PDA

View Full Version : Game ends with some spit and a shove

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Steelers Notebook: Game ends with some spit and a shove
Monday, December 15, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BALTIMORE -- The Ravens and Steelers played one of their typical games, without the kind of obvious rancor that has dotted the series -- almost to the end.

And then Baltimore cornerback Frank Walker had to go and spoil it. At least that's what Steelers punter Mitch Berger said afterward.

Berger accused Walker of spitting in his face after Jeff Reed kicked the point after on Santonio Holmes' winning 4-yard touchdown catch.

"The guy dove, he tried to take out Jeff's knee," said Berger, who holds for Reed's kicks. "I went over there and he got up and he spit in my face -- and they called it on Jeff for pushing him!"

Reed drew a 15-yard penalty that was marked off on his kickoff after the score.

"I tried to get in the middle to separate him but he got in my face and spit right in my mouth. He spit right in my mouth. I'm still trying to spit that ... out. I was talking to him, trying to separate everybody and he spit right in my mouth."

A tip of the cap
Many of the Steelers wore baseball caps announcing them as AFC North Division champions after the game, but you won't see them on their heads anymore.

"To put this hat on and know what you've got," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said while wearing one. "But, I tell you what, you won't see any of us wearing this hat come tomorrow or Tuesday, because it's time to bear down and finish this thing off."

The Steelers clinched at least the No. 2 seed in the conference yesterday, which means they have a bye into the second round of the playoffs and a game at home. Tennessee, at 11-2, holds the No. 1 seed at the moment, but the Steelers can get a leg up on that one with a victory Sunday in Nashville. If they beat the Titans, they will earn the No. 1 seed by beating Cleveland in Heinz Field in the regular-season finale.

"To me, there's no pressure," Roethlisberger said of the game at Tennessee. "It's not like we have to win. We want to win. I think we can play relaxed and have fun."

Big Ben delivers
The Steelers won for the 17th time in the final period when tied or behind with Roethlisberger as their quarterback, and for the second consecutive game.

"I think there was an overwhelming sense that 'We have to do this.' That's how we play," coach Mike Tomlin said of the 92-yard winning drive led by Roethlisberger with seven pass completions. "When rubber meets the road, we have to deliver plays. Our quarterback wants to be the man to deliver them."

All is forgiven
Tomlin publicly and privately admonished Willie Parker last week for complaining about the way the running game has been used this season. Saturday night, he patted him on the back by making him an honorary captain for the game.

Parker and the Steelers' ground game were not particularly effective against the second-best defense in the NFL, but he did have one 10-yard run and finished with 47 yards, part of a 91-yard rushing effort by the Steelers.

"Coach appointed [me] captain right before the game, and I just rolled," said Parker. "We definitely rolled. They knew my frustration, and they know that I'm a team player. Everyone on the team knows that.

"Some of the guys came to me all throughout the week and told me to just hang in there and everything's going to work. But right now, this just feels great."

From low to high
Before he became a hero, Holmes was a goat yesterday. He dropped one pass, fumbled after catching a pass, and muffed a punt. The fumble turned into a Baltimore field goal, but he got fortunate on the punt -- teammate Keyaron Fox recovered the ball and ran 18 yards with it.

"I was just trying to make a play and make something happen," he said of his botched punt. "Things weren't going well for us at that point, so I was probably trying too hard."

Quick hits
The attendance of 71,502 was a record at M&T Bank Stadium.

Berger did a much better job of punting than he did in the previous two games, although his 42-yard average was whittled to a 27.0 net by some good Ravens returns.

The Steelers had only two sacks, one by Aaron Smith and one by Lawrence Timmons, the latter pushing Baltimore out of field goal range and forcing a punt that started the Steelers' winning 92-yard drive.

Hines Ward had his third 100-yard game with eight receptions for 107 yards, and he needs 136 yards in the final two games to hit 1,000 yards for the first time since 2004. He also moved past 10,000 career yards from scrimmage, to 10,031.

The Steelers have outscored their past three opponents, 37-0, in the fourth quarter.

With the victory, Tomlin set a Steelers record with 21 wins in his first two seasons as head coach. He is the first Steelers coach to win division titles in his first two years. The win was also the 550th in Steelers history. It is the first AFC team to reach that plateau.

The Steelers were 8 for 17 on third down, a 47 percent conversion rate, against a Ravens defense that was permitting only 29.5 percent on third down.

The Steelers are 5-0 against the AFC North, with only Cleveland remaining Dec. 28.

Roethlisberger has thrown just one interception in the past five games. He has won 10 consecutive games against divisional opponents.

The Steelers have allowed only three 100-yard rushing performances in the past 80 games. The Ravens ran their streak of not allowing a 100-rusher to 33 games.

The Steelers became only the second team to score more than 10 points against Baltimore at home -- Tennessee is the other.

The Ravens had allowed a total of 13 points in the past nine fourth quarters. The Steelers got 10 yesterday.

Inactives
Steelers: No. 3 QB Dennis Dixon, CB Fernando Bryant, LB Bruce Davis, OT Tony Hills, DL Scott Paxson, OT Marvel Smith, DE Orpheus Roye, DE Brett Keisel.

Baltimore Ravens: No. 3 QB Todd Bouman, WR Terrance Cooper, WR Marcus Maxwell, CB Evan Oglesby, RB Ray Rice, RB Jalen Parmele, OT Oniel Cousins, OT David Hale.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08350/935281-66.stm

xfl2001fan
12-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Were there any particularly good hits from this game? I wasn't able to watch as the Wife pulled the trump card on Christmas shows (with my team playing tonight).

Kvnfaber
12-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Lawrence Timmons had the best hit I would say. He hit Mason over the middle and it popped the ball out and landed Mason on his upper back first, textbook hit, and a big incompletion on a third down late in the game.

xfl2001fan
12-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Well, maybe I'll get a chance to see the hit on Youtube then! Thanx!

The Duke
12-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Even our punter and kicker are tough,lol. They are not gonna let someone push them around like that :tt02:

TackleMeBen
12-15-2008, 10:47 AM
too bad spedulva wasnt out there. i am sure he could have knocked out a few of those guys..lol...

jjpro11
12-15-2008, 10:48 AM
that 15 yard penalty was complete bullshit.

OneForTheToe
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM
too bad spedulva wasnt out there. i am sure he could have knocked out a few of those guys..lol...

If that would have been Sep who got spat on, then I pity that fool Ravens' player, because, no doubt, HTG would have gotten on a plane this morning and straightend him out..:pin::bash:

TackleMeBen
12-15-2008, 11:41 AM
If that would have been Sep who got spat on, then I pity that fool Ravens' player, because, no doubt, HTG would have gotten on a plane this morning and straightend him out..
i think you might be right. and instead of donating to SF we would be donating to the Get HTG out of Ratbird hell prison..lol... :chuckle:

markymarc
12-15-2008, 11:41 AM
that 15 yard penalty was complete bullshit.

Absolutely. That was a horrible call. There was pushing and shoving going on the whole game and they decide to call a penalty on Jeff Reed. Of course they missed all of the pushing and talking going on until Jeff Reed pushed the guy. Leave it to a Rats player for spitting on someone.

tyler289
12-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Yep, they're always classy, those Ravens.

klick81
12-15-2008, 11:51 AM
"I tried to get in the middle to separate him but he got in my face and spit right in my mouth. He spit right in my mouth. I'm still trying to spit that ... out. I was talking to him, trying to separate everybody and he spit right in my mouth."

I literally gagged reading this. I don't know about anyone else, but Berger really showed some restraint, or is a pu$$y. I would have been serving a 4 game suspension had anyone done that to me.

TackleMeBen
12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I literally gagged reading this. I don't know about anyone else, but Berger really showed some restraint, or is a pu$$y. I would have been serving a 4 game suspension had anyone done that to me.
he is a punter. punters arent known for their big guns and strength. unless its sep. now he has some guns and can lay out the biggest guy on the field. lol

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Spitting is just bad form.

fansince'76
12-15-2008, 12:47 PM
It's really too bad Lambert doesn't play nowadays. The guy doing the spitting would be eating his meals through a straw for a few months if he did.

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 12:55 PM
It's really too bad Lambert doesn't play nowadays. The guy doing the spitting would be eating his meals through a straw for a few months if he did.

trouble is...in the pansy NFL, Lambert would then be fined $50K and suspended 4 games.

revefsreleets
12-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I was actually embarrassed that the refs threw the flag on Reed. Couldn't they have found SOMETHING more flagrant then the kicker pushing a guy to toss the make-up call for? It was a horrible reach...

OX1947
12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Were there any particularly good hits from this game? I wasn't able to watch as the Wife pulled the trump card on Christmas shows (with my team playing tonight).

Are you serious?

SteelMember
12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
While the extra point was being kicked, I could clearly see that guy diving at the hold spot and Reed look down at him. I'm sure he had words about going at his leg. I don't think Reed was going to back down or be intimidated at that point.

If they were going to flag anything, they should have called offset unsportsman like penalty's.

lilyoder6
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
it's rly sad when u call a foul on a KICKER!?!?!?!?!?!? at least we now know that reed won't take shit from anyone

xfl2001fan
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Are you serious?

Yes I am. I am a die-hard Browns fan and my wife knows I'm watching the Browns when they play (no matter what is on.) So she said no to the Steelers/Ravens game (a mildly-acceptable compromise for this Browns fan.) Her (and the kids) favorite holiday/shows are all Christmas related. Tis the season. I (instead) chose to work on the house and catch up on Drizz't Do'Urden (I'm re-reading all of his books).

MasterOfPuppets
12-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Yes I am. I am a die-hard Browns fan and my wife knows I'm watching the Browns when they play (no matter what is on.) So she said no to the Steelers/Ravens game (a mildly-acceptable compromise for this Browns fan.) Her (and the kids) favorite holiday/shows are all Christmas related. Tis the season. I (instead) chose to work on the house and catch up on Drizz't Do'Urden (I'm re-reading all of his books).DUDE !!! get yourself ANOTHER tv......:noidea:

xfl2001fan
12-15-2008, 04:44 PM
DUDE !!! get yourself ANOTHER tv......:noidea:

I got two other's, but they're small (13") and it's hard to really follow what's going on without getting right up on them. Besides, I like being with my wife and kids as much as possible.

Not watching the Squeelers/Nevermores game is (mildly) acceptable. Tonight, though, my 36" TV will be tuned into MNF.

tony hipchest
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
the ravens are a piece of shit.

i cant believe im rooting for the cowboys to beat the snot out of them.

i want both teams seasons to come to crushing heartbreaking ends.

43Hitman
12-15-2008, 05:33 PM
the ravens are a piece of shit.

i cant believe im rooting for the cowboys to beat the snot out of them.

i want both teams seasons to come to crushing heartbreaking ends.

maybe they will tie.:chuckle:

St33lersguy
12-15-2008, 05:41 PM
When god made dirty thuglowlife pieces of s*** with no class whatsoever, he had the Baltimore Ratbirds in mind. Befor ratbird fans cry about the TD (which by the way WAS a TD) they should 1st think about the 30 yds of field position the refs handed them by calling the penalty on Jeff Reed for merely DEFENDING himself instead of the thug who was continuing to be a low life piece of crap ( that along with the 30 holds onSilverback that were not suprisingly uncalled)

HometownGal
12-15-2008, 06:01 PM

Damned straight. :thumbsup:

If Cowher was still the HC, I'm sure he could have given that dude a spittle shower he'd never forget. :thumbsup:

What a dirty, disgusting low life PIG.