PDA

View Full Version : DUNGY: JAMES HARRISON IS THE NFL MVP

mesaSteeler
12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
DUNGY: JAMES HARRISON IS THE NFL MVP
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 18, 2008, 11:28 a.m.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

As the Colts continue their turnaround from a 3-4 start to their current 10-4 record, many people are picking quarterback Peyton Manning as the league’s Most Valuable Player.

But Manning’s coach, Tony Dungy, has a different choice for MVP.

Dungy said on Sirius NFL Radio that he believes Steelers linebacker James Harrison is the league’s true MVP.

“To me, he does a lot,” Dungy said of Harrison. “He’s like Randy Moss or Dwight Freeney. You have to game plan for him in terms of how you’re going to block him in the passing game, so he puts that on the table even before the game starts. And then he does other things: He drops in pass coverage, he covers tight ends, you can move him around, and he’s not just a one-dimensional rusher. He’s a linebacker who also rushes, and he’s been the most dominant player on the best defense in football, and by next Sunday they might have the best record in football.”

Dungy may be particularly swayed by the way Harrison played against his own team: In the Colts’ Week 10 win over the Steelers, Harrison recorded nine solo tackles and a sack.

SCSTILLER
12-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I truly beleive he deserves it, but he won't get it. You have to play offense or have a 400 tackle, 50 sack, 8 int's, 3 TD's, 19 FFumbles, and 16 QB's sent to the emergency room type season as a defender to win the league MVP. Maybe he will step it up in the next two games (sarcasm)

Avoid LLoyd1975
12-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Dungy is a very smart man.

Pi Kapp Steeler
12-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Because he was a previous steeler :hatsoff:

43Hitman
12-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I truly beleive he deserves it, but he won't get it. You have to play offense or have a 400 tackle, 50 sack, 8 int's, 3 TD's, 19 FFumbles, and 16 QB's sent to the emergency room type season as a defender to win the league MVP. Maybe he will step it up in the next two games (sarcasm)

:sofunny::sofunny:

KeiselPower99
12-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Silverback may get it as defensive MVP. He truly deserves it but itll probably be Ware or J-Peezy.

Polamalu43
12-18-2008, 06:32 PM
I think harrison deserves it as well, but man ware has also been a monster this season!! guy is a beast!

lilyoder6
12-18-2008, 06:43 PM
either way... it looks to be a good chance that a def player could win the league mvp

jjpro11
12-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Silverback may get it as defensive MVP. He truly deserves it but itll probably be Ware or J-Peezy.

dont overlook what will be 100+ tackles, a safety, 7 forced fumbles and an interception.. sacks arent everything. he blows those two out of the water overall.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Peezy and Ware are mostly one-dimensional.

Porter used to be a very good all around linebacker, but I think he has lost a step in his coverage skills.

Silverback is an all-around beast. Best football player in the NFL this year, hands down.

XxKnightxX
12-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Thats what I notice about Harrison compared to Porter and Ware, HARRISON HAS ABOUT 90 Tackles, nowhere even close from the others. I wish he can get it, and the media profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilters will crown Manning though like always, but I can give three craps if he got the MVP of the season, get the SUper Bowl and MVP honors.

HometownGal
12-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Silverback is an all-around beast. Best football player in the NFL this year, hands down.

Couldn't have said it any better - Silverback deserves the MVP but because he is a Steeler(s), he most likely won't get the honor.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Couldn't have said it any better - Silverback deserves the MVP but because he is a Steeler(s), he most likely won't get the honor.

Don't forget he plays defense...the last defensive player to win the league MVP award was Lawrence Taylor in 1986.

If he doesn't win Devensive Player of the Year then there is some definate media bias bullshit.

But I'll take a record sixth Lombardi Trophy and Harrison winning the Super Bowl MVP award over those other awards any day of the week and 6 times on Sundays!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO! :tt03:

tony hipchest
12-18-2008, 10:48 PM
well, so much for this.

in his post game interview vs. jax he said there is no doubt in his mind [now] that the elder manning brother is the mvp.

NJarhead
12-18-2008, 11:17 PM
:hatsoff: Always liked Tony Dungy.

Also, this is the coolest sig I have ever seen!!!

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww83/AVBPKP195/Steelers-05.gif

Kudos Pi Kapp Steeler. :drink: :thumbsup:

XxKnightxX
12-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Peyton Must of threatened him and told him they might yank out one of his endorsements lol. Hell of a performance by manning though man, gotta give it to him. I dont know if its me but once again the media is glorifying their winning streak against all the creampuffs(Worst of all we ignited that), but I like how Deon just said it to Reggie Waynes Face, You guys are one and done lol

well, so much for this.

in his post game interview vs. jax he said there is no doubt in his mind [now] that the elder manning brother is the mvp.

Blitzburgh_Fever
12-19-2008, 02:13 AM
There's also the issue of all the endorsements that companies, and the NFL, loves to give to the MVP.

Somehow I don't see James Harrison doing an endorsement for Dish Network without getting to hit someone very hard during filming.

JackHammer
12-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Also, this is the coolest sig I have ever seen!!!

Morphing from Big Snack into Ward just can't be healthy at all :rofl:

Galax Steeler
12-19-2008, 03:55 AM
I would love to see Harrison get it but I think after the performance by Manning last nigh that might have sealed the deal but you never know these last two games Harrioson could have a monster game and get it.

eafratitpm3
12-19-2008, 05:20 AM
It looks like all the NFL Media types are all over Peyton's Jock to be the MVP of the League after the Jax game, let's see how the MVP holds up next week against Tennessee. He's the flavor of the month this week, lol.

lilyoder6
12-19-2008, 12:35 PM
i think dungy would change his mind after seeing the performance by manning last night.. but too sad he can't vote 4 his own player

markymarc
12-19-2008, 07:19 PM
That's saying a lot when a coach like Dungy is saying stuff like that about Harrison. Good to hear from Dungy. And right now all the defensive player of the year talk has been for Ware and his 19 sacks. I still think Harrison is the defensive player of the year because IMO he does a lot more than Ware.

markymarc
12-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Agreed, theres more to it than having the most sacks. James Harrison has been THE guy this year :tt:

No question about that. He has been a stud the past 2 years. I will be very disappointed if he does not get the defensive player of the year award. It's a lot more than sacks. It's impact on the game and to me Harrison has had the biggest defensive impact this year.

stillers4me
12-19-2008, 08:22 PM
The one positive thing if he DOESN'T get it, he'll be out to prove himself worthy of the honor next year.

Now that's scary. :chuckle:

SteelCityKing
12-19-2008, 09:22 PM
dont overlook what will be 100+ tackles, a safety, 7 forced fumbles and an interception.. sacks arent everything. he blows those two out of the water overall.

yeah man...just don't do it...do NOT overlook the numbers baby. =)

MDSteel15
12-19-2008, 11:56 PM

I love Peezy to death but Pennington is their MVP! Their D- wasn't bad last year keeping them in games.

Ware is a beast... BUT we beat them!

Harrison has become a leader and a game changer, so if Ben doesn't get it for all these 4th quarter heroics, then Silverback should!

Steelers & I
12-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Harrison gets my vote :applaudit:, oh wait, I don't have a vote :doh:

He definitely deserves it, it's not just the sacks, as other members have already pointed it, the man has done far more than just sack the QB.

Hopefully he can throw a little fuel on "The Harrison for MVP fire" this Sunday by smacking Fairy Collins around a bit.

GutterflowerSteel
12-21-2008, 07:40 AM
I am in SHOCK. I just watched this week's episode of Inside The NFL, and Collinsworth, Sapp and Simms were talking about the MVP. Phil Simms said that he would give it to BEN ROETHLISBERGER! I'm not kidding, and I had to replay that part again to make sure I heard him correctly. Then he said that if the season were to end today and he had to give it someone on defense - he picked JAMES HARRISON. Sapp said he'd give it to Joey Porter and Collinsworth picked DeMarcus Ware. Collinsworth teased Simms and said that Belichick wouldn't like it that he was splitting his loyalties between the Patsies and Steelers.

PHIL SIMMS picked a Steeler?! Wow, I think it might snow today :tt02: