PDA

View Full Version : Titans seem unlikely to get No. 1 seed now

mesaSteeler
12-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Titans seem unlikely to get No. 1 seed now
http://entertainment.wagerweb.com/sports/football/titans-seem-unlikely-to-get-no-1-seed-now-4726.html

The AFC game of the year is this week in Nashville, when the Tennessee Titans host the Pittsburgh Steelers with the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs at stake.

That game is a pick’em currently on WagerWeb.com, and the Steelers might even be road favorites by Sunday because the Titans won’t have their two best defensive players in Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Haynesworth, probably the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year who has 8.5 sacks, suffered an MCL sprain of his left knee when his leg was pinned and rolled on late in Sunday’s loss in Houston. Vanden Bosch, the team’s best pass-rusher, didn’t play Sunday and missed three games and the bulk of two others earlier this season with a groin injury. He’s having surgery to repair muscle that coach Jeff Fisher said was injured two weeks ago week against the Browns.

Haynesworth is the key to Tennessee’s No. 9 rush defense (that sack total is almost gravy), while Vanden Bosch has 4.5 sacks after leading the team with 12.5 last season. When Haynesworth missed three games last season, the Titans surrendered an average of 160 rushing yards.

“I look at this as good news,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “We’re expected to have them both back by the playoffs. We were all very concerned about Albert’s condition after the game. He has an MCL sprain and just an MCL sprain.”

The Titans have already secured a first-round bye in the playoffs and Fisher said he expects both linemen, Pro Bowlers last season, to be ready for that divisional-round game on Jan. 10 or 11. If Tennessee wins this week, it gets home field throughout the playoffs. If Pittsburgh wins, it would hold the tiebreaker despite the teams having identical records. The Titans then close with Indianapolis while Pittsburgh finishes with what would seem a sure victory against Cleveland. Thus Sunday’s game becomes even bigger.

With the absence of two premier players, Fisher said the Titans will have to rely on many younger players to fill in.

”We have played some good games where we have been without them and we have been okay,” Fisher said. ”I thought William Hayes played very well in the game Sunday. We have depth out there. Jacob Ford is getting his sacks and we all know what Dave Ball can do. Jason Jones is back and he has played well so we are in good shape.”

Steelers-Titans betting odds at WagerWeb.com

Shiba_Steelers
12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Good for us ...

XxKnightxX
12-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Im gonna be very intrigued on how these teams come out on Sunday. I can see it as being as a vanilla style of play since both these teams are headed for the playoffs witha bye week. I for one want the win, and hope that the colts play their starters on the final week of the season which they most likely will and beat the titans. If it doesnt happen, Ill take the home playoff game and then see what happens from there.

Avoid LLoyd1975
12-17-2008, 08:02 PM
The AFC/NFL game of the year has been us every week this past month facing somebody diffferent. One huge test to pass this week and then a pop quiz to finish the regular season. Here we go Steelers!

stillers4me
12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
whoa....whoa.... whoa....... hold on. Any given Sunday. We have played some good games with some key players out. We've had players step up and make the plays when they had to. Let's play the game before we start annointing any one.

MACH1
12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Don't go start counting chickens yet!

OX1947
12-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Health Health and Health. I would love to finish the season as the 1 seed, but not at expense of a major injury. That's all i'm concerned about the last 2 games. I got my wish, and that was a week off for an unbelievably resilient team despite the hardest schedule in 3 decades and huge injuries to star players like Ben and Parker.

fansince'76
12-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Im gonna be very intrigued on how these teams come out on Sunday. I can see it as being as a vanilla style of play since both these teams are headed for the playoffs witha bye week.

Good point - I was going to start a thread on this, but this seems to be as good a thread as any to discuss it. How much will we "show" the Titans this Sunday, and how much will they "show" us? Should be interesting.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Good point - I was going to start a thread on this, but this seems to be as good a thread as any to discuss it. How much will we "show" the Titans this Sunday, and how much will they "show" us? Should be interesting.

Honestly, I have watched the Titans last four games and I am unimpressed. I'm being objective here! I don't think they win one game in the playoffs. So I think the Steelers should come out swinging and TAKE the home field that the media gave them last month!!

tony hipchest
12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
i heard keith bullock and hines ward in an interview yesterday (both team leaders).

it was a tale of 2 cities. bullock was talking about the fun, "and "back against the wall/us against them" mentality of the possibility of not securing homefield and having to play a meaningful game on the road. he almost seemed to be downplaying the advantage and resigned to the fact that they may be facing a buzzsaw, come sunday.

all ward could talk about was homefield and playing in front of the fans and what a huge advantage it was, and how bad the steelers want it.

if these 2 interviews are a guage (which i think were a good indication of the team's mindset) we are in good shape.

SteelersGirlTN7
12-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Some of that may be coming from who is playing/not playing in the game. Living here, I know several people in Nashville that are more worried now that Haynesworth and KVB are missing this game. It's almost like they're resigned to getting #2 seed, and trying to be most positive about it.

XxKnightxX
12-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Home field wouldnt be bad at all with that freezing weather, teams cannot stand it. Man when I went to that Dallas game i really got to experience that Pittsburgh weather....Well the Chargers was just as bad. But besides the weather, Our stadium doesnt have the 304040404 seats that the other stadiums have but we make a hell of a lot of noise for a 65000 stadium.

markymarc
12-18-2008, 10:54 AM
The Titans are so overrated and got by on a cake cup schedule. Tomlin will have this team fired up and ready to take over the #1 playoff seed. We just have to shut down their running game and make Kerry Collins beat us and sorry that is not going to happen.

steelreserve
12-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Well, crap. This is a jinx if I ever saw one. Now I've got to think about losing all day to reverse the jinx.

But wait, since I thought that out loud, that means the jinx will be back on, so now I've got to not think about losing. But since I said that, I reversed the jinx again, so...

Well, I guess the point is, you can't think too hard about this kind of thing, or else it'll make you dumb.

LetsRock
12-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Haynesworth does not play offense. I want to see how they are talking if we shut them out or keep them under 12 points total.

DACEB
12-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I've said it before, I think we matchup well with the Titans. We'll see Sunday!!