PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: Master Of The Two Minute Drill

mesaSteeler
12-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: Master Of The Two Minute Drill
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/93750-ben-roethlisberger-master-of-the-two-minute-drill
by Eddie Rossell (Scribe)

Seventeen. That's how many game winning drives Ben Roethlisberger has engineered in his short five year career. That also makes four this season alone. There is no doubt Big Ben can step up in the clutch and deliver.

Sure Johnny U invented the two minute drill, but Ben Roethlisberger has mastered it. No other QB in the league today can bring their team back as consistently as Roethlisberger.

On the final drive of Sunday's game at Baltimore, Roethlisberger and the Steelers started at their own eight yard line, and drove 92 yards for the game winning TD to Santonio Holmes. Roethlisberger went 7-11 for 89 on that drive alone.

And here's another interesting stat: Roethlisberger got more first downs (7) on that final drive alone than in the rest of the game (6). That's stepping up in the clutch.

In fact, Roethlisberger's great fourth quarter play has been a recurring theme over the past few weeks. The Steelers have outscored their opponent 37-0 in the fourth quarter their last three games combined. The zero in that stat can be credited to the defense, along with six of the points, but the rest has been great play from Roethlisberger in particular.

Here are Roethlisberger's fourth quarter stats over the past three games:

Roethlisberger has thrown 18 completions on 29 attempts for 207 yards and two scores. And probably one of the most important stats, zero INTs. That's just in the fourth quarter alone of the past three games. And those are stats for just three total quarters of play, which if you really think about it is pretty good.

In a season when the Steelers have had a less productive running game than in previous years, and with such a strong defense, it really helps out when your QB can finish like Roethlisberger can.

And without any of his great comebacks this season, the Steelers would be 7-7.

BettorFan
12-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Big Ben is a force to be reckoned with

cubanstogie
12-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Big Ben is a force to be reckoned with

everyone knows he just manages games. Manages to win games that is.

mesaSteeler
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
everyone knows he just manages games. Manages to win games that is.

Well said.

NYC SteelersFan
12-16-2008, 09:39 PM
They actually started praising him on ESPN this week, it was great. They know that if he wins the Superbowl again that they will all look like absolute fools if they continue to call him a good "game manager". (Although they already look like absolute fools to me and have for a long time)

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Just watched the drive against the Ravens...man I love NFL Network Replay...

He was great on that drive, 2 bad throws though, one high to Nate, one short and low to Holmes. But the rest, were money throws and he was so calm running the no huddle hurry up...the Ravens were running around and falling all over themselves...

Great Stuff...

But of coarse, he's just a game manager...(sarc smiley)

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Ben is great!

Hammer Of The GODS
12-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Just watched the drive against the Ravens...man I love NFL Network Replay...

He was great on that drive, 2 bad throws though, one high to Nate, one short and low to Holmes. But the rest, were money throws and he was so calm running the no huddle hurry up...the Ravens were running around and falling all over themselves...

Great Stuff...

But of coarse, he's just a game manager...(sarc smiley)

I think you can chalk those up to cold weather :chuckle:

Naysayers will always say nay.

Bens stats don't consist of multiple 300 yd + games therefore he is overlooked.

Remember how much the media was on Carsons jock? HA! He got them ONE playoff appearance and ONE play! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just goes to show ya the asshats that call themselves analysts are lost!

hindes204
12-16-2008, 10:28 PM
wheres all the ben haters...they seem to have quieted down, i guess because he just keeps on winning. i bought a roethlisberger jersey a few months after we drafted him, way before he was a starter, i guess i can tell the future...ben is great

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I think you can chalk those up to cold weather :chuckle:

Remember how much the media was on Carsons jock? HA! He got them ONE playoff appearance and ONE play! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just goes to show ya the asshats that call themselves analysts are lost!

oh man...don't even start with the Carson Palmer stuff...there is an entire thread in either the locker room or blast furnace where I tear that guy apart.

Tankus_Maximus
12-16-2008, 11:31 PM
oh man...don't even start with the Carson Palmer stuff...there is an entire thread in either the locker room or blast furnace where I tear that guy apart.

Who's that?!?!

Is he even still in the league?

Or has he been plagued by (yet another) injury??

revefsreleets
12-17-2008, 08:52 AM
"Eh, Ben's an overpaid bum"

< The Dime-a-dozen haters club >

markymarc
12-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Impossible! No way can a game manager have 17 come from behind victories to his credit :chuckle: Ben needs to stop putting up stats like these to shut down his critics.

ricksteelers55
12-18-2008, 03:43 AM
Joe Montana's NFL record is 32 4th qtr comeback i think

Ben already has 17 in 5 seasons

.....my guess is he will beat it

+ he's already the best QB in the NFL history for wins in first 5 seasons with 50(and the season isnt over)

so Ben's haters look stupid now

stillers4me
12-18-2008, 05:36 AM
Joe Montana's NFL record is 32 4th qtr comeback i think

Ben already has 17 in 5 seasons

.....my guess is he will beat it

It's a good thing I asked for that portable defib unit for Christmas.

Pass the valium, please. :chuckle:

Steelers & I
12-18-2008, 05:42 AM
They actually started praising him on ESPN this week, it was great. They know that if he wins the Superbowl again that they will all look like absolute fools if they continue to call him a good "game manager". (Although they already look like absolute fools to me and have for a long time)

I liked what they said on Pardon The Interruption, "We keep wandering off to all of these other quarterbacks but we keep coming back to Ben Roethlisberger."

NYC SteelersFan
12-18-2008, 01:26 PM
I liked what they said on Pardon The Interruption, "We keep wandering off to all of these other quarterbacks but we keep coming back to Ben Roethlisberger."

They've been forced to this week. I mean it all started this week cause they have clinched a first round bye and the media knows that all they have to do is win 3 in a row now for a Superbowl victory, which is not at all far-fetched. The fear of them winning a second Superbowl in 4 years and having all of them looking like absolute morons for never giving the Steelers any credit and having the audacity to continue calling Roethlisberger a "pretty good" "game manager", has got all of them back tracking to now make it seem they always liked the Steelers and Roethlisberger.

Skip Bayless calling Roethlisberger the MVP, Bayless wouldn't have even called Roethlisberger a top ten quarterback 1 week ago that piece of trash.

43Hitman
12-18-2008, 01:31 PM
They've been forced to this week. I mean it all started this week cause they have clinched a first round bye and the media knows that all they have to do is win 3 in a row now for a Superbowl victory, which is not at all far-fetched. The fear of them winning a second Superbowl in 4 years and having all of them looking like absolute morons for never giving the Steelers any credit and having the audacity to continue calling Roethlisberger a "pretty good" "game manager", has got all of them back tracking to now make it seem they always liked the Steelers and Roethlisberger.

Skip Bayless calling Roethlisberger the MVP, Bayless wouldn't have even called Roethlisberger a top ten quarterback 1 week ago that piece of trash.

Well holy shit, we agree on something. :thumbsup: Well said.

NYC SteelersFan
12-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Well holy shit, we agree on something. :thumbsup: Well said.

Keep a log for me if you can so when the "all negative, all the time" claims come pouring on we have something to reference to.

43Hitman
12-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Keep a log for me if you can so when the "all negative, all the time" claims come pouring on we have something to reference to.

yeah....o...k....love the attitude....I think....

steelpride12
12-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I feel when the offense is struggling the no huddle should be used more often. Its successful and Ben is more accurate and comfortable in this position, maybe their saving it for the playoffs, but the no huddle has been a spark all season and def. a threat to defenses.