PDA

View Full Version : PRO BOWL VOTE PROVES TOMLINíS VALUE TO STEELERS

mesaSteeler
12-16-2008, 08:44 PM
PRO BOWL VOTE PROVES TOMLINíS VALUE TO STEELERS
Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2008, 5:42 p.m.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Steeler Nation currently is up in arms regarding the fact that only three members of the team ó James Harrison, James Farrior, and Troy Polamalu ó won a spot on the the AFC Pro Bowl roster, with only two of them (Harrison and Polamalu) named as starters.

But letís be objective. Look at the full roster, and ask yourself if the Steelersí starters at the other positions are better than the guys who made it.

Running back Willie Parker has been too banged up, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has spent too much time running for his life. The offensive line has more holes than Andy Reidís donut stash. Receiver Hines Ward doesnít have the numbers, and receiver Santonio Holmes hasnít exactly put together a breakout year in that supposedly critical third season for a wideout.

On defense, the cornerbacks are good but not close to the three who made it (Asomugha, Finnegan, Revis), and the defensive line has no dominant presence that can overcome the stats-suppressing 3-4 system.

The only guy with a real beef is linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who should have made it over Suggs. Even then, however, itís a close call.

In our view, the entire exercise draws into clear focus the value of second-year coach Mike Tomlin to the Steelers. With a lineup not stocked with the best players in the league, Tomlin has led his team capably through one of the toughest schedules in NFL history.

The fact that the Steelers stand on the brink of swiping the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs from the Titans underscores the brilliance of Tomlinís work.

And so the real snub that should send Steelers fans en masse toward 280 Park Avenue with pitchforks and torches would be a Coach of the Year designation that goes to anyone other than Tomlin.

For more on the Steelersí incredible season and Tomlinís responsibility for it, we give you a little PFTV.

VTsteel
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Damn Straight! Tomlin IS the coach of the year.

austinfrench76
12-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Ike could have made it. I would of had no problem with him making it.

MACH1
12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
SWEEEEED :chuckle:

Stu Pidasso
12-16-2008, 09:09 PM
EVeryone always forget HEEEEEEATH!

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Hampton has had a pretty nice year clogging the middle and being the anchor of the defense...

Otherwise, good...lets be nice and "snubbed" and take that Chip right into a sweet playoff run...

right after we punch the Titans in the Teeth and stomp on their throats.

BlastFurnace
12-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Repeat after me "The Level of Expectation DOES...NOT...CHANGE"

That slogan will become as famous as "Let's Go" from the Cowher era.

Did Chuck have a slogan? I know he mentioned "Getting on with Life's work" to those he thought needed to retire. I don't recall any others.

The Duke
12-16-2008, 09:20 PM
SWEEEEED :chuckle:

:chuckle:

I wonder how many times STEELAMANIA voted for him

tyler289
12-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Looking at the numbers, it was hard to make an argument for a guy like Ike, Clark, etc.

Which is a testament to Tomlin and Labeau.

mesaSteeler
12-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Repeat after me "The Level of Expectation DOES...NOT...CHANGE"

That slogan will become as famous as "Let's Go" from the Cowher era.

Did Chuck have a slogan? I know he mentioned "Getting on with Life's work" to those he thought needed to retire. I don't recall any others.

A life of frustration is inevitable for any coach whose main enjoyment is winning.
Chuck Noll

Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.
Chuck Noll

It's not pleasant when you lose your whole football team.
Chuck Noll

The key to a winning season is focusing on one opponent at a time. Winning one week at a time. Never look back and never look ahead.
Chuck Noll

The thrill isn't in the winning, it's in the doing.
Chuck Noll

Fire Haley
12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Two straight DivisionTitles PROVES TOMLIN’S VALUE TO STEELERS.

There - that looks better.

markymarc
12-17-2008, 06:15 PM
While it's total B.S. we only have 3 pro bowlers, we have bigger fish to fry.

Avoid LLoyd1975
12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
A life of frustration is inevitable for any coach whose main enjoyment is winning.
Chuck Noll

Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.
Chuck Noll

It's not pleasant when you lose your whole football team.
Chuck Noll

The key to a winning season is focusing on one opponent at a time. Winning one week at a time. Never look back and never look ahead.
Chuck Noll

The thrill isn't in the winning, it's in the doing.
Chuck Noll

Those are some awesome quotes.

stillers4me
12-17-2008, 07:28 PM
For more on the Steelersí incredible season and Tomlinís responsibility for it, we give you a little PFTV.

So Tomlin's playing in the games now, tto?

pfft.......This is Florio's backhanded way of covering his ass for slamming the Steelers all season, and now look who's at the top of the pile. The guy is an idiot.

steelwall
12-17-2008, 07:38 PM
So Tomlin's playing in the games now, tto?

pfft.......This is Florio's backhanded way of covering his ass for slamming the Steelers all season, and now look who's at the top of the pile. The guy is an idiot.

Got that right. I can't stand Florio. He has bashed us all year. Not to mention there was some fairy at my last job that had the exact same name.....could it be????

jjpro11
12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
he makes it sound like we have a bunch of scrubs on defense, which is total bullshit.. tomlin has done an incredible job for us, more than i could have ever imagined when we first signed him.. but guys like aaron smith, casey hampton, lamarr woodley, and ike taylor are elite players at their position.. ryan clark and bryant mcfadden have been brilliant in their roles as well. this is a talented group of defenders.. tomlin and lebeau are utilizing them to their fullest abilities.

GBMelBlount
12-17-2008, 08:17 PM
In our view, the entire exercise draws into clear focus the value of second-year coach Mike Tomlin to the Steelers. With a lineup not stocked with the best players in the league, Tomlin has led his team capably through one of the toughest schedules in NFL history.

I agree. If you are a champion, you are not concerned about the winning percentage of your opponents......Despite a brutal schedule, this coach and team have kept their focus on one thing, winning, and they have yet to blink. I'm damn proud of these guys.

mesaSteeler
12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Got that right. I can't stand Florio. He has bashed us all year. Not to mention there was some fairy at my last job that had the exact same name.....could it be????

I agree he is a total tool but is fun watching the SOB eat his words.

HometownGal
12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
What - Mitch Berger isn't the starting AFC punter??? What is the matter with these fans??? :noidea::chuckle:

Tomlin is the true definition of a players' coach. He's tough when he needs to be but gives every player respect and treats them like a member of his own family.

For the doubters who were pissed off when the Rooneys chose him to be their HC after The Chin resigned . . . :moon:

FSUBoo
12-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I love the fact that Tomlin doesn't openly yell at you in front of the entire world in games. He just gets in your earhole and quietly tells you what needs to be said.

fred
12-18-2008, 01:59 AM
LaMarr Woodley should've made the ProBowl....and perhaps Ryan Clark..
Clark's had a good year too.

Rek
12-18-2008, 03:12 AM
Was I the only one who voted for Davenport and Paul Ernster?

Blitzburgh_Fever
12-18-2008, 04:47 AM
LaMarr Woodley should've made the ProBowl....and perhaps Ryan Clark..
Clark's had a good year too.

Clark is probably in good running for Comeback Player of the Year. If going by stats it'd probably be Warner or Collins, but they usually pick someone that's had an illness or injury somehow instead of just playing like ass for several years and then having an elite season.

TackleMeBen
12-18-2008, 07:30 AM
i am still shocked that 7 jets made it. there is no way in hell farve should have made the pro bowl this season. and for that matter jay cutler?? i mean come on.

but let those guys have fun in the pro bowl, while we bring home the lombardi trophy. who gets the real prize at the end of the season??lol

fred
12-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Favre always gets voted in........than drops out..........and players who "should" be in
the pro bowl don't get enough votes..go figure........

JackHammer
12-20-2008, 05:19 AM
I'll be pissed if they snub Tomlin for Coach of the Year. I'm sure Sporano will end up gettin it though :mad:

Galax Steeler
12-20-2008, 05:25 AM
I agree Woodley should have made the roster to be in his second year he sure showed alot of potential and hopefully he can step it up a notch next year.

meelanova
12-20-2008, 06:29 AM
I'll be pissed if they snub Tomlin for Coach of the Year. I'm sure Sporano will end up gettin it though :mad:

I think its only right Soprano gets it. Dolphins were 1-15