PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft Update

ShiestyLG
12-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Here?s an updated list from numerous draft sites of possible first round selections. I put together a list to give fans an idea of what people are saying could be potential number one picks, so that if interested, could research them. That's all. No more, no less.

1st round:

Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa
Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St.
Spencer Havner, LB, UCLA
DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
Ahmad Brooks, ILB, Virginia
Abdul Hodge, LB, Iowa
Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State

Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, NC State
Jesse Mahelona, DL, Tennessee
Claude Wroten, DT, LSU

Charles Gordon, CB, Kansas
DeMario Minter, CB, Georgia
Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
Devin Hester, CB, Miami
Will Blackmon, CB, Boston College
ALAN ZEMAITIS, CB, PENN STATE

Jason Avant, WR, Michigan
HANK BASKETT, WR, NEW MEXICO
Martin Nance, WR, Miami (OH)
Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
Jason Hill, WR, Washington State
Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio St

LENDALE WHITE, RB, USC
Michael Bush, RB, Louisville
Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis

Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia
Jonathon Scott, OT, Texas
Greg Eslinger, C, Minnesota

Darnell Bing, S, USC

2nd Round:

Jerome Harrison, RB, Washington St
Dontrell Moore, RB, New Mexico

ROGER MCINTOSH, LB, MIAMI (FL)
Kai Parham, LB, Virginia

Greg Lee, WR, Pittsburgh

3rd Round:

RYAN O' CALLAGHAN, OT, CALIFORNIA

Jovon Johnson, CB, Iowa

Manase Hapoi, DL, Washington

I don't know why so many mock drafts have the Steelers taking a CB in the first round. Most of them have no idea about the Steelers and think they have no "pressing needs." Ha! I do like the idea of picking up another CB though. If one of those can slip to the 2nd round, that would be awesome. We need a shut down CB to match up against the likes of Indy, Cin, Den, SD and NE.

In terms of position, WR is the weakest. Ward is the only good reciever. I like El, but who was the FO trying to kid anyway, he is not a #2 reciever. He is a good #3 slot reciever w/ a legit deep threat. Other than that he has the ST thing and QB experience going for him. Wilson is no better than a #3 reciever. He isn't even a third of the reciever Plex is. He made his share of clutch catches, but he had his fair share of drop passes. I haven't seen enough of Morgan due to the depth charts. He made some nice catches, but also missed on some chances, tough he did drawl some penalities. He is a ST beast. If EL leaves, we need to sign Morgan. He's unreal during kickoffs and probably would be a beast at punt returns. I see the top three recievers as;

Ward
WR through either draft or FA
Morgan

As for LB, we have a solid core. I think it's insanity people saying we should straight up cut Porter and Haggans. Remember LB was an issue for depth? Cutting them would solve one thing, cap space, that's it. If we cut them and add another LB, nothing was solved. Depth will still be an issue. I would love to see the Steelers do what Cincy did and draft two LB back to back. We need a pass rusher and two would be even better. It's about time the Steelers had another Llyod/Green tandem to complament the Troy/Hope tandem.

The O-line needs a lot of attention. They play good, but have there days. Simmons is not the answer. I don't see drafting another young lineman yet. We have a good bit of young, inexperienced linemen. We need a proven veteran lineman through trade or FA. The only O-line position I want to see drafted is C. We need another Dawson to protect Ben. Greg Eslinger, C, Minnesota would be ideal.

RB is the third big issue. Bettis will retire, Duce had a glimpse of being special, but is injury prone. I thought we got rid of Kendrell Bell, I gues not? Parker is a good #2, change of pace, Eric Peagrem style. We need a big power back to compliment Parker. I like what Denver is doing with Anderson and Bell. Haynes is a good 3rd down back and S player, no more no less.

The secondary isn't a glarring issue yet. That is unless Hope leaves, which I hope he doesn't. CBs are decent. QB position needs insurance. The only other worry is D-line. Kimo's getting old.

Just some thoughts...

Dook
12-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I keep going back and forth between RB and WR in the first.

Going by the mocks I think there is a good chance that RB Lendale White will fall to us in the first round because only a few teams are taking RB's. 49er's take Reggie Bush (who you somehow left out of your mock?), Tennessee takes DeAngelo Williams, and some have Minnesota taking Maroney. Of the whole lot of them, I only like Lendale White. The others are too small, Willie P. size but not as quick.

I would like a WR in the second. Santonio Holmes is the speedster and #1 but he will be long gone when we pick. Martin Nance is rated high and played with Ben in college. I wouldn't mind getting Baskett either because he has size, average NFL speed, but he is a high jump champion. If we draft someone who can start then we can release Cedric Wilson to make more cap space.

Third round, I'm undecided. I lean toward OLB but the best ones will be gone. I think we are okay at OL once we replace Simmons with Kemo, next year I hope. In the draft OG Gilles is a giant but he won't be available unless we take him in the first, which I don't think he is worth.

As far as a Center I think it really depends on Hartings. If he retires then we have to start Okobi and go after depth or maybe go after the Saints Lecharles Bently. I watched Bently last monday night and he did really well against the Falcons but if Hartings does not retire we take a big cap hit by having both of them on the team and Okobi.

I have some other ideas but they are unlikely. Go after Reggie Wayne or trade Duce and our #2 to San Francisco for their #2 pick in the draft so we can get RB Lendale White with our first pick then a few picks later, early in the 2nd round, we take Martin Nance before someone else pulls him.

ShiestyLG
12-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I left Reggie Bush out, because there is no chance in hell the Steelers will get him. He's going to be probably the top pick or top three. Steelers don't have that much money to sign one player, but we can dream.

Rotorhead
12-17-2005, 03:49 PM
I think we need to upgrade futurize (yeah i know its not a word, you know what I mean!) our LB position. I can see our only big need of the OL is C, as Kemo and Essex should settle in nicely IMO. Our DB's should be fine next year (if we can generate a pass rush)with this year under their belts. Ike is apparently a good secret as all the "experts" keep saying out DB's are the worst in the league. I think WP will be able to better carry the load next year at RB with Duece as the change of pace only because we will be a better passing team with Heath in his second year. I think Morgan, Ward, Wilson (or) ARE will be just fine. Just not the homerun big guy some teams have. We should start opening up the running game with the short passing game and WP will have room to run.

So I guess I am saying get a LB in the first, unless Lendell is available to us, he is too good to pass up, maybe a tall prospect WR in the second, and a C in the third. Dont know much on the draft class this year though so no idea who to pick.

Koopa
12-18-2005, 01:37 AM
the first three rounds i want us to go offense, and i want a running back in the first round cause we have a better chance of keeping him around for along time, cause drafting a wr in the first round for us doesn't seem to work out for us. second round i want a wr, third round a center to groom, fourth some depth for the oline, and 5, 6, and 7 add some depth to the defense. maybe draft a speedster for special teams.

Dook
12-18-2005, 08:46 AM
I couldn't decide between WR and RB in the 1st until I read a supposed insider story about Duce that says he's not hurt at all and is being saved so Bettis can get more carries in his last year.

If it's true we might not draft an RB at all. So I think we will definately get a WR in the 1st.

Prosdo
12-18-2005, 10:10 AM
It's really hard to say. I have been debating between RB or WR first for quite a while. Two guys I would love see see here are LenDale White and Martin Nance. You look at the two areas and both of those positions could use an upgrade. I like our WR corps, but the deep threat that spreads the field is lacking. Martin Nance or even a guy like Hank Baskett could help that out. Then RB. We have a speedy guy with Willie Parker. Duce will he be here next year? Could go either way depending on what the Steelers plan to do. LenDale and Willie would be a very nice 1-2 punch.

Dook
12-18-2005, 10:23 AM
From what I've read Santonio Holmes is really the only WR with true speed but he won't be available at our pick.

WR Martin Nance's is rated high but I think his best asset is playing with Ben in college.

RB Lendale White is only 13 lbs heavier than Haynes and 3 inches taller so is he really an improvement? I can't say for sure.

Either way I doubt we can get both so I'm leaning toward WR Nance now.

Prosdo
12-18-2005, 10:27 AM
I've seen Nance play a few times on TV and through highlights. I really liked what I saw and what I have read about him. LenDale White I can only really go on the draft profiles I have been reading.

Koopa
12-19-2005, 01:00 AM
lendale white is a feature back in this league no matter where he goes, haynes is just a third down somewhat injury prone player so there is no comparison there. and if we were to get lendale, f' a 1-2 punch, that don't work for us, willie says he needs more carries to get into a rythem so a 1-2 punch won't work just like this year. lendale will be the main back and willie can come in on third downs. and i wouldn't want moss anyway, ben has a hard enough time throwing to guys 5-11, even though moss is listed at 5-11 i think they giving him a inch or two cause damn he's short.

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 06:16 AM
Ohio States LB Carpenter is projected to be an NFL pro bowl, most scouts think he`ll be better than his teammate Aj Hawke at the next level.

I want Tamba Hali to fit into our defensive line!

Steel - X
12-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I am not sure on Carpenters injury but AJ Hawk will be better than Carpenter in his NFL career I can almost guarantee that. AJ Hawk would be a great fit inside next to Foote. I would love to see a linebacker in the draft or big Defensive tackle

ShiestyLG
12-19-2005, 03:14 PM
That'll be sweet if the Steelers pull off what Cincy did and draft both Ohio States LB Bobby Carpenter and AJ Hawke with the 1st and 2nd round picks.

ShiestyLG
12-19-2005, 03:26 PM
What do yinz think about the possibilities of drafting a Pitt Panther player? WR Greg Lee is planning on entering the draft and could be a steal as a 5th round selection. MOst draft experts don't have him rated that high and if the Steelers decide to go Def on the first day, he could be a bargain. I don't know if H.B. Blades will enter or not, but he'll be a hell of a pick up for LB.

Either that or take a chance on PSU's Robinson. The switch from QB to WR worked out well for us in the past, don't see that trend breaking anytime soon. I was hoping that they would've draft WVU's Rasheed Marshall in last years draft, but they didn't. Maybe this year they'll draft another QB to WR project to replace their current QB to WR project in El.

LondonSteeler
12-19-2005, 04:13 PM
I am not sure on Carpenters injury but AJ Hawk will be better than Carpenter in his NFL career I can almost guarantee that. AJ Hawk would be a great fit inside next to Foote. I would love to see a linebacker in the draft or big Defensive tackle

we should have taken channing crowder in the 2nd last year IMO, would have been an awesome fit in our system IMO

TasmanianTroy271
12-19-2005, 07:01 PM
What do yinz think about the possibilities of drafting a Pitt Panther player? WR Greg Lee is planning on entering the draft and could be a steal as a 5th round selection. MOst draft experts don't have him rated that high and if the Steelers decide to go Def on the first day, he could be a bargain. I don't know if H.B. Blades will enter or not, but he'll be a hell of a pick up for LB.

Yea, I posted a thread about H.B. Blades and the one place I saw him drafted in a Mock was with the Lions second rounder, so I guess if he falls that far to us, then we'll take him but other than that, I dunno...

ShiestyLG
12-21-2005, 03:14 PM
As much as everyone would like the Steelers to draft a RB on the first day, I highly doubt that they would. I believe the FO is willing to give Duce another shot at the starting back. Duce proved he could be the feature back last year before he was injured. Duce hasn't been heard much this season because of two reasons; 1.) the Willie Parker experiment and 2.) this is JB's last season. Much like the WR position, it all depends on who's coming back next year. If JB decides to return, then we will not draft a RB. If he doesn't, then Duce will get the nod. There's always the possibilities of FA and the Draft, but I don't see them addressing the issue to after next season.

As for the WR position, it all depends on if ARE returns or not. The core group of recievers we have are solid. Granted, we don't have the tandems that Arizona or Detriot has, but if the O-line holds up they get the job done. For instance, the Texans could be a legit playoff team if they had an O-line. It all starts with the O-line. The QB could only do so much. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Ben getting more weapons, but I somehow don't see that being addressed with the first round pick. There are way to many holes to fill on both Def and Off line. Why waste a first round pick on a WR project that won't see legit playing time for another 1-2 years. A first round pick is suppose to come in and make an immediate impact, not sit the bench.

I see the first day of the draft (assuming we recieve a 3rd comp pick for PLex) unfolding as such;

1. LB, DE
2. C
3a. WR, OL
3b. S

I would rather aquire O-line help through FA than the Draft. The draft is for depth, projects and maybe, if lucky, finding a diamond in the rough. I do see the Steelers getting a C through the draft though. That's the only O-line position I would like to see addressed on the first day. We have our franchise QB and now we need another Dawson to protect him. The reason I would like to see the O-line addressed through FA is that we need a veteran player who can come in and get the job done. We have "youth" projects already in Essex and Starks. We seen how Simmons turned out and I don't want that to happen again. Instead of throwing darts at a board and taking a chance, how about a sure-shot instead?

The last few years have been Off positions on the first day. I think this year is going be Def. I guess only time will tell how the draft unfolds.