PDA

View Full Version : [bad media pattern]

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 06:34 PM
how come the ONLY time the Steelers get ANY press coverage on ESPN or NFL Network is when they have some controversial call in their game or the team they play or beat has a bunch of rockstars and crybabies on their team?

what's up with that? discuss...pretty please with a cherry on top. =)

steelpride12
12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
No one likes the Steelers on any of the networks except maybe Bill Cower. We like it though, it keeps us under the radar.

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 06:40 PM
true, but i hate watching other teams get the highlight reels and stealing the media when we CLEARLY deserve it. we're super humble and chill. we buckle down and focus on playing week after week. but TO sheds some tears and has a catfight with Romo and next thing you know, the Cowboys kidnap the bottom line on ESPN. it's just really...REALLY annoying.

OX1947
12-15-2008, 06:43 PM
What sucks is ESPN is the only channel for sports. I hate that damn channel. But we have no choice. No other station has a 24 hour sports show on tv, and it sucks that I have to waste 30 min of the one hour Sportscenter on whos schlong is being sucked while Jerry Jones is giving the other guy the reach around.

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 06:47 PM
What sucks is ESPN is the only channel for sports. I hate that damn channel. But we have no choice. No other station has a 24 hour sports show on tv, and it sucks that I have to waste 30 min of the one hour Sportscenter on whos schlong is being sucked while Jerry Jones is giving the other guy the reach around.

amen brother! i am so tired of the Cowboys and Giants and every other dickheaded team stealing my team's thunder. haha! -- i love football, but not EVERY showing of Sportscenter has to be "Days of Our Lives" and "Any Given Sunday." i'm talking DRAMA-FREE for once. *sigh*...yeah right! haha!

The Duke
12-15-2008, 06:50 PM

NFL Network :smile:

never have to watch ESPN except for MNF

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Because we are the "bad guys"

We hit too hard
We win games we are picked to lose
We have a receiver that out hits d-backs
We have the BEST fan base in the country that shows up by the thousands at away games
We have 5 rings and are closer to 6 than any other team
We are always sniffing the playoffs, haven't had back to back losing seasons since the late 60s, early 70s.
We have more Hall of Famers than most anyone else
We are the Best Franchise in the History of the NFL and that is why they Hate Us and don't show us love.

We are the Bad Guys, because we are that Damn GOOD!

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 06:55 PM

We hit too hard
We have the BEST fan base in the country that shows up by the thousands at away games
We are always sniffing the playoffs, haven't had back to back losing seasons since the late 60s, early 70s.
We are the Best Franchise in the History of the NFL and that is why they Hate Us and don't show us love.

word. that makes me smile and feel all warm and tingly inside. it's the f*cking truth, bro. i love it. =)

fansince'76
12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't watch ESPN. I don't find it informative, I haven't found it to be informative in years, and what's even worse, they try to create stories (much like this one and the SB XL officiating "controversy" that turned me off that network for good) instead of simply reporting. I'll watch ESPN when there is a Steelers game being broadcast on it only. As for NFL Network, I don't have it. Plenty of Internet sites (this forum, NFL.com, Pro Football Reference.com, etc.) out there that I personally don't really see a need to watch a TV channel to get sports news.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Actually, as it turns out, the ball doesn't have to cross the line on a TD reception. Check out the rule book.

LetsRock
12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
The media "hates" the Steelers because they are poised to get their 6th SuperBowl win and bypass 'America's Team'.

HughC
12-15-2008, 08:06 PM
ESPN is a business, and as such is trying to maximize profits; being part of a publicly traded company they have no choice. The path they chose long ago to attain that goal was not through superior content and analysis, but instead through fluff (e.g., "Who's Now, E:60) and controversy (e.g., pre-season coverage of Brett Favre). Since they are the sports ratings leader on both television and the internet, most of their competitors have formed a similar business plan.

The (lack of) coverage of good teams is not specific to the Steelers. Look at how little coverage there was of the Titans early in the season, even though they were the last team to lose a game. There was more coverage of Plaxico Burress off the field than the Giants on the field even before his gun shooting incident. In the NFC teams like Carolina and Tampa Bay get half the coverage of a team with a worse record than them, the Dallas Cowboys.

As much as many of us despise him, Tom Brady was on target back when he said ESPN had become like MTV. Other than the occasional breakdown of a play by Jaworski, do they offer any insightful analysis? I admire them as a business, but am nearly always disappointed when I watch them for my pre or post game football fix.

They seem to have made a business decision that it is worth sacrificing the loss of a small number of hardcore football fans in an ttempt to pick up and appeal to a much larger number of casual fans. Unfortunately there's not much else out there on television other than the NFL Network - one reason I hope it expands with additional analysis and discussion. For the rest of us hardcore football fans, that means it's time to turn off ESPN (other than for a game) and as fansince'76 said, shift to the internet, with sites like this one, National Football Post, nfl.com, etc.

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 08:11 PM
the only thing i dig about ESPN is 1st and 10...because Skip loves flipping out for no reason and it's like a train wreck! haha!

i like watching Rome Is Burning because he's pretty insightful and he's got a solid attitude and swagger to go with it.

ESPN is great...but not for people who love coverage of their favorite teams.

HughC
12-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I would venture to guess that there is a sizeable portion of all 32 fan bases that is convinced that the NFL, Roger Goodell, the refs, espn, fox and the rest of the national media all hate their favorite team and all want that team to lose.

SteelCityKing
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
haha! that's beyond true. everybody says "oh man! that game was rigged!" when their team loses....but...seriously...it's not. but some of those refs need to stop going to Stevie Wonders eye doctor and make some right calls. they said this season was the worst for blown calls. ex: the Steelers ONLY press coverage this week is the bad call. but they don't mention how Ben earned that shit by driving 92 yards. for real, focus on the negative debatable shit and not the REAL point of the game...making plays and winning games.

VTsteel
12-15-2008, 08:19 PM

We hit too hard

:salute:

Damn Straight Brother

HughC
12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
haha! that's beyond true. everybody says "oh man! that game was rigged!" when their team loses....but...seriously...it's not. but some of those refs need to stop going to Stevie Wonders eye doctor and make some right calls. they said this season was the worst for blown calls. ex: the Steelers ONLY press coverage this week is the bad call. but they don't mention how Ben earned that shit by driving 92 yards. for real, focus on the negative debatable shit and not the REAL point of the game...making plays and winning games.
So true. They just say the call determined the outcome of the game, ignoring that the Steelers would have most likely won anyways, either on 4th down with just a few inches to go, or a FG and winning in OT with an offense that was clicking against a defense that was gassed and reeling.

I would much rather hear an analysis of that final drive - why the plays were working then but not earlier, what was the Ravens defense doing and what should they have done, etc. Would it kill them to do that just once, rather than beat the dead horse and show the replay and debate whether or not it was a TD yet again?

markymarc
12-16-2008, 07:59 AM
I actually like it this way. Let somebody else be the flavor of the week. We seem to play much better flying under the radar. Let the media hate fest continue.

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I actually like it this way. Let somebody else be the flavor of the week. We seem to play much better flying under the radar. Let the media hate fest continue.

agreed. we flew under the radar and didn't get that much media attention for even winning the Super Bowl. but tell me it wouldn't hurt to get a little love here and there from the media masses?

LVSteelersfan
12-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Screw the media trolls. Who cares what they say. I get a lot of satisfaction listening to them after the games when they are once again proved wrong in their prognostications. Deion Sanders almost couldn't deal with it when the Cowboys lost to us two weeks ago. Splendid.

Edman
12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Because controversy gets ratings.

I only watch ESPN for Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption. So many different points of views from different people with different opinions.

If the Steelers are playing on Monday Night, I'll turn it on. But even then, I don't know if my love for the Steelers can help me stomach Tony and Jaws' "Insightful Analysis".

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't watch ESPN. I don't find it informative, I haven't found it to be informative in years, and what's even worse, they try to create stories (much like this one and the SB XL officiating "controversy" that turned me off that network for good) instead of simply reporting. I'll watch ESPN when there is a Steelers game being broadcast on it only. As for NFL Network, I don't have it. Plenty of Internet sites (this forum, NFL.com, Pro Football Reference.com, etc.) out there that I personally don't really see a need to watch a TV channel to get sports news.

Fan, you realize they single handedly created the Owens/McNabb controversy?

Owens is asked the highly "loaded" question" by an ESPN reporter, which was whether or not Owens agreed with ESPN analyst Michael Irving's comments. And the interview took place the Monday before the Sunday night ESPN game of the Eagles/Redskins, which was a horrible game going into it because both teams were basically out of it already.

The highly "loaded" question was whether he agreed with what Irving said, which was the Eagles would have a better record with Favre as quarterback. Did Owens have to say yes? of course not but if he said no, then ESPN would've turned it into, "Owens bashes Favre and says McNabb is better." It was a no win situation for that idiot.

Think about that one.

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Because controversy gets ratings.

I only watch ESPN for Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption. So many different points of views from different people with different opinions.

If the Steelers are playing on Monday Night, I'll turn it on. But even then, I don't know if my love for the Steelers can help me stomach Tony and Jaws' "Insightful Analysis".

I even stopped watching those 2 shows. Around the Horn has a bunch of "independent" journalists, all of whom which are just as fake as ESPN "journalists".

And PTI is just as bad cause Tony Kornheiser is one of the fakest "news-making" "journalists" or whatever the hell he is that ESPN has. And now that he is on MNF, the show is basically a 30 minute advertisement for MNF 3 days out of the week.

I just stick to watching ESPN news. NBC, CBS, FOX and Time Warner are absolute idiots for not making a 24 hour sports channel to directly compete with ESPN. I don't think I have a single friend who wouldn't happily switch over.

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 04:33 PM
I even stopped watching those 2 shows. Around the Horn has a bunch of "independent" journalists, all of whom which are just as fake as ESPN "journalists".

And PTI is just as bad cause Tony Kornheiser is one of the fakest "news-making" "journalists" or whatever the hell he is that ESPN has. And now that he is on MNF, the show is basically a 30 minute advertisement for MNF 3 days out of the week.

I just stick to watching ESPN news. NBC, CBS, FOX and Time Warner are absolute idiots for not making a 24 hour sports channel to directly compete with ESPN. I don't think I have a single friend who wouldn't happily switch over.

honestly, i prefer NBC coverage the best. something about the nice subtle sounds of Bob Costas that really tickles my fancy! haha! honestly, NBC is the best around...i just hate the stupid theme song. (unless it's sung by Pink!) haha!

steel striker
12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Also the media likes talking about us when we lose but, when the steelers win they fast foward through everything about us. While we are talking about the media Eli Manning was sacked 8 times by the cryboys and, Madden at first said oh Eli does not have a chance back there it is not his fault. THAT CRAP! When Ben gets sacked all the media says Oh Ben holds the ball too long that really cracks me up.

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Also the media likes talking about us when we lose but, when the steelers win they fast foward through everything about us. While we are talking about the media Eli Manning was sacked 8 times by the cryboys and, Madden at first said oh Eli does not have a chance back there it is not his fault. THAT CRAP! When Ben gets sacked all the media says Oh Ben holds the ball too long that really cracks me up.

good ole' Madden with his unbiased and objective commentating. I would bet money he has pleasured himself while thinking about Favre and Vick on more than one occasion.

BlastFurnace
12-16-2008, 06:24 PM
The only thing I like about ESPN is Mike & Mike and Baseball Tonight.

Beyond that, they are the CNN of Sports Channels. By the way, that is not a compliment.

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 06:43 PM
The only thing I like about ESPN is Mike & Mike and Baseball Tonight.

Beyond that, they are the CNN of Sports Channels. By the way, that is not a compliment.

I think CNN is pretty damn good when compared to MSNBC and Fox news. ESPN is more like MSNBC I think. They make the news they want to cover instead of covering whatever actually happens.

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 07:38 PM
good ole' Madden with his unbiased and objective commentating. I would bet money he has pleasured himself while thinking about Favre and Vick on more than one occasion.

John Madden has a full back piece tattoo of Brett Favre and wears a vial of blood around his neck. i can't stand that mongoloid John Madden...he's a Favre lover...along with Skip Bayless.

even my GIRLFRIEND loves Brett Favre. she has his autograph and a framed picture. i get the nice added bonus of the lone green and yellow item stuck in a wall of black and gold. -- like the Steelers ad for the NFLshop.com..."what's with the lamp!?" na'mean?

i think Favre is overrated and his name should be pronounced the way it's spelled. =)

XxKnightxX
12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
John Madden has a full back piece tattoo of Brett Favre and wears a vial of blood around his neck. i can't stand that mongoloid John Madden...he's a Favre lover...along with Skip Bayless.

even my GIRLFRIEND loves Brett Favre. she has his autograph and a framed picture. i get the nice added bonus of the lone green and yellow item stuck in a wall of black and gold. -- like the Steelers ad for the NFLshop.com..."what's with the lamp!?" na'mean?

i think Favre is overrated and his name should be pronounced the way it's spelled. =)

Disagree 100 percent. Brett Favre is one of the greatest quarterbacks the game has ever had, this guy has like 30 sets of balls for him to play 18 straight seasons, that is an unbelieveable feat. I would never bring down Favre, as many interceptions and blunders that he caused, He is and will always be a Quaterback with a mighty heart and an unbelieveable leader.

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Disagree 100 percent. Brett Favre is one of the greatest quarterbacks the game has ever had, this guy has like 30 sets of balls for him to play 18 straight seasons, that is an unbelieveable feat. I would never bring down Favre, as many interceptions and blunders that he caused, He is and will always be a Quaterback with a mighty heart and an unbelieveable leader.

no no...i like Favre too. i like him ALOT. but i think he should've taken a curtain call last season and bow out while he was ahead. granted, he's had a decent season as a Jet...but it ain't over yet. i bet if they move into the playoffs and lose...the world will take a bitch slap at Brett Favre for coming back. -- i don't think he should've made the cover of Madden, but i guess it was EA Sport's safe bet.

XxKnightxX
12-16-2008, 08:00 PM
no no...i like Favre too. i like him ALOT. but i think he should've taken a curtain call last season and bow out while he was ahead. granted, he's had a decent season as a Jet...but it ain't over yet. i bet if they move into the playoffs and lose...the world will take a bitch slap at Brett Favre for coming back. -- i don't think he should've made the cover of Madden, but i guess it was EA Sport's safe bet.

I kinda think so as well, but he had his intentions of coming back as a Packer, Viking, Or Buc, but Ted Thompson the asshole traded him away to the Jets, and one thing for sure is that you cant take the fir out of this guy, he plays football period, and he wants to play, there isnt one team in the league who wouldnt bid for his presence alone on the sidelines. I wonder if Brett will ever become a coach.

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 08:04 PM
I kinda think so as well, but he had his intentions of coming back as a Packer, Viking, Or Buc, but Ted Thompson the asshole traded him away to the Jets, and one thing for sure is that you cant take the fir out of this guy, he plays football period, and he wants to play, there isnt one team in the league who wouldnt bid for his presence alone on the sidelines. I wonder if Brett will ever become a coach.

that's a good theory. i like that. BUT, somehow i seem him dropping of the face of the globe...ala Jack Lambert (although he lives 30 minutes down the road from me!). OR better yet, take the Jerome Bettis and Bill Cowher route and get a job as an analyst for some network. i like that idea. -- BUT if the Steelers meet the Jets in the playoffs...sorry Favrey-poo...i love you, but we gotta kill ya! =)