PDA

View Full Version : The Offensive reality........

Hammer Of The GODS
12-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Bare with me as this topic has been uber analized already. But maybe this will open some eyes as it did mine when I decided to look!

Technically this assessment is a week early but the end result is still the same.

There has ben many a post about how bad the Offense is playing. I myself have been critical of the inconsistancy in which this Offense operates. But after watching the game a second time and seeing the offense put together a 92 yard drive that won them the division, I realized something. For whatever reason I wasn't really seeing the whole picture!

Here it is.....

These are the Defenses in the top 10 that the Steelers offense has played or will play. (top 10 if you don't count the Steelers D)

Ravens (2) Played them twice and swept them!
Eagles (3) Tough loss against blitz happy D.
Titans (4) As I said one week early.
Skins (5) Played them when they were on a roll and won.
Giants (6) Take away Colons cheesy hold and we win that one too.
Dallas (7) Sure defense won it with a pick 6 but the Offense had to tie it up 1st.
Colts (11) Ben had a BAD game. No excuses but All QBs lay eggs.

There it is. Chance to go 5-3 against the top 10 D's. Not to bad if you ask me.

You HAVE to give the Offense some credit for doing what they have done behind a mediocre Oline and some questionable playcalling from the OC and a TON of injuries!

I SEE A PITTSBURGH SIX-PACK IN OUR FUTURE!

GO STEELERS! :tt03:

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 03:15 PM
the offensive reality is that they have a defense that holds the other team to 10 points of less (thankfully), otherwise, this would be a nightmare season.

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Bare with me as this topic has been uber analized already. But maybe this will open some eyes as it did mine when I decided to look!

Technically this assessment is a week early but the end result is still the same.

There has ben many a post about how bad the Offense is playing. I myself have been critical of the inconsistancy in which this Offense operates. But after watching the game a second time and seeing the offense put together a 92 yard drive that won them the division, I realized something. For whatever reason I wasn't really seeing the whole picture!

Here it is.....

These are the Defenses in the top 10 that the Steelers offense has played or will play. (top 10 if you don't count the Steelers D)

Ravens (2) Played them twice and swept them!
Eagles (3) Tough loss against blitz happy D.
Titans (4) As I said one week early.
Skins (5) Played them when they were on a roll and won.
Giants (6) Take away Colons cheesy hold and we win that one too.
Dallas (7) Sure defense won it with a pick 6 but the Offense had to tie it up 1st.
Colts (11) Ben had a BAD game. No excuses but All QBs lay eggs.

There it is. Chance to go 5-3 against the top 10 D's. Not to bad if you ask me.

You HAVE to give the Offense some credit for doing what they have done behind a mediocre Oline and some questionable playcalling from the OC and a TON of injuries!

I SEE A PITTSBURGH SIX-PACK IN OUR FUTURE!

GO STEELERS! :tt03:

ALOT of questionable play calling and even head coaching decisions. I give the offensive PLAYERS a ton of credit as well for putting up points despite the offensive coaching and coordination.

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 03:40 PM
the offensive reality is that they have a defense that holds the other team to 10 points of less (thankfully), otherwise, this would be a nightmare season.

This is also very true.

Ricco Suavez
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Some looks at Steelers past
Year PTS SCORED PER GAME PTS ALLOWED
1974 21.8 13.5
1975 26.6 11.6
1978 22.2 12.2
1979 26.0 16.4
2005 24.3 16.1

This years team 21.6 13.7
so far.

Since I do not see any players named Faneca, Kolb, Webster, Bettis Harris , Swann, Stallworth, or Hartings on this years roster I think these numbers are comparable. We do have some older versions of the 2005 players. Insome cases that is good but some are just older and slower.

SteelCityKingsVP
12-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Couldnt have said it better

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
its good ol' blitzburgh football, we dont need to score alot because we know you aint getting shit

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 05:26 PM
first off, i can't believe you used the word "uber." that's pretty awesome and very articulate of you. no dickin' around. =)

secondly, i loved the post. you said it best and it makes total sense.

thirdly, "Pittsburgh Six-Pack?" sounds like a tee-shirt makers wet dream right there. i'm lovin' it.

last, nice picture on the bottom. Tom Brady getting nailed in the jewels...he needs that daily. haha!

Steelersfootball1208
12-15-2008, 05:31 PM
The offense has been doing just enough to get the win against these tough defenses and Ben has cut down on the turnovers which is huge. They dont ask how just how many..

OX1947
12-15-2008, 05:39 PM
The offensive line has gotten better. The only thing left really is to tell Colon to stop his weekly false start in the 2nd quarter and holding call in the 3rd.

The offense played well last night. Unfortunately, guys were dropping balls. BUT, I can see then starting to play well in the fact that they aren't making big play mistakes.

My hope is Willie continues to get healthy, I would even play him sparingly the next 2 weeks and then he will have a week off and THEN bring him back for that first playoff game fresh and healthy. Then the offense takes on a whole different mentality.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-15-2008, 07:32 PM

There is no denying that the D is great and they are the saving grace.

But NONE of that takes away what the offense has faced in terms of high quality defenses.

I'm not taking ANYTHING away from how well he Steelers D has played, but in comparison the D has only faced 5 offenses in the top 10. Those teams had 15.2 points per game average against the Steelers D.

Conversely, the Steelers O has averaged 16 points per game against the 7 top 10 D's they have faced. You can argue that the Defense set up the offense, thats thier job. All NFL Offenses rely on the help of thier D.

SO...... If the top offenses in the NFL average 15.2 against the Steelers Defense that is allowing an average of 13.7 per game and the Steelers Offense averages 16 against 7 top 10 Defenses who combined are only giving up an average of 18.2 per game then it stands to reason that the Offense is doing just as well against the top talented teams as the Defense is. The Defense is giving up a few more points against the top offenses and the Steelers Offense is scoring a few less against the top Defenses are averaging.

I think if you look at it objectively you can see that the Steelers Offense isn't as bad as we all think. They are just playing against some really good defenses.

All that said........... The Defense is still the reason they are where they are.

Just givin some love to the Offense thats all......

GO STEELERS!

I WANT A PITTSBURGH SIXPACK! :tt03:

markymarc
12-16-2008, 06:53 AM
If we had an actual OL and good OC this would not even be a discussion. I am still amazed how Arians has regressed since last year. We still have a lot of talent offensively, but unfortunately the OC is not doing much with it.

The_WARDen
12-16-2008, 08:22 AM
You can argue that the Defense set up the offense, thats thier job.

Why is that their job? I thought their job was to stop the other team from scoring. Now, the defense also has to set up the offense?

How about the offense show up for a change and set up the defense by getting a lead and not forcing the defense to play stellar football for 60 minutes.

Shouldn't that be "their job"?

WisconsinSteelerMan
12-16-2008, 08:50 AM
I was watching the O-Line this weekend in the game against the Rats....they were pretty stout against the Ravens front. We all knew that there were going to be some sacks, and some flushes out of the pocket for Ben, but all in all, he really seemed to have plenty of time to let the play develop.

I am not as nervous about our O-line as I was in earlier games... Our offensive scheme and play calling...YES...still worried about that. I miss the power run where we could exert our will and just RUN OVER folks...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

DACEB
12-16-2008, 09:01 AM

Great point, post Hammer!!

I'm putting on the B&G glasses and only looking at the Ws from here on out. I have faith in this TEAM!! Pretty or ugly, it don't matter. Just give me the WIN!

Hammer Of The GODS
12-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Why is that their job? I thought their job was to stop the other team from scoring. Now, the defense also has to set up the offense?

How about the offense show up for a change and set up the defense by getting a lead and not forcing the defense to play stellar football for 60 minutes.

Shouldn't that be "their job"?

By stopping the other team from scoring they are setting up the offense to win the game. Whats so hard to understand here. The fact that the defense has given up points means they are not perfect, nor do they need to be. They just have to do thier job and keep the score low enough to have a good chance to win. They are doing that exceedingly well.

The offense is far from perfect no doubt. The offenses job is to score enough to win. And when a drive for a score needs to be made they GET IT DONE! It seems to me that although they aren't leading the league in offense, they are still scoring when they need to, to win. If you can't see how SIGNIFICANT that 92 yard drive was against the #2 defense to win the division and a bye then I guess the offense can only please you by hanging 40 points on every defense.

:coffee:

The_WARDen
12-16-2008, 10:24 AM
By stopping the other team from scoring they are setting up the offense to win the game. Whats so hard to understand here. The fact that the defense has given up points means they are not perfect, nor do they need to be. They just have to do thier job and keep the score low enough to have a good chance to win. They are doing that exceedingly well.

The offense is far from perfect no doubt. The offenses job is to score enough to win. And when a drive for a score needs to be made they GET IT DONE! It seems to me that although they aren't leading the league in offense, they are still scoring when they need to, to win. If you can't see how SIGNIFICANT that 92 yard drive was against the #2 defense to win the division and a bye then I guess the offense can only please you by hanging 40 points on every defense.

have some more coffee and don't put words in my mouth. Where did I say they need to score 40?

Please point it out.

What is so hard to understand that some of us would love to see the offense actually produce 20+ points for a change rather than force the defense to play close to their best each AND every game?

Sooner or later, the defense is going to have a so-so game...I'd love to know that the offense has their back. RIGHT NOW?? I do not know that...that's the point.

tony hipchest
12-16-2008, 11:11 AM
the offense bashing is so old and tired. im amazed at how simple it is and people still dont get it.

we faced the toughest schedule ever. is it really any suprise the super bowl defending champions shut down our good offense?

they shut down the freaking patriots last year! does that mean the patriots offense sucked?

in '01 w/o a healthy rb, a pretty good patriot defense held kordell stewart in check with 3 interceptions. does that mean our #3 ranked offense sucked? they shut down the "greatest show on turf" rams. did the rams offense suck?

every offense we faced this year must suck because we've held every one to under 300 yds of total offense. we shut down andre johnson, randy moss, T.O., Plexico... do they suck?

its this simple- a good defense can slow down a great offense. weve faced good teams.

sure i woulda loved to play a cupcake schedule like the patriots did this year so we could pad our offensive stats and feel good about ourselves. we seen what our offense can do when we play teams like the texans and bungles earlier in the year.

but i aint gonna cry and whine about it, and pretend the grass is greener on the other side. i'll take a 17-13 win against the titans and be happy to see some more great steelers football in the playoffs.

:tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Take a nice long look at the NET POINTS statistics on the NFL Stats Site.

We are +110 on Net Points for the year.
Ravens are + 112
Titans are + 147
Giants are + 128

Perspective
Arizona is +28
Carolina is +89
Broncos are -40
Colts are +49
Dolphins are +14
Jets are +66
Patriots are +48

Wow, look at those great offenses.

BlastFurnace
12-16-2008, 11:17 AM
the offense bashing is so old and tired. im amazed at how simple it is and people still dont get it.

we faced the toughest schedule ever. is it really any suprise the super bowl defending champions shut down our good offense?

they shut down the freaking patriots last year! does that mean the patriots offense sucked?

in '01 w/o a healthy rb, a pretty good patriot defense held kordell stewart in check with 3 interceptions. does that mean our #3 ranked offense sucked? they shut down the "greatest show on turf" rams. did the rams offense suck?

every offense we faced this year must suck because we've held every one to under 300 yds of total offense. we shut down andre johnson, randy moss, T.O., Plexico... do they suck?

its this simple- a good defense can slow down a great offense. weve faced good teams.

sure i woulda loved to play a cupcake schedule like the patriots did this year so we could pad our offensive stats and feel good about ourselves. we seen what our offense can do when we play teams like the texans and bungles earlier in the year.

but i aint gonna cry and whine about it, and pretend the grass is greener on the other side. i'll take a 17-13 win against the titans and be happy to see some more great steelers football in the playoffs.

:tt02:

I agree. I've accepted that we don't have the 2004 Indianapolis Colts offense. What I do care is that this team doesn't give up and knows how to win. Yes, there are tweaks that we could make, but at season's end, we will have 12 or 13 wins. I will take that any way, any year and take my chances in the playoffs.

As long as we have Ben, we have a chance.

DACEB
12-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I really like this thread, great point, again Hammer!

Great points, Tony and Dino!!

Steely McSmash
12-16-2008, 12:26 PM

the D has only faced 5 offenses in the top 10. Those teams had 15.2 points per game average against the Steelers D.

Conversely, the Steelers O has averaged 16 points per game against the 7 top 10 D's they have faced.

SO...... If the top offenses in the NFL average 15.2 against the Steelers Defense that is allowing an average of 13.7 per game and the Steelers Offense averages 16 against 7 top 10 Defenses who combined are only giving up an average of 18.2 per game then it stands to reason that the Offense is doing just as well against the top talented teams as the Defense is.

I like the use of stats but I have to disagree with your findings because you're not comparing how Top offenses are doing against all top 10 defences. 18.2 is the the average pts/game given up by those D's so that's the result of more or less an average team.

Vs top 10 Defense from your numbers: The Steelers O gets 16 when an avergage offense gets 18.2 -- 2.2 points less. We're below average on offence. Not exactly a newsflash.

For the top offences vs Steelers D: they get 15.2 instead of the 13.7 average -- 1.5 points more.

In summary what your stats say is that :

1. Steelers O underperforms avg O by 2.2 vs top 10 D :banging:
2. Top 10 O outperforms average O by 1.5 vs. #1 D:tt03:

I saw some good stuff vs Baltimore this week. A little work not dropping balls and that score could have been very lopsided. I'm cautiously optimistic that we may be able to start a mini-peak going into the playoffs

scsteeler
12-16-2008, 12:37 PM

I don't mind taking wins because of the defense. The offense has done what they need to do when needed. Not Great numbers but they have won.

The_WARDen
12-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't mind taking wins because of the defense. The offense has done what they need to do when needed. Not Great numbers but they have won.

I enjoy these wins also..

Let me try and put it another way.

Thing I know - the Steelers defense is good enough against playoff caliber teams for the Steelers to win come January. We have all witnessed this repeatedly...and yes it's been fun and a great ride thus far.

Thing I don't know - the Steelers being good enough to put the team on it's collective backs and score 21+ points against a playoff caliber defense (sorry, the Bungles don't count here). Come January, should the defense actually prove to be human and give up 20 points, can the offense come through? I haven't seen that yet and would just like to seem them carry the load for once.

That's all...no 40 point outburst...I don't need 500 yards and 4 TDs from Ben. Just score multiple TDs against a good defense for a change.

I'd feel much better come January should they hang 21 on Tennessee this week.

revefsreleets
12-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I agree. This topic has been analized...