PDA

View Full Version : Steelers set for different Titans' defense

mesaSteeler
12-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Steelers set for different Titans' defense
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_603595.html?source=rss&feed=9#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 19, 2008

Generally this season, the Tennessee Titans have lined up in a 4-3 formation and rushed the quarterback without blitzing. But that could change when the Steelers visit Sunday, as the Titans look to generate pressure without starting linemen Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch are out until the playoffs because of injuries. Between them, they have 13 sacks this season.

"I've had a lot of history with them, and they were a big blitz team for a long time," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Thursday. "They've relied on that front four (this season). Now, with those guys out, you would anticipate more pressure (via the blitz)."

Tennessee has gone with a consistent defensive-line rotation all season. Jason Jones and Dave Ball have replaced Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch at right defensive tackle and right defensive end, respectively. Ball also is listed at backup right tackle. Ball and Jones have combined for six sacks. Left defensive end Jevon Kearse and backup Jacob Ford have combined for 9.5 sacks.

"They're going to miss those guys, but those young kids are playing extremely well," Arians said.

Arians was asked to explain the offense's fourth-quarter success the past two weeks after struggling for the first three quarters in wins over Dallas and Baltimore. Operating in the no-huddle, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger directed a late, 92-yard drive resulting in a touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes to beat the Ravens.

"I think it's just seizing the moment," Arians said. "Our quarterback is extremely comfortable in that situation. It's not like it's usually the first time we go to no-huddle, because we've usually been in it four or five times in a ballgame."

As for generating more offense earlier in games, Arians replied, "We'd definitely like to score more points."

S Ryan Clark (foot), LB James Harrison (foot), S Troy Polamalu (foot) and LB LaMarr Woodley (knee) all returned to practice yesterday, as did RB Willie Parker, DE Aaron Smith and WR Hines Ward, who all missed Wednesday's practice for non-injury related reasons. T Marvel Smith (back) did not practice.

Digits

14 Rushing touchdowns scored by Tennessee's LenDale White this season.

5 Rushing touchdowns allowed by the Steelers this season.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

(Our sucess in the fourth quarter is due to Arians not calling the plays. - mesa)

GridironWarrior
12-19-2008, 09:06 AM
The Titans will still get pressure w/out these 2 because Arians the Oline are garbage.

lilyoder6
12-19-2008, 01:36 PM
i rly rly hope someone lays out white...

also we get 2 play against chris hope!!!

markymarc
12-19-2008, 08:24 PM
"I think it's just seizing the moment," Arians said. "Our quarterback is extremely comfortable in that situation. It's not like it's usually the first time we go to no-huddle, because we've usually been in it four or five times in a ballgame."

As for generating more offense earlier in games, Arians replied, "We'd definitely like to score more points."

Why does Arians even attempt to speak about football. Do us all a favor and not talk to the media. Yea right like we see the no huddle 4 or 5 other times during a game. Here's an idea Arians, if you want to score more points call a better offensive game then. Sounds pretty simple to me.

SteelCityKing
12-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Why does Arians even attempt to speak about football. Do us all a favor and not talk to the media. Yea right like we see the no huddle 4 or 5 other times during a game. Here's an idea Arians, if you want to score more points call a better offensive game then. Sounds pretty simple to me.

haha! is Bruce Arians John Madden's son!? haha!

SteelCityKingsVP
12-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Arians is a bum...BOTTOM LINE

The Duke
12-20-2008, 01:17 AM
I could do a better job than Arians :rolleyes:

Heck, my retarded cousin could do a better job

FIRE THE BUM!!

(sarcasm smiley)

markymarc
12-20-2008, 04:07 PM
haha! is Bruce Arians John Madden's son!? haha!

LOL. At times it does appear that way.