PDA

View Full Version : Will you forgive an American Taliban in time for Christmas?

SteelersMongol
12-17-2008, 08:01 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The man dubbed the "Taliban American" is asking the president to commute the remaining years of his federal prison sentence, according to a statement released by his attorneys Wednesday.

John Walker Lindh is hoping that President Bush will commute the rest of his 20-year sentence.

John Walker Lindh, a 27-year-old Californian, has served seven years of a 20-year sentence after being captured in Afghanistan in 2001.

He joined the Taliban to fight in the country's civil war one month before the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan, according to the statement.

He originally was indicted on 10 charges, including conspiring to kill American citizens, but the U.S. Justice Department dismissed terrorism-related charges in 2002.

Lindh pleaded guilty to serving in the Taliban army and carrying weapons while fighting the U.S.-backed Northern Alliance. Along with the plea, he signed a gag order that prevented him from doing interviews.

His lawyers say Lindh never fought against American forces and received a harsher sentence because sentencing occurred after the September 11, 2001, attacks in New York, Washington and rural Pennsylvania.

Lindh's attorneys say he arrived in Afghanistan on September 6, 2001.

At a news conference Wednesday in San Francisco, California, Lindh's parents called on President Bush to show mercy for their son.

"This is the Christmas season, and it's a time for mercy," said Lindh's mother, Marilyn Walker.

His father, Frank Lindh, said his son, who grew up in California and converted to Islam as a teenager, "is a Muslim. He will always, I think, be a Muslim."

His parents repeated their contention that Lindh went abroad to study Islam, found himself in Afghanistan in a civil war and joined the Taliban with no intent to support terrorism or fight against his homeland. They believe that the post-September 11 charges of terrorism, which were subsequently dismissed, spurred public reaction against Lindh that resulted in the 20-year sentence.

"Our son never fought against American forces," his mother said. "He did not participate in terrorist activities of any kind. ... John made a mistake in joining the Afghan army at a time when their government was controlled by the Taliban. He has admitted that this was a mistake."

Lindh's attorneys said he is at a medium-security prison in Terre Haute, Indiana.

The elder Lindh said his son has been treated "very humanely" in the federal prison system.

"Quietly and in a good way, he has served his seven years," Frank Lindh said. "No matter what your perspective on this case, we think everyone should agree that seven years is enough."

Lindh's attorneys said that previous commutation appeals to the Bush administration have gone unanswered, but his father said Lindh's family holds out hope that Bush will act before leaving office.

"All of these events occurred while President Bush was in office," Frank Lindh said. "This is on his plate. I'd like to think we'll get a response from President Bush this time."

Appearing before a U.S. district judge in 2002, Lindh said he "made a mistake by joining the Taliban" and "had I realized then what I know now about the Taliban, I would never have joined them."

"Life is making choices and living with the consequences," U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis told Lindh during the sentencing. "You made a bad choice to join the Taliban."

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/17/john.walker.lindh/index.html

What would you do, say if you were in the President's shoes?

steelwall
12-17-2008, 08:09 PM

Do the crime do the time.

stillers4me
12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Let him rot.

X-Terminator
12-17-2008, 08:12 PM
See ya when you're 40, and just be glad your body parts aren't scattered all over the Afghan mountains.

MACH1
12-17-2008, 08:17 PM
"Life is making choices and living with the consequences,"

Get used to your 6x6 room, your gonna be there for a while.

Dino 6 Rings
12-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Isn't this the Same George Bush that let that ax murdering Woman in Texas fry even after she turned Holy Christian in prison and every priest and religious person in the country was asking him to commute her sentence.

I swear to God if he commutes this effing moslim terrorist turncoat's sentence after letting that chick burn (rightfully so by the way) Its all out Mother Effing war an ALL POLITICIANS!

43Hitman
12-17-2008, 08:23 PM
See ya when you're 40, and just be glad your body parts aren't scattered all over the Afghan mountains.

I agree. He can rot in that cell for another 13 years. He made his bed, now he has to lay in it. He could have been a practicing peaceful muslim and joined our military.

fansince'76
12-17-2008, 08:26 PM
If it were up to me, this scumbag would have gotten the firing squad, not a prison sentence. He should feel fortunate he only got 20 years of prison time, IMO.

steelwall
12-17-2008, 08:34 PM
If it were up to me, this scumbag would have gotten the firing squad, not a prison sentence. He should feel fortunate he only got 20 years of prison time, IMO.

Amen to that..he got off lightly, and is dam lucky to have not been treated far, far worse...

devilsdancefloor
12-17-2008, 08:41 PM
he can rot in hell as far as i am concerned.

TheWarDen86
12-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Lindh's attorneys say he arrived in Afghanistan on September 6, 2001.

And yet he continued to align himself with those pieces of garbage for how long after? Rot in hell.

The Patriot
12-17-2008, 09:03 PM
How can you stay mad at this face? :chuckle:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/b_gardenia/Jihad/johnny-taliban.jpg

I will cherish the next 14 years.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
EFF him...oh wait he has been in jail for 7 yrs. He has already been effed!

Here's to 13 more years of that piece of shit getting corn holed! :drink:

When he gets out he should be deported back to the desert with an I hate muslims tattoo on his forehead and glass Christmas ornaments surgically implanted in his ball sack!!

revefsreleets
12-18-2008, 10:40 AM
No way will Bush commute. He's made it quite clear that he wants to be the polar opposite of Clinton, who basically pardoned EVERYONE.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-18-2008, 11:56 AM
No way will Bush commute. He's made it quite clear that he wants to be the polar opposite of Clinton, who basically pardoned EVERYONE.

One of the MANY reasons Clinton will eventually (when people bother to listen to the truth) be seen for the fa-cup of a President he was!

revefsreleets
12-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Bush has pardoned about 170. Clinton pardoned 456.

SCSTILLER
12-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I like the fact that his lawyers said "he never fought against any American's." Coincidence since he was taken prisoner after the prison uprising and the death of a CIA agent. So, how are we to know that he is not the one that killed them.

Also, his parents are saying that this is Christmas and it is a time for mercy. KMA, what about the families of Agent Mike Spann, I know his family would love to have him home and alive for the holidays. Because of Lindh and douchebags like him, many American families are without their loved ones on Christmas.

They should have left him to die in that hole they found him in!

fansince'76
12-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Also, his parents are saying that this is Christmas and it is a time for mercy.

As far as I'm concerned, he was shown mercy and lots of it. He wasn't lined up against a concrete wall while his body was riddled with high-caliber rounds, which is what would have happened if the disposition of his case were left up to me.

SCSTILLER
12-18-2008, 12:31 PM
As far as I'm concerned, he was shown mercy and lots of it. He wasn't lined up against a concrete wall while his body was riddled with high-caliber rounds, which is what would have happened if the disposition of his case were left up to me.

I agree with you 150%! Should have left him to die and rot in the cave they found him in!

Godfather
12-18-2008, 06:59 PM
The Taliban doesn't believe in Christmas anyway, so my answer is the same as any other time of year--let him rot.

Even better, transfer him to Angola, after holding a seminar about Darfur for all black inmates taller than 6-4 and over 250 pounds.

beSteelmyheart
12-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Going off on a tangent here, but I really hate the mushy Christmas crap that comes up at this time of year & this would be a perfect example..Oh, lets pardon this scumbag in the true tradition of the Christmas spirit. Next year it will be another scumbag. And the next, & the next.
If they are guilty, then they are guilty!!! Why should Christmas have anything to do with it? Give me a friggin break. All of the Psuedo-Do-Gooders come out of the woodwork at this time of the year & the older I get the more it makes me want to puke.

Godfather
12-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Speaking of pardons, how about the Border Patrol agents, which is long overdue anyway?

augustashark
12-19-2008, 12:46 AM
What no bleeding heart liberals in this thread? Geesh, whats this board comming to.

Godfather
12-19-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't see anyone, regardless of political orientation, having any sympathy for that scumbag traitor. Hell, bleeding heart liberals hated the Taliban before 9/11.

steelwall
12-19-2008, 10:29 PM
In the spirit of Christmas...Santa will be bringing him a bag of switches. :old:

"You've been a naughty boy"...ho ho ho

TeeJay
12-20-2008, 09:55 PM
No......let the f**ker die, slowly and horribly, cause that's what he wants after all.

Then he can go the heaven to 57 Virgins...................................Twat!

The British ones deserve all they get.....which hopefully is excruciating pain, so why not everyone else!

O yeah....Happy F**king Xmas you evil scum sucking pieces of sh*t. You laughed at the Twin Towers coming down. You laughed at that mangled London Bus. Well laugh at this.......

Turn the desert into glass

This f**ker gave up any rights of a 'normal' life when he decided he wanted to kill American and British citizens. So no bleeding hearts for him now 'cause it's Xmas - And by rights he doesn't believe in Xmas anyway, so that's ok. I remember that sick video they posted of Nick Berg.......f**king animals. They're all the same - just under different names. It sums up what they think about human life. Just hand themover to the Ghurkas. They'll smile at them, then get the knives out. That'll work.

xfl2001fan
12-20-2008, 10:17 PM

I'd throw my shoes at the guy if I was George W.

TeeJay
12-20-2008, 10:25 PM
I'd throw my shoes at the guy if I was George W.

"Your throwing shoes. You fight like a Girl"! - That should'ave been GWB's best come back.

And then shoot the bloke in the face,,,,,from point blank range.....messy.

MasterOfPuppets
12-21-2008, 05:46 AM
was your question answered mongol ?......:chuckle:

Preacher
12-21-2008, 11:23 AM
IMO, Hatred is unbecoming, no matter WHO it is.

He fought against his own nation. He is lucky he didn't receive the death penalty. I am not sure who to blame for that oversight.

However, as a person, I forgive him-- though there are consequences to his actions and he must pay those consequences. He needs to spend the rest of his sentence. . . in jail.

The Patriot
12-21-2008, 04:35 PM
IMO, Hatred is unbecoming, no matter WHO it is.

He fought against his own nation. He is lucky he didn't receive the death penalty. I am not sure who to blame for that oversight.

However, as a person, I forgive him-- though there are consequences to his actions and he must pay those consequences. He needs to spend the rest of his sentence. . . in jail.

I agree. You can judge people's actions but you can't judge people.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-21-2008, 06:55 PM
I agree. You can judge people's actions but you can't judge people.

Huh?

WTF kinda freelove crap is that?

OF COURSE YOU CAN JUDGE PEOPLE!

I'm sorry, that statement is just dumb.

People ARE the sum of thier actions.

WOW! I am just blown away by that ridiculous assertion!

And one more thing...........

Have fun watching the playoffs at home with the rest of the cheaters! I hear Belicheat is throwing a SB party and he is screening the "confiscated" spy videos!

Tool.

SteelersMongol
12-21-2008, 08:18 PM
was your question answered mongol ?......:chuckle:

:laughing: YES, SIR. :thumbsup:

Godfather
12-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Huh?

WTF kinda freelove crap is that?

OF COURSE YOU CAN JUDGE PEOPLE!

I'm sorry, that statement is just dumb.

People ARE the sum of thier actions.

WOW! I am just blown away by that ridiculous assertion!

And one more thing...........

Have fun watching the playoffs at home with the rest of the cheaters! I hear Belicheat is throwing a SB party and he is screening the "confiscated" spy videos!

Tool.

It's not "freelove crap"> It's in the Bible.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM

Well until "god" steps in and stops the madness, I reserve the right to JUDGE whoever doesn't meet the standards of a civalized society!

The bible defense is LAME. If the bible mattered so much and was the end all be all of moral roadmaps then why is evil allowed to run rampant throughout the world? Why no "judgement" from god? Why is evil allowed to victomize little children and babies? There is NO WAY you can win an arguement with me using fairytales and stories from a book written eons ago as your platform.

Maybe if we DID start to judge and condemn the evil of the world and NOT wait for a fictitious character to deal with it in the "afterlife", maybe we could live much happier lives knowing that our kids don't have to worry about getting kidnapped and raped while waiting for a school bus.

Nothing gets me more fired up than someone using the bible as some means of absolute integrity!

JerseyDude
12-22-2008, 09:45 PM
As a US vet of Desert Storm, Iraq, and Afghanistan I say he needs to serve his time. He made his choice to engage in combat against us forces. As far as killing him, I wont judge him to that level, and those that do will be judged one day also.

tony hipchest
12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
after lendale whites stunt with the terrible towel, forgiving this dude almost seems easy.

:laughing: j/k

anyways, anyone know if hes getting time and a half (good time)?

if so he could be out in 3 years and his "debt be paid to society".

:noidea:

The Patriot
12-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Maybe if we DID start to judge and condemn the evil of the world and NOT wait for a fictitious character to deal with it in the "afterlife", maybe we could live much happier lives knowing that our kids don't have to worry about getting kidnapped and raped while waiting for a school bus.

Um... We have a legal system to punish crimes. :blah:

You can't judge a person, not accurately at least. It's impossible
...but you're welcome to try.

Dickhead

Hammer Of The GODS
12-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Um... We have a legal system to punish crimes. :blah:

You can't judge a person, not accurately at least. It's impossible
...but you're welcome to try.

More talking out your arse!

Legal system? What a joke!

If the legal system worked there wouldn't be a list of child rapists to search to see if one lives in your neighborhood! Go ahead do a search for pedophiles in your area! Bet theres one within a mile of your house!

Can't judge accurately? More crap! Man rapes child. Man is stoned in public then tortured till dead! Simple and the only accuracy needed is in the throwing of the rocks! I mean does he deserve better? If you say yes then you are an ignorant douchebag! Well your a cheater fan....... you're already an ignorant douchebag!

You can't win this arguement.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2008, 09:15 AM

The biblical definition of forgiveness does not always exclude punishment.

Even in the case of Jesus dying on the cross.....I am "forgiven" of my sins because Christ "paid the price" for them. I dont deserve death, because that price was paid.

The way that I explained biblical forgiveness to my children when they were little, is that if one of them was throwing a ball and knocked out one of our windows...I could forgive them for doing it and it takes nothing away from the love I have for them...BUT...they will have to pay for the window as the direct result. If I decide to pay for the window...its not forgiveness...its mercy.

Mercy.....is the act of NOT getting what you deserve through your misdeeds. I deserve Hell...but through Gods Mercy...the price was paid so that I was forgiven of that debt.

Two different concepts entirely.

The Patriot
12-23-2008, 09:20 AM
More talking out your arse!

Legal system? What a joke!

If the legal system worked there wouldn't be a list of child rapists to search to see if one lives in your neighborhood! Go ahead do a search for pedophiles in your area! Bet theres one within a mile of your house!

Can't judge accurately? More crap! Man rapes child. Man is stoned in public then tortured till dead! Simple and the only accuracy needed is in the throwing of the rocks! I mean does he deserve better? If you say yes then you are an ignorant douchebag! Well your a cheater fan....... you're already an ignorant douchebag!

You can't win this arguement.

How f-ing difficult is this to understand? :doh:

You punish a person for a crime! You put a thief in jail for theft. You execute a murderer for murder. You punish people for crimes! Just because Christianity preaches that you can't judge others, doesn't mean that you can't punish them for their crimes. Don't even think for a second that I don't want rapists and murders locked up for life! Christianity says that one should hope that criminals repent for their crimes while serving their sentences.

By the way, something like 95% of pedophiles where themselves abused as children. Tell me, wise Judge, is the abused child evil for being disgustingly twisted into a sexual predator through a series of unfortunate events? Pedophilia is a horrible crime! and pedophiles deserve to be locked up for life. But unlike you, I do not judge the mentally ill who are spending their life sentences. Many of them are evil, no doubt, but you can't judge that.

Godfather
12-24-2008, 04:12 PM
The biblical definition of forgiveness does not always exclude punishment.

Even in the case of Jesus dying on the cross.....I am "forgiven" of my sins because Christ "paid the price" for them. I dont deserve death, because that price was paid.

The way that I explained biblical forgiveness to my children when they were little, is that if one of them was throwing a ball and knocked out one of our windows...I could forgive them for doing it and it takes nothing away from the love I have for them...BUT...they will have to pay for the window as the direct result. If I decide to pay for the window...its not forgiveness...its mercy.

Mercy.....is the act of NOT getting what you deserve through your misdeeds. I deserve Hell...but through Gods Mercy...the price was paid so that I was forgiven of that debt.

Two different concepts entirely.

Oh, I agree...remember, I'm opposed to letting him out of jail, and I was guilty of coming up with ways to make his experience as miserable as possible before Preacher rightly called us out for it.

What you're getting at is the difference between the temporal and eternal debt for our sins.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-31-2008, 09:49 PM
You punish a person for a crime! You put a thief in jail for theft. You execute a murderer for murder. You punish people for crimes! Just because Christianity preaches that you can't judge others, doesn't mean that you can't punish them for their crimes. Don't even think for a second that I don't want rapists and murders locked up for life! Christianity says that one should hope that criminals repent for their crimes while serving their sentences. HOPE they repent? WTF? How does that make the victims get over thier memory of what happened? How many of these "punished" criminals get out and rape again?

By the way, something like 95% of pedophiles where themselves abused as children. Tell me, wise Judge, is the abused child evil for being disgustingly twisted into a sexual predator through a series of unfortunate events? Another lame arse excuse! My father was a drunk and beat the hell out of me and my mother! Physical AND mental abuse from him was the norm! I am a father and a husband and I DO NOT get drunk and beat my wife and kids! The cycle CAN be broken!

Pedophilia is a horrible crime! and pedophiles deserve to be locked up for life. Because of bleeding hearts like you they go free because the jails are too full of criminals who should be executed for thier inability to live in a civalized society!

But unlike you, I do not judge the mentally ill who are spending their life sentences. Many of them are evil, no doubt, but you can't judge that.
WHAT? OF COURSE YOU CAN CHANGE THE EVIL IN THEM! YOU KILL THEM AND THEIR EVIL DIES WITH THEM!

You are just another dreamer living in your own world of disillusion! You are not alone! Sadly you and people like you allow evil to continue without consequences!

HometownGal
01-01-2009, 01:21 PM
As a US vet of Desert Storm, Iraq, and Afghanistan I say he needs to serve his time. He made his choice to engage in combat against us forces. As far as killing him, I wont judge him to that level, and those that do will be judged one day also.

Thank you for being the voice of reason here. Though for the most part, I am pro-capital punishment, I totally agree with your position in this instance.

Thank you for your service to our great country! :usa: :salute:

The Patriot
01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
You are just another dreamer living in your own world of disillusion! You are not alone! Sadly you and people like you allow evil to continue without consequences!

Throw a stone, why don't you?

Crushzilla
01-01-2009, 02:39 PM

Wow... And you accuse him of outrageous assertions...

TeeJay
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm left-handed, and will never forget being chastised (in front of the whole School no less) by a religious freak (and she was a Teacher) for being so. Trying to force me to use a spoon in my right-hand........ I'm left-handed, I can't use a spoon in my right hand, same as I can't write with my right hand. I was eight f**king years old. - And no, I didn't tell her to f**k off.........I just sat there and cried, with Miss Pyscho doing a Cowher impression in my face (with spittle). The joys of having a teacher who believed if you were Left handed you were the son of Satan; and being the only lefty in the entire school certainly helped! Gotta love the 70's. It is those little things in life that stay with you and form what you become. I'm now 42 years old, (and still unable to use a spoon in my right hand) but those days in Primary School have stuck with me ever since. And I'm not about to forget them.

Just so you know, that's where my complete disregard for anything religious has come from. Except Paganism....the only true British Religion there is.

So whatever your standing (or whomever you may worship), you start spouting on, you can just shove it up your arse! You can rant until you're blue in the face, I'll just walk away, hoping the blueness is permanent, and you suffocate.

I'm Left-Handed, and f**king proud. (even it that does make me the spawn of Satan)....You right handed freaks!! No better than a Restaurant owner, giving a lefty both a spoon and a fork with their dessert! You enjoy tormenting people you sick f**Ks?

And where is this all leading to you ask? Nowhere I answer - just thought I'd tell you.
No wait......there was a reason. Oh yeah.............................................

He should have been shot him on Christmas Morning, live on ESPN, and Al Jazeera. (Before that rocket gets their building).
At least it would save money on his cell bill. And no lose to society.

Preacher
01-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm left-handed, and will never forget being chastised (in front of the whole School no less) by a religious freak (and she was a Teacher) for being so. Trying to force me to use a spoon in my right-hand........ I'm left-handed, I can't use a spoon in my right hand, same as I can't write with my right hand. I was eight f**king years old. - And no, I didn't tell her to f**k off.........I just sat there and cried, with Miss Pyscho doing a Cowher impression in my face (with spittle). The joys of having a teacher who believed if you were Left handed you were the son of Satan; and being the only lefty in the entire school certainly helped! Gotta love the 70's. It is those little things in life that stay with you and form what you become. I'm now 42 years old, (and still unable to use a spoon in my right hand) but those days in Primary School have stuck with me ever since. And I'm not about to forget them.

Just so you know, that's where my complete disregard for anything religious has come from. Except Paganism....the only true British Religion there is.

So whatever your standing (or whomever you may worship), you start spouting on, you can just shove it up your arse! You can rant until you're blue in the face, I'll just walk away, hoping the blueness is permanent, and you suffocate.

I'm Left-Handed, and f**king proud. (even it that does make me the spawn of Satan)....You right handed freaks!! No better than a Restaurant owner, giving a lefty both a spoon and a fork with their dessert! You enjoy tormenting people you sick f**Ks?

And where is this all leading to you ask? Nowhere I answer - just thought I'd tell you.
No wait......there was a reason. Oh yeah.............................................

He should have been shot him on Christmas Morning, live on ESPN, and Al Jazeera. (Before that rocket gets their building).

Left-handed? That's a new one on me. You should have reminded her of the judge that delivered Israel precisely because he was left-handed and came from the tribe Benjamin--which means "Son of my right hand". Told her God made him a lefty to deliver the nation... and watch her blow her top!!

Believe it or not, I dislike that type of thing probably more than you do. . . because I KNOW that she should have known better, and it was (if she was a Christian) one of my colleagues that failed to teach her properly.

The Patriot
01-04-2009, 08:03 PM

That ain't as bad as what my priest did.

TeeJay
01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Left-handed?That's a new one on me

Unfortunately, in 70's England there were still a few who associated Left-Handed with Sinister, (blame Latin for that one!) and hence, The Devil. :noidea: ..............................
All I wanted to do was eat my Pudding with a spoon, in the hand I'd always used!!!

. You should have reminded her of the judge that delivered Israel precisely because he was left-handed and came from the tribe Benjamin--which means "Son of my right hand". Told her God made him a lefty to deliver the nation... and watch her blow her top!!

If I'd known that then Preacher, I would'ave quite happily said that to her, (assuming an Eight year old is capable of such profound statements :wink02:)........but considering she was the token 'Nasty Teacher' I'd probably not be around now, which a lot of people would probably think would be a good thing! :yikes:

But at least now I know why I'm here! :wink02:.........sorry couldn't resist that!

Believe it or not, I dislike that type of thing probably more than you do. . . because I KNOW that she should have known better, and it was (if she was a Christian) one of my colleagues that failed to teach her properly.

I actually do believe you Preacher........believe it or not! :wink02: :thumbsup:

That ain't as bad as what my priest did.

Images I didn't need now entering my head...........Thanks! :cya: