PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' unsportmanlike conduct?

SteelersMongol
12-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Couldn't watch the game because, NFL.COM's site was unbelievably messed up & slow. :banging: So when I was watching the highlights, the commentator was talking about someone from our team made unsportsmanlike conduct that hurt was pretty bad. Who was it & how did it happen?

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Chris Hoke simulated the snap count during a field goal attempt.

Hapa
12-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Silly boy

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Chris Hoke simulated the snap count during a field goal attempt.

I didn't know you couldn't do that. Pretty lame...

steel9guy
12-22-2008, 12:09 AM
thats a really dumb rule. IT"S FOOTBALL this is a pansy league!

fordfan485
12-22-2008, 01:03 AM
call me a n00b I never played organized football but how do you "simulate" a snap count? Was he just randomly shouting "hut...hut...hut" or something to that extent?

Rek
12-22-2008, 01:09 AM
call me a n00b I never played organized football but how do you "simulate" a snap count? Was he just randomly shouting "hut...hut...hut" or something to that extent?

I remember the Jets/Ravens game last year and the Ratbirds were all pissy because the Jets D would should out signals and numbers to try and distract and throw off the play count. I'm sure that's the gist of what went on today. The real question is why would someone do that? You'd obviously have to yell it pretty loud to make any impact and the refs are standing right there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Its a bush league thing to do and a costly mental mistake.

If you are out on the edge or playing OT and somebody fasely calls out the snap count from inside, it can cause a procedure call by mistake. It is a penalty and should be.

Crushzilla
12-22-2008, 01:18 AM
I remember the Jets/Ravens game last year and the Ratbirds were all pissy because the Jets D would should out signals and numbers to try and distract and throw off the play count. I'm sure that's the gist of what went on today. The real question is why would someone do that? You'd obviously have to yell it pretty loud to make any impact and the refs are standing right there.

Ya. It would seem undisciplined...

A FG there was really the best case scenario. Why would you chance giving them an automatic first down.

If I remember correctly that would have kept us within one score.

Maybe the offense would have approached the drive a little differently knowing they only needed a single touchdown to (if I remember) take a one point lead.

Seems odd. Hokey's a solid guy.

Then again... I may have my chronology all mixed up.

eafratitpm3
12-22-2008, 01:42 AM
It should have never even come to that, if you remember right (you Member) we gave up a 3rd and 20, that IMO was the turning point of the game no question about it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2008, 01:51 AM
It should have never even come to that, if you remember right (you Member) we gave up a 3rd and 20, that IMO was the turning point of the game no question about it.

3 seconds before that play I was saying...."at least rush 4 player, but dont just send 3". So they rush 3 and give Collins time to find a guy 20 yards downfield. .:banging:

jjpro11
12-22-2008, 02:12 AM
was it hoke for sure? i never saw anyone get named.. but, yeah.. that was the worst place to do it. 5 yards wasnt going to make him miss the field goal.. it was already a chip shot.

lambertlunaticfan
12-22-2008, 03:59 AM
come on guys we are better than that,we dont have to resort to bush league tactics like that,stubid plain and simple to do that:frustrate

Crushzilla
12-22-2008, 04:04 AM

Right. I agree that it was brutal. Collins did it a few times. He just dropped it right into those pockets in the zone defense. About fifteen yards deep along the sideline was going to be available. They stopped them, though. Was that right before the "never-happened-field-goal?"

Ya it was ridiculously close to being a first down, but they still held them... kind of...

A field goal was an alright resolution there, and they took a stupid penatly.

BubbyBrister
12-22-2008, 08:11 AM
was it hoke for sure? i never saw anyone get named.. but, yeah.. that was the worst place to do it. 5 yards wasnt going to make him miss the field goal.. it was already a chip shot.

i thought dve postgame said that it was james harrison. i could be wrong.

FacemeIke
12-22-2008, 10:38 AM
The refs mic wasnt working, but I thought he pointed at Aaron Smith initially. Anyways, I think its odd that whoever did it, would choose that play to try to simulate the count. Even if the Titans did get a procedure penelty, its still a chip shot FG.

Hammer Of The GODS
12-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Until a Steeler admits he did it I wont believe it even happened.

The ref that made the call was BEHIND the dline. How the hell does he know who said hut? After the whole stomping on the terrible towel I don't put it past the titans to have told the ref to listen for the d yelling hut and setting them up by saying hut themselves!

I smell a rat!

RICK-THE-NFL-FAN
12-22-2008, 11:28 AM
The refs mic wasnt working, but I thought he pointed at Aaron Smith initially. Anyways, I think its odd that whoever did it, would choose that play to try to simulate the count. Even if the Titans did get a procedure penelty, its still a chip shot FG.

What if the snapper snapped the ball before the kicker was ready .Which in return would give the chance for the steelers to blow up the play and turn over the ball without any points from the titans. That was the idea from the steelers but it backfired.

St33lersguy
12-22-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't understand how that's a penalty.

brick
12-22-2008, 05:18 PM
yea I was wondering myself who actually did it. I thought the initial call was on Harrison, but the ref's mic wasn't working for half the game so I have no idea what he actually said. such a dumb penalty to give up, and honestly with a d as solid as ours we should be the last team to have to resort to something like that.

Hapa
12-22-2008, 05:25 PM
That was so frickin stupid. Even if the other team false started, it would only be 5 yards and they'd make the field goal anyway.

Former Steeler
02-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I had been a Steelers fan since watching them in the 70's, but I've never seen such useless BS moves than I saw in the Super Bowl. The Steelers have always been a class act organization? What happened? Harrison and Taylor. Great players, but classless.

stillers4me
02-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I had been a Steelers fan since watching them in the 70's, but I've never seen such useless BS moves than I saw in the Super Bowl. The Steelers have always been a class act organization? What happened? Harrison and Taylor. Great players, but classless.

Wow.......the Steelers just won their 6th world Championship and you pull up this old thread for your first post? :doh:

Let the trolling begin.

fansince'76
02-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Yeah, I'll bet. :troll:

:coffee:

SuperSteelers
02-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Did you see Harrison get hit in the groin before he drew that penalty?? Why would you hit someone like Harrison in the groin?

Former Steeler
02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I didn't see the groin hit. Sorry I really wasn't trying to stir things up. I just saw some bad conduct on the Steelers part during the Super Bowl and didn't like it. I also didn't realize this was an old thread until you pointed it out. Sorry!

The Steelers won the game fair and square; they were penalized when they should have been penalized and still won. I was just taken a back by some of the things I saw. That's all. I won't bring it up again.

The Steelers were my second pick for the AFC to head to the Bowl. Hats off to the team.