PDA

View Full Version : No holding back on this issue for Steelers' defense

mesaSteeler
12-19-2008, 07:22 AM
No holding back on this issue for Steelers' defense
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Print/12-18-Steelers-holding-penalties
dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - If it's happened once, it's happened a couple of dozen times.

A Steelers defender slips into the opponent's backfield only to have an offensive player wrap an arm around his neck, as if he's trying to apply a professional wrestling sleeper hold.

And in the past six games, it hasn't resulted in a holding penalty on the offense, a span of 24 quarters.

What gives?

"We don't get held," Hampton said with a growing smirk on his face. "That's the bottom line. They don't hold us.

"(Offensive lines) play their best game against us every week. They just block us so well. They never hold us."

Hampton obviously doesn't believe that and neither do his teammates.

But the fact remains that it's been nearly two months since an offensive line has been called for holding against the Steelers - three were called against the Washington Redskins Nov. 3. During that span, the Steelers (11-3) have been called for offensive holding eight times. Hampton even drew a defensive holding penalty in a game against Dallas earlier this month.

"If they're not calling it, I guess they're not holding us," said linebacker James Harrison, who leads the Steelers with 15 sacks.

"There's nothing we can do about it. If they're not going to call it, then they're not going to call it."

Even with the lack of holding penalties in recent games, Pittsburgh's opponents still have been penalized for it more times than the Steelers (21-19).

The lack of holding calls has been a growing trend in the NFL the past few seasons. There were 881 holding penalties called in the NFL in 2005, when the Steelers won their last Super Bowl. That number fell to 576 in 2006, a decrease of 34 percent.

Holding penalties stayed roughly the same in 2007, but the league is on pace for only 543 such calls this season.

And the offenses have responded by putting up big numbers against everyone but the Steelers. Pittsburgh has given up an NFL-low 192 points and has not allowed an opponent to gain 300 yards in 14 consecutive games. That ties the 1973 Los Angeles Rams for the longest such streak since 1970.

While scoring in the league is up, interceptions are down. Fewer holding penalties equals more time for quarterbacks to scan the field and more time for receivers to get open.

"There's really nothing you can do about it," said linebacker James Farrior. "We talk to the refs about it during the game, 'Watch so and so and so forth.' But if they're not calling it, there's nothing you can do."

Odds and end zones

Defensive end Brett Keisel (knee) made it through his second consecutive practice. Keisel has missed the past three games. ... Safety Ryan Clark (foot), Harrison (foot), safety Troy Polamalu (foot), linebacker LaMarr Woodley (knee) all returned to practice Thursday after sitting out Wednesday. Defensive end Aaron Smith, wide receiver Hines Ward and running back Willie Parker also returned Thursday after sitting out Wednesday because of a coaching decision.

Copyright Observer Publishing Co.

Dino 6 Rings
12-19-2008, 08:06 AM
I wonder if maybe, just maybe, they'll not call illegal hands to the face on D-linemen as well. We should try that...a few hard shoves to the face of the Oline to see if maybe they get the hint that a Neck Wrap isn't legal.

jjpro11
12-19-2008, 08:13 AM
the next time harrison gets held he should come right back on the next play with a deacon jones style head slap and knock that big SOB off his feet.

Dino 6 Rings
12-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Hecks yeah! Bring back the head slap!

mesaSteeler
12-19-2008, 08:27 AM
the next time harrison gets held he should come right back on the next play with a deacon jones style head slap and knock that big SOB off his feet.

Those were the days but in today's NFL the totally corrupt Godell would ban Harrison for life.

DACEB
12-19-2008, 08:53 AM

I wonder if maybe, just maybe, they'll not call illegal hands to the face on D-linemen as well. We should try that...a few hard shoves to the face of the Oline to see if maybe they get the hint that a Neck Wrap isn't legal.

Excellent ideas guys!! Force the refs to call it even!

Seriously, this is to the point that you can't help but think conspiracy theory.

stlrtruck
12-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Hecks yeah! Bring back the head slap!

There was a coworker of mine this morning who said the same thing.

Old school football, now that's real football!

jjpro11
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
According to the article the decrease in holding penalties is league-wide, not just against us. And while I'm against dirty play, I would think that the counter would be to hold their defenses more, not head-slap their o-line.

There's nothing to be done about it. Just go out and win the game despite that. We've earned everything we have in the face of the adversity of a stacked deck. We can beat this too.

its unacceptable because we still get called for holding at least once a game.. usually on big plays. nobody holds against the best pass rush duo in the league? :rofl:

lilyoder6
12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
our def is only number 1.. and the o-line never never has to hold them to help out there qb or rb... number 1 def is boo-boo

austinfrench76
12-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Harrison honestly gets held almost evey play. The Ravens game was the worst in IMO. He came off of the corner and was held at least 10 times! When he gets low and bends around the corner the tackles have no choice though!!!

markymarc
12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I knew the lack of holding calls was crazy, but didn't realize it was this bad. Are you kidding me, 6 games and counting. Sorry but that is total B.S. and unacceptable. Holding goes both ways, but according to the officials we have gotten the past 6 games, not the case. I really expect this bad and horrible trend to continue on Sunday and through the playoffs. Really is a damn shame.