PDA

View Full Version : [RUMOR]Holmgren to be next Cowboys HC?

BrandonCarr39
12-17-2008, 12:33 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl#?eref=fromSI

Like player, like former coach. This season was supposed to be the last in Seattle and the last in the coaching career of Mike Holmgren of the Seahawks, who led the Green Bay Packers from 1992-'98 and into two Super Bowls. But last week Holmgren told reporters he was reconsidering his decision to leave coaching, even though it won't be in Seattle, which has planned to replace Holmgren with Jim Mora Jr. Holmgren said he might decide not to retire. He'll make up his mind after taking some time off after the season concludes. Gee, that circumstance sounds vaguely familiar. On Sunday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen speculated that Holmgren could wind up coaching - get this - the Dallas Cowboys. "(Holmgren) conceded he was having second thoughts about stepping aside from coaching," Mortensen said on "Sunday NFL Countdown," ESPN's pregame show. "He said, like Brett Favre, the Seahawks' organization has moved on. Holmgren's commitment to his wife, Kathy, is that he would take some time off after the season. Will that be a couple of weeks instead of a year as planned? "What if Jerry Jones comes a calling? In fact, Seahawks sources agree that one destination for Holmgren that should not be ignored is Dallas, because he and Jones have developed a very close relationship over the years. The pairing would not be anywhere as odd as, say, Bill Parcells and Jones."

chucoblack&gold
12-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Would look like a good move. Holmgren strikes me as a "Parcells" type of coach who believes in letting the coaches coach and letting the players play. In other words keeping the pompous owner in the sky box.

............. and when I say pompous owner I am reffering to the one that comes out in Pepsi Max commercials taking away the headset from a coordinator.:chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-17-2008, 01:17 AM
well if cowher doesnt accept j. jones offer, atleast he has a backup plan... ::hunch:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-17-2008, 03:42 AM
I don't know when his contract is up, but just because he resigns as the HC of the Seahawks doesn't mean he's free to go anywhere he wants.

He is still "propery" of the Seahawks until his contract is up, even if he's not the active head coach...unless they legally void his contract.

So if he were to decide he wanted to coach the Cowboys next season if offered one of the following would have to happen:

1. His contract runs out at the end of this season, making him a "free agent".

2. The Cowboys trade draft picks to the Seahawks to get him a la Herm Edwards from the Jets to the Chiefs.

3. Holmgren buys out the rest of his contract with the Seahawks.

4. Jerry Jones buys out the rest of his conract with the Seahawks.

5. At his request, the Seahawks void his contract when he steps down at the end of the season.

Steelman16
12-17-2008, 03:51 AM
Bah, he's just been hearing rumors that there are better doughnuts in Dallas.

SteelCurtain7
12-17-2008, 07:01 AM
I'm not buying this. I thought Jason Garrett was supposed to be next in line for the job?

Dino 6 Rings
12-17-2008, 08:01 AM
What a jerk, gee, I wonder if maybe you Lost the Locker room in Seattle because you

A. Pretty much told the team prior to the season you were quiting on them

B. Got rid of a leader of the team (even if he had lost a step) to get guys to run the ball that weren't a single bit better than the Vet.

C. Have been flirting with the "rival" 49ers for the last 2 seasons and have had your name in every discussion for them everytime their coach came under fire.

What a Jerk. At least when Cowher left, he not only sat out 1 full year, but 2 full years. He could have been coaching this season, which many expected, however he at least showed a little Class and sat out for a little bit and at least pretended he was retired.

Holgrem is a putz.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-17-2008, 11:32 AM
He'd do well there.

Honestly, I know you guys hate the Cowboys, but they have a team set up and a Kid who idolized Brett Farve as a kid. It'd work out well.

I'm not sure if Cowher would want to be under a guy like Snyder or Jones. They seem very controlling and thats not what he'd feel comfortable with. Again, Lerner is rich and very hands off.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
I agree with RRWPC, I don't see Cowher going to work under an owner like Snyder or Jones.

The Rooneys really let Cowher and Colbert bring in who they wanted and only stepped in on extreme cases.

Jones and Snyder make those desicions for their teams. Bringing TO into the Cowboys was a Jerry Jones move that Parcells was against. I doubt Cowher would be happy with that...and I believe that Jones is a big reason why Parcells decided to leave the Cowboys.