PDA

View Full Version : Be honest now....

PisnNapalm
12-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I'd like your honest thoughts, not just "I knew it all along." kind of replies....

When this year's season schedule was released I remember thinking to myself, "How in the hell are we going to make the playoffs with this schedule?" Cripes!! Statistically it was the hardest schedule ever given to any team.

I figured we'd be damn lucky to be 10 - 6 at the end of the season. I hoped it would be enough for a wild card spot. now we sit at 11 - 3 with 2 games to go and the AFC North clinched already. HOT DAYAM!!

So.... My question and the reason for this thread is this... What was your honest gut reaction and end of season record guess when you first saw our schedule?

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 08:57 PM
honestly, i thought we were goners man. i thought Tomlin was going to have a sophmore slump and i thought we'd barely make it past ANY team.

BUT...i never lost faith bro and that's all that matters. =)

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 09:08 PM
I could probably find my original post, but it most likely went something like this...

I love it, it means no let down games, I want to play the best every week to test ourselves and get better.

I don't predict records. I go into every single season believing we will make the playoffs and contend for the SuperBowl.

But I know for a fact that I wasn't "scared" of our schedule and welcomed the opportunity to destroy the best the NFL had to offer...

But then again, I'm insane and am a total Blind homer.

randy06
12-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Well i remember thinking why the hell do we play NE, at NE AGAIN!!! And then thinking that we didnt improve our o-line and that after the way our defense faltered, how would we make the playoffs. I honestly thought 9-7 or 10-6, glad to say i was wrong!

Steel_Bus_24
12-16-2008, 09:14 PM
I thought we'd be down but didn't think the Browns would do anything either. The Ravens with Flacco surprised me.

I just hope our O is about ready to break out and ready to roll for the playoffs. We'll be ridiculously tough to stop if they come around

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Well i remember thinking why the hell do we play NE, at NE AGAIN!!! And then thinking that we didnt improve our o-line and that after the way our defense faltered, how would we make the playoffs. I honestly thought 9-7 or 10-6, glad to say i was wrong!

it's almost like you'd be lying if you said you KNEW they were going to get this far. like those dicks who said they guess the ending to "The Sixth Sense." COME ON!!! lies...all lies! haha!

for real, i was scared and i had the utmost faith in us. i always keep up good hopes...but i was taken back by the schedule.

QUESTION:
when was it that you knew the Steelers were going to take this the way they took it?

lardlad
12-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Steelers always get up for tough teams. Figured they'd split the tough ones plus an extra. Also I did take into consideration that typically teams that looked good from last season don't always follow up (Jags).

So honestly I thought 11-5. The only thing I was wrong about was how they would play. I thought our wins would come fromthe offense. Despite how bad the line was last year I thought Ben and Willie would pick right up where they left off. Ben would be throwing 300 + a game and Willie would be over 1500. I figured the D would be tough, but nor like this.

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 09:20 PM
for me...it was when we took the Ravens and Jaguars back to back before the bye week. i thought we'd MAYBE lose a game or two after that. we wanted blood with Jacksonville and we got it. BUT we lost to Indy and the Giants...i was heartbroken, but i thought...we can do this. those games were close. sure enough...we got to where we are now and i think taking it back to week 4 and 5 really set it in motion for me.

plus, that Redskins win was off the hook. =)

Steel_Bus_24
12-16-2008, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=QUESTION:
when was it that you knew the Steelers were going to take this the way they took it?[/QUOTE]

Not until we came back and beat Dallas. Because honestly not being able to run it down the Bengals throat in that Thursday night game scared the crap out of me heading into this stretch of games.

After that I was a true believer that our D could do just about anything

SteelCityKing
12-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Not until we came back and beat Dallas. Because honestly not being able to run it down the Bengals throat in that Thursday night game scared the crap out of me heading into this stretch of games.

After that I was a true believer that our D could do just about anything

i was at that game dude...trust me...i knowhow tough it was to creep around a half assed team. but atleast it wasn't a close game. -- that Dallas game really opened up peoples eyes to what the Steelers are capable defensively and that was awesome. gave us alot more hope for sure.

augustashark
12-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I had a feeling that the games we just played would tell us if we were to make the playoffs or go home. The NE, Dallas, Bal games were the key to the season and I would say we have passed with flying colors.

Steel_Bus_24
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Then you look at what old demons we have overcome as well

1. D gives up 3rd and Longs and doesn't close out games

2. ST are horrible(Need to Punt a little better but coverage has been great)

3. Winning in NE(Have to save crushing Brady for next year)

4. Sweeping freaking Balt

And hopefully to come, winning home playoff games

fansince'76
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
A post of mine from August 5:

Accuse me of drinking the Kool-Aid, but I see at LEAST 10 wins on this schedule.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=419257#post419257

To be more specific, I was thinking 11-5/12-4.

Avoid LLoyd1975
12-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I predicted 13-3. My eldest son predicted 12-4 and my youngest son predicted 9-7.

VTsteel
12-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Here it is brother:

(Feb. 1, 2008) Personally, I see us having the potential to lose 6 or 7 next year. I also see us winning the division again.

Cleveland and Cinci will probably end up 8-8. The best thing we will have going for us is that we'll be playing "top-flight" competition the whole way.

"That which doesn't break you - Only makes you stronger". We should be primed to lay an ass-whooping come playoff time. Even at 9-7, I still see us making it to the AFC Championship game.

tony hipchest
12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
heres my views in a thread i started last night-

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=30027

i was pretty confident the bungles, browns and ravens would suck (was wrong on the ravens), and wouldnt have been suprised to win the division with 9-7 record.

but i also had faith in tomlin and the talent of this team. i thought 12-4 was possible, but still probably only good enough for the third seed.

cubanstogie
12-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I have been wrong about everything this year. I thought we would be 9-7 and hopefully squeek in playoffs. I thought the Browns would be decent, Chargers good, and Ravens suck with a rookie QB. Never thought Vince Young with his salary would be benched. I don't think most people thought we could be this good with the schedule and our O-line. Its been a crazy year. Every game has been close for us. It has taken years off my life. It's been frustrating but exciting. If our offense can become unpredictable in the playoffs we can go all the way.

mesaSteeler
12-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I figured it would be 10-6 and wild card at best.

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Here, I found this...from May, talking to some Browns fan that was all up in our grill over our schedule...

Time out Fool.

Lets look at facts. To address the point of the thread. The schedule is very tough on paper.

But we open with the Texans at our house. That bodes well for the start of our season. The Texans are improved, and will come to play hard, but player for player, the Steelers are better and should start the season 1-0. Then we have the Browns (pat on the head for your cute little team). Its a Sunday night game, a place the Steelers are very familiar with, the spot light. The Browns will also be coming off a very tough game against the Cowboys week 1. Or are you already writing that off as a loss and looking ahead?

After that, we go to Philly, a team that is in transition and never starts out the season fast, and you go play Baltimore. Boy, maybe you'll win that one, if you aren't already 0-2 on the season and calling for a QB Change by week 3.

Next we get Baltimore at home on a Monday night. We all know how we do on Monday night at home, so lets look at you. Oh right, in state rival Cincy. Good luck.

Then we head to Jacksonville, for another Night game, very tough game for us, while you are experiencing your very early bi-week. You may need it by that time.

Then we get our bi-week, and you get a Monday night home game, against the World Champion NY Giants. Once again, good luck.

We then get Cincy, yawn, and you travel to Washington. That could be a win for you, if you can stop the run.

We then get the Giants at home, while you travel to Jacksonville. Really, I hope you know how to stop the run.

You then get Baltimore, at your house, that could be a win for you, and we travel to Washington for another Monday night game. Which, we do pretty darn well at.

You then get a Thursday night game, against the Broncos in your house, and we get the opportunity to destroy Payton Manning. Which by the way, Steelers 5-0 all time against the colts in Playoff Games and we tend to shut them down.

we then get the Norv Turner led Chargers, while you travel up to Buffalo for a Monday night game. Who do you suppose will be your QB for this game anyway?

We then get another Home night game and its against the Bengals, yeah for us, and you get to play the Texans, another possible win for you.

We then travel to our hated nemisis New England, while you host the Colts. How's that secondary anyway?

We then get the hated Cowboys at our house in a Nationaly Televised game. You get to travel south, and play the run based Titans. Good luck there champ.

We then get the Ravens, who may or may not have fallen off the map by this time, and you get to travel for a monday night game in Philly. Maybe you'll be lucky and McNabb won't be playing. How's that "spot light" now?

We then travel to Tennesse and the hated Jeff Fisher, while you play host to Cincy.

Finally, We play again. So...do you think we'll be resting starters or do you think it'll be a "must win" for your team?

Think about it Pal.

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
and here I guess is me looking ahead and actually saying what the record might be...keep in mind, talking to a Browns fan.

Ok buddy, first, stop with the name calling, its annoying me. Call us the Steelers or don't bother posting on this board.

As far as who we can or can't beat, or who you can or can't beat, the Pats, well we all know we don't do well against the Pats, I know that, we know that, they know it. But the Chargers, if you shut down LT, they are beatable. Rivers doesn't scare me in the least. Our defense is good enough to compete against their offense and our offense should be able to move the ball effectively against them. The Jags are the bigger headache with their run shut down defense.

I also gave a nod to the Browns for having the potential to win some games. but their schedule is almost as hard as ours, with Buffalo in their instead of the Pats, but the game is in Buffalo, and that place is a nut house. I've been there, the fans are rabid, especially if there is any hope in a game. Its a tough place to win. Buffalo will be a six win team this year, just hope you aren't one of their wins.

Even if we go 12-4 or 11-5, we still can win the division over the Browns. Its all about winning the AFC North games first, and we have established that we are very capable of doing that. We tossed a bone to the Ravens last season but went 5-1 against the AFC North. I like to think we do the same, splitting with the Ravens or Bengals but not both, and until I see otherwise, I believe the Steelers will go 2-0 against the Browns. Especially with the Browns coming off the Cowboys week 2. Don't over look anyone on the schedule, we play the Texans week 1. You should be focussed on the Cowboys, not the Steelers. Looking ahead will only get you punched in the mouth.

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 10:05 PM
I find it hilarious that back in May I mentioned that I hated Jeff Fisher...

and here we are...getting ready to play the Hated Jefff Fisher for the #1 Seed.

GOD DANG RIGHT! I wouldn't want it any other way

BlastFurnace
12-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I'd like your honest thoughts, not just "I knew it all along." kind of replies....

When this year's season schedule was released I remember thinking to myself, "How in the hell are we going to make the playoffs with this schedule?" Cripes!! Statistically it was the hardest schedule ever given to any team.

I figured we'd be damn lucky to be 10 - 6 at the end of the season. I hoped it would be enough for a wild card spot. now we sit at 11 - 3 with 2 games to go and the AFC North clinched already. HOT DAYAM!!

So.... My question and the reason for this thread is this... What was your honest gut reaction and end of season record guess when you first saw our schedule?

I thought we would be 9-7 and fighting tooth n' nail to keep the Browns off our heals.

I didn't think we would struggle on offense, but I did think we would struggle on defense....little did I know.

I thought the biggest pasting we were going to receive was in New England.

The game I wanted to win the most was vs. Dallas. My co-workers would have absolutely roasted me had the Cowboys beat us. Needless to say, my office was the least visited room of our entire floor that morning.

ShutDown24
12-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I was really frightened by the schedule...But my initial thought was that we would get 10 or 11 wins and the divison as I didn't expect The Ravens to be as good as they have been.

The Steelers have slightly exceeded my expectations thus far for the regular season with this brutal schedule. Hopefully they can exceed my playoff expectations as well!

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Guess I'm just nuts then...picking us to get 11 or 12 or more wins back in May...

mmm...me likes peanut butter right out of the jar....mmmm

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 10:43 PM
10-6 easy, possibly 11-5. This team just finds a way to win and overcome NFL front office adversity, it always has.

X-Terminator
12-16-2008, 10:44 PM
I predicted 9-7 and a division title. At least I managed to get one right :wink02:

lilyoder6
12-16-2008, 10:54 PM
i knew that as soon as the season started there would be a shit load more of B.A threads.. basing off of last yr...

augustashark
12-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Lets be honest, after how we played last year and then seeing this sch there was no way you could predict a 12+ wins. If you are a homer I guess you could, but I really did not see it.

VegasStlrFan
12-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Based on the schedule and getting no help on the Oline, I thought we'd be lucky to go 8 & 8, no playoffs, and a crappy draft pick . Glad to be wrong!

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Lets be honest, after how we played last year and then seeing this sch there was no way you could predict a 12+ wins. If you are a homer I guess you could, but I really did not see it.

I'm a total Homer....HA HA HA!

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

warddj86
12-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I honestly swear to God thought we'd go 11-5

hindes204
12-16-2008, 11:09 PM
I figured 10-6 or maybe 11-5, it was a tough schedule. i also didnt think baltimore would be this good and thought the browns were gonna be alot better than they are....i guess im an idiot

cowboykilla
12-16-2008, 11:16 PM
honestly, i thought we were goners man. i thought Tomlin was going to have a sophmore slump and i thought we'd barely make it past ANY team.

BUT...i never lost faith bro and that's all that matters. =)I didn't think we were going to do that good this year,but i did guess the ending to the sixth sense right,that was easy:noidea:

scsteeler
12-16-2008, 11:16 PM

My prediction on another Steelers board at the beginning of the Season Was 12-4. Most people said I was crazy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-17-2008, 01:00 AM
I honestly thought 9-7 or 10-6, glad to say i was wrong!
Me Too.

I thought that 10-6 might win the AFC North and the 9-7 might be good enough for a wildcard berth, especially after the Browns, Ravens and Steelers were finished beating each other up all season. 12-4 or 13-3 would be amazing.

bradness113
12-17-2008, 01:15 AM
13-3

Preacher
12-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Me three.

My guess was 9-7. 10-6. However, I thought that would be enough for first place in the AFCN. I didn't see the Ravens coming on strong like they did.

However, we have a VERY real possibility of 13-3 for the season. I would have JUMPED at that if given the option at the beginning of the year. Now, I am disappointed we lost those games. :chuckle:

Borski
12-17-2008, 02:28 AM
I thought we'd get around 10-6 and the Browns would finish 9-7 and the Bungals and Ratbirds would be completely out of the picture

Sharkissle29
12-17-2008, 02:34 AM
not gonna lie, i was scared shitless but still guessed we'd go 11-5. now im pleasantly surprised.

Steelman16
12-17-2008, 02:46 AM
I was the homer who predicted 10-6. :chuckle:

I must say I am very pleased with Captain T and how he's navigated the ship through the rapids.

jdsdaguy
12-17-2008, 04:05 AM
15-1.....i even posted about it. and i still think we should have gone 15-1.:hatsoff:

LambertIsGod58
12-17-2008, 05:01 AM
I honestly believed 8-8 was a strong possibility.......

ChronoCross
12-17-2008, 05:16 AM
I figured 9-7 would win the division and that is what we would end up at.. For someone to say they said 11 wins are more with confidence they were off there rocker.. Last year Tomlin could not win a road game are a easy game..

Rotorhead
12-17-2008, 05:50 AM
I think my prediction was 10-6, that was based on the games we should have won last year and lost. I knew we could do better, but didnt think we would with our OLine. I had no idea our Def would be this dominating!!

Edman
12-17-2008, 08:35 AM
The Schedule looked miserable back in April, and it still looks miserable now. The Jaguars and Chargers were disappointing, but those were two teams who always play the Steelers close.

The Patriots were a constant thorn in our asses, and Baltimore is always tough.

I'm not at all ashamed losing to the Giants.

stlrtruck
12-17-2008, 08:43 AM
I thought 11-5 or 10-6 would win the division and get us in the playoffs. And I thought with that schedule 10-6 was a realistic record.

SteelMember
12-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Even with our schedule, I still say Steelers take it 10-6.:tt03:

I'm glad I was wrong.

Now, I might even be willing to trade a SuperBowl victory this year for a sub 500 team next year...maybe.
Would anyone else trade their future year away for a guarenteed 6th Lombardi?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=25948&highlight=schedule&page=14

realdeal
12-17-2008, 09:30 AM
9-7

steelreserve
12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I seem to remember predicting a 16-0 finish and saying repeatedly that half the teams on the schedule weren't going to be as good as last year because of the salary cap and random injuries.

As I remember, the Browns were supposed to be a real powerhouse in the preseason picks -- two of our "toughest" games -- and the Ravens were supposed to be a cakewalk. The Cowboys were supposed to be world-beaters, and then there was all the needless hoopla like "OMG WE HAV 2 PLAY TEH CLOTS & TEH PATRIOTS, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!"

So OK, hte 16-0 part wasn't entirely serious, but the point is, a lot of people were worrying needlessly. It's professional football, and not many teams are actually easy to beat anyway.

SanAntonio'sHomes
12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I thought that we would end up 11-5 and winning the division because i always feel as if we should sweep our division!:tt:

steelerzfannforever
12-17-2008, 12:40 PM
I honestly thought we would be lucky to finish 9-7 or 8-8. I was really concerned and I honestly thought that Cleveland would win the division. Im so happy I was wrong and that the team is doing so well. Regardless of what our record is or has been, I have been a loyal fan for 32 years. It makes it even better that I live in Browns country and all of their fans are in an uproar! I have so many people come up to me when Im sporting the black n gold and tell me that they wish the Browns were like the Steelers!

drizze99
12-17-2008, 01:06 PM
What I predicted when I saw the schedule:

Houston: W
@ Cleveland: W
@ Philly: L
Baltimore: W
@ Jacksonville: L
@ Cincinnati: W
Giants: W
@ Washington: W
Indy: W
San Diego: W
Cincinnati: W
@ New England: L
Dallas: W
@ Baltimore: L
@ Tennessee: W
Cleveland: W

12-4

Busforever
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I didn't expect a top record like that, but i did expect we win the AFC North. Because it was evident to me that the Browns were going down: talent but lack of heart on offense to win with pressure (last year all their wins were tights, even against poor teams, and they never had a big easy win against a bad team, as all contender is supposed to have), QB controversy, no DB... But i also never expected the Ravens would be so dangerous, so all in all my AFC North prediction was right:laughing:

But i think what happens this season is impossible to predict. What was predictable was the poor level of the Oline. And maybe, maybe, all the consequences in offense. But you can't predict things as chemistry or team spirit. And that's what makes the Steelers so strong this year.

klick81
12-17-2008, 05:22 PM
This was my thought in the 2008 schedule thread:

I'M. SO. FREAKIN. PUMPED.

SteelCityMan786
12-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I felt this team could still make a good run. People were just trying to overreact to the whole Toughest League schedule.

Remember Folks, sometimes the Toughest Teams, must go through the Toughest Fire.

Give It To Abercrombie
12-17-2008, 06:32 PM
I vaguely remember predicting on a different post here that we'd go 10-6 and win the division. Privately/inwardly I was concerned about even being .500. All things considered I continue to be thrilled I was wrong.

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
10-6 and in the playoffs be it as a wild card, or division champs.

PisnNapalm
12-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the replies. One thing I forgot to say was that during this 4 game stretch of NE, Dallas, Baltimore and Tennessee, I would have settled for 2 -2 and at best thought we'd go 3 - 1.

However.... we can sweep these four games. I know we can. :)

MaidenIndiana
12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I thought we were screwed when I saw the schedule. But I did tell people that if they could find a way to win 10 games with that schedule, we'd be hard to beat come playoff time. Glad to be wrong about the 10 games

markymarc
12-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I really thought we would go 10-6 and easily win the division. I did not expect Baltimore to have such a good season like they did. And now that we are sitting at 11-3 with 2 more games I couldn't be happier. Just another reason to believe we have a very good shot at the final game considering the tough schedule.

TackleMeBen
12-18-2008, 12:21 PM
i didnt think we would be 11-3 right now. at best by just looking at the schedule when it came out i thought maybe 8-8. they did nothing to improve the Oline and we all knew that yet again ben would be running for his life.

#1LambertFan
12-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I was the homer of all homers last year telling everybody watch us go undefeated. But we lost 4 weeks in and expected a 13-3. This year when I first say the schedule I thought 10-6 get the wild card and lose the game. 11 wins already and playoffs are looking real nice right now.

Dino 6 Rings
12-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Still happy that I'm a blind home and at worse gave us only 11 wins.

But of coarse, I'm totally deranged and am a blind homer every single year.

I guess not having back to back losing seasons since before I was born does that to a guy...

TackleMeBen
12-18-2008, 12:38 PM
we all start off thinking we are going undefeated. we wouldnt be fans if we thought we werent going undefeated, well unless you are a lions fan..(sorry i had to say that). i start every year by saying we are going undefeated and winning the superbowl.

joeyssteelcurtain
12-18-2008, 11:15 PM
i was thinking 11 wins

NV STEELERS 723
12-18-2008, 11:41 PM
I was thinking 10-6 ...But what is amazing w/ this sched is the only team we deserved to lose to is Philly... and we were in the game in the 4th qrtr !
It's a true testament to the STEELERS D, and Ben running the no huddle when it needs to count!

Tankus_Maximus
12-19-2008, 12:15 AM
I honestly thought we'd go 11-5, or maybe 10-6.