PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field capacity

plenewken
12-18-2008, 07:40 AM
I just discovered that Heinz Field, which I never considered a great stadium, is 25th in terms of capacity with 65,050 seats. The largest is FedEx in DC with 91,700 seats and the smallest is the new Soldier's Field in Chicago with 61,500 seats, only 3,500 less than HF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

Considering the fact that the Steelers have one of the largest fan base in the country, if not the largest, and the fact that the waiting list for season tickets is around 25 years (I'm optimistic), I wonder why the Rooneys didn't build a bigger stadium from the beginning.

Have you heard of any plan to increase the capacity of Heinz Field?

Just curious.

stlrtruck
12-18-2008, 08:56 AM
I think two years ago there was talk about closing in the south end but it was more of a rumor than anything as there were no links or story lines in the local paper to colloborate the rumor.

X-Terminator
12-18-2008, 09:00 AM
I just discovered that Heinz Field, which I never considered a great stadium, is 25th in terms of capacity with 65,050 seats. The largest is FedEx in DC with 91,700 seats and the smallest is the new Soldier's Field in Chicago with 61,500 seats, only 3,500 less than HF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

Considering the fact that the Steelers have one of the largest fan base in the country, if not the largest, and the fact that the waiting list for season tickets is around 25 years (I'm optimistic), I wonder why the Rooneys didn't build a bigger stadium from the beginning.

Have you heard of any plan to increase the capacity of Heinz Field?

Just curious.

They wanted to keep the price tag as low as possible so that they'd have a better chance of getting the public financing they asked for. An 80,000-90,000 seat stadium would have likely pushed the project over $350 million, which would have been tough for the public to swallow since they had just rejected a proposal to raise the county RAD tax from 1% to 1.5% to help pay for it. It's also ironic in that the Penguins' new arena is going to cost $321 million - if they built that same stadium for the Steelers now, it would cost well over $400 million.

As of right now, there are no plans to increase the capacity, though I wish they would. Despite the cost, they should have built at least an 80,000 seat stadium back then to allow more fans to go to games - it's just too small.

Where I think they screwed up was spending $325 million on the new convention center, which has been a total flameout since it's been open. It hasn't delivered anything close to the promises they made when it was first proposed - in fact, I can't remember it ever drawing a major convention outside of the All-Star Fan Fest in 2006. The thing sits empty more often than not, and has already experienced several major structural problems. A complete waste of money that could have been used to build a larger Heinz Field.

XxKnightxX
12-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I noticed that too when I went there, but it sure as hell doesnt feel like a 65000 stadium. That stadium gets loud and the opposing teams feel it, hell the crowd makes noise when the other team is doing practice plays. But I think the design of the South end sacrificed a lot of seats., but the desing of the stadium is beautiful, so I guess design outmatched capacity. I seriously think though that if the stadium were to have 10000 additional seats then they would sell out like hot cakes.

TailgateMel
12-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I was a little bummed at the time when they didn't make it big, b/c I had already been on the waitlist a few years at that point....

I was on a tour there in 2002, and they said something about maybe filling in the gap between the north endzone seats & the sides... but that never came to fruition either....

Oh well... it still is a nice stadium, not as loud as TRS, but much nicer.

Mel

jjpro11
12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
its probably going to stay the way it is now until a new stadium is built.. you really never hear of nfl stadiums adding seats or making significant structural changes. thats more of a college football thing.

plenewken
12-18-2008, 10:08 AM
I was a little bummed at the time when they didn't make it big, b/c I had already been on the waitlist a few years at that point....

I was on a tour there in 2002, and they said something about maybe filling in the gap between the north endzone seats & the sides... but that never came to fruition either....

Oh well... it still is a nice stadium, not as loud as TRS, but much nicer.

Mel

Closing the gaps on both sides of the North endzone (and cover it!) would be nice but I don't think this would add too many seats. Closing the South endzone would be a much better option. The idea of leaving it open to have a nice view of downtown would be fine if the stadium was larger, but between a nice view and 10,000 more seats, I'll take the additional seats anyday and I'm pretty sure the majority of the fans would do too.

As for the Convention Center, don't get me started! :mad:

The_WARDen
12-18-2008, 10:39 AM
They should have built a palace for the Steelers and told the Pirates to take a hike and not have built PNC Park for that fraudulent organization.

CanadianSteel
12-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I have often wondered why the didnt close off the Gaps on the North side and make like a Horsehoe bowl. I do love the open end of the stadium with the view of Downtown, but closing off the North end would probably have added say 3 to 4,000 seats ?

plenewken
12-18-2008, 11:49 AM
I have often wondered why the didnt close off the Gaps on the North side and make like a Horsehoe bowl. I do love the open end of the stadium with the view of Downtown, but closing off the North end would probably have added say 3 to 4,000 seats ?

Yep. The North side looks unfinished with the 2 gaps and no protection. Have you sat there when it rains or snows? I did and I don't look forward to doing it again.

CanadianSteel
12-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Yep. The North side looks unfinished with the 2 gaps and no protection. Have you sat there when it rains or snows? I did and I don't look forward to doing it again.

Ya... I have sat all over Heinz and the wind wips through near the North end there pretty darn good....

#1LambertFan
12-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Add a few new sections without seats. I'll stand for 3 hours like any other true Steelers fan should.

LetsRock
12-18-2008, 12:39 PM
FedEx holds 91K, but you should hear how the fans COMPLAIN about the ease that opposing fans can buy up tickets and take away their "homefield advantage". By keeping the stadium small, ticketholders will value their seats and not as easily sellout to a rival fan.

LetsRock
12-18-2008, 12:42 PM
its probably going to stay the way it is now until a new stadium is built.. you really never hear of nfl stadiums adding seats or making significant structural changes. thats more of a college football thing.

There are a lot of obstructed view seats at FedEx Field because they added a new level "after the fact".

revefsreleets
12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
If they wrapped around the North end they'd add a few thousand seats, but, more importantly, it'd be a lot louder, especially at that end of the field. I sat in the bleachers there for thr Bears game a couple years ago and it's a cold sumbitch sittin' up there, too.

Steely McSmash
12-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I was surprised at the size as well. would be nice if they had planned some potential to expand it in the future when they built it.

I think they could easily sell out 20,000 more seats. Even simple bench seats on an upper deck like a college stadium could be sold at an affordable price.

pepsyman1
12-18-2008, 11:35 PM
As attractive as the view out of the South end of the stadium is, I'd love to see them close off some of it and add some seats. The fan base would easily fill them and it would make the stadium louder. Heinz field is never as loud as Three River used to get for a playoff game. All those cheers just roll right out to the water.

plenewken
12-19-2008, 09:41 AM
As attractive as the view out of the South end of the stadium is, I'd love to see them close off some of it and add some seats. The fan base would easily fill them and it would make the stadium louder. Heinz field is never as loud as Three River used to get for a playoff game. All those cheers just roll right out to the water.

I'm with you 100%. Who really cares about the view out the South end, seriously? Fans go to HF to watch a game, not the skyline. I mean, it's not like PNC Park where what's happening on the field is so pathetic that you want to look at something else. LOL

Anyway, we're dreaming. HF will not change anytime soon. It is what it is, but I think the Steelers and their fans deserve better than the 25th in capacity and one of the worst playing surface of all NFL stadiums.