PDA

View Full Version : Got My Christmas Bonus Today...

revefsreleets
12-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Want to see it?

Here it is....

....there it was.

(Even Clark Griswald got a "Jelly of the Month" membership)

CB1977
12-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey rev...we got the same thing this year!!!!

revefsreleets
12-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Makes my $10 gift card to Eat-n-Park look pretty damned appealing.

At least I have a job.

MACH1
12-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I got one just like that.

fansince'76
12-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Got a company pen set. However, I am thankful just to have a job in this economy.

X-Terminator
12-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I got the same thing, revs. I'm getting that for my annual raise, too. But, like everyone else, I'm just glad I have a job, and a secure job at that.

beSteelmyheart
12-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Makes my $10 gift card to Eat-n-Park look pretty damned appealing.

At least I have a job.
:toofunny: We thought we were the only ones!!!! For the past few years our Christmas bonus has been a 10 dallar bill & a candy cane full of M&Ms! It's kind of a joke at our company how cheap they are.
This year, no 10$ but you know what, some of us are relieved because it was kind of demoralizing. We got wrapped boxes of candy instead & a decent BBQ lunch today.
We are glad to be employed too, cuckoo bird owners or not & in a great position to buy a home so that's good enough for me.

GutterflowerSteel
12-18-2008, 06:50 PM
We never got bonuses anyway - pfffft - insurance company - but we had our annual Omelet Chefs holiday breakfast this year ... so that was cool. I'll take it - take it and like it :thumbsup:

sixstringlass
12-18-2008, 07:05 PM
I work for myself, so no bonuses, ever.

Except that I get to eat, and stuff....

nojobny
12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
At least I have a job.

AMEN! :drink:

revefsreleets
12-19-2008, 08:28 AM
They did cater in some food from the 356th Fighter Group (pretty decent restaurant) but that was a trade deal, so nothing out of pocket.

43Hitman
12-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I got laid-off last month, and still can't find a new job. Almost 10 years of service down the drain. :frown:

Steelcitygal87
12-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I got laid-off last month, and still can't find a new job. Almost 10 years of service down the drain. :frown:

I am sorry to hear about your lay off . I am currently in the same situation(looking for employment). I am a medical lab. tech. and the hospital I was going to work at is closing down :frown: . It was in financial trouble so the state stepped in and will be closing its doors. This is a small community, with many elderly people who can't be traveling miles and miles for health care(into Pittsburgh, which is about 30 mins. south). It just sickens me that this is happening.

I will remember you in my prayers, that you find employment soon!

Dawn

stillers4me
12-19-2008, 08:57 AM
I feel blessed this year. I still have my job and so does my husband. He even has a holiday, weekend position at a jewelry store for some extra cash.

This is the first year in about 5 or 6 years that on or the other of us have not been unemployed sometime throughout the year and made the holidays extra tight.

klick81
12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
At least I have a job.

Quoted for truth. Times are very hard right now, so im grateful for my job!

TackleMeBen
12-19-2008, 10:20 AM
dont feel bad. we didnt bonuses either. i did take my staff out for lunch yesterday, my treat, sort of.. it was on the company card. but they deserved it.

43Hitman
12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I am sorry to hear about your lay off . I am currently in the same situation(looking for employment). I am a medical lab. tech. and the hospital I was going to work at is closing down :frown: . It was in financial trouble so the state stepped in and will be closing its doors. This is a small community, with many elderly people who can't be traveling miles and miles for health care(into Pittsburgh, which is about 30 mins. south). It just sickens me that this is happening.

I will remember you in my prayers, that you find employment soon!

Dawn

Thank-you. :hug:

fansince'76
12-19-2008, 01:02 PM

I'm very sorry to hear this. Best of luck to you both - here's to hoping you find new and even better jobs soon! :drink: :hope:

revefsreleets
12-19-2008, 01:07 PM
My girlfriends assistant got shit-canned today.

Never understood why people can't wait until December 26th to do this kind of thing.

fansince'76
12-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Never understood why people can't wait until December 26th to do this kind of thing.

Or January 2nd. What's 2 more weeks, really? And trying to job hunt during the holidays is an exercise in futility in a good economy, never mind the way it is now.

NV STEELERS 723
12-19-2008, 01:35 PM
LOL... The Director of our division put boxes of navel oranges in the breakroom LOL... "here...have an orange " !

Hammer67
12-19-2008, 01:40 PM

I know! I got laid off Christmas Eve 2001. I was like REALLY??? You couldn't wait two weeks and not totally ruin a holiday?

My wife got news of her lay off yesterday...it actually is a good thing, though. She worked at a major automotive part supplier but took FMLA and maternity since October...I told her to not go back afterwards, anyway as I make enough to keep her here considering what we would have doled out for daycare. She is watching her sister's two babies, and ours, during the week. So, it's a win-win for everyone. Sister has comfort of knowing her babies are being watched by family, my wife can stay at home.

And, with the news that she is being laid off, she doesn't have to quit and forgo the unemployment and severance package they offered! Bonus!

Sucks in a way but it works out sometimes.

Again, though, the timing...right before Christmas. I know there are others at that company not in the fortunate position we are in and that just ruins holidays.

sixstringlass
12-20-2008, 01:30 AM

I don't get it, either. My Dad got terminated (with option to rehire if the plant re-opens in May) on the 13th. After 35 years? He had accumulated 3 weeks paid vacation, and they didn't want to pay him for that. If he does go back in May, he loses all his seniority, his vacation, and the copays on the insurance are going up. probably with a cut in pay. But those the breaks in a right to work state....

Galax Steeler
12-20-2008, 05:33 AM
We get a canned ham every year for christmas at least it is better then nothing.

revefsreleets
12-20-2008, 03:22 PM
I get dumping "liabilities off the books" in the prior FY, but would it effing KILL them to wait 1 extra week. I think the day AFTER Christmas is better.

TeeJay
12-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I got to keep my job, which is a bonus I guess. :thumbsup:

Sh*t happens is bollocks. Management happens, and is bollocks. If a company wants to cull their expenses......then cull their Management.......there's the simple answer!

It takes an Engineer to work that out???

Happy Xmas. :tt03:

Hammer67
12-22-2008, 10:05 AM
I got to keep my job, which is a bonus I guess. :thumbsup:

Sh*t happens is bollocks. Management happens, and is bollocks. If a company wants to cull their expenses......then cull their Management.......there's the simple answer!

It takes an Engineer to work that out???

Happy Xmas. :tt03:

Hey now...I am a manager of engineers! LOL

I think I do good enough job at my Data Center! Plus, some of my guys make more then I do...and rightly so.

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Two Jobs ago, the place I worked for, gave everyone in the company their choice of a ham or a turkey.

I always took the ham. It was a good ham too!

xfl2001fan
12-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Like many here, I consider my job as a bonus in and of itself. I make enough (barely) to support my 5 kids while my wife stays at home. Once she finishes her school (Medical Transcription) the plan is for her to work from the house.

Life is just difficult for so many people right now...and my prayers go out to you who have recently lost your jobs.

Steelcitygal87
12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Like many here, I consider my job as a bonus in and of itself. I make enough (barely) to support my 5 kids while my wife stays at home. Once she finishes her school (Medical Transcription) the plan is for her to work from the house.

Life is just difficult for so many people right now...and my prayers go out to you who have recently lost your jobs.

I have a degree in Medical Lab Technology, but living in a small town I am having trouble finding work in my field. I hope you don't mind me asking, but how does your wife like her transcription classes? Does it take long to complete the course? I was thinking if looking into Medical Trans. myself. Thanks and I wish her the best of luck!

God bless,
Dawn

LambertIsGod58
12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones....we got a $300 bonus here. Plus another in January or so. We're well taken care of and I don't lose sight of that fact....not even for a second. I've only been here a year and a half and I guess back in the day the bonuses were alot more. Some people still complained.....and with all the people who are not at fortunate, it makes me sick.

Hammer67
12-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones....we got a $300 bonus here. Plus another in January or so. We're well taken care of and I don't lose sight of that fact....not even for a second. I've only been here a year and a half and I guess back in the day the bonuses were alot more. Some people still complained.....and with all the people who are not at fortunate, it makes me sick.

That's a great perspective. I am not getting a raise this year...which is what's happening across the board for managment and employees. It sucks, but I am happy to have a job in Michigan that pays well, and is pretty secure. If my down year is the lack of a raise, then I am fine with that.

xfl2001fan
12-22-2008, 08:35 PM
I have a degree in Medical Lab Technology, but living in a small town I am having trouble finding work in my field. I hope you don't mind me asking, but how does your wife like her transcription classes? Does it take long to complete the course? I was thinking if looking into Medical Trans. myself. Thanks and I wish her the best of luck!

God bless,
Dawn

Depending on the course you take...and how dedicated you are to your studies, you can expect between a 9-12 month course. (She's taking a little longer, but 5 kids and 1 on the way...will do that to a woman.)

She's already an STNA and an EMT(B), so the language portion isn't too tough for her. In HS, she took a business associates course giving her some experience with various Microsoft applications (as well as helping with her typing skills.)

Google/Yahoo AAMT (or AHDI) for the main website...and they'll have a list of approved schools you can go through. (ENSURE it's an approved school...we already went down this road once and wasted a nice chunk of change.)

Hope it helps sweety! Merry Christmas and Good Luck!

Ben

Preacher
12-26-2008, 11:16 PM
My wife got a 10% pay cut this year, started in Dec.

The church has been struggling financially for some time, but is able to make it right now.

My heart and prayers go out to and for everyone who has lost their job.

Here's to a better one in the new year!

DJfan
12-27-2008, 12:34 AM
I struggle as a teacher, so I have another job as a DJ for weddings and parties. As much as I hate working so much, I feel blessed to pay the bills. Wifey has a little less than 1.5 years before she completes the BA in business, so I can hold out.

God bless you all who are out of work. I feel so blessed to have tenure at a job like I do.