanted to save the TO in case they didn't make it. If that was the case, then spiking the ball on 1st down makes sense.

Sorry Terminator, under no circumstances does spiking the ball make any sense if they had a timeout left. If it was Roethlisberger who made the decision, then he was wrong. I personally doubt the decision was his.

TackleMeBen
12-15-2008, 12:05 PM
well if this is all we have to disagree about then i think ben played well enough to get us a win.... i mean who cares if he spiked the ball or not.... its over and we should move on... the guy will get critizied if he blinks at the wrong time.

HometownGal
12-15-2008, 12:11 PM

Apples and oranges. Life threaning situation > a football game any way you slice it.

NYC - seriously buddy - you should be jumping for joy that the team we all love and support gutted and gritted it out, went 92 yards down the field against a damned good D that pretty much stalled us through 3-1/2 Q's of the game and pulled out the W, instead of what-if'ing and nitpicking. Again - that is what championship teams do. They look adversity straight in the puss and go for the gusto as our Steelers did last night.

BE PROUD instead of being a sour puss - your heart will thank you for it! :wink02::hug:

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 12:13 PM
well if this is all we have to disagree about then i think ben played well enough to get us a win.... i mean who cares if he spiked the ball or not.... its over and we should move on... the guy will get critizied if he blinks at the wrong time.

Yes I was criticizing Roethlisberger, I do it all the time. I think he's a bum, overrated, a bad passer, interception machine, horrible quarterback and Leftwich should start. That is why I pointed out the spike.

TackleMeBen
12-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Yes I was criticizing Roethlisberger, I do it all the time. I think he's a bum, overrated, a bad passer, interception machine, horrible quarterback and Leftwich should start. That is why I pointed out the spike.
now that you told us how you really feel.:chuckle:... all that matters is that we won the game and now sit pretty darn well in the playoffs... and dont get me wrong, i do my fair share of yelling and critizing ben too... there has been many times i wanted to take a frying pan upside his head for some plays, but dude come off it.. it was a spike that didnt hurt the team...:thumbsup:

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Apples and oranges. Life threaning situation > a football game any way you slice it.

NYC - seriously buddy - you should be jumping for joy that the team we all love and support gutted and gritted it out, went 92 yards down the field against a damned good D that pretty much stalled us through 3-1/2 Q's of the game and pulled out the W, instead of what-if'ing and nitpicking. Again - that is what championship teams do. They look adversity straight in the puss and go for the gusto as our Steelers did last night.

BE PROUD instead of being a sour puss - your heart will thank you for it! :wink02::hug:

It wasn't nitpicking, it was curiosity if there was logic behind the spike or if it was a big f#$% up and who's f#$% up it was. Roethlisberger is not one to choke or get nervous under pressure. He's been in countless situations like last night and has come through with flying colors. I just found it very odd and doubted that it was Roethlisberger's decision to make such a bad play.

A sourpuss would say, "eh that last TD was a gift and Baltimore's defense is overrated, we'll lose in the first round of the playoffs like we always do." Now that is a f#$%ing sourpuss! I was and still am very happy they won, not as happy as some because I was already confident we were already in the playoffs after we beat the Patriots 2 weeks ago and I did my celebrating that week. But apparently anything short of cheerleading is considered "sourpussness" by some members.

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I think he would have kicked the 3 and sent the game to OT. However, it also would have changed the way the Ravens played with 43 seconds left, since they would have only needed 3 to win, not a TD to win.

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
It wasn't nitpicking, it was curiosity if there was logic behind the spike or if it was a big f#$% up and who's f#$% up it was. Roethlisberger is not one to choke or get nervous under pressure. He's been in countless situations like last night and has come through with flying colors. I just found it very odd and doubted that it was Roethlisberger's decision to make such a bad play.

A sourpuss would say, "eh that last TD was a gift and Baltimore's defense is overrated, we'll lose in the first round of the playoffs like we always do." Now that is a f#$%ing sourpuss! I was and still am very happy they won, not as happy as some because I was already confident we were already in the playoffs after we beat the Patriots 2 weeks ago and I did my celebrating that week. But apparently anything short of cheerleading is considered "sourpussness" by some members.

You nailed it!

HometownGal
12-15-2008, 01:17 PM

My point is and has been with regard to the spike, simply put -

At this point, WHO IN THE BLOODY BLUE HELL CARES?????

The O did what it had to do to get the 6, win the game, clinch the division crown, grab a 1st round bye in the playoffs - end of story. :banging:

I have no problem with you having a differing opinion, NYC - this is a board of opinions and I respect that. What I DO have a problem with is arrogance and the beliefs that a couple of members have that their opinions are gospel and the only opinions that hold any merit around here.

If sticking by my QB, who has played through injuries all season and has given all he's got to win while playing through those injuries, is being a cheerleader - I'll PROUDLY wear that title.

RAH RAH, SIS BOOM BAH!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

P.S. Please watch the F-bombs. Thanks.

Hobbes
12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
I too was curious about the spike, thanks for finding the reason behind it.
I know it's not the popular choice but I would have kicked the FG. I know we had the Ratbirds D on the ropes but we had them wore down on both sides of the ball. I liked our chaces in OT.

Steeldude
12-15-2008, 01:31 PM
i have no faith in the steelers' O-line to get one inch. they are pushed around too easily and miss too many assignments.

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 03:14 PM
My point is and has been with regard to the spike, simply put -

1. At this point, WHO IN THE BLOODY BLUE HELL CARES?????

2. I have no problem with you having a differing opinion, NYC - this is a board of opinions and I respect that. What I DO have a problem with is arrogance and the beliefs that a couple of members have that their opinions are gospel and the only opinions that hold any merit around here.

3. If sticking by my QB, who has played through injuries all season and has given all he's got to win while playing through those injuries, is being a cheerleader - I'll PROUDLY wear that title.

RAH RAH, SIS BOOM BAH!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

P.S. Please watch the F-bombs. Thanks.

1. I care, I love the team to the point where I feel I need to be made aware of decisions made. Of course I don't need to be made aware and usually won't be. But I still care and like to know certain things. I'm sure many on this forum would read an article about Roethlisberger's favorite food. To that I would say, "who the *beep* cares?". But I won't say it out loud and I won't ask those forum members why in the hell they care what Roethlisberger eats and what his favorite food is. That's their business if they want to know.

2. I know all too well of arrogant members who speak as if what they say is gospel and only their opinion holds merit and every word that comes out of their mouth is fact.

3. I was actually referring to the cheerleading in the sense of not being able to say anything negative or have any negative views or opinions without getting pounced on by subjectively biased, crazed fans. There is nothing wrong with cheerleading for an individual player who is someones hero or idol, but the cheerleading shouldn't interfere with others rights to post something none cheerleader'ish. There is no doubt in my mind that it was not Roethlisberger's decision to spike that ball. Spiking the football is not a quarterback decision, it's a sideline decision and it's just further evidence of the incompetence on the offensive side of the football that this team is forced to deal with. Is it a fact that it was not Roethlisberger's decision? I won't say that and that is why I posted, to see if anyone else had any insight on it. But in my personal OPINION there is no doubt that it was an idiotic sideline decision.

SteelerFanInCA
12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
I think I would have went for the score. Go for the win instead of the tie.

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 04:11 PM
with this team's history in short yardage situations, I'd kick the FG every day and twice on Sunday. Turn the game over to the heart of this team, the defense, and take my chances with them.

LVSteelersfan
12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm afraid I have to agree on the spiking the ball with two timeouts. It would have been third and inches instead of fourth down if they wouldn't have given us the TD. I am deliriously happy as hell we won but that was an absolutely boneheaded move. Are these guys really NFL coaches? Any fan in the stand would know better than wasting a down like that. I don't always agree with NYC but in this case he is dead on right. Stupid mistakes like that in the playoffs will sink us.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
12-15-2008, 06:29 PM
i dont see how you all think we would go for it that easily,

kick the FG, tie it, and win the game in OT... the ravens D messed us up all game, why risk the game on one play?

SteelCityKingsVP
12-15-2008, 06:39 PM
You mean the ONLY touchdown. I would like to think they'd of just taken 3 and gone to ot

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 06:44 PM
i agree. i think if it was overturned they'd go for 3 and tie it. take it into OT and MAYBE get the ball and win it. let the D take over and do what it does best...that's alot of pressure. but yeah...we can handle it.

i don't know about yous guys, but i'm not into talking about "woulda, coulda, shoulda, and what ifs!" -- we won and we did it ugly. but we won and that's all that matters, right?!

OX1947
12-15-2008, 06:45 PM
If they hadn't overturned it, the ball would have literally been one inch away from the end zone plane. If you cant do a QB sneak for one inch with a 6'5 QB, then you don't deserve to even be in the NFL.

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 06:53 PM
true. but that defense for the Raisins would've been on fire man. it would've been risky and the Steelers have a horrible record on 4th down conversions. history would slap us in the face and we'd be tied for first...no division title...and going into playing the Tennessee Toddlers with a stupid uneccesary loss.

i'm glad it was called a TD because i couldn't live with myself thinking it was a true TD and we botched the game on making a bad play call. whether it was right or wrong...the total goes UP in our win column and that's all that matters.

X-Terminator
12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm afraid I have to agree on the spiking the ball with two timeouts. It would have been third and inches instead of fourth down if they wouldn't have given us the TD. I am deliriously happy as hell we won but that was an absolutely boneheaded move. Are these guys really NFL coaches? Any fan in the stand would know better than wasting a down like that. I don't always agree with NYC but in this case he is dead on right. Stupid mistakes like that in the playoffs will sink us.

First of all, they only had ONE timeout. Second, I don't understand what is so friggin Earth-shattering about spiking the ball in that situation. Now if they had run the ball like I think they expected to do, that would have run more time off the clock and they would have been forced to burn the time out anyway, leaving them NO CHOICE but to throw and would have made things easier on the Rats' D. Plus, did you ever stop to think that maybe Ben spiked it so that they could get things under control before running another play?

At this point, it really doesn't matter, because the Steelers still won the game. Instead of nitpicking over minutia and playing armchair QB not long after the game ended, why don't we enjoy the win for a little bit first? Sheesh!

LetsRock
12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
exactly what i was thinking and exactly what i would've done... considering what happend last week to gary russell on the goalline i think a QB sneak would've been the right call...

A QB sneek with Ben taking the snap and quickly reaching the ball over the goal for the win. That would have put a stake in the heart of the RatBird Defense. If they hold, they win.

VTsteel
12-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Max Starks said that They would've gone fot it . . . I woulda kicked the FG

:noidea:

WindyCitySteelerFan
12-15-2008, 08:23 PM
I have total faith in #7 getting it done. He can out maneuver most defenses out there. He makes the plays when we need them the most.

If there is ANYTHING that need to change on our O line is perhaps some good lessons in catching very catchable balls. Or perhaps we should look for a good wide receiver next year....Perhaps they can take some notes from our defense. They have no problems catching interceptions.

LetsRock
12-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Or... direct snap to Heath Miller. Heath NEVER gets negative yardage.

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
First of all, they only had ONE timeout. Second, I don't understand what is so friggin Earth-shattering about spiking the ball in that situation. Now if they had run the ball like I think they expected to do, that would have run more time off the clock and they would have been forced to burn the time out anyway, leaving them NO CHOICE but to throw and would have made things easier on the Rats' D. Plus, did you ever stop to think that maybe Ben spiked it so that they could get things under control before running another play?

At this point, it really doesn't matter, because the Steelers still won the game. Instead of nitpicking over minutia and playing armchair QB not long after the game ended, why don't we enjoy the win for a little bit first? Sheesh!

Wy wouldn't you take the timeout to get "things under control" instead of wasting a down? You would still be able to run a rush play and 2 quick pass plays and have just a few seconds left to run a field goal if necessary. I can understand saying it, "it doesn't matter, we won." But I don't understand how anyone can reasonably justify spiking the ball. It just doesn't make sense.

1st down on the opponent's 4 yards line and 1:04 seconds remaining, 1 timeout. There is absolutely no reason or circumstance that would necessitate spiking the football.

X-Terminator
12-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Wy wouldn't you take the timeout to get "things under control" instead of wasting a down? You would still be able to run a rush play and 2 quick pass plays and have just a few seconds left to run a field goal if necessary. I can understand saying it, "it doesn't matter, we won." But I don't understand how anyone can reasonably justify spiking the ball. It just doesn't make sense.

1st down on the opponent's 4 yards line and 1:04 seconds remaining, 1 timeout. There is absolutely no reason or circumstance that would necessitate spiking the football.

OK, I see your point, though I'd still rather save the TO than burn it in that situation, not to mention that burning it at that point takes the run completely out of the equation. It would be too risky with no timeouts, and would likely force them to spike the ball to stop the clock anyway. But it didn't cost the team a win, so I'll give it a pass.

PisnNapalm
12-15-2008, 09:01 PM
I think they would have gone for it. If you can't get two inches then you don't deserve it. IMO

Agreed. I was telling my Ma during the play review. They line up Miller at fullback behind Ben and QB sneak it for that few inches. If the center, Ben and Miller can't push forward for a few inches then we don't deserve the win. That was a helluva drive and it'd suck to end it with a field goal.

jdsdaguy
12-16-2008, 06:33 AM
:tt:i would have gone for it! but i would like to point out that (from what i've heard)tomlin hasn't said what decision they had made. go for it or tie. that shows me a coach not giving up one bit of info that could help another team in a similiar situation. i'm really gaining alot of respect for tomlin. i am so much on his wagon that i'm drivin it.:tt:

The_WARDen
12-16-2008, 09:25 AM

well, there is one reason...they panicked.

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 03:32 PM
well, there is one reason...they panicked.

I definitely know that is the reason, I was just wondering who, Tomlin or Arian's. As long as that type of panic doesn't occur again, it's water under the bridge at this point.

revefsreleets
12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
1. I care, I love the team to the point where I feel I need to be made aware of decisions made. Of course I don't need to be made aware and usually won't be. But I still care and like to know certain things. I'm sure many on this forum would read an article about Roethlisberger's favorite food. To that I would say, "who the *beep* cares?". But I won't say it out loud and I won't ask those forum members why in the hell they care what Roethlisberger eats and what his favorite food is. That's their business if they want to know.

2. I know all too well of arrogant members who speak as if what they say is gospel and only their opinion holds merit and every word that comes out of their mouth is fact.

3. I was actually referring to the cheerleading in the sense of not being able to say anything negative or have any negative views or opinions without getting pounced on by subjectively biased, crazed fans. There is nothing wrong with cheerleading for an individual player who is someones hero or idol, but the cheerleading shouldn't interfere with others rights to post something none cheerleader'ish. There is no doubt in my mind that it was not Roethlisberger's decision to spike that ball. Spiking the football is not a quarterback decision, it's a sideline decision and it's just further evidence of the incompetence on the offensive side of the football that this team is forced to deal with. Is it a fact that it was not Roethlisberger's decision? I won't say that and that is why I posted, to see if anyone else had any insight on it. But in my personal OPINION there is no doubt that it was an idiotic sideline decision.

Whatever. You're still (and always will be) the pretentious little baby machine who repeatedly stated you wanted to shit in my mouth. That stuff was cleaned up for you, but I didn't forget, and I won't forgive. You are about as moderate and reasonable as Richard Nixon a 3 day coke/acid binge, no matter how much you backpeddle and him and haw.

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Whatever. You're still (and always will be) the pretentious little baby machine who repeatedly stated you wanted to shit in my mouth. That stuff was cleaned up for you, but I didn't forget, and I won't forgive. You are about as moderate and reasonable as Richard Nixon a 3 day coke/acid binge, no matter how much you backpeddle and him and haw.

And you'll always get away with saying whatever you want because you're on the moderator's friends list. Continue to go around and arrogantly condescend and subtly insult and be rude to anyone who doesn't agree with you, I'm sure many other would do the same if they also could get away with it.

And I'm glad you didn't forgive cause I never appologized and never would, I genuinely meant what I said and would never take it back.

revefsreleets
12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
And you'll always get away with saying whatever you want because you're on the moderator's friends list. Continue to go around and arrogantly condescend and subtly insult and be rude to anyone who doesn't agree with you, I'm sure many other would do the same if they also could get away with it.

And I'm glad you didn't forgive cause I never appologized and never would, I genuinely meant what I said and would never take it back.

arrogantly condescend and subtly insult and be rude to anyone who doesn't agree with you,

Toss in a little bannable scat reference, and you just described yourself to a tee.

I know you. I've seen a thousand of you before and will see a million more. You won't last one way or the other, even if you AREN'T a previously banned retread. What difference does it make anyway? You turds always end up flushing yourselves in the end.

43Hitman
12-16-2008, 05:31 PM
:popcorn:

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 05:36 PM
arrogantly condescend and subtly insult and be rude to anyone who doesn't agree with you,

Toss in a little bannable scat reference, and you just described yourself to a tee.

I know you. I've seen a thousand of you before and will see a million more. You won't last one way or the other, even if you AREN'T a previously banned retread. What difference does it make anyway? You turds always end up flushing yourselves in the end.

7,000 insightful posts insulting members who have the audacity to not think whatever you think, I'm sure you've seen a lot of things. Keep posting, keep getting that post count up, you'll be a legendary forum snob in no time.

revefsreleets
12-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Tedious. There are dozens of kids like these on every board. They all share the common trait of a very short MB lifespan...

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Tedious. There are dozens of kids like these on every board. They all share the common trait of a very short MB lifespan...

I'm sure you take lots of pride in making sure of that huh. I'll have a trophy made for you. "Forum Enforcer"

HometownGal
12-16-2008, 08:52 PM

Moderators' friends list???? I resent that comment tremendously and you owe both Gary and I an apology. :mad::mad::mad:

As people will tell you around here - we play NO FAVES. I have infracted personal friends of mine here when they've crossed the line and I'm sure they'd verify what I'm saying. Gary has as well.

Disagree with another poster all you want - good debate is healthy as long as it is done respectfully. Quite honestly, though, you and a few others around here do nothing but spew negativity whether the team wins or loses. If there isn't a reason to B & M, you create one and frankly - it's getting ridiculous. Enjoy and savor the victory instead of looking for a reason to complain!!! Every week in the Game Day thread, I see the boo birds lurking about just waiting for Ben or any other player (as well as the Steelers coaching staff) to make a mistake so they can pounce on him/them like flies on shit. Amazingly, however, these FWF's never post at any other time. :coffee:

You have a very good football mind, NYC, and I'd love to see more of that here instead of these ridiculous pissing matches and the "Negative Ned" attitude. In fairness to you, though, I realize that you don't always initiate them, but I'm sure you realize that fueling the fire with a snarky reply only exacerbates the situation and it snowballs out of control. You do have the option of putting those members whose posts you choose not to read on ignore. If you need to know how to do that, please just ask.

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Moderators' friends list???? I resent that comment tremendously and you owe both Gary and I an apology. :mad::mad::mad:

As people will tell you around here - we play NO FAVES. I have infracted personal friends of mine here when they've crossed the line and I'm sure they'd verify what I'm saying. Gary has as well.

Disagree with another poster all you want - good debate is healthy as long as it is done respectfully. Quite honestly, though, you and a few others around here do nothing but spew negativity whether the team wins or loses. If there isn't a reason to B & M, you create one and frankly - it's getting ridiculous. Enjoy and savor the victory instead of looking for a reason to complain!!! Every week in the Game Day thread, I see the boo birds lurking about just waiting for Ben or any other player (as well as the Steelers coaching staff) to make a mistake so they can pounce on him/them like flies on shit. Amazingly, however, these FWF's never post at any other time. :coffee:

You have a very good football mind, NYC, and I'd love to see more of that here instead of these ridiculous pissing matches and the "Negative Ned" attitude. In fairness to you, though, I realize that you don't always initiate them, but I'm sure you realize that fueling the fire with a snarky reply only exacerbates the situation and it snowballs out of control. You do have the option of putting those members whose posts you choose not to read on ignore. If you need to know how to do that, please just ask.

I must've wrote a novel worth of posts about why Roethlisberger is a top 5 quarterback right here on this forum. I praise the defense. I like Tomlin. I like LeBeau even more. I like Ward. I like Holmes. I love Polamalu, Harrison, Woodly, Farrior, I can go on for hours. Most importantly, I love the Steelers. But when someone else starts a thread that says, "POLAMALU IS THE BEST", what am I supposed to add to that? "yeah!"?

If I start a "negative" thread, it's because no one else has and the topic interests me. I hate Arian's and I think something is wrong with Parker. I thought I could post and discuss in a civil manner about it. I didn't know that every single post has to be positive. To say all I do is spew negativity is a gross exaggeration. Especially since I don't troll into "positive" threads to "spew my negativity".

As for my "moderators friends list" comment. You told me yourself, certain members like to "test" "newbies". Well I know who those certain members are, and they do their "testing" with rudeness, disrespect and insults. Regardless of how subtle or "forum clean" they are about it, rude is rude, disrespectful is disrespectful and an insult is an insult. Calling someone a turd is the same thing as calling them a piece of $hit despite one word being in the dictionary and the other not.

2 members spent a good hour trying to provoke me into a "meltdown" aka getting myself banned. They didn't do it by sending me hugs and kisses. They did it with disrespect and insults. I appologize for insinuating you play favorites, for all I know they get an infraction every day.

If I want to discuss Parker not being good with other members, I'll start a thread and attempt to discuss it peacefully. But it is becoming more and more apparent that if "certain" members don't agree with the post, the discussion will go nowhere fast and they'll make sure of it.

HometownGal
12-16-2008, 11:08 PM
I must've wrote a novel worth of posts about why Roethlisberger is a top 5 quarterback right here on this forum. I praise the defense. I like Tomlin. I like LeBeau even more. I like Ward. I like Holmes. I love Polamalu, Harrison, Woodly, Farrior, I can go on for hours. Most importantly, I love the Steelers. But when someone else starts a thread that says, "POLAMALU IS THE BEST", what am I supposed to add to that? "yeah!"?

If I start a "negative" thread, it's because no one else has and the topic interests me. I hate Arian's and I think something is wrong with Parker. I thought I could post and discuss in a civil manner about it. I didn't know that every single post has to be positive. To say all I do is spew negativity is a gross exaggeration. Especially since I don't troll into "positive" threads to "spew my negativity".

I'm not going to waste my time or font addressing the above. Your record speaks for itself - sorry.

As for my "moderators friends list" comment. You told me yourself, certain members like to "test" "newbies". Well I know who those certain members are, and they do their "testing" with rudeness, disrespect and insults. Regardless of how subtle or "forum clean" they are about it, rude is rude, disrespectful is disrespectful and an insult is an insult. Calling someone a turd is the same thing as calling them a piece of $hit despite one word being in the dictionary and the other not.

Sure new members are put to the "test" to see what they've got to contribute to the forum - it happens on every BB on the internet. I also told you that you came across from day one as arrogant and know-it-all-ish and that was the biggest reason why you have had a problem being accepted around here and I stand by that statement, NYC. When you ride in here like a gangbuster and start throwing negativity all around, you should expect to get some flak for it. You aren't the first to exhibit these behaviors and you surely won't be the last. I've participated in sports BB's for a lot of years and trust me when I tell you - respect is earned, not handed out. :thumbsup:

2 members spent a good hour trying to provoke me into a "meltdown" aka getting myself banned. They didn't do it by sending me hugs and kisses. They did it with disrespect and insults. I appologize for insinuating you play favorites, for all I know they get an infraction every day.

You are responsible for your own behaviors and how you address those who you feel are trying to provoke you. See my statement above about the "scent" you give off. I learned many moons ago that a dissenting opinion can be rendered on any given subject and be accepted whether agreed to or not - if done so in a respectful fashion.

As I also told you - I cannot reveal who receives infractions and who doesn't, as that would not only go against my moral values, but would be a breach of confidence.

If I want to discuss Parker not being good with other members, I'll start a thread and attempt to discuss it peacefully. But it is becoming more and more apparent that if "certain" members don't agree with the post, the discussion will go nowhere fast and they'll make sure of it

If you or the other Parker/Arians (and Ben) haters would produce logical reasonings as to why you feel they should be run out of town on the first T-train instead of just throwing shit up there and hoping something sticks, maybe your opinions would be better received. Just a suggestion.

NYC SteelersFan
12-18-2008, 02:43 AM
Sure new members are put to the "test" to see what they've got to contribute to the forum - it happens on every BB on the internet. I also told you that you came across from day one as arrogant and know-it-all-ish and that was the biggest reason why you have had a problem being accepted around here and I stand by that statement, NYC. When you ride in here like a gangbuster and start throwing negativity all around, you should expect to get some flak for it. You aren't the first to exhibit these behaviors and you surely won't be the last. I've participated in sports BB's for a lot of years and trust me when I tell you - respect is earned, not handed out. :thumbsup:

Never knew I had to earn respect before posting. I've been on other forums before also, all technical forums and they all had a "geek Hierarchy" that had to be bowed down to before the "newbies" could speak out of turn. I just didn't think the same system would be in place on a sports forum. Especially not a Steelers forum, it's not a snobbish city, never thought the forum would be. I'm the idiot for assuming.

I come off as arrogant and know-it-all-ish? Why because I don't agree with what you and the other 5,000+ posters say? Because I dare to start a thread that one of you don't agree with? I come off as arrogant and know-it-all-ish? Here is what you and others come off as:

"Ride in here like gangbusters and speak ill of our beloved Willie Parker you intolerable peasant! Who gave thy permission to post such dribble amongst us royal forum members sub 1,000 postee??"

"Insolent fool! Who art thou to question why the ball was spiked on first down with 1:04 remaining and a timeout left. Enjoy the win and mind your tongue boy!"

You are responsible for your own behaviors and how you address those who you feel are trying to provoke you. See my statement above about the "scent" you give off. I learned many moons ago that a dissenting opinion can be rendered on any given subject and be accepted whether agreed to or not - if done so in a respectful fashion.

As I also told you - I cannot reveal who receives infractions and who doesn't, as that would not only go against my moral values, but would be a breach of confidence.

Perhaps your definition of respectful is not univeral. If I get a 5 point infraction for calling someone more stupid after they call me stupid. The fact that an unmentioned member has done nothing but insult me and other members in 90% of his posts tells me that you either need 1,000+ points worth of infractions to get banned or justice is not blind here.

If you or the other Parker/Arians (and Ben) haters would produce logical reasonings as to why you feel they should be run out of town on the first T-train instead of just throwing shit up there and hoping something sticks, maybe your opinions would be better received. Just a suggestion.

No one has started a thread saying, "Willie Parker sucks cause I say so!" or "Arian's sucks cause he's fat and ugly!" All the posts I and many others have posted contain logical stats and respectful arguements for their gripe with Parker or Arian's. Your above paragraph says one of two things. Either you don't read the posts or you just crap on anything that is not to your personal liking. One thing that your above paragraph shows for certain is the fact that you also have the ability to subtly insult members for their opinions. You're just as talented as other members in doing it in a manner that doesn't break "forum policy."

(I and others who post negative comments about Parker and Arian's have no logic or reason, we just spew nonesense hoping it ends up making sense) This is what you said. Now next time you're near two people having a conversation loud enough for you to hear, walk up to them and say, "maybe if you two used logic or some form of intelligence in your conversation, others wouldn't mind, but if all you two are going to do is spew crap, please tone it down so I don't have to hear it". Do that, then come back and tell me what happened to you.

X-Terminator
12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Never knew I had to earn respect before posting. I've been on other forums before also, all technical forums and they all had a "geek Hierarchy" that had to be bowed down to before the "newbies" could speak out of turn. I just didn't think the same system would be in place on a sports forum. Especially not a Steelers forum, it's not a snobbish city, never thought the forum would be. I'm the idiot for assuming.

Yeah, you would be, because every single board I have ever been on in the past 8 years has been exactly the same, no matter the subject. You have to earn respect the same way you earn it in RL. If you're overbearing and condescending out on the street, do you really think people are going to take you seriously? No? Why then should it be any different in cyberspace?

I come off as arrogant and know-it-all-ish? Why because I don't agree with what you and the other 5,000+ posters say? Because I dare to start a thread that one of you don't agree with? I come off as arrogant and know-it-all-ish? Here is what you and others come off as:

"Ride in here like gangbusters and speak ill of our beloved Willie Parker you intolerable peasant! Who gave thy permission to post such dribble amongst us royal forum members sub 1,000 postee??"

"Insolent fool! Who art thou to question why the ball was spiked on first down with 1:04 remaining and a timeout left. Enjoy the win and mind your tongue boy!"

Sometimes you do, dude. Sorry. And as far as bashing Parker, there is a member here who has bashed him more than you, for a lot longer than you, and he does not get any flak for it. Why? Because it's not ALL he ever talks about. He doesn't constantly infuse the board with negativity. He is also respectful about it and doesn't think his opinion is the gospel. The other Parker bashers...well, don't always do all of those things, let's just put it that way.

Cute attempt at a backhanded swipe, BTW.

Perhaps your definition of respectful is not univeral. If I get a 5 point infraction for calling someone more stupid after they call me stupid. The fact that an unmentioned member has done nothing but insult me and other members in 90% of his posts tells me that you either need 1,000+ points worth of infractions to get banned or justice is not blind here.

You might want to be REAL careful when you make that last statement, especially with respect to the "unmentioned member" you speak of. You know what they say when you assume...

No one has started a thread saying, "Willie Parker sucks cause I say so!" or "Arian's sucks cause he's fat and ugly!" All the posts I and many others have posted contain logical stats and respectful arguements for their gripe with Parker or Arian's. Your above paragraph says one of two things. Either you don't read the posts or you just crap on anything that is not to your personal liking. One thing that your above paragraph shows for certain is the fact that you also have the ability to subtly insult members for their opinions. You're just as talented as other members in doing it in a manner that doesn't break "forum policy."

Yeah, being anti-negativity is "crapping on anything that's not to your personal liking." Give me a break. All people have been saying is GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!!! How many anti-Parker and anti-Arians threads do you need on this board? It's been beaten to death so many times that it's gotten tedious. We win a game, and it's all "Parker can't do this," and "Arians is horrible, he needs to go." Do you HAVE to dwell on the same crap over and over and over again, especially when the team is 11-3? How about a little more positive thinking and actually showing that you're happy with wins and where the team stands right now? Sheesh! :banging:

(I and others who post negative comments about Parker and Arian's have no logic or reason, we just spew nonesense hoping it ends up making sense) This is what you said. Now next time you're near two people having a conversation loud enough for you to hear, walk up to them and say, "maybe if you two used logic or some form of intelligence in your conversation, others wouldn't mind, but if all you two are going to do is spew crap, please tone it down so I don't have to hear it". Do that, then come back and tell me what happened to you.

I've done that, and not a damn thing happened other than angry stares. Your point?

stlrtruck
12-18-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm willing to bet even if the Steelers won the Super Bowl you'd find something to bitch about!?

We all know and understand that this team is far from perfect, but I'll be damned if they aren't the best imperfect team I know of in the NFL!

The_WARDen
12-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Man! The pom poms have been ruffled.

:cheer:

NYC SteelersFan
12-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I've done that, and not a damn thing happened other than angry stares. Your point?

To this I say you're either a liar or you did it to two 5 year olds or two 75 year old women otherwise you would've gotten spit in your face or punched in your face.

As for the rest of post; When I first came to this forum, I spent page after page after page arguing with LamberIsGod58 about how good Roethlisberger is, you sent me a private message saying,

He's an idiot, just save yourself the headache and put him on ignore, that's what I did and it was the best thing I ever did.

He was an idiot and you told me to put him on ignore cause you didn't agree with him. I on the other hand chose to respectfully argue and argue and argue until a mutual respect for both of our points was reached. He turned out to be a stand up guy who wasn't afraid to say what he thought despite what the popular opinion on the board was. You on the other hand turned out to be someone who calls people idiots when you don't agree with them and your solution is to put them on ignnore.

Do yourself a favor and put me on your ignore list as well.

NYC SteelersFan
12-18-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm willing to bet even if the Steelers won the Super Bowl you'd find something to bitch about!?

We all know and understand that this team is far from perfect, but I'll be damned if they aren't the best imperfect team I know of in the NFL!

The question isn't perfection or lack there of here. The Steelers are the best damn team in the NFL cause defense can win the whole thing without the offense even stepping foot on the field. And if the offense does have to step on the field, Roethlisberger has been clutch and I know he will be int he playoffs like he was in '05. The question in hand is what right members have posting and starting threads that the "secret forum society" does not agree with. It's an internet message board, it's open to everyone. Everyone's opinion is just as valuable as the next person. If someones opinion was more valuable, they wouldn't need an internet forum to share their opinion in the first place.

43Hitman
12-18-2008, 02:42 PM
:popcorn: