PDA

View Full Version : Staying Humble

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2008, 08:30 AM
I had to get off the board last night after I started to read all the doom and gloom hateful posts (willie sux) (ben sux) (coaches suck) (defense sux) (kicker sux)

And I had to remember, there have been worse losses.

1984 Lost to the Dolphins in the AFC title game
1994 Lost to the Chargers in the AFC title game
1995 Lost to the Cowboys in the Super Bowl
1997 Lost to the Broncos in the AFC title game
2001 Lost to the Patriots in the AFC title game
2004 Lost to the Patriots in the AFC title game

We've lost plenty of playoff games as well, including to the Jags last year, but those title games are the ones I remember most keenly.

We lost a game yesterday. But we didn't lose one of the above games yesterday.

Refocus. Reload. Prepare. and Kick Some Mother Effing ASSSS!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

RoethlisBURGHer
12-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Good point.

Only one team has had a perfect season, the Dolphins in I think it was 1972.

The Patriots lost last year in the one game they couldn't afford to lose, the Super Bowl.

I don't expect to go undefeated every year. I expect a playoff berth, preferably via a division title.

We got that this year and more, we got a bye week and a home game for the divisional round.

So I totally agree with Dino. It's time to reload and make a run at a record sixth Lombardi Trophy.

XxKnightxX
12-22-2008, 09:24 AM
I had to get off the board last night after I started to read all the doom and gloom hateful posts (willie sux) (ben sux) (coaches suck) (defense sux) (kicker sux)

1884 Lost to the Dolphins in the AFC title game

We've lost plenty of playoff games as well, including to the Jags last year, but those title games are the ones I remember most keenly.

Man that was a loooong time ago lol:chuckle:

HometownGal
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM

1884 Lost to the Dolphins in the AFC title game

AMEN Dino! :drink:

What torques me off the most is that so many Steelers "fans" feel that it is a God given right for the Steelers to get to and win the Super Bowl every single season and that is totally unrealistic. I'd love to know what they're smokin'.

Though there are obviously some issues within the O that need addressed before the playoffs, I'm going to do what I've done all season and quite frankly, all of my life - believing in this team and supporting them through thick and thin. :tt::tt02:

No - I'm not a cheerleader. I'm just a diehard Steelers fan.

The_WARDen
12-22-2008, 09:54 AM
WOOOO!!!!!!

Ignore the warts!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

fansince'76
12-22-2008, 09:55 AM
WOOOO!!!!!!

Ignore the warts!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

How old are you? 12? :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Same warts the Giants had last year, the same warts the Colts had on defense the year before, the same warts we had the year we won it all. Those warts?

Once you're in the dance, anything is possible, and we are in the playoffs.

OneForTheToe
12-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Yea, that 1884 loss was brutal. If I remember correctly, after that loss, the Steelers tried to lure Joe Pa away from Penn State for the first time.:wink02::wave:

Seriously, your point is well taken.:tt02:

fansince'76
12-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Same warts the Giants had last year, the same warts the Colts had on defense the year before, the same warts we had the year we won it all. Those warts?

Once you're in the dance, anything is possible, and we are in the playoffs.

No, dammit! I'm a Steelers fan, and they owe me a SB win every year, and dammit, if I don't get it, I'm gonna hold my bweath 'til I turn bwue and act like a complete jackass!

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2008, 10:03 AM
I fixed the 1984 loss.

I remember that game. It was one of the first losses I had to deal with as a kid. I was 11 years old then, you always remember those heart breakers. Marino killed us.

TackleMeBen
12-22-2008, 10:04 AM
What torques me off the most is that so many Steelers "fans" feel that it is a God given right for the Steelers to get to and win the Super Bowl every single season and that is totally unrealistic. I'd love to know what they're smokin'.

i thought that was the right of a pats fan..lol...they cheat their way to a superbowl

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2008, 10:07 AM
No, dammit! I'm a Steelers fan, and they owe me a SB win every year, and dammit, if I don't get it, I'm gonna hold my bweath 'til I turn bwue!

Well Ben does owe me 3 more rings, and I do believe that we are capable of winning the SB every year. but that's only because we never have back to back losing seasons and always have a great team year in and year out.

Could be much worse. How puckered are Broncos fans today?

Or how about Jets fans?

Cardinals? Way to show up.

Cowboys? If they aren't Jeckle and Hyde, geesh.

Chargers? gasping for breath

Patriots...need help! Nuff Said.

Jags? One hit wonder much?

Eagles? Bears? doing lots of math today aren't they.

I'm fine with this loss. Its all good for me. There was plenty wrong on all sides of the ball yesterday in every phase of the game all day. To go up 14-10 and lose 31-14, many things had to go wrong.

BlastFurnace
12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
I fixed the 1984 loss.

I remember that game. It was one of the first losses I had to deal with as a kid. I was 11 years old then, you always remember those heart breakers. Marino killed us.

Mark Malone vs a young Dan Marino.

The only thing Malone would have won in that game was a 40 yard dash.

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2008, 10:40 AM

Mark had over 300 yards passing and like 3 tds or something....problem was Marino had 500 yards passing and 5 tds or more...I'd need to look up the stats to be positive.

shevdog
12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Dino 5 Rings, very well stated. Yes, a tough loss, yet not one that tombstoned our #6 Super Bowl run.

Tis good to get out all the post-game frustration, then move on!

revefsreleets
12-22-2008, 11:08 AM
I had a feeling we were not going to win this one. Titans were at home, they came off a surprising loss to the lowly Texans, and we were due for a hangover game.

Knowing all that, I stayed FAR far away from this board yesterday.

LambertIsGod58
12-22-2008, 11:10 AM

1984 Lost to the Dolphins in the AFC title game

Boy, don't put yourself on a limb like that.... Of course yesterday's loss wasn't as bad as the others you've listed. THEY WERE ALL PLAYOFF GAMES!

OneForTheToe
12-22-2008, 11:17 AM

Unless he got a call from his agent about his TV gig at channel 11 that he just has to take.:doh: Or, maybe if his hair got mussed up and he needed to stop and make an appointment to have it fluffed?

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Boy, don't put yourself on a limb like that.... Of course yesterday's loss wasn't as bad as the others you've listed. THEY WERE ALL PLAYOFF GAMES!

Just putting it all in perspective.

BlastFurnace
12-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Mark had over 300 yards passing and like 3 tds or something....problem was Marino had 500 yards passing and 5 tds or more...I'd need to look up the stats to be positive.

His stats were surpsisingly not bad. I thought the Steelers might have a chance with that long TD pass to Stallworth, but Marino just torched every blitz we threw at him.

That was one long afternoon.

BlastFurnace
12-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Usually, losses eat at me. Yesterday's did not.

I think we have proven that we have a very good team capable of beating anyone. One loss does not doom the season. We have bigger fish to frye this year than yesterday's game. I KNOW that Tomlin will not let this team lose focus over one loss.

Guys...this has been a great season so far. We need to enjoy this ride. We have a 1st Round Bye...and we aren't hoping for someone to lose in the last weeks of the season...something we haven't had since 2004.

Let's enjoy it!!!!!!!!