PDA

View Full Version : NFL Power Poll: Shakeup moves Steelers to top

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-16-2008, 03:26 PM
NFL Power Poll: Shakeup moves Steelers to top
Posted: December 16, 2008

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (LW: 3). They're still having big problems with their offensive line, and it shows in high sacks and low rushing outputs. But with their defense being so dominant against the run and pass, they don't need to score much to win. Ben Roethlisberger has taken a licking, but he keeps on ticking to execute key plays in the fourth quarter.

2. Carolina Panthers (LW: 4). The Panthers' only real weaknesses are the habit of starting slow and having a few defensive lapses. Otherwise, a power running game and a stout front seven are two good ingredients for the playoffs. Steve Smith gives them a special talent who can change games in a blink.

3. New York Giants (LW: 2). Two things have been clear during their two-game slide: The Giants are giving up too many big plays and not making enough of their own. They need to stay aggressive on defense without overpursuing. They also need someone to pick up the slack for Plaxico Burress downfield, the same way they managed without Jeremy Shockey on short-to-intermediate routes last postseason.

4. Indianapolis Colts (LW: 5). They tend to play either down or up to their opponents and have lacked their typical, consistent offensive proficiency, but they have excelled in finding ways to win games -- now seven straight and counting. With the Colts having great experience and leadership under Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy, it makes them dangerous in January.

5. Tennessee Titans (LW: 1). The Titans have had a great run, but their potentially fatal flaws are showing up in the past month. Kerry Collins has struggled against better defenses. The injuries to Kyle Vanden Bosch and Albert Haynesworth hamper the defense. Their top-seed lead is precarious with Pittsburgh coming into town.

6. Dallas Cowboys (LW: 10). Their major flaws come with being America's team. If they cut out the weekly soap operas starring either Jerry Jones or Terrell Owens, they can take care of business on the field. Arguably, they have the most talent, including their best player, outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, leader of their recent defensive surge. Now imagine if Tony Romo gets that offense back to being a healthy, happy family.

7. New England Patriots (LW: 8). There's still much pressure on Matt Cassel to lead a high-scoring offense to protect the defense from being overwhelmed by teams with great speed and athleticism. The AFC East title is out of the Patriots' control and probably out of their reach -- if the Dolphins and Jets both win their winnable games in Week 16. But the No. 6 seed is likely theirs if they can beat up on Arizona and Buffalo.

8. Atlanta Falcons (LW: 9). Inexperience is their obvious weakness, with a rookie coach and a rookie quarterback. That leads to inconsistency and sometimes being shell-shocked on the road. Matt Ryan needs to respond well in the Metrodome against a hot Vikings defense to get them in the playoffs, because they have a Week 17 gimmie waiting at home against St. Louis.

9. Baltimore Ravens (LW: 6). Inexperience is their obvious weakness, with a rookie coach and a rookie quarterback. Still, their power running game, creative passing game and winning of the turnover battle has been good enough to win games. The trouble has come against tough defenses from the top contenders, something Joe Flacco will face in Dallas on Saturday night.

10. Minnesota Vikings (LW: 11). Going into the season, the Vikings' major weaknesses were the passing game and pass defense, and with each week, they don't seem that weak in those areas any more. Minnesota's even been playing much better special teams of late. Now the question is can Tarvaris Jackson keep it up, and will the defense keep rolling without big Pat Williams? They're rolling at the right time, and Adrian Peterson should also be in for a hot finish.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=497523

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 03:28 PM
i love the outcome of those power rankings. like sweet music to my ears...like the sound of a Browns fan falling into Lake Erie. =)

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-16-2008, 03:41 PM
i love the outcome of those power rankings. like sweet music to my ears...like the sound of a Browns fan falling into Lake Erie. =)

Ahhh yes...the sweet fading gurgles of a Brownie going under for the third time saying.....

.....But we won championships before the merger.

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Ahhh yes...the sweet fading gurgles of a Brownie going under for the third time saying.....

.....But we won championships before the merger.

LOL!!! i love when they say that. my buddy always says "we won more championships. do your homework." i say, "i don't care...your team sucks now and if i didn't like you, i'd say 'you suck' and kick you out of my car (maybe into Lake Erie)!" haha!

wait...a "Brownie!?" that's great. i'll have to use that. -- that's about as good as the Baltimore Raisins or the Baltimore Raven-Symones! =)

devilsdancefloor
12-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Exhibit "A"
Brownie McStain

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/12/16/f_Cleveland20m_35665f3.jpg

Exhibit "B"

Brownie Fairy (was their mascot at one time)

http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/12/16/f_mediumbrownm_1146e40.jpg