PDA

View Full Version : Time to give Max Starks some love!

BlastFurnace
12-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I was perplexed as anyone over the deal they gave him last offseason, but he has had a great year this year. Personally, I think he played better than Smith has in years.

I'm glad we did what we did with him. For the coaches who don't think much of him...according to some beat writers...it's time they re-evalutate their thoughts.

If we are smart, we sign Max to a long term deal after this season. He has clearly proven he can do the job at a high level.

The Duke
12-15-2008, 11:02 AM
He had a good game against a great blitzing team. But he is still too inconsistent to be in the steelers future plans

They may keep him, but they have to get the LT of the future in next years draft

HometownGal
12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
He had a good game against a great blitzing team. But he is still too inconsistent to be in the steelers future plans

They may keep him, but they have to get the LT of the future in next years draft

Agreed. Max has played well here and there, but not consistently well and that is my issue with him.

He's being paid the big bucks this season and quite frankly, I don't feel he's earned that kind of moola.

I wouldn't pay out the wazoo for a Cadillac that only runs well half the time - why should the Steelers continue to shell out top dollar for a guy who gets his game on in spurts?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I will give Max credit, he played well. But honestly I kept and close eye on him and have to say he just played average. I too started thinking that maybe we try to sign him to a reasonable contract, but then wondered.....where will he play?? LT or RT??

He honestly isnt a great LT and the more that I think of it, he has great incentive because he is basically playing for a new contract somewhere. For a guy who has had the knock of not being aggressive and sometimes lacking intensity, I dont know if he will maintain any focus or just rest on the laurels of his new deal.

I think there are many possible draft picks that would be better and would rather draft one of them than possibly give Starks a payday and have him underperform to where he is the #3 OT on the depth chart again. I say let some other team overpay for his services just like the Cards did for Oliver Ross back in the day.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't pay out the wazoo for a Cadillac that only runs well half the time - why should the Steelers continue to shell out top dollar for a guy who gets his game on in spurts?

:applaudit:

But, you know there is always somebody out there that is enamoured with Cadillac's that will pay more than fair market to have it. I just hope the Rooney's like more reliable transportation. :wink:

markymarc
12-15-2008, 11:47 AM

I totally agree. We need to get our future LT in the 2009 draft.

tyler289
12-15-2008, 11:51 AM
He played pretty well yesterday - in fact, I thought the offensive line did ok in pass blocking - but I don't think we can rely on him next season. Draft a LT for the future and let Starks be a backup...for backup money.

The Duke
12-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Jordan Gross and John St. Clair

I'd still take those guys over Max any day

steelreserve
12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
He's doing OK, but we shouldn't be paying him like Randy Moss.

SunshineMan21
12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Personally I like him better than Willie Colon at RT . . . he's played decently, but we still need a genuine LT through the draft. Hopefully someone drops.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Jordan Gross and John St. Clair

I'd still take those guys over Max any day
I doubt that the Steelers will shell out for Jordan Gross, but you never know. I watched St. Clair last week and he looks to be carrying a bit of extra weight and is on the downside of his career, but a solid 9 year vet who could play on the left side for 2-3 years while our LT of the future gets some experience would be fine with me.

I dont want to protect Ben's blindside with a rookie.

revefsreleets
12-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Kudo's to Starks.

A lot of this negativity is based on the fact that everything has to be just perfect with the Steelers or it's bitch, bitch, bitch. We need to win every game 100-0 and have 3 150 yards rushers, pass for 450 yards and 7 TD's, have 12 sacks a game and give up none with no penalties on route to a perfect 19-0 season with 25 players in the Pro Bowl, otherwise we've failed.

fansince'76
12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
A lot of this negativity is based on the fact that everything has to be just perfect with the Steelers or it's bitch, bitch, bitch. We need to win every game 100-0 and have 3 150 yards rushers, pass for 450 yards and 7 TD's, have 12 sacks a game and give up none with no penalties on route to a perfect 19-0 season with 25 players in the Pro Bowl, otherwise we've failed.

And even then it wouldn't be enough for some.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Kudo's to Starks.

A lot of this negativity is based on the fact that everything has to be just perfect with the Steelers or it's bitch, bitch, bitch. .

For me its all about improving the guys in front of Ben, Willie, et al. Starks is playing well, but it wouldnt be hard to improve that position without spending too much. Of the 32 starting LT's in the NFL, Starks isnt even top 20.

hindes204
12-15-2008, 01:43 PM
While i agree our line needs help, i still think they play great when we need them to. These fourth quarter comebacks are giving me grey hair, but a win is a win, we always come through in the clutch

BlastFurnace
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Kudo's to Starks.

Agreed Rev. Starks has been very consistent for us this season. There has been absolutely no dropoff from Smith to Starks.

Considering the potential upheaval of our O'line for next season with all the free agents, we need to keep Max.

lilyoder6
12-15-2008, 01:56 PM
i can be happy w/ starks being our starter over smith.. at least in starks we know he can play w/o the wry of a back issue

GridironWarrior
12-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Oline is still putrid.

BlastFurnace
12-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Oline is still putrid.

When Simmons was in there...yes.

I don't agree that they are putrid though. I think they have played pretty good with the group that has been in there for the past 8 games or so. They are gelling and that is a good thing. The one person I see as a problem is Colon. I don't think he would be at Guard, but he is a liability at Tackle.

The Ravens can Bring It on defense...and they didn't do to us what Philly did earlier in the year when Simmons was at RG.

steelreserve
12-15-2008, 02:33 PM
The one person I see as a problem is Colon. I don't think he would be at Guard, but he is a liability at Tackle.

I had high hopes for Colon about a year and a half ago, but I have to agree he has absolutely sucked at tackle. If we don't find anyone else by next season, I wouldn't mind seeing us try out Hills or even use Essex over there. See if Colon can hack it at guard, and if not, see ya. In either case, we'd be well served to take someone who can play tackle in this draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 02:44 PM
In either case, we'd be well served to take someone who can play tackle in this draft.
Alex Boone from Ohio St is a guy that I think is suited to play RT only. He should be there at #32, but I doubt at #64.

Lots of OT's again in this years draft. Might be like last year when around 6 of them go in the 1st round.

steelreserve
12-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Well, this would definitely be the year I wouldn't mind if we took someone in the first round. If it's not OT or DE, I'd be surprised unless we sign a good free agent first.

GridironWarrior
12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't see how some of you guys are happy with this line. They can't pass block nor can they run block. Even against weak D they can't do it. They need new blood and soon. All the skill positions are being wasted. Example, Miller is forced to block because these stink at pass protection. Taking away another receiving weapon.

BlastFurnace
12-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't see how some of you guys are happy with this line. They can't pass block nor can they run block. Even against weak D they can't do it. They need new blood and soon. All the skill positions are being wasted. Example, Miller is forced to block because these stink at pass protection. Taking away another receiving weapon.

Alot of O'line's have looked bad against Philly, Giants, Dallas, and Baltimore. We have played some very good D'lines this season.

IMO...and in the opinion of Tunch on the radio...they played quite well yesterday.

The Duke
12-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I doubt that the Steelers will shell out for Jordan Gross, but you never know. I watched St. Clair last week and he looks to be carrying a bit of extra weight and is on the downside of his career, but a solid 9 year vet who could play on the left side for 2-3 years while our LT of the future gets some experience would be fine with me.

I dont want to protect Ben's blindside with a rookie.

But we need to draft olinemen in rounds 1-4 and use them immediately :rolleyes:

lol, sometimes I can't believe the stupidity some people post

Anyway....Yeah, St.Clair could work for 2-3 years, that's exactly what they need. Look how good Forte's doing. Though that kid's great by himself

Too bad Gross will probably go to a team like the 49ers or the bengals. That is, unless the panthers decide to keep him

GridironWarrior
12-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Alot of O'line's have looked bad against Philly, Giants, Dallas, and Baltimore. We have played some very good D'lines this season.

IMO...and in the opinion of Tunch on the radio...they played quite well yesterday.

What about the Bengals Dline when they couldn't run agains them. Or the colts? Not exactly great Run stuffing Dlines. This Oline needs to be revamped. The Jags Dline only had like 5 sacks going into that game, same with the Rediskins and they doubled their output vs. this Oline.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
But we need to draft olinemen in rounds 1-4 and use them immediately :rolleyes:

lol, sometimes I can't believe the stupidity some people post

Anyway....Yeah, St.Clair could work for 2-3 years, that's exactly what they need. Look how good Forte's doing. Though that kid's great by himself

Too bad Gross will probably go to a team like the 49ers or the bengals. That is, unless the panthers decide to keep him

Yeah, St. Clair has been a fixture in Chicago for a while and they have always been solid at running the ball and protecting those INT tossing QB's. The only wildcard with the Bears is Chris Williams....he's been hurt, but I dont expect them to keep him, Tait and St. Clair, but who knows.

I think the Panthers will let Gross go and mabye go with Otah and Wharton at OT.

My hope is that Tony Hills pans out, but I am not holding my breath. At the least he can play RT I think, but a vet like St. Clair(Stinchcomb?) to play LT for a couple seasons while either Hills or a rookie like Loadholt or Jason Smith gets some experience would be nice. Then he probably gets restructured or released like Willie Anderson did this year.

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Max Starks...i love you.

is that good enough!? haha! kidding.

Starks is a mastadon and he's very lovable. i hope he sticks around for awhile.

VTsteel
12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
I will give Max credit, he played well. But honestly I kept and close eye on him and have to say he just played average. I too started thinking that maybe we try to sign him to a reasonable contract, but then wondered.....where will he play?? LT or RT??

He honestly isnt a great LT and the more that I think of it, he has great incentive because he is basically playing for a new contract somewhere. For a guy who has had the knock of not being aggressive and sometimes lacking intensity, I dont know if he will maintain any focus or just rest on the laurels of his new deal.

I think there are many possible draft picks that would be better and would rather draft one of them than possibly give Starks a payday and have him underperform to where he is the #3 OT on the depth chart again. I say let some other team overpay for his services just like the Cards did for Oliver Ross back in the day.

Absolutely 100% dead on.

BozMan
12-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I like having Starks around as a versatile backup -- he can play either LT or RT. He's also nice to have in short yardage situations where his massive size allows him to move the pile. (But we are throwing on 3rd and short these days, so maybe that is a moot point.)

Hopefully we can keep Starks around at the cost of a backup.

The Duke
12-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah, St. Clair has been a fixture in Chicago for a while and they have always been solid at running the ball and protecting those INT tossing QB's. The only wildcard with the Bears is Chris Williams....he's been hurt, but I dont expect them to keep him, Tait and St. Clair, but who knows.

I think the Panthers will let Gross go and mabye go with Otah and Wharton at OT.

My hope is that Tony Hills pans out, but I am not holding my breath. At the least he can play RT I think, but a vet like St. Clair(Stinchcomb?) to play LT for a couple seasons while either Hills or a rookie like Loadholt or Jason Smith gets some experience would be nice. Then he probably gets restructured or released like Willie Anderson did this year.

Williams is their future, and if he's healthy enough they could let St.Clair go. I heard he played some recently. Stinchcomb is a FA too? hmm....interesting, lots of tackles to select

Otah still seems like an LT to me. I see Gross getting a big contract somewhere. damn

Hopefully Hills becomes something, at the very least a reliable backup, lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Williams is their future, and if he's healthy enough they could let St.Clair go. I heard he played some recently. Stinchcomb is a FA too? hmm....interesting, lots of tackles to select

Otah still seems like an LT to me. I see Gross getting a big contract somewhere. damn

Hopefully Hills becomes something, at the very least a reliable backup, lol

Yeah, here is an article on some of the FA tackles coming up this offseason.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/816325.html

Hills looks like a good run blocker, who is light on his feet. He just needs to get stronger and use his hands better in pass protection. I think he competes for a RT spot next season.

Avoid Lloyd95
12-15-2008, 11:57 PM
I hang a lot of their crap play on the coaching, although the talent needs a big time upgrade. I'm pretty sure Zerlien (sic) got run out of his last job before here. Heres hoping he doesn't survive another offseason just because the team has done well as a whole.

We'll be drafting late and OT's are always at a premium, and free agency-well we all know we won't make the big splash....

Best chance IMO is a new voice for the line with some good FA moves

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-16-2008, 01:44 AM
. I'm pretty sure Zerlien (sic) got run out of his last job before here.

Sorry to correct you, but he was granted permission to interview for the job after Russ Grimm left. He was the Buffalo Bills assistant O-line coach.

Steelers | Zierlein could replace Grimm
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:40:04 -0800

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Buffalo Bills assistant offensive line coach Larry Zierlein could be a candidate to replace Russ Grimm, who left Tuesday, Jan. 23, to become the assistant head coach and offensive line coach with the Arizona Cardinals. http://www.kffl.com/player/11597/NFL

He was the Browns O line coach and was let go when Romeo Crennel took the job and put his staff in place back in 2005.

revefsreleets
12-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Just to qualify, I'm merely stating that our makeshift OL has been a little better than anyone would have ever expected. My saying "Kudo's" to Starks merely means I'm thankful that the dude is playing decent and I'm glad we have him to fill a hole this year.