PDA

View Full Version : I pray the Steelers do not get big headed.

Edman
12-15-2008, 02:48 PM
They've pretty much stamped their ticket to the AFC Divisional playoffs. But now I'm worried about another facet that has haunted Steeler fans for many years:

Home playoff game letdowns. This is what will seperate Coach Tomlin from Cowher. Can Tomlin expel last year's demons and win home playoff games?

Steel_Bus_24
12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
I've been just as pessimistic about our old demons as anyone but after witnessing the comeback win to beat Dallas, I got a really good feeling we will be taking down a couple more like home playoff games.

If our O starts coming around we are going to be ridiculously tough to stop

hindes204
12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
the steelers are very good at remaining humble, this is one of the reasons i love them (that and the fact i was born and raised in Da Burgh)...I dont think getting big-headed will be a problem

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
They've pretty much stamped their ticket to the AFC Divisional playoffs. But now I'm worried about another facet that has haunted Steeler fans for many years:

Home playoff game letdowns. This is what will seperate Coach Tomlin from Cowher. Can Tomlin expel last year's demons and win home playoff games?

I don't think it was ever a case of the Steelers head's getting too big edman. I think it was more of a case of us always playing the future-Superbowl champions with teams headed by guys like Kordell Stewart, Neil O'Donnell, Yancy Thigpen and Eric Green, those players were our only demons.

I have no fear of going into any playoff game with Roethlisberger and Ward. I do fear our offense as a whole though. If we lose, it won't be because of big heads or demons, it will simply be because our offense is not good at all.

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think it was ever a case of the Steelers head's getting too big edman. I think it was more of a case of us always playing the future-Superbowl champions with teams headed by guys the likes of Kordell Stewart, Neil O'Donnell, Yancy Thigpen and Eric Green.

I have no fear of going into any playoff game with Roethlisberger and Ward. I do fear our offense as a whole though. If we lose, it won't be because of big heads it will simply be because our offense is not good at all.

Umm.. they did make a Super Bowl video one year and then promptly choked away the AFCCG.

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Umm.. they did make a Super Bowl video one year and then promptly choked away the AFCCG.

Superbowl video?

The_WARDen
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Superbowl video?

94 playoffs I believe...Eric Green & the boys, then lost to the Chargers.

SteelerFanInCA
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM

Yeah, I believe that was the year we lost to the Chargers in the AFCCG.

Edman
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
1994: Outclassed by an inferior team
1997: Kordell Stewart just blows.
2001: "Special" Teams
2004: Lost to superior team we all thought was awesome until we learned the truth years later. Oh yeah, and we had a Rookie QB.

CanadianSteel
12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
1994: Outclassed by an inferior team
1997: Kordell Stewart just blows.
2001: "Special" Teams and again Kordell just blows in big games
2004: Lost to superior team we all thought was awesome until we learned the truth years later. Oh yeah, and we had a Rookie QB.

there fioxed it for ya :chuckle:

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
1994: Neil O'Donnell and Eric Green are Outclassed by an inferior team who took the beating that we would've taken from the 49'ers anyway.
1997: Kordell Stewart just blows and blowed harder in big games and only had Yancy Thigpen to throw to against the 2 time Superbowl champion Denver Broncos.
2001: "Special" Teams and after the Steelers defense held Brady's punk a$$ scoreless and knocked him out of the game, the defense got lit up in the second half by his backup QB, future HoF'er Drew Bledsoe. Plus we had Kordell.

There! Fixed it for both of you :drink:

steelreserve
12-15-2008, 04:14 PM
I think it's going to be hard to get a big head when we've been in so many close games. I mean, yeah, we've mostly come through when it counted, but an unlucky break or two in any given game, and we could just as easily be 8-6 right now. The Giants and Colts games ought to be vivid reminders of that.

BlastFurnace
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
This team is different. I don't see the big head coming.

As far as the other games...

We were in control and driving in the Denver game until Kordell's pick in the end zone into double coverage. That's when Elway and Co. turned the game around. Not to mention that bogus Pass Interfernce penalty on Lake towards the end of the half.

Despite our Special Teams problems, we cut the lead to 21-17 and had chances to take the game back. It's amazing that it was Drew Bledsoe that QB'd most of that game.

The 2004 game, Brady was just in a zone and we were playing with a rookie QB. Who knows what kind of tape they had on us.

The 1994 game....just a crushing loss. Still my my most painful loss in my 32 years of being a Steelers fan.

Don't forget the 1995 Championship Game against Indianapolis. Had Quinton Coryatt not dropped that easy INT...thanks to Ernie Mills, we lose that game. Honorable mention goes to Willie Williams tackling that RB by the shoestrings when that RB had an easy sailing to a 1st down to seal the game.

NYC SteelersFan
12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
It's amazing that it was Drew Bledsoe that QB'd most of that game.

Our luck is amazing to have knocked out the rookie QB who we were man-handling only to have a future HoF'er come in to take us apart pieace by piece. I was always suspicious that Belichick purposely held out Brady to put Bledsoe in.

I cursed the defense for knocking Brady out of the game after the game was over..lol

Edman
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Tim Lewis' 2001 defense and inferior defensive schemes were exposed earlier that year by the crappy Bengals and Jon Kitna by all people. The Steelers paid for it the following two seasons. Great Front 7, but a rotten secondary.

When you think about it, Drew Bleedsoe ripping it apart doesn't shock me much anymore.

SteelCityKingsVP
12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
the steelers are very good at remaining humble, this is one of the reasons i love them (that and the fact i was born and raised in Da Burgh)...I dont think getting big-headed will be a problem

I couldnt have said it better. Never since Ive been a steeler fan have the Steelers I believe become big headed with the exception of maybe one season. But, the Steelers arent an egotistical team and never have been. We'll be just fine.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
we may be big headed if we won all our games by 30 points this year, but we havent. We have won hard fought games in the trenches, because of this we will remain level headed going into the playoffs realizing that each game is going to be a full out war

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2008, 06:56 PM
There will be no big head. Tomlin won't allow it. There will be no videos or stupid things said, because Ward won't let it happen. We will take it one game at a time, and play every game, likes its a playoff game, because, it has been that way for the last what...5 weeks out of 6?

We will face all comers, our Defense will continue to Punish people and our Offense will do what it takes to win us games.

No big heads, no humble pie t-shirts, that techinically by wearing them, you're not being humble, no anything except game film of who we face each week.

43Hitman
12-15-2008, 10:36 PM
There will be no big head. Tomlin won't allow it. There will be no videos or stupid things said, because Ward won't let it happen. We will take it one game at a time, and play every game, likes its a playoff game, because, it has been that way for the last what...5 weeks out of 6?

We will face all comers, our Defense will continue to Punish people and our Offense will do what it takes to win us games.

No big heads, no humble pie t-shirts, that techinically by wearing them, you're not being humble, no anything except game film of who we face each week.

QFT :applaudit:

markymarc
12-16-2008, 08:11 AM
I guarantee that Tomlin will not allow that to happen. Besides the players know better. Injuries killed us last year in the playoffs. This season we are peaking at the right time and most importantly getting healthy.

stlrtruck
12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I think Tomlin has a way about him that will not allow this team to get big headed. It's definitely not in his agenda to pronounce himself or his team superior.

He's got that calm coolness about him that says, we haven't done anything yet!