PDA

View Full Version : Fire the Steeler Fans

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 10:50 AM
After much deliberation and after carefully scanning the bleacher section of Madden NFL 09, I have come to the inevitible conclusion that our beloved Steelers would be better off without us fans.

Dont get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for those who bleed the black and gold....who stoicly bare the arctic conditions of Pittsburgh winters...and who plan their weddings and strangley enough, their funerals around Steeler games.

But lets not forget the other Steelers fans.

What about those who, while not actually "game watchers" take time out of their busy schedule to watch the ESPN highlights? What about those who wisely avoid the criticisms of a well thought-out opinion and instead sagely adopt the sports radio talking heads viewpoint as their own? And let us not forget those fans who simply play devils-advocate to all things Steelers. Those who think themselves above the mob-mentality of the rest of us "kool-aid drinkers". Who think that by poo-pooing the 11-3 Steelers, they have reached sports Nirvana through enlightenment.

Yep. Fire all us.

All the Steelers have given us is an enjoyable product. A team that has had its champions, its warriors, and yes even its characters bleed upon a field of green for our entire lifetimes. A team that for the last 30 + years has rewarded us fans with memorable games, championships, and Super bowls.

Why should such a team think that they deserve more than criticism about its owners being cheap. What makes them think that just because their current QB has won more games in his first five years than ANY QB IN HISTORY did in their first five, we should give him the benefit of a doubt if he has a bad game. I mean, please, Sports radio said this morning that Carson is better than Ben...what more proof do you need?

They should let us all go...if they dont understand that the all important and unrefutable statistics show that 9 out of 7 Steelers fans believe 3 important things:
1) We know football better than those who have coached and managed the game at a profession level and 2) We who have spilled beer in the stands have more at stake on Sunday then those who spill their blood on the field.
Yep...the stats dont lie.

So.... since we are all so underappreciated and ignored....since the team refuses to listen to us when we demand they cut our starters and begin from scratch...since they think that an 11-3 team is acceptable when we all KNOW better.

Fire the fans.

Dr. Spencer Wells
The American Black & Gold Troll Association

Hammer Of The GODS
12-17-2008, 10:55 AM
:chuckle:

steelreserve
12-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I get it. Tomlin's a better coach than me, and Parker's a better running back than me. That still doesn't mean he doesn't suck compared to other professional football players.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I get it. Tomlin's a better coach than me, and Parker's a better running back than me. That still doesn't mean he doesn't suck compared to other professional football players.

You got it?....good.

steelreserve
12-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes, I get it. Unless I can physically outperform someone else on the football field, I have no right to assume that another professional athlete could do a better job than them. And unless I have more NFL coaching experience than someone else, I should just assume they always made the right move, and in fact I shouldn't even bother to form an opinion about any of their decisions.

But no, seriously, all you're doing is repeating one of the most tired go-to arguments in sports. Shouldn't question what the team's doing because they know better than us fans? Guess what -- that's just part of following a team.

DACEB
12-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Pick up your pink slips as you file out!

X-Terminator
12-17-2008, 11:32 AM
I think the point the good Dr. is making is that we have an 11-3 team, yet all people want to do is whine and bitch and moan about...well, everything. I firmly believe that if the Steelers win the SB, there will still be people on this board bitching about something that happened during the game. I mean, we STILL hear about how horrible Ben was in XL, when the last time I checked, they WON!

Criticism is fine. When you argue over...and over...and over...and over again about the same damn thing, then it gets a little old and the thoughts that the fans are never happy about anything gains a little steam. But the way some people have been acting, you'd think we're 3-11 instead of 11-3. The seemingly endless negativity on this board and on other boards has gotten just a bit out of hand.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Yes, I get it. Unless I can physically outperform someone else on the football field, I have no right to assume that another professional athlete could do a better job than them. And unless I have more NFL coaching experience than someone else, I should just assume they always made the right move, and in fact I shouldn't even bother to form an opinion about any of their decisions.

But no, seriously, all you're doing is repeating one of the most tired go-to arguments in sports. Shouldn't question what the team's doing because they know better than us fans? Guess what -- that's just part of following a team.

Okay ...you dont get it.

1) Everyone already knows your opinion and any venom towards your opinion is based more on its repetition than on its content.

2) I didnt even have you in mind when I wrote the post....sorry.

3) the underlying fact is that the team "is what it is"...

Tomlin had no way of knowing that Willie was going to get hurt this year...He had no spiritual vision that told him what everyones stats were going to be. Has Willie underperformed...yes. But what will his stats be next year...??? You dont know? Neither do I...Neither does Tomlin....just as he didnt know what Willies stats would be this year.

Most of the criticism I have heard about the players and coaches on this team is based on hindsight...not thoughtful realistic thinking about how teams are ran.

All Tomlin can do is work within the confines of the talent he possesses on the team that he coaches. He has coached this team to a 11-3 record.

Personally I dont care for Townsend ...never have. I would like to see him gone after this year and we pick up a young stud....I have posted that opinion and feel no desire to do it again.

The post was written tongue in cheek to hopefully stop the repetitive (fill in the blank) _______ should be fired posts or _______ sucks posts.

Will it work...probably not.

Dino 6 Rings
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
You can't Fire me...

I have Fan Tenure

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I think the point the good Dr. is making is that we have an 11-3 team, yet all people want to do is whine and bitch and moan about...well, everything. I firmly believe that if the Steelers win the SB, there will still be people on this board bitching about something that happened during the game. I mean, we STILL hear about how horrible Ben was in XL, when the last time I checked, they WON!

Criticism is fine. When you argue over...and over...and over...and over again about the same damn thing, then it gets a little old and the thoughts that the fans are never happy about anything gains a little steam. But the way some people have been acting, you'd think we're 3-11 instead of 11-3. The seemingly endless negativity on this board and on other boards has gotten just a bit out of hand.

....and you DO get it.

Steely McSmash
12-17-2008, 11:37 AM
...9 out of 7 Steelers fans believe 3 important things:
1) We know football better than those who have coached and managed the game at a profession level and 2) We who have spilled beer in the stands have more at stake on Sunday then those who spill their blood on the field.
Yep...the stats dont lie....

9 out of 7??

List of 3 things includes only 2 things??

Other than that this is a load of crap. Steeler fans are compelled to make inane and pointless conversation about topics that have been beaten to death already because they can't stop thinking about the team.

If you want fans who are just going to wave the flag and wait idle till gameday you need some brainless fans that don't care. Try another team I guess.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 11:47 AM
9 out of 7??

List of 3 things includes only 2 things??

Other than that this is a load of crap. Steeler fans are compelled to make inane and pointless conversation about topics that have been beaten to death already because they can't stop thinking about the team.

If you want fans who are just going to wave the flag and wait idle till gameday you need some brainless fans that don't care. Try another team I guess.

9 out of 7 ...and listing 2 things of a list of 3......was my way of showing that stats alone are stupid....Sorry if you missed the point.

Did you just say "Steeler fans are compelled to make inane and pointless conversation about topics that have been beaten to death already..."????

ANYONE who is knowingly COMPELLED to make inane and pointless conversation....either needs therapy or has a monthly visitor.

I bleed black and gold....but the point is ...the REPITITIVE "sucks" and "needs fired" posts are the easiest and cheapest form of posting...period.

Steely McSmash
12-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree that the fire ___ posts are not particularly interesting. I've never taken part in that other than speculation in the offseason.

But seriously, in my opinion this conversation is to fill time and discuss the team until gameday. So from a pragmatic perspective it is pointless other than to entertain ourselves. I guess your point is that the negativity and repetativeness is not entertaining.

I can see that but I also see couched within much negativity the figurative discussion of how to make the team better. Improvement begins with criticism.

BTW anyone observing me on gameday would probably agree that I need therapy.

steelreserve
12-17-2008, 12:14 PM

A lot of the "fed up with all the bitching" crowd tend to say things like, "The Steelers are winning games! What's wrong with you? Are you demanding that they be perfect to make you happy?"

YES! Almost without a doubt! In order to win the Super Bowl, you have to be pretty close to perfect. And isn't that what every fan is after this year? Yeah, we're doing well this season, but let me put it this way: How many 11-3 teams can you think of that DIDN'T win the Super Bowl? And why didn't they win? Probably because they had vulnerabilities or didn't run things as well as they could've.

Almost all of the bitching I've seen this year has been directed at one facet or another of the offense (or the special teams if they screw up royally). Why? Because that's the one thing that could come back to bite us no matter where we finish in the regular season. Is it justified? Absolutely, as long as we continue to struggle. You hope for the best, but you still worry about anything they're not doing as well as they should, because that can cost you a championship just like that. Steelers fans, of all people, ought to be well aware of that.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 12:28 PM
A lot of the "fed up with all the bitching" crowd tend to say things like, "The Steelers are winning games! What's wrong with you? Are you demanding that they be perfect to make you happy?"

YES! Almost without a doubt! In order to win the Super Bowl, you have to be pretty close to perfect. .

Circular logic.....The "Steelers Sucks" crowd say that you have to be close to perfect to win....but consistantely use Ben's winning Super Bowl performance as proof that he sucks.

Cant be both ways.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
You can't Fire me...

I have Fan Tenure

Damn Unions!!!

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

tony hipchest
12-17-2008, 12:31 PM
lets see if we can get a few loyal browns and lions fans in a trade...

43Hitman
12-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Very well said Doctor. I don't think you can fire me, cause I was born a Steeler fan, so yeah I have tenure as well.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 12:37 PM

LMAO!!!...I was thinking Seahawks.

43Hitman
12-17-2008, 12:38 PM

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: No doubt, I am already on record saying that in some sort of demented way I wish the Steelers would suck for a couple of years, so we can purge some of these bandwagoners.

DACEB
12-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Just a thought.... I wonder if Tomlin avoids certain issues because he's already addressed them, even when they are repeated.

I believe EVERYONE has a right to their opinion. If you don't agree with it, it should be debated not rudely dismissed. If you choose not to debate, that's fine, others may choose to join the debate or inevitably the thread will die.

It's clear that our passion for the game and this team drive these heated debates. I don't agree that everyone is a MMQB, many have legitimate arguements and back up their statements with knowledgable facts or stats. These fans should not be treated as any less a fan than you or I.

And let's debunk the myth that the coaches and FO are above making a personnel or game day decision that falls flat. There are countless examples all around the NFL, including Pitt.. Talk about old, that's the oldest and worst and least knowledgable argument there is.

Obviously this has gone on for decades, which again is testament to the fanbase this team has. Once again, if you can't bring anything to the table other than condecending, rude one line babble then move on. There are a large number of fans that might actually agree with something you don't agree on, if not the thread dies.

Let's not forget that many fans on this forum and others come to vent or talk Steelers because they don't live in an area with many Steelers fans. This is their opportunity to talk about the team they love!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Just a thought.... I wonder if Tomlin avoids certain issues because he's already addressed them, even when they are repeated.

I believe EVERYONE has a right to their opinion. If you don't agree with it, it should be debated not rudely dismissed. If you choose not to debate, that's fine, others may choose to join the debate or inevitably the thread will die.

It's clear that our passion for the game and this team drive these heated debates. I don't agree that everyone is a MMQB, many have legitimate arguements and back up their statements with knowledgable facts or stats. These fans should not be treated as any less a fan than you or I.

And let's debunk the myth that the coaches and FO are above making a personnel or game day decision that falls flat. There are countless examples all around the NFL, including Pitt.. Talk about old, that's the oldest and worst and least knowledgable argument there is.

Obviously this has gone on for decades, which again is testament to the fanbase this team has. Once again, if you can't bring anything to the table other than condecending, rude one line babble then move on. There are a large number of fans that might actually agree with something you don't agree on, if not the thread dies.

Let's not forget that many fans on this forum and others come to vent or talk Steelers because they don't live in an area with many Steelers fans. This is their opportunity to talk about the team they love!!

Again...

Look back over the thread....the problem is not with opinion but with repetitive threads..and one trick pony logic.

Everyone has a right to an opinion...and everyone has a right to dislike a player....state your opinion, back it with facts...and move on.

THAT BEING SAID....there is ABSOLUTELY no use in rehashing the same old threads...and what is even more inane, is to rehash the same thread and STILL PROVIDE NO FACTS to back your opinion.

Thats why I brought up Townsend...I dont like him as a CB...never have...I stated my opinion about him and backed it up. You will not find 20 posts tiltled "Townsend Sucks".

Most of us here understand that it is more productive to talk about the draft and free-agency in regards to making this team better and UNPRODUCTIVE to just say.."._______ sucks" and devote a whole thread to it.

In a nutshell:

Opinion= Good
Repetitive Bashing= Bad

DACEB
12-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Another thought.... Does everyone agree that we could have won each of the three games we lost??

Who here wouldn't have loved to go 16-0 in the regular season and on to win the superbowl? That would've be sweet in light of what happened last year to a team we all hold near and dear to our arses.

Believe me, if your up to date, I've already stated that I've got my B&G shades on. This team has me believing they can go all the way, warts and all.

X-Terminator
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM

YES! Almost without a doubt! In order to win the Super Bowl, you have to be pretty close to perfect. And isn't that what every fan is after this year? Yeah, we're doing well this season, but let me put it this way: How many 11-3 teams can you think of that DIDN'T win the Super Bowl? And why didn't they win? Probably because they had vulnerabilities or didn't run things as well as they could've.

Almost all of the bitching I've seen this year has been directed at one facet or another of the offense (or the special teams if they screw up royally). Why? Because that's the one thing that could come back to bite us no matter where we finish in the regular season. Is it justified? Absolutely, as long as we continue to struggle. You hope for the best, but you still worry about anything they're not doing as well as they should, because that can cost you a championship just like that. Steelers fans, of all people, ought to be well aware of that.

I wouldn't have much of a problem with all the bitching if it didn't become repetitive. How many "Willie Sucks" or "Fire Arians" threads do we need? We get one every week it seems. And then you have those who come here and do nothing but complain, even when the team is winning. You've been in the Gameday threads, so you have to know the ones I'm talking about. That's where the "fed up with the bitching" sentiment comes from. It wouldn't kill you (general "you") to think and act positively from time to time, or simply enjoy a win for a day or two before going into bitch-and-moan mode.

I think the Steelers proved that you don't have to play close to perfect football in order to win the SB, because XL definitely was NOT their best game. They just made enough plays in order to win, and in the end, that is all that matters, and all that should matter.

Another thought.... Does everyone agree that we could have won each of the three games we lost??

Who here wouldn't have loved to go 16-0 in the regular season and on to win the superbowl? That would've be sweet in light of what happened last year to a team we all hold near and dear to our arses.

Believe me, if your up to date, I've already stated that I've got my B&G shades on. This team has me believing they can go all the way, warts and all.

Absolutely they could have, and in the case of the Giants and Colts games, SHOULD have. Those two in particular still leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I don't dwell on it. Time machines haven't been invented yet, so we can't go back and change things.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Agreed.

DACEB
12-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Most of us here understand that it is more productive to talk about the draft and free-agency in regards to making this team better and UNPRODUCTIVE to just say.."._______ sucks" and devote a whole thread to it.

In a nutshell:

Opinion= Good
Repetitive Bashing= Bad

And that is why I love this forum, because there is always someone there to talk me down from the ledge.

BTW, I obviously need to spend more time in the draft forum, instead of just the months after the season. I miss you LLT:drink:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 01:05 PM
And that is why I love this forum, because there is always someone there to talk me down from the ledge.

BTW, I obviously need to spend more time in the draft forum, instead of just the months after the season. I miss you LLT:drink:

Its just about that time!!!!:thumbsup:

steelreserve
12-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Circular logic.....The "Steelers Sucks" crowd say that you have to be close to perfect to win....but consistantely use Ben's winning Super Bowl performance as proof that he sucks.

Cant be both ways.

Personally, I think all the criticism of Ben is overblown. Yeah, he has bad games now and then, but by now it should be pretty obvious that overall, quarterback play is one of our strengths -- UNLIKE the way it was with certain QBs in the past. And when he does have problems, it's hard to chalk it up to any specific reason besides regular ups and downs.

But besides that, there are a few legitimate problems with the offense, and I don't think it's unreasonable to continue complaining about them as long as they continue to be problems.

The running game has been sub-par for most of the year -- there's no doubt about it, and you can pin it on one of a few specific explanations. Offensive line play has been a problem more than once as well, and again you have a few specific possibilities as to why. Same goes to some extent for the offensive schemes we use, although I think we would be fine if we were only quicker at making in-game adjustments.

Is that mindless, repetitive bitching? I don't think that's the case. If it happened in past week, it's automatically fair game if you ask me.

DACEB
12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Its just about that time!!!!:thumbsup:

5 more wins buddy!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
5 more wins buddy!!

I kinda think that even if we beat ourselves this weekend...we have homefield through the playoffs...The Titans are a farce...and will get beat early!!!

MAN I would love that 6th ring!!!!!!!!!

Hammer Of The GODS
12-17-2008, 01:59 PM
ANYONE who is knowingly COMPELLED to make inane and pointless conversation....either needs therapy or has a monthly visitor.

LLT you my friend are THEE source of great one liners in this forum!

Absolutely hilarious!:rofl:

Steelers & I
12-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Yeah, Steelers fans should probably start acting like the Flower Children of the 1960's and 1970's. I felt that the lyrics from the song "San Francisco" were most fitting here. Open the video and sing along fellow Steelers fans, Peace and love you all, lol.

SAN FRANCISCO (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)
(Written by John Philips)
Scott MacKenzie

If you're going to San Francicso
Be sure to wear
Some flowers in your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet
Some gentle people there

For those who come
To San Francisco
Summertime
Will be a love-in there
In the streets of San Francisco
Gentle people
With flowers in their hair

All across the nation
Such a strange vibration
People in motion
There's a whole generation
With a new explanation
People in motion
People in motion

For those who come
To San Francisco
Be sure to wear
Some flowers in your hair
If you come to San Francisco
Summertime
Will be a love-in there

Summertime
Will be a love-in there

Video link if you're intersested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DspcTcVslsI

Hapa
12-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Hah that was good man. But what do you mean about the whole Madden 09 thing?

steelreserve
12-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
You're gonna meet some gentle people there

For those who come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there
Gentle people with flowers in their hair

All across the nation such a strange vibration
People in motion
There's a whole generation with a new explanation
People in motion people in motion

Yeah, and see what happened? Their football team sucks!

X-Terminator
12-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, Steelers fans should probably start acting like the Flower Children of the 1960's and 1970's. I felt that the lyrics from the song "San Francisco" were most fitting here.

People in motion

You could maybe try disputing my post with something other than a feeble attempt at an insult.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, Steelers fans should probably start acting like the Flower Children of the 1960's and 1970's. I felt that the lyrics from the song "San Francisco" were most fitting here.

People in motion

Video link if you're intersested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DspcTcVslsI

I felt the words From Billy Madison were most fitting here:

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

(Quotes are fun.)

Steelers & I
12-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I felt the words From Billy Madison were most fitting here:

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

(Quotes are fun.)

Man, was my post all that bad? I'm sorry, I didn't realize it. :noidea: I'm going to pray for forgiveness now.

steelwall
12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
LLT you my friend are THEE source of great one liners in this forum!

Absolutely hilarious!:rofl:

I loved that line too :chuckle:

Seriously, the dead horse :mallet: gets old. I dont think I could have put it any better than LLT.

Dino 6 Rings
12-17-2008, 08:17 PM
5 more wins buddy!!

Now I love the sound of that!

43Hitman
12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
I have noticed that trend lately; "fans" who claim to love the Stillerz, yet hate everything about them.
It used to be a different attitude back in the day. They were the protectors and keepers of the Black 'n' Gold standard, our big brothers.
We were always thankful for the pride of the wins, but they weren't, strictly speaking, necessary. We were always happy with sacks, good solid hits, and domination on the ground. "win, lose, or tie; Stillerz 'til we die"...
Now it's like they're... I dunno... a sports franchise or somethin'. People expect perfection and superbowl rings every season.

Maybe it's just the geritol talkin', but I think today's Steeler fans are gettin' spoiled.

I know what you mean. while I'm not a card carrying member of the AARP just yet. I will always be faithful and look for the good in the team before I bitch about the bad.

HometownGal
12-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I have noticed that trend lately; "fans" who claim to love the Stillerz, yet hate everything about them.
It used to be a different attitude back in the day. They were the protectors and keepers of the Black 'n' Gold standard, our big brothers.
We were always thankful for the pride of the wins, but they weren't, strictly speaking, necessary. We were always happy with sacks, good solid hits, and domination on the ground. "win, lose, or tie; Stillerz 'til we die"...
Now it's like they're... I dunno... a sports franchise or somethin'. People expect perfection and superbowl rings every season.

Maybe it's just the geritol talkin', but I think today's Steeler fans are gettin' spoiled.

AMEN Brother! (Without the Geritol, of course) :chuckle::thumbsup:

Spoiled . . . . and damned unappreciative. The winning tradition that the Rooneys and many of the teams over the last 35+ years have established is unlike any other sports franchise in the world. :applaudit:

Being a Steelers fan is not a God given right - - - it's a PRIVILEGE. :tt03::tt02:

Steelers & I
12-19-2008, 01:11 PM

Spoiled . . . . and damned unappreciative. The winning tradition that the Rooneys and many of the teams over the last 35+ years have established is unlike any other sports franchise in the world. :applaudit:

Being a Steelers fan is not a God given right - - - it's a PRIVILEGE. :tt03::tt02:

Yeah sure :thumbsup:, during those 35 plus years Steelers fans have been right beside the organization, through good times and BAD. Not once would you ever see a Rooney step up to the mic and criticize Steelers fans by saying that "It's a privilege to be a Steelers fan, not a God given right" Give us all a break with that silly notion.

steelreserve
12-19-2008, 01:26 PM

There's a difference ... being a fan means rooting for the team through good and bad, that's all. It doesn't mean you have to be rah-rah and never complain about the problems.

It's not like the Ben/Parker/Arians/O-Line "haters" are actually rooting for a poor performance out of those people -- quite the opposite, in fact. They're just frustrated because they/the team could be doing better than that. And if anything, THAT is your god-given right as a fan.

The_WARDen
12-19-2008, 01:30 PM
GO STEELERS!!!!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Fire Haley
12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Go Steelers!

http://www.steelerettes.com/cheer62.jpg

fansince'76
12-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah sure :thumbsup:, during those 35 plus years Steelers fans have been right beside the organization, through good times and BAD. Not once would you ever see a Rooney step up to the mic and criticize Steelers fans by saying that "It's a privilege to be a Steelers fan, not a God given right" Give us all a break with that silly notion.

And I wish other so-called fans (namely the ones that join and only show up after a loss, and remain absolutely silent otherwise) would give the rest of us a break with the nonstop bitching, whining and complaining and throwing everyone and their brother associated with the franchise under the bus because it doesn't win every game 50-0, or God forbid, actually loses a game. Not saying you personally, but just in general - it's become tiresome, to say the least .

steelreserve
12-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Go Steelers!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/TheSteelersBlog/FatSteelerFan.jpg

43Hitman
12-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Go Steelers!

http://www.steelerettes.com/cheer62.jpg

Finally, we get some cheerleaders. My arms have been getting tired.
:cheer::cheer::cheer:

fansince'76
12-19-2008, 02:09 PM
There's a difference ... being a fan means rooting for the team through good and bad, that's all. It doesn't mean you have to be rah-rah and never complain about the problems.

And there's a difference between a fan that sticks by the team through good and bad and voices legitimate concerns and "fans" that feel that, because of their "fandom," they are somehow "entitled" to absolute perfection on a weekly and yearly basis, and when they don't get it, feel compelled to start the irrational and extremely annoying screeching for certain players to be benched/cut/traded and so-and-so to be fired. Nobody is "owed" anything by this team, but a very large group of people think they are. Sorry, but there is a very large contingent within this fanbase that ARE spoiled in such a way and it sometimes makes me wish that this team would tank for about 4-5 years just to clear the bandwagon out.

X-Terminator
12-19-2008, 02:23 PM

So you're saying that Steelers fans AREN'T spoiled and unappreciative? Because there are examples to the contrary all over the place. That is really the point she was making. I agree that it is a privilege to be a Steelers fan, a fan of a franchise that has given us a winning tradition for more than 3 decades, rather than a fan of a team like the Lions, Cards or Bungles. However, just because you are a fan, you DO NOT have the "right" to perfection or a SB every single season, and then call for benchings and firings when you don't get it. All you have to do is read the Gameday threads on this board to see that mentality on parade. If it all was just constructive criticism rather than over-the-top ranting and negativity, not much would be said about it.

Steelers & I
12-19-2008, 04:15 PM
So you're saying that Steelers fans AREN'T spoiled and unappreciative? Because there are examples to the contrary all over the place. That is really the point she was making. I agree that it is a privilege to be a Steelers fan, a fan of a franchise that has given us a winning tradition for more than 3 decades, rather than a fan of a team like the Lions, Cards or Bungles. However, just because you are a fan, you DO NOT have the "right" to perfection or a SB every single season, and then call for benchings and firings when you don't get it. All you have to do is read the Gameday threads on this board to see that mentality on parade. If it all was just constructive criticism rather than over-the-top ranting and negativity, not much would be said about it.

I've never called for perfection, I predicted an 11-5 record for the Steelers this season so I'm actually thrilled. Yeah, the 3 losses were tough BUT, I can accept them, losses are bound to happen. Even in losing, I especially like knowing that if the Steelers do happen to play the Colts or Giants again, they CAN BEAT THEM!

I only rant against Bruce Arians, it's JUST MY OPINION, but I believe that Arians play calling is going to cost the team in the playoffs. So yeah, I would like to see that issue resolved. As I've said before, I hate Arians but I root for him to come up with excellent game plans EVERY GAME DAY!

What I find a bit disturbing is that some members act as if you're not a true Steelers fan if you voice any complaints against a coach or player. That's just a ridiculous notion.

I agree, some of the rants are well, plain old stupid, i.e..The Roethlisberger bashers, the Wille Parker bashers, etc. That's their opinions, if certain members don't like those opinions then they should either avoid the thread or put the member on ignore, a simple solution if you ask me.

I guess all that I'm saying is that the Steelers are grown men playing professional football. Unlike Liitle League baseball, where bleachers full of parents praise and encourage the kid who strikes out during every at bat by applauding him as he runs back to the bench, NFL players and coaches expect and accept criticism when they aren't playing up to par.

Many fans who aren't in the local market, pay a few hundred dollars a season to view the Steeelers so actually, it's their God given right to complain a little when things don't appear to be up to their expected standards. Does that make them any less of a fan?? If you ask me the answer is no.

Steelers & I
12-19-2008, 04:50 PM
And I wish other so-called fans (namely the ones that join and only show up after a loss, and remain absolutely silent otherwise) would give the rest of us a break with the nonstop bitching, whining and complaining and throwing everyone and their brother associated with the franchise under the bus because it doesn't win every game 50-0, or God forbid, actually loses a game. Not saying you personally, but just in general - it's become tiresome, to say the least .

I don't know fan, the constant bashing doesn't really bother me. I don't agree with most of it but hell, I'm not going to let a members bashing of a player or coach irritate me to the point that they're renting space in my head. I'm sure that you have to read through most, if not all of the threads so you're probably not afforded the "disregard this thread luxury" that I am.

I would like to ask this, keep in mind that I'm not pointing you out as one of the individuals that I'm speaking of.

In regards to player/coach bashing. From what I've seen, there's a toss up between Arians and the offensive line as being "the most bashed." While many members have posted in defense of Arians, very few stand up to defend the offensive line.

What I've found is that many of the "most radical-offensive line bashers", are the VERY SAME members who are questioning the fanhood of the Arians, Roethlisberger, and Parker bashers. Wouldn't you call that a case of the pot calling the kettle black? Or is it just a widely accepted practice that forum members are permitted to bash the offensive line without having their fanhood questioned?

Just thought that I would point that out and ask that you please answer it for me if at all possible.

fansince'76
12-19-2008, 04:58 PM
What I've found is that many of the "most radical-offensive line bashers", are the VERY SAME members who are questioning the fanhood of the Arians, Roethlisberger, and Parker bashers. Wouldn't you call that a case of the pot calling the kettle black? Or is it just a widely accepted practice that forum members are permitted to bash the offensive line without having their fanhood questioned?

Just thought that I would point that out and ask that you please answer it for me if at all possible.

I honestly don't know - I've never really noticed that, but I have made a note of it and will start checking that from now on. I have been better this season about basically ignoring the people who are always negative, but I still find it tiresome at times - particularly with a team that's 11-3.

Fire Haley
12-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I have been better this season about basically ignoring the people who are always negative, but I still find it tiresome at times - particularly with a team that's 11-3.

I swear I haven't seen one "Fire Tomlin!" thread in about a month.:thumbsup:

Preacher
12-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I honestly don't know - I've never really noticed that, but I have made a note of it and will start checking that from now on. I have been better this season about basically ignoring the people who are always negative, but I still find it tiresome at times - particularly with a team that's 11-3.

FS..

I am one of them. I have consistently bashed this O line. However, I have not continued to make threads over and over about it. I have only brought it up when people start going after Ben, Willie, Arians, Etc. as it is my belief that all the problems are beginning at the line.

See S & I.

That is the difference. There is nothing wrong with sharing your concerns/complaints. The problem is the fact that the EXACT same thing is said week in and week out, like no one read it the first time.

Furthermore, the REAL problem I have here, is that people come into this forum thinking it is the place the vent frustration, saying things that they woudn't say in public without realizing that this IS the public. . . and claiming FACTS when it is all OPINIONS, then getting ticked when other people say that in THEIR opinion, they are wrong.

I have defended Arians. . . yet also questioned him. I have called for the heads of the O line, and also heaped praise on them. I have called for Willie to sit awhile and fully heal, yet defended his starting.

The long and short of it is, it is much easier to think we know a situation because we see it on TV. My argument isn't that the coaches are gods not to be questioned, but that the coaches are so much more intimately familiar with the team, the future plans, the scheming for the day, and every individual players strengths, weaknesses, and even their readiness for that week, that it is absolutely asanine to think that we on the sidelines know better.

X-Terminator
12-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I've never called for perfection, I predicted an 11-5 record for the Steelers this season so I'm actually thrilled. Yeah, the 3 losses were tough BUT, I can accept them, losses are bound to happen. Even in losing, I especially like knowing that if the Steelers do happen to play the Colts or Giants again, they CAN BEAT THEM!

I only rant against Bruce Arians, it's JUST MY OPINION, but I believe that Arians play calling is going to cost the team in the playoffs. So yeah, I would like to see that issue resolved. As I've said before, I hate Arians but I root for him to come up with excellent game plans EVERY GAME DAY!

What I find a bit disturbing is that some members act as if you're not a true Steelers fan if you voice any complaints against a coach or player. That's just a ridiculous notion.

I agree, some of the rants are well, plain old stupid, i.e..The Roethlisberger bashers, the Wille Parker bashers, etc. That's their opinions, if certain members don't like those opinions then they should either avoid the thread or put the member on ignore, a simple solution if you ask me.

I guess all that I'm saying is that the Steelers are grown men playing professional football. Unlike Liitle League baseball, where bleachers full of parents praise and encourage the kid who strikes out during every at bat by applauding him as he runs back to the bench, NFL players and coaches expect and accept criticism when they aren't playing up to par.

Many fans who aren't in the local market, pay a few hundred dollars a season to view the Steeelers so actually, it's their God given right to complain a little when things don't appear to be up to their expected standards. Does that make them any less of a fan?? If you ask me the answer is no.

Sure, as a fan you do have the right to be upset when the team doesn't play up to their capability. But there are way, way too many fans who do absolutely nothing but bash the team, call for people's heads and never have anything positive to say about them. We've even had members who thought Tomlin should be let go either after this season or soon because they didn't feel he could win the big games or wasn't a good game day coach or even because he stood by Arians. And this was earlier in the season, before a quarter of the season was even played! There are people who only show up here whenever the team isn't playing well during the game or after a loss, but if they play well/win, you never hear from them. We get more new members during and after a loss than any other time on this board, and that is a fact. So if you want to know where a lot of this sentiment by the anti-negativity posters, of which I am one, well, there you go. I have expectations of the team that I hope they live up to, and I get upset if they don't, but I don't go on and on and on and on about it, or let it get in my head. Some of us need to realize that football is a diversion - it is not supposed to dominate your life, for lack of a better term.

You should have been here last year then, when Sean Mahan was being blamed for all of the ills with the offensive line. It was identical to the way Parker gets blamed for most of the ills with the running game (to be fair, the OL gets more of it) and Bruce Arians being blamed for all of the ills with the entire offense this season. Or all of the flak Ben takes because he's not Brett Favre or Peyton Manning. The point is, no one person is responsible for all of the problems on the offense, the OL, whatever - not in a team game like football. I'm not a big fan of Arians, but I and many others feel he takes way too much blame from the fans.

Steelers & I
12-19-2008, 05:58 PM
FS..

I am one of them. I have consistently bashed this O line. However, I have not continued to make threads over and over about it. I have only brought it up when people start going after Ben, Willie, Arians, Etc. as it is my belief that all the problems are beginning at the line.

See S & I.

That is the difference. There is nothing wrong with sharing your concerns/complaints. The problem is the fact that the EXACT same thing is said week in and week out, like no one read it the first time.

Furthermore, the REAL problem I have here, is that people come into this forum thinking it is the place the vent frustration, saying things that they woudn't say in public without realizing that this IS the public. . . and claiming FACTS when it is all OPINIONS, then getting ticked when other people say that in THEIR opinion, they are wrong.

I have defended Arians. . . yet also questioned him. I have called for the heads of the O line, and also heaped praise on them. I have called for Willie to sit awhile and fully heal, yet defended his starting.

The long and short of it is, it is much easier to think we know a situation because we see it on TV. My argument isn't that the coaches are gods not to be questioned, but that the coaches are so much more intimately familiar with the team, the future plans, the scheming for the day, and every individual players strengths, weaknesses, and even their readiness for that week, that it is absolutely asanine to think that we on the sidelines know better.

Thanks for stepping up Preacher but to be completely honest with you, I wasn't speaking of you in my post. I was thinking more about the members who have consistently called the offensive line members "turnstiles".

While they expect their bashing of the Steelers offensive line unit to be accepted as "okey dokey", they in turn will question the fanhood of other members who have been critical of this player/coach or that player/coach.

That's hypocrisy in my opinion.

Steelers & I
12-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Sure, as a fan you do have the right to be upset when the team doesn't play up to their capability. But there are way, way too many fans who do absolutely nothing but bash the team, call for people's heads and never have anything positive to say about them. We've even had members who thought Tomlin should be let go either after this season or soon because they didn't feel he could win the big games or wasn't a good game day coach or even because he stood by Arians. And this was earlier in the season, before a quarter of the season was even played! There are people who only show up here whenever the team isn't playing well during the game or after a loss, but if they play well/win, you never hear from them. We get more new members during and after a loss than any other time on this board, and that is a fact. So if you want to know where a lot of this sentiment by the anti-negativity posters, of which I am one, well, there you go. I have expectations of the team that I hope they live up to, and I get upset if they don't, but I don't go on and on and on and on about it, or let it get in my head. Some of us need to realize that football is a diversion - it is not supposed to dominate your life, for lack of a better term.

You should have been here last year then, when Sean Mahan was being blamed for all of the ills with the offensive line. It was identical to the way Parker gets blamed for most of the ills with the running game (to be fair, the OL gets more of it) and Bruce Arians being blamed for all of the ills with the entire offense this season. Or all of the flak Ben takes because he's not Brett Favre or Peyton Manning. The point is, no one person is responsible for all of the problems on the offense, the OL, whatever - not in a team game like football. I'm not a big fan of Arians, but I and many others feel he takes way too much blame from the fans.

Yeah I feel you, I can't stand Arians but I am getting sick of reading and posting about him. So I agree, I only stepped in to give my 2 cents after seeing that members fanhoods were being questioned, that's all.

Thanks for the reply.

NYC SteelersFan
12-20-2008, 03:30 AM
After much deliberation and after carefully scanning the bleacher section of Madden NFL 09, I have come to the inevitible conclusion that our beloved Steelers would be better off without us fans.

Dont get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for those who bleed the black and gold....who stoicly bare the arctic conditions of Pittsburgh winters...and who plan their weddings and strangley enough, their funerals around Steeler games.

What about those who, while not actually "game watchers" take time out of their busy schedule to watch the ESPN highlights? What about those who wisely avoid the criticisms of a well thought-out opinion and instead sagely adopt the sports radio talking heads viewpoint as their own? And let us not forget those fans who simply play devils-advocate to all things Steelers. Those who think themselves above the mob-mentality of the rest of us "kool-aid drinkers". Who think that by poo-pooing the 11-3 Steelers, they have reached sports Nirvana through enlightenment.

Yep. Fire all us.

All the Steelers have given us is an enjoyable product. A team that has had its champions, its warriors, and yes even its characters bleed upon a field of green for our entire lifetimes. A team that for the last 30 + years has rewarded us fans with memorable games, championships, and Super bowls.

Why should such a team think that they deserve more than criticism about its owners being cheap. What makes them think that just because their current QB has won more games in his first five years than ANY QB IN HISTORY did in their first five, we should give him the benefit of a doubt if he has a bad game. I mean, please, Sports radio said this morning that Carson is better than Ben...what more proof do you need?

They should let us all go...if they dont understand that the all important and unrefutable statistics show that 9 out of 7 Steelers fans believe 3 important things:

So.... since we are all so underappreciated and ignored....since the team refuses to listen to us when we demand they cut our starters and begin from scratch...since they think that an 11-3 team is acceptable when we all KNOW better.

Fire the fans.

Dr. Spencer Wells

Wait, what about all those fans who booed Kordell Stewart because he was black. I hope they are the first to be fired.

ShutDown24
12-20-2008, 03:58 AM
2) I didnt even have you in mind when I wrote the post....sorry.

Biggest burn I've seen on these boards in a loooong time :chuckle:

Nice post LLT.

NYC SteelersFan
12-20-2008, 04:28 AM
FS..

See S & I.

In all honesty, if that opinion was posted as a suggestion under forum rules or guidelines, you would see a dramatic difference. Either the "complainers" wouldn't complain or they just would'nt join in the first place. But being that it is not suggested nor asked of members, it is a bit confusing and rude to insult, offend, condescend, snip at or put down members who do something that is in their right as a member of this forum. And this is not directed at you Preacher, you don't respond in a negative manner or at the very least, no where near as negative as a certain group of members do. I can politely argue with you. Whereas other members are quick to insult hoping to score brownie points with the forum heirarchy or to impress their "non-negative" forum buddies with the coolest quip of the day. It's extremely childish.

I mean I went as far as telling a member I would enjoy defecating in his mouth. I meant it, and I still feel the same way. The number of disgustingly rude, condescending, insulting and attempted put-down posts that the member posted towards me was enough to get him killed had he done that to some stranger in a bar. Another example of why this place is not the same thing as the public Preacher.

You want the ultimate example of why this isn't the public? All the forum members are hanging out inside a bar, I walk in and yell, "Willie Parker sucks!" Now if everyone were to look at me briefly with a look that says, "moron" and then go back to doing whatever it was they were doing before I came in, well then I'm not going to say it again. Now after that point, I might not come back or if I do come back, I know not to yell out negative comments because NO ONE wants to hear them. But if I yell, "Willie Parker sucks!" and 4 or 5 people yell back, "No he doesn't! He's a hall of famer!", "You're an idiot, Parker carries this team on his back", "Parker is the best running back the Steelers have ever had!", "Parker doesn't suck! You do a$$hole!", well now we have an arguement/fight on our hands. The point is Preacher, if those who didn't want to hear all "the bitching and complaining" didn't go into the thread to begin with or at least not post a reply, the thread would die as quickly as the members would allow it to. Apparently they feel the need to argue/fight/debate about the matter regardless of how much it "annoys" them. I mean don't even go into the thread, it's not as if the negative threads are disguised with thread titles such as, "I love Parker", and then you enter the thread and read, "HA HA tricked you, I hate Parker that injured gimp!" What's that age old saying? Who is the bigger fool, the fool? Or the fool who follows? If the "fools/negative thread starters" have no one to argue/debate/fight with, well then they'll eventually stop starting such threads.

And as another member pointed out, I personally bring my gripes here because all my friends are Giants fans, I love the Steelers, but when I feel like discussing why Parker has been playing miserable or the play-calling seems to be horrific, I can't discuss it with my friends, they'll just say the entire team sucks and that the Giants are the best. I thought I could discuss the Steelers here, I didn't know certain discussions were frowned upon while others were welcomed. And frowned upon is putting it very, very lightly.

Thanks for stepping up Preacher but to be completely honest with you, I wasn't speaking of you in my post. I was thinking more about the members who have consistently called the offensive line members "turnstiles".

While they expect their bashing of the Steelers offensive line unit to be accepted as "okey dokey", they in turn will question the fanhood of other members who have been critical of this player/coach or that player/coach.

That's hypocrisy in my opinion.

To its utmost extent!

I've heard those same "I hate negative posts" members post how this is the WORST o-line in the history of the Steelers franchise and have even heard the WORST in the history of the NFL. Offensive linemen are the most faceless, unpopular, statless, ugliest, creditless position in all of sports. Relief pitchers get more respect and "groupies" than o-linemen do. So it's just fine and dandy to $hit on them, just not the other groupie loving positons.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Wait, what about all those fans who booed Kordell Stewart because he was black. I hope they are the first to be fired.

Not sure how this is relevant to a post about those who are persistantly repetitive in their hate posts.
:hunch:

Did someone make a racial reference to those who oppose such posts...or to those who make them?

LVSteelersfan
12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I must admit I have been on the "I hate Arians" group. But I don't beat it to death. Right now I am so thrilled that we are 11-3 after all the trials and tribulations this year. This team is something special being able to constantly come from behind despite playing the best teams the league has to offer. Willie does not suck. Ben is the best QB ever. Arians is doing an ok job once in awhile (hard for me to say that one) THIS TEAM IS GREAT. GO STEELERS.

fansince'76
12-20-2008, 10:59 AM
it's not as if the negative threads are disguised with thread titles such as, "I love Parker", and then you enter the thread and read, "HA HA tricked you, I hate Parker that injured gimp!"
Funniest thing I've read all morning :applaudit:

Yep, I laughed out loud at that one, myself. :toofunny:

stillers4me
12-20-2008, 11:28 AM
I must admit I have been on the "I hate Arians" group. But I don't beat it to death. Right now I am so thrilled that we are 11-3 after all the trials and tribulations this year. This team is something special being able to constantly come from behind despite playing the best teams the league has to offer. Willie does not suck. Ben is the best QB ever. Arians is doing an ok job once in awhile (hard for me to say that one) THIS TEAM IS GREAT. GO STEELERS.

:drink:

steelwall
12-20-2008, 11:44 AM
In all honesty, if that opinion was posted as a suggestion under forum rules or guidelines, you would see a dramatic difference. Either the "complainers" wouldn't complain or they just would'nt join in the first place. But being that it is not suggested nor asked of members, it is a bit confusing and rude to insult, offend, condescend, snip at or put down members who do something that is in their right as a member of this forum. And this is not directed at you Preacher, you don't respond in a negative manner or at the very least, no where near as negative as a certain group of members do. I can politely argue with you. Whereas other members are quick to insult hoping to score brownie points with the forum heirarchy or to impress their "non-negative" forum buddies with the coolest quip of the day. It's extremely childish.

I mean I went as far as telling a member I would enjoy defecating in his mouth. I meant it, and I still feel the same way. The number of disgustingly rude, condescending, insulting and attempted put-down posts that the member posted towards me was enough to get him killed had he done that to some stranger in a bar. Another example of why this place is not the same thing as the public Preacher.

You want the ultimate example of why this isn't the public? All the forum members are hanging out inside a bar, I walk in and yell, "Willie Parker sucks!" Now if everyone were to look at me briefly with a look that says, "moron" and then go back to doing whatever it was they were doing before I came in, well then I'm not going to say it again. Now after that point, I might not come back or if I do come back, I know not to yell out negative comments because NO ONE wants to hear them. But if I yell, "Willie Parker sucks!" and 4 or 5 people yell back, "No he doesn't! He's a hall of famer!", "You're an idiot, Parker carries this team on his back", "Parker is the best running back the Steelers have ever had!", "Parker doesn't suck! You do a$$hole!", well now we have an arguement/fight on our hands. The point is Preacher, if those who didn't want to hear all "the bitching and complaining" didn't go into the thread to begin with or at least not post a reply, the thread would die as quickly as the members would allow it to. Apparently they feel the need to argue/fight/debate about the matter regardless of how much it "annoys" them. I mean don't even go into the thread, it's not as if the negative threads are disguised with thread titles such as, "I love Parker", and then you enter the thread and read, "HA HA tricked you, I hate Parker that injured gimp!" What's that age old saying? Who is the bigger fool, the fool? Or the fool who follows? If the "fools/negative thread starters" have no one to argue/debate/fight with, well then they'll eventually stop starting such threads.

And as another member pointed out, I personally bring my gripes here because all my friends are Giants fans, I love the Steelers, but when I feel like discussing why Parker has been playing miserable or the play-calling seems to be horrific, I can't discuss it with my friends, they'll just say the entire team sucks and that the Giants are the best. I thought I could discuss the Steelers here, I didn't know certain discussions were frowned upon while others were welcomed. And frowned upon is putting it very, very lightly.

To its utmost extent!

I've heard those same "I hate negative posts" members post how this is the WORST o-line in the history of the Steelers franchise and have even heard the WORST in the history of the NFL. Offensive linemen are the most faceless, unpopular, statless, ugliest, creditless position in all of sports. Relief pitchers get more respect and "groupies" than o-linemen do. So it's just fine and dandy to $hit on them, just not the other groupie loving positons.

Come on man, there is a time and place for criticism. I think what many people are saying is that the Ben, Willie, O-line, bashing which has been happening every day (even after a win) is not only pointless, by constantly doing it, it gets anoying.

Noone here can do anything about any of these issues. I think the fans on the otherside of the fence realize right now this is our team. It's not going to change (at least before the off season.

The off season is time for a indepth look at our team, and perhaps make personel improvements. Not now, when you are 11-3, locked the AFC North, and have a real chance of haveing the best record. Sure we don't light up the score board every week, but as long as you win, you dont have to.

I'd love to have an offense that will score a TD every possession, but we have constant threads abot fire this guy, or that guy is not realistic at this point.

There's other things to think about is salary cap issues, contracts, possible fines on our cap, these are things that will have an effect on us in the future. If we start trading draft picks, or taking cap hits, our future is not so bright

IMO as "horrible" as our offense is Ben is a great QB, he is tough, mobil, and usualy his throws are on the money, even if he's running. He's hard to take down, and has a rocket for an arm. I bet theres at least 15 teams that would sell there souls to have him on their roster.

As for Wille it's no secret he's hurt. Wille is a player, he wants to play, thats just him..but IMO he needs to get well. He's super fast when healthy, and one of the best I've ever seen at speeding his was outside, and gaining yards with sheer speed.

However I will say one grip, I want Krieder back...:helmet:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Ode to the "Fire Everyone" crowd

Fire the Steelers, fire the team
Fire the owners, ...this is my dream.
Fire the coaches, and fire the staff
If they all got fired, I'd cheer and I'd laugh

Fire the chain gang I hate what they do.
The field really sucks, fire all the grounds crew
Fire the Vendors, .that would be fine.
Fire the ticket takers, I hate waiting in line.

Fire the guy who paints lines on the field
Fire security before they get someone killed.
Fire the Fans, bitching is all that they do.
Hey! If you fire me..............I'll fire you!

Elizabeth Barrett Lambert.

stillers4me
12-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Elizabeth Barrett Lambert. :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Elizabeth Barrett Lambert. :chuckle:

You're not familiar with Elizabeth Barrett Lambert? She's the Poet Laureate of SF! :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-20-2008, 12:59 PM
You're not familiar with Elizabeth Barrett Lambert? She's the Poet Laureate of SF! :chuckle:

Elizabeth Barrett Lambert....
Dr. Stephen Wells...
Poopie Pie Master....

it gets VERy crowded in my head sometimes.
:screwy:

revefsreleets
12-20-2008, 04:21 PM

Just wanted to highlight this, and call it out for it's arrogance, ignorance, hypocrisy, idiocy and callowness.

I "busted you down" because you were an arrogant newbie, and not a very enlightened or particularly original one. We've had sadsacks spewing different versions of the same garbage as you for years, but for some reason you felt you were special or better than all the other idiots who came before because, well, I don't really know (my guess is you are just a retread of a formerly banned asshat with a grudge and you brought a dictionary along this time) why. Just because, I guess.

Anyway, you deserved it. You're arrogant. You don't know as much about football as you think, and you think you know a buttload. You're a dime-a-dozen poster with a little better vocabulary and a lot more attitude. You are, in a word, a douche.

Anyway, back to your original post up there. I tossed a well-aimed and perfectly justified frag grenade which CLEARLY hit its mark. As with most insecure know-it-alls you fired back with a nuke. It's your MO. You're all the same. You can't attack my arguments so you attack me. You play victim. You scream loudly at the slightest offense, but spew your garbage loud and long. You are the quintessential hypocrite. You're nothing....

NYC SteelersFan
12-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Just wanted to highlight this, and call it out for it's arrogance, ignorance, hypocrisy, idiocy and callowness.

I "busted you down" because you were an arrogant newbie, and not a very enlightened or particularly original one. We've had sadsacks spewing different versions of the same garbage as you for years, but for some reason you felt you were special or better than all the other idiots who came before because, well, I don't really know (my guess is you are just a retread of a formerly banned asshat with a grudge and you brought a dictionary along this time) why. Just because, I guess.

Anyway, you deserved it. You're arrogant. You don't know as much about football as you think, and you think you know a buttload. You're a dime-a-dozen poster with a little better vocabulary and a lot more attitude. You are, in a word, a douche.

Anyway, back to your original post up there. I tossed a well-aimed and perfectly justified frag grenade which CLEARLY hit its mark. As with most insecure know-it-alls you fired back with a nuke. It's your MO. You're all the same. You can't attack my arguments so you attack me. You play victim. You scream loudly at the slightest offense, but spew your garbage loud and long. You are the quintessential hypocrite. You're nothing....

Whereas other members are quick to insult hoping to score brownie points with the forum heirarchy or to impress their "non-negative" forum buddies with the coolest quip of the day. It's extremely childish.

This is definitely the coolest paragraph worth of insulting quips of the week.

I mean I went as far as telling a member I would enjoy defecating in his mouth. I meant it, and I still feel the same way. The number of disgustingly rude, condescending, insulting and attempted put-down posts that the member posted towards me was enough to get him killed had he done that to some stranger in a bar.

Keep running your mouth on an internet forum. It's the only place you'll ever get away with it.

43Hitman
12-20-2008, 04:48 PM
So it's okay for you to rehash your very obtrusive statements, and then have the audacity to say he would never get away with it in public. Pot meet Kettle. Grow the hell up. Seriously, your song and dance is really old. No one has gone as far as you went by saying that. So as far as I am concerned you reap what you sow. And I personally will never respect what you post because of that.

NYC SteelersFan
12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
So it's okay for you to rehash your very obtrusive statements, and then have the audacity to say he would never get away with it in public. Pot meet Kettle. Grow the hell up. Seriously, your song and dance is really old. No one has gone as far as you went by saying that. So as far as I am concerned you reap what you sow. And I personally will never respect what you post because of that.

Your respect is absolutely meaningless to me, just make sure to stop sending appologies to my private messages. And stop pathetically following me around the forum to post a reply to whatever I say, go post something original on your own. Or just follow that guy above you around and post, "revefsreleets is the best!" to whatever he says.

43Hitman
12-20-2008, 05:06 PM

Quoted for truth. And as I said before NYC, I regret sending you a private apology, because your the type that will never forgive and forget. You would rather try and use my kindness against me. So be it. Again I will say Pot meet Kettle. :coffee:

NYC SteelersFan
12-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Quoted for truth. And as I said before NYC, I regret sending you a private apology, because your the type that will never forgive and forget. You would rather try and use my kindness against me. So be it. Again I will say Pot meet Kettle. :coffee:

I accepted your sweet private apolgy, you chose to start insulting me again because your little forum "clic" told you it wouldn't be cool if you were friendly to me. Run along now, you've scored enough brownie points with the forum hierarchy for one day, they'll reward you soon enough.

43Hitman
12-20-2008, 06:48 PM
:countdown

SteelCityKing
12-20-2008, 07:11 PM
can't we all just get along? geez guys! haha!

steelreserve
12-20-2008, 08:35 PM

You know, I was going to say something about that, but then I had other things to do for a while ... I don't know how many times I've heard someone say "quit complaining about Parker, you hater" ... and then the next game, they turn right around and start bitching about the offensive line. Come on, people.

X-Terminator
12-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I accepted your sweet private apolgy, you chose to start insulting me again because your little forum "clic" told you it wouldn't be cool if you were friendly to me. Run along now, you've scored enough brownie points with the forum hierarchy for one day, they'll reward you soon enough.

You know, we get this a lot.

NYC, this isn't high school. It's a message board. There is no "forum clique." There never has been, and there never will be. So give the paranoia a rest.

can't we all just get along? geez guys! haha!

I swear, this has to be the only message board in the world where your favorite team can be 11-3, and the members are still fighting like cats and dogs. Happiness? What's that? Some people are only happy when they're miserable, it seems.

steelreserve
12-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I swear, this has to be the only message board in the world where your favorite team can be 11-3, and the members are still fighting like cats and dogs. Happiness? What's that? Some people are only happy when they're miserable, it seems.

Not really. Back when the 49ers were in the middle of winning their five Super Bowls, people around here would bitch about Joe Montana all the time and say they should replace him with Steve Young. Sometimes they'd complain that the offense was too one-dimensional, and you know what? Sometimes it was. In 1990, they'd just won the Super Bowl, and then the next season they lost Roger Craig, and the fans bitched that they'd never go anywhere until they had a top-notch running back. Guess what? They struggled with a series of one-dimensional guys and didn't get back to the Super Bowl for another five years, when they drafted a more complete back in Ricky Watters. It's not like there was no point to the bitching, and I'll tell you that to this day.

Here's the reality: Yeah, I'm happy that the Steelers are 11-3 -- but on the other hand, so what? There are four teams in the league with a record that good or better, and at least three of them are going home with nothing this year. It happens all the time.

Some people are basically implying that I should be walking around on top of the world as if we already have the Super Bowl wrapped up. Have they forgotten how hard it is to win a football game? I don't care if we've playing like the '85 Bears ... in a couple weeks, we're really not more than a fumbled snap or a blocked field goal away from having the season end -- to say nothing of how vulnerable we'll be if the offense in general struggles to grind out 10 points a game.

Can we win that way? Yes. Is it foolproof? Hell no. There's no doubt in my mind that WIllie Parker is going to run for 100 yards tomorrow as we pick the Titans' defense apart. But I'm also pretty certain that at some point in the playoffs, we're going to have 50 yards rushing through 3-1/2 quarters and be facing a key third-and-one. So yeah, I'll be happy about where we are, but if we've got problems, you've got to be realistic about them. That's really all any of the "haters" are doing.

fansince'76
12-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Not really. Back when the 49ers were in the middle of winning their five Super Bowls, people around here would bitch about Joe Montana all the time and say they should replace him with Steve Young. Sometimes they'd complain that the offense was too one-dimensional, and you know what? Sometimes it was. In 1990, they'd just won the Super Bowl, and then the next season they lost Roger Craig, and the fans bitched that they'd never go anywhere until they had a top-notch running back. Guess what? They struggled with a series of one-dimensional guys and didn't get back to the Super Bowl for another five years, when they drafted a more complete back in Ricky Watters. It's not like there was no point to the bitching, and I'll tell you that to this day.

Struggled? Losing two NFCCGs to a great Cowboys team and barely losing another in a bid for a SB 3-peat to the Giants in the early '90s isn't exactly struggling in my book. If you expect nothing less than a SB victory without fail every year, then yeah, you're going to be miserable most of the time.

ShutDown24
12-20-2008, 11:45 PM

Here's the reality: Yeah, I'm happy that the Steelers are 11-3 -- but on the other hand, so what? There are four teams in the league with a record that good or better, and at least three of them are going home with nothing this year. It happens all the time.

Some people are basically implying that I should be walking around on top of the world as if we already have the Super Bowl wrapped up. Have they forgotten how hard it is to win a football game? I don't care if we've playing like the '85 Bears ... in a couple weeks, we're really not more than a fumbled snap or a blocked field goal away from having the season end -- to say nothing of how vulnerable we'll be if the offense in general struggles to grind out 10 points a game.

Can we win that way? Yes. Is it foolproof? Hell no. There's no doubt in my mind that WIllie Parker is going to run for 100 yards tomorrow as we pick the Titans' defense apart. But I'm also pretty certain that at some point in the playoffs, we're going to have 50 yards rushing through 3-1/2 quarters and be facing a key third-and-one. So yeah, I'll be happy about where we are, but if we've got problems, you've got to be realistic about them. That's really all any of the "haters" are doing.

God help you if you actually followed a losing team... The Steelers are the most successful team in NFL history. They are in it year after year after year. There is being "realistic" about things and then there is constant, un-relentless, classless and careless bitching. What you do on these boards most definitely falls under the description of the latter.

X-Terminator
12-21-2008, 12:01 AM

That's not really what I was saying, but OK. I was talking about people in general, not the "haters vs. homers" argument, which quite frankly I'm getting tired of. Besides, I can't really say anything about other people bitching after the full-scale rant I went on about the Pens game tonight, else I'd look like a hypocrite.

tony hipchest
12-21-2008, 12:10 AM
in all fairness to the eagles, they drafted r. waters and frisco bought him.

case in point why mb armchair qb's and coach/gm/owner questioners shouldnt be taken too seriously.

they bought a player (quite a few actually), won a ring, and havent done shit since.

all these people around here love to bitch in the name of "whats best for the team, and never even mention how cap implications and actual business mgmt may come into play.

yeah, we need an o-line. but do we purchase it at the expense of the defense we all love and brag about?

steelreserve
12-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Struggled? Losing two NFCCGs to a great Cowboys team and barely losing another in a bid for a SB 3-peat to the Giants in the early '90s isn't exactly struggling in my book. If you expect nothing less than a SB victory without fail every year, then yeah, you're going to be miserable most of the time.

Actually, the year after Craig left, they missed the playoffs while using the quick-but-soft Dexter Carter at running back.

I guess I was a little out of sequence with the other struggling, but what happened is the same idea: They contended for the Super Bowl three more years with Watters, then lost him to the Seahawks. The next year, some quick-but-soft throwaway back named Derek Loville took over and did OK, but they got manhandled in the first round of the playoffs and everyone could see it coming. The next year, they alternated between Loville and the equally mediocre Terry Kirby. They also got bounced early in the playoffs and everyone could see it coming.

The next year, they traded for Garrison Hearst and went to the conference championship, then narrowly missed making it the next year (the second-round playoff game, which they lost by two points, was where Hearst suffered the injury that basically ruined his career). They did OK for the next couple of seasons with the less-effective Hearst and Kevan Barlow, but by then their defense was so full of holes that they weren't a serious threat anymore --and yes, at that point, the bitching had switched to the defense. Then the next year, Jerry Rice tore his ACL in the same game that Steve Young suffered a career-ending concussion, and it was basically all over.

So I guess most of the bitching came in the 1990s, but even then they were still what you would call a successful team in terms of wins and losses and playoff appearances. But the point is, there were certain years when you could see a problem, and even though they'd finish with an 11-5 record or a 12-4 record, you knew ahead of time that they weren't going to the Super Bowl. So yes, the "haters" can have legitimate gripes even when their team is winning the majority of its games. The other point is that the fans aren't always as stupid as you give them credit for, and sometimes they're exactly right.

I don't know exactly where this team falls. It's a thin line. But I sure hope they fall on the Super-Bowl-winning side of it. I think we've improved our chances over where they were the last couple of seasons, but was it enough? You still worry.

fansince'76
12-21-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't know exactly where this team falls. It's a thin line. But I sure hope they fall on the Super-Bowl-winning side of it. I think we've improved our chances over where they were the last couple of seasons, but was it enough? You still worry.

Yeah, but in this era, no team will ever be flawless. I like to enjoy the ride every year and I hope the team wins a SB, but I never expect it. Last time I expected a SB win out of this team was in 1979.

steelreserve
12-21-2008, 12:28 AM
God help you if you actually followed a losing team... The Steelers are the most successful team in NFL history. They are in it year after year after year. There is being "realistic" about things and then there is constant, un-relentless, classless and careless bitching. What you do on these boards most definitely falls under the description of the latter.

I do follow plenty of losing teams ... the modern-day 49ers, the Oakland A's, hell, I've been a Golden State Warriors fan since the late 1980s. While the games themselves definitely aren't as much fun to watch during those stretches, bad moves by the front office and coaches are actually a lot easier to take, because any one bad move doesn't have much overall impact on the team's success. One bad season blends into another, sometimes you can't even remember which particular unremarkable seasons that a particular unremarkable player was on the team, or which unremarkable player they traded him for. It's a lot more frustrating when you can see a specific thing that is holding you back or might be holding you back from a championship.

As far as the Steelers go, I generally bitch about only Parker on a sustained basis. He's the only part of the team that I really see as a persistent problem that won't change without making a significant switch. Yeah, I'll sometimes gripe about game-to-game poor performances elsewhere, but you don't see me saying the team sucks. So basically, I guess I'll have to just ignore what you said.

tony hipchest
12-21-2008, 12:30 AM
As far as the Steelers go, I generally bitch about only Parker on a sustained basis. He's the only part of the team that I really see as a persistent problem that won't change without making a significant switch. .

i believe duce staley woulda been entering the final year of his contract had he not been fired....

steelreserve
12-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Yeah, but in this era, no team will ever be flawless. I like to enjoy the ride every year and I hope the team wins a SB, but I never expect it. Last time I expected a SB win out of this team was in 1979.

Yeah, it's been that way since the last real "dynasty" teams died out in the late 1990s. It's only possible to be 90% perfect in the first place anymore, but you can definitely still tell when you're in the hunt versus when you're not.

Still, I think we've definitely taken a couple steps forward compared to last season and the season before. I guess with high expectations comes high pressure, is all.

steelreserve
12-21-2008, 12:35 AM
i believe duce staley woulda been entering the final year of his contract had he not been fired....

Well, if he'd only done what he was supposed to, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation at all. As it is, at least I'm glad they eventually figured out they got it wrong and cut their losses. I still had hopes for the guy up until it started just getting ridiculous.

HometownGal
12-21-2008, 06:21 AM
That's not really what I was saying, but OK. I was talking about people in general, not the "haters vs. homers" argument, which quite frankly I'm getting tired of. Besides, I can't really say anything about other people bitching after the full-scale rant I went on about the Pens game tonight, else I'd look like a hypocrite.

:thumbsup::applaudit:

Or I'd call you a FWF Pens fan again. :chuckle:

People - seriously - stop with the personal attacks here. Attack the POST not the POSTER and leave the personal shit out of it, please?

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-21-2009, 10:58 AM

Yep. Fire all us.

Fire the fans.

Dr. Spencer Wells

This post was written to the "boo-birds" just before we won our 6th Lombardi...just thought we needed a reminder to reign in the negativity. Lets just wait and see what happens and enjoy the season :thumbsup:

Ode to the "Fire Everyone" crowd

Fire the Steelers, fire the team
Fire the owners, ...this is my dream.
Fire the coaches, and fire the staff
If they all got fired, I'd cheer and I'd laugh

Fire the chain gang I hate what they do.
The field really sucks, fire all the grounds crew
Fire the Vendors, .that would be fine.
Fire the ticket takers, I hate waiting in line.

Fire the guy who paints lines on the field
Fire security before someone gets killed.
Fire the Fans, bitching is all that they do.
Hey! If you fire me..............I'll fire you!

-Elizabeth Barrett Lambert

steelreserve
09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
This post was written to the "boo-birds" just before we won our 6th Lombardi...just thought we needed a reminder to reign in the negativity. Lets just wait and see what happens and enjoy the season :thumbsup:

I actually thought people had been handling the loss pretty well for the most part. Seems like there's less bitching and more optimism than there was after the WIN last week against Tennessee.

'course, that's understandable, since this time it didn't look like there was anything horribly wrong with our team. We just didn't get the breaks where we needed them.

steelpride12
09-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Ive learned to just lean back and kinda fade away the first few days after a loss. Too many trolls on here saying the team is doomed and will miss the playoffs after every loss.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I actually thought people had been handling the loss pretty well for the most part. Seems like there's less bitching and more optimism than there was after the WIN last week against Tennessee.

'course, that's understandable, since this time it didn't look like there was anything horribly wrong with our team. We just didn't get the breaks where we needed them.

Exactly...If we would have won...the topic of the day would have been guarded optimism about the increased effectiveness of the running game.

Texasteel
09-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Ive learned to just lean back and kinda fade away the first few days after a loss. Too many trolls on here saying the team is doomed and will miss the playoffs after every loss.

As long as we're Steeler fan we will have to deal with trolls. They know they don't get that many shots at us.

mmalone
09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
:thumbsup::applaudit:

Or I'd call you a FWF Pens fan again. :chuckle:

People - seriously - stop with the personal attacks here. Attack the POST not the POSTER and leave the personal shit out of it, please?

Last Year.... Steelers 10 Browns 6

Steelers 11 Chargers 10

Eagles ,, well they won...

its like last year all over... We won the Super Bowl People.... Hang in there....

:popcorn:
Boy this popcorn is good....

stb_steeler
09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
You can't Fire me...

I have Fan Tenure

LoL....Me either, i have a Lifetime Steeler pass:tt: