PDA

View Full Version : Defensive coordinator gives definition

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Defensive coordinator gives definition
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 20, 2008

When asked this week to describe his definition of blitzing, Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said that it occurs anytime his top-ranked unit rushes more than four players.

So when outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley rush the quarterback at the same time as the three down-linemen, that's a blitz?

"Absolutely. It's a five-man rush," LeBeau said. "Your basic rush would be four-man. Anything above that (is a blitz)."

Of course, teams never seem to know when or where the Steelers next blitz will come from.

"It's hard to identify our blitzes," LeBeau said. "You won't see a bunch of guys running around with nobody in center field. But we're still coming."

The Steelers are second in the NFL with 47 sacks. Harrison and Woodley have combined for 26.5 sacks, more than half the team's total. Defensive end Aaron Smith is third with 5.5 sacks, linebacker Lawrence Timmons has five sacks and defensive captain James Farrior is fifth with 3.5.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_603761.html

Steelers & I
12-20-2008, 10:04 AM
To the forum members who have basically BASHED the Steelers offensive line all season, keep in mind that FIVE rushing defenders DEFINES A BLITZ!

Just keep that in mind the next time that you feel the need to criticize the Steelers offensive line because they weren't able to pick up 6, 7, and on occasion, EIGHT man blitzes. As I said a few weeks ago, a 5 man offensive line is basically designed to protect against a FOUR man rush.

millwalldavey
12-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I feel the O-line is VASTLY improved since about 1/4 of the way through the year. They still are not the best, but I really think they have gotten much better.

Ricco Suavez
12-20-2008, 10:43 AM
I feel the O-line is VASTLY improved since about 1/4 of the way through the year. They still are not the best, but I really think they have gotten much better.

I also bashed the line but I agree they are much improved since the 1st of the season.

GridironWarrior
12-20-2008, 10:54 AM

Not me. Still can't run the ball. I hope the draft is Oline based.