PDA

View Full Version : No constitutional right is absolute...

PisnNapalm
12-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Unbelievable....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...JKdG2QD9542UVG0 (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hCTDCtVBhc2ugiMV6sP_bPJKdG2QD9542UVG0)

WASHINGTON (AP) The District of Columbia Council passed more regulations for gun owners Tuesday, months after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the city's 32-year-old handgun ban.

Among other things, the bill requires gun owners to register their weapons every three years and receive training by a certified firearms instructor.

"This bill will be, I think, one of the most progressive registration laws in the country," Council member Phil Mendelson said.

The National Rifle Association accused the city of forcing residents to jump through unnecessary hurdles, thereby undermining the intent of the Supreme Court's ruling in June that affirmed the right of Americans to keep guns in the home for self defense.

"The D.C. Council continues to try to make it harder and harder for law-abiding citizens to access this freedom," NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre said.

In September, the House passed an NRA-backed bill that would have essentially stripped the city of its ability to regulate firearms, but the measure died in the Senate.

D.C. leaders say they are trying to be respectful of the Supreme Court case while doing everything they can to enact strict gun control measures in a city where gun violence is common.

"No constitutional right is absolute, nor is this right to possess a gun in the home for self defense," said councilwoman Mary Cheh, a law professor at George Washington University.

Since the handgun ban was overturned, the council has passed legislation allowing residents to own most semiautomatic pistols while banning magazines capable of firing more than 10 rounds. Registration also is limited to one pistol a month, and gun owners face prosecution if they fail to keep loaded weapons away from children.

Tuesday's bill builds on those regulations. It requires gun owners to spend at least one hour at the firing range and four hours in the classroom with an instructor before registration. The bill also requires a criminal background check for gun owners every six years.

Just wait until Obama get's into the White House. :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

We'll see this kind of tyranny on an unprecedented scale in the U.S.S.A. :mad:

X-Terminator
12-16-2008, 11:05 PM
No Constitiutional right is absolute? Is she serious??? What, the Constitution and BofR are just pieces of paper to be balled up and thrown in the garbage to her?

Look, I don't like or own guns. But I'll definitely speak up for a person's right to own them and carry them.

augustashark
12-16-2008, 11:12 PM
:shake01:

Dino 6 Rings
12-16-2008, 11:40 PM
yeah...nice...

Pretty sure the Bill of Rights aren't going to be changed by ANYONE without a Civil War being fought first.

Those who want to uphold the True Constitution vs those would Change it.

I know what corner I'm in.

Preacher
12-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't remember who it was...

but someone this fall was touting how important it was to have a consitutional lawyer in the whitehouse....

Well, here is a law professor... yeah, no thanks.

fansince'76
12-17-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't remember who it was...

but someone this fall was touting how important it was to have a consitutional lawyer in the whitehouse....

Well, here is a law professor... yeah, no thanks.

This after 8 years of nonstop screeching about so-called "illegal" wiretaps and how GWB's administration has supposedly trampled all over the Bill of Rights. Ironic. "No constitutional right is absolute...particularly the ones we don't like."

tony hipchest
12-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Among other things, the bill requires gun owners to register their weapons every three years and receive training by a certified firearms instructor.
hopefully this keeps dumbasses like plaxico burress from thinking that the waistband of ones "draws" is the appropriate place to illegally conceal a gun, while out in public, as opposed to shooting oneself in the leg and ruining a perfectly good career (let alone wasting an innocent bystander).

seriously, how many here would defend pac man jones or chris henry's right to "bear arms". :hunch:

just cause we administer morphine in hospitals, doesnt mean it should be sold at the corner store to 11 year olds.

MACH1
12-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Just wait until Obama get's into the White House. :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

We'll see this kind of tyranny on an unprecedented scale in the U.S.S.A. :mad:

Yep, He's gonna screw all 57 states out of their constitutional right.

SteelCurtain7
12-17-2008, 07:04 AM
No Constitiutional right is absolute? Is she serious??? What, the Constitution and BofR are just pieces of paper to be balled up and thrown in the garbage to her?

Look, I don't like or own guns. But I'll definitely speak up for a person's right to own them and carry them.

Truth.

Hammer67
12-17-2008, 07:12 AM
hopefully this keeps dumbasses like plaxico burress from thinking that the waistband of ones "draws" is the appropriate place to illegally conceal a gun, while out in public, as opposed to shooting oneself in the leg and ruining a perfectly good career (let alone wasting an innocent bystander).

seriously, how many here would defend pac man jones or chris henry's right to "bear arms". :hunch:

just cause we administer morphine in hospitals, doesnt mean it should be sold at the corner store to 11 year olds.

Except, for the fact that Burress had his gun ILLEGALLY...so obviously, the law barely applies to knuckleheads who should be prosecuted. These kinds of laws only hamper law abiding citizens like my uncle, a rare gun collector.

Thugs and gang members usually fail mandatory background checks so they get their weapons the old fashioned way, they steal them.

xfl2001fan
12-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Gun control laws only work with law abiding citizens...the problem we face (in regards to gun related crime) isn't how law-abiding citizens do things. This is so stupid.

tony hipchest
12-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Except, for the fact that Burress had his gun ILLEGALLY...

yeah, thats pretty much what i said.

These kinds of laws only hamper law abiding citizens like my uncle, a rare gun collector.

how does this hamper your uncle? he is a law abiding citizen right? whats stopping him from registering his guns every 3 years? we all hate renewing our drivers license and car registration, but its something we just do.

Thugs and gang members usually fail mandatory background checks so they get their weapons the old fashioned way, they steal them

let me guess... they all hold up a gun store with a knife?

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Except, for the fact that Burress had his gun ILLEGALLY...so obviously, the law barely applies to knuckleheads who should be prosecuted. These kinds of laws only hamper law abiding citizens like my uncle, a rare gun collector.

Thugs and gang members usually fail mandatory background checks so they get their weapons the old fashioned way, they steal them.

Most of the Illegal guns on the street are registered as stolen...that is a fact.

They are, more often than not, stolen during a residential burglary..and illegally sold or bartered 2 to 3 times before being recovered.

I know that the gun-banners argue that if they weren't in homes they wouldn't be stolen....but the same thing could be said for legal prescription drugs.

My fear is that there will be a "fee" for registration that will be so high as to prohibit legal gun ownership

The funny thing is...by their own admission the District of Columbia describes their district as gun-infested and violent...even with a 32 year old ban in place.

The average rate of violent crime in states with strict gun-control laws was 645 crimes per 100,000 persons—about 50 percent higher than the average rate in the eleven states where strict gun-control laws have never been passed.

The reality of the FACT that those areas with strict gun-control laws have the worst crime rates has still not sunk into the pseudo-intellectual mindset of those who THINK they are wiser than those they are supposed to "represent".

Hammer67
12-17-2008, 11:47 AM
yeah, thats pretty much what i said.

how does this hamper your uncle? he is a law abiding citizen right? whats stopping him from registering his guns every 3 years? we all hate renewing our drivers license and car registration, but its something we just do.

let me guess... they all hold up a gun store with a knife?

THe problem is the logic between gun laws...the laws do not affect the people they intend to....criminals. Because they usually obtain weapons illegally anyway, avoiding any administrative barriers. My uncle is the one who has to jump through the hoops to register, educate, etc. He does it because it's the law, but that doesn't mean the law makes any sense.

I do think the waiting period and background check is a valid requirment, by the way.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-17-2008, 12:27 PM
The reality of the FACT that those areas with strict gun-control laws have the worst crime rates has still not sunk into the pseudo-intellectual mindset of those who THINK they are wiser than those they are supposed to "represent".

This is in my top 5 statements that I have read in this forum!

As for the topic of the constitution being "expendable", well......... after this past election I feel this country is circling the drain and the libs are holding down the handle.

NateDawgK2
12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
just look at Chicago - some of the most strict gun control laws in the country & yet they are in top in rates of violence

both my wife & I just got our weapons permits - I have never owned a gun before - but now with Obama in office and his stance on gun restrictions you bet your bottom dollar I am getting one now before he does everything he can to strip us of all our constitutional rights

TroysBadDawg
12-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Outlaw guns and only the criminals will have them. I will give up my gus when the criminals give up their guns and not until.

They want my guns they can pry my cold dead fingers from them.

I will keep my freedom, my money and my guns, you keep the change.

Here is a link to how they want to take away ammunition for firearms.
link for sample legislation to take away access to ammunition (http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm)

Well whats his name got in office by questionable means to me and they started already. He still has refused to produce a birth certificate or school records.