PDA

View Full Version : With a new line it will reduce Ben's Int's

public - enemy
12-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I know everyone wants to blame Ben and he deserves most of the blame,but what about an offenseive line that can run and pass block. Hopefully, the steelers snag
Jordan Gross from the panthers or any other top free agent lineman, since Marvel
Smith salary comes off the books , I think. I'm hoping they get the best O-lineman
at the bottom of the first round , if not switch with someone to make a deal and let's
fix this o-line, that is the difference between the steelers and number of other teams,the ability to keep the q.b. upright.

steelreserve
12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Don't forget Starks' salary coming off the books. Even if we bring him back, there's no way we'll pay him like Randy Moss again. We'll have $11 million to spend on either Starks and a free agent, or on two free agents. We ought to be able to get at least one badass player, which will help immensely.

Ricco Suavez
12-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I think an improved line ( one that can run block as well as pass protect) will help the offense. We are now passing 40+ times a game now, this is not what Steeler fans are accustomed to. When Ben has to pass that many times it just gives the other defense more chances to sack him and or interception. I would love to see the running game pick up and remove some pressure from our QB. We have a lot of problems, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

kingkulsteel
12-21-2008, 05:17 PM
When does simmons come off?

Steeldude
12-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I know everyone wants to blame Ben and he deserves most of the blame,but what about an offenseive line that can run and pass block. Hopefully, the steelers snag
Jordan Gross from the panthers or any other top free agent lineman, since Marvel
Smith salary comes off the books , I think. I'm hoping they get the best O-lineman
at the bottom of the first round , if not switch with someone to make a deal and let's
fix this o-line, that is the difference between the steelers and number of other teams,the ability to keep the q.b. upright.

BR also needs to learn how to read the field quicker. he consistently holds the ball too long. you can't expect any O-line to provide 6+ seconds of protection.

also, OC and OL coach are not without blame. what kind of plays/routes is arians picking? where are the quick slants? how do 6 titans end up in the steelers' backfield in the blink of an eye?

public - enemy
12-21-2008, 07:54 PM
BR also needs to learn how to read the field quicker. he consistently holds the ball too long. you can't expect any O-line to provide 6+ seconds of protection.

also, OC and OL coach are not without blame. what kind of plays/routes is arians picking? where are the quick slants? how do 6 titans end up in the steelers' backfield in the blink of an eye?

Good point the steelers just re-uped simmons and I DON'T know why, but Ben and
the oline coach has to make adjustments

KeiselPower99
12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Essex Starks Smith Kemoeatu and Colon are all free agents this year. The line will be significantly altered next year. As for the Jordan Gross talk Carolina is in the middle of a great season he aint leaving.We have to make do with what we have but there will(should) be some new faces there.

tony hipchest
12-21-2008, 09:07 PM
a new o-line will come dirt cheap and take absolutely no time to learn the system and gel.

i say we do it!

Roethlisberger Era
12-21-2008, 09:15 PM
There's no doubt that the O-Line is terrible, and it most of the reason for Ben's struggles. However, Ben just can't turn the ball over at the their 1 yard line and in our own territory. With out defense, if we just take care of the ball, we have a great chance to win every game.

GodofGridiron
12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Kemo, Stapleton and Hartwig are the only ones i'd hold over.........everyone else, id bid adieu........or whatever the Frenchmen say.

This upcoming draft is loaded with talented tackles and guards. I fully expect that we'll draft no less than 3 with our 8 picks (3rd rd compensatory pick with Faneca jumping)

GodofGridiron
12-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Bens been given time.......he's provided decent time most of the time by this line. I think the Oline gets too much of a bum rap when Ben gets happy feet. If Ben has time to do all these pump fakes, then that shows he's gettin time.

The Oline is a weak area, but dont put all of it on them. They hold (their blocks) as long as can be expected in this league. Sometimes i swear, Ben reverts to sandlot on most of these pass plays

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2008, 12:09 AM

Very true. When Ben makes a 3 step drop, he either has to throw the ball or accept the sack and that happened a couple times. Good coverage or bad routes/plays?? who knows.

The beef I have is the lack of running game and the kind of plays you run with a single RB backfield. Phil Simms said a few times that those slow draws just dont work with an attacking defense, yet we have gone to that play for 3 weeks with no success.

The line is erractic and gets little push in the run game some times and decent lanes at other times. I saw Stapleton get pushed around, Kemo go matador on a block for a sack, Miller miss a block on Kearse badly and Starks wiffed on his guy on the Ward TD reception that Ben got rolled up on.

The hope of Jordan Gross is a pipe dream. Look to 2nd tier talent in free agency to be realistic. I am ready to see Starks, Smith and Kemo all go and sign another FA tackle and draft both a guard and tackle, then move Colon inside to guard. Stapleton should be the Chukky Okobi of a new generation.....strictly a utility backup.

Crushzilla
12-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Can someone explain the Faneca Comp Pick? Is that even real?

Didn't he leave as an unrestricted FA?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Yeah, basically if you lose a free agent and dont pick one up in return of similar value, then you are awarded a compensatory pick.

Losing Faneca, Haggans and only getting Hartwig should get the Steelers an extra pick. It will be announced at the end of the season I think.

Crushzilla
12-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Interesting.

Thanks, Gonzo.

So we aren't sure if we ARE getting it or we're basically just waiting for it to be official?

The Duke
12-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Kemo had an awful game

Combine that with the fact he's been average most of the season he's not going to get much in the FA market after all

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Kemo had an awful game

Combine that with the fact he's been average most of the season he's not going to get much in the FA market after all

Stapleton didnt have any better of a game and neither did Starks. Again, I hope we let Starks, Smith, Kemo walk and move Colon inside. Could tender Kemo a minor offer and keep him until replaced by a rookie, but without knowing who we draft....I would rather see this next season.

LT- free agent (like John St. Clair or even Tra Thomas)
LG-Colon
C- Hartwig
RG- Simmons
RT- Tony Hills

I'm also hoping we draft an OT and OG high to compete for a starting spot.

The Duke
12-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Stapleton didnt have any better of a game and neither did Starks. Again, I hope we let Starks, Smith, Kemo walk and move Colon inside. Could tender Kemo a minor offer and keep him until replaced by a rookie, but without knowing who we draft....I would rather see this next season.

LT- free agent (like John St. Clair or even Tra Thomas)
LG-Colon
C- Hartwig
RG- Simmons
RT- Tony Hills

I'm also hoping we draft an OT and OG high to compete for a starting spot.

Seems weird that colon may be the best out of all those players huh? I've never liked him and his penalties suck, but he's not a bad run blocker.

Just move him inside already!!

I'm convinced that kemo smith and starks won't be back. If anything they keep one, probably as backup. And kemo has the best upside of the three

Essex could also stay though. As for stapleton, reliable backup is what he seems to me

Can't wait till ben has real linemen

jjpro11
12-22-2008, 01:14 AM
i cant see kemo leaving.. he will come cheap and knows the system. theres only so many linemen you can let go in one season and we are short on depth as it is.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-22-2008, 01:39 AM
I hate Colon! He's an automatic false start and holding penalty a game!

Hartwig has been decent as the teams center, but he's not the long-term answer.

Our offensive line went to hell in a handbasket faster than anyone thought.

It all started when Hartings retired, he was the glue of our offensive line.

Losing Faneca was a bigger loss than I expected it to be.

Hartwig is not that bad, IMHO. But he damn sure aint the future at center though, just another stopgap.

Colon is garbage. I dont want him at RT or Gaurd. I want him GONE.

Smith was at least a servicable LT, but now he's got major back problems that will probally be with him for the rest of his life. He's gone after this season.

Simmons got that achillies injury, and he wasn't doing that great to begin with, but he's better than Stapelton. However Stapelton is a servicable backup who can play gaurd and center if needed.

Starks, he's pretty much a low-rate tackle. Didn't deserve the money we gave him this season. For goodness sakes, when you get beat out by Colon you know you're not that good.

I want us to get a gaurd, center, and tackle in the draft.

I would really like to get Alex Mack of Cal, Max Unger of Oregon, or Shipley out of Penn State to play Center. They can sit behind Hartwig their rookie years and learn the blocking system and the line calls.

As for Tackle, I don't see us getting any of the really tip-top prospects like Michael Oher of Ole Miss, Eugene Monroe of Virginia, or Andre Smith of Alabama. I would love to get Phil Loadholt from Oklahoma or Ciron Black from LSU.

As for gaurd, Andy Levitre from Oregon State or Herman Johnson of LSU both intrugue me for some reason. Duke Robinson from Oklahoma would be ecxellent, but I think he's gone before we pick in the first round.

I don't see us spending a ton of cash on a free agent offensive lineman. Hell, I don't even know who's gonna be available.

NYC SteelersFan
12-22-2008, 02:58 AM
An over abundance of pass plays on 3rd and short is the reason for most of Roethlisberger's INT's.

14 INT's
subtract 3 garbage time INT's, one at the end of todays game, one at the end of the Colt's game and one at the end of the Giant's game.

11 INT's
subtract 1 for the INT that hit Washington right in the numbers and popped out for an INT in the Giants game.

10 INT's
subtract the 4 interceptions that have come on 3rd and short.

6 INT's for the year.

augustashark
12-22-2008, 03:11 AM
An over abundance of pass plays on 3rd and short is the reason for most of Roethlisberger's INT's.

14 INT's
subtract 3 garbage time INT's, one at the end of todays game, one at the end of the Colt's game and one at the end of the Giant's game.

11 INT's
subtract 1 for the INT that hit Washington right in the numbers and popped out for an INT in the Giants game.

10 INT's
subtract the 4 interceptions that have come on 3rd and short.

6 INT's for the year.

Yep, Bens 1st INT came on 3rd and 2 and ben tried to throw a 17-20 yard pass. Now I know that you are going to say that the reason is that "Willie sucks" and that we don't have the run game to pick up that two yards. I Call BS. Look back to last year and the MO of Arains. Also if you look back at that play Moore was open by more then ten yards on a swing pattern, but Ben either did'nt see him (which I would call bs, because Ben knows where all his receivers are at on any given play) or was just trying to make a big play when all we needed was 2 freaking yards!

eafratitpm3
12-22-2008, 05:47 AM
I think an offensive line that can do one or the other would be a step up at this point.

markymarc
12-22-2008, 06:22 AM
There are 2 things that need to happen in the off season to fix our offensive struggles. Fire Bruce Arians and get OL players in the draft and FA.