PDA

View Full Version : want your cake and to eat it too?

tony hipchest
12-22-2008, 11:56 PM
theres this little thing called the salary cap.

you can have the best offensive line in the league... or you can have the leagues best defense.

you cant have both. when will all the "woe is our o-line" whiners figure this out?

faneca is gone. we keep troy and ben. fair trade if you ask me.

we can shitcan smith, simmons, and starks in this offseason and clear plenty of caproom to not only sign much more important players, but to start rebuilding our line from scrap.

thats next year. this year, i am going to worry about this year.

markymarc
12-23-2008, 07:09 AM
I actually believe this will be a very important off season for Tomlin. I want to see how he handles Arians, LZ and if we finally address the OL through the draft and FA. And while he is at it, bring back a real FB.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-23-2008, 07:58 AM
I actually believe this will be a very important off season for Tomlin. I want to see how he handles Arians, LZ and if we finally address the OL through the draft and FA. And while he is at it, bring back a real FB.

We can't be blaming Tomlin for the line. It was shitty when he got here, and none of us know how much if any influence he has in the draft. In the end, draft picks and player signing are up to Kevin Colbert, our General Manager.

As for how he handles Arians, I think he's gonna boot Arians sorry play calling ass after this season. Hopefully the OC that gets hired utilizes a lead blocking fullback in the running game.

HometownGal
12-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Me no want cake, hipcheese. Me want . . . .

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

:chuckle: :wink02:

I get what you're saying here, Tony, and I have to agree. I've been B & Ming all season about the OL but you're right - to keep the "gold", you've got to hang on to the "costume jewelry" until the time is right to dispose of it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Me no want cake, hipcheese. Me want . . . .

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

....Cheesecake?:noidea:

The_WARDen
12-23-2008, 09:05 AM
theres this little thing called the salary cap.

you can have the best offensive line in the league... or you can have the leagues best defense.

you cant have both. when will all the "woe is our o-line" whiners figure this out?

faneca is gone. we keep troy and ben. fair trade if you ask me.

we can shitcan smith, simmons, and starks in this offseason and clear plenty of caproom to not only sign much more important players, but to start rebuilding our line from scrap.

thats next year. this year, i am going to worry about this year.

actually, I'd like chocolate icing on my cake please! Oh, and I don't like the end piece.
Thanks!

steelreserve
12-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Well, next year we can. Or at least we can keep the same defense and have a pretty good line by reallocating hte money we're giving to Smith and Garbage Can Starks.

But yeah ... for now, this is pretty much what we're gonna get. I hope it's good enough, is all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2008, 12:05 PM
actually, I'd like chocolate icing on my cake please! Oh, and I don't like the end piece.
Thanks!
Mmmmm .....chocolate. :drool: I'll take the end piece, it has more icing on it!!

tony hipchest
12-23-2008, 12:09 PM
it is unfortunate we dont have a young vincent and ross to step in like we did in 04.

losing marvel, simmons, mendenhall, and to an extent willie, has hurt. also add a new center and losing faneca, and there are reasonable excuses to why our running game and blocking are bad.

plus in 04 we had a healthy jerome as a backup for an injured staley.

we'll get there. its just gonna take time and $$$$. weve done damn good with what we got to this point.

im gonna enjoy the ride and roll with the punches if they happen to come. if that means an early playoff exit, then so be it.

i wont like it, but i will undertand it.

personally i think were going to the superbowl. :tt02:

steelreserve
12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
losing marvel, simmons, mendenhall, and to an extent willie, has hurt. also add a new center and losing faneca, and there are reasonable excuses to why our running game and blocking are bad.

You forgot one more thing: Not enough fleaflickers!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2008, 12:17 PM
it is unfortunate we dont have a young vincent and ross to step in like we did in 04.

plus in 04 we had a healthy jerome as a backup for an injured staley.

we'll get there. its just gonna take time and $$$$. weve done damn good with what we got to this point.

im gonna enjoy the ride and roll with the punches if they happen to come. if that means an early playoff exit, then so be it.

i wont like it, but i will undertand it.

personally i think were going to the superbowl. :tt02:

Lets not forget that our field position is drastically changed by having an injured Sepulveda.

tony hipchest
12-23-2008, 12:18 PM
You forgot one more thing: Not enough fleaflickers!:doh: yes, we lost mularkey (who is doing a fine job with the falcons this year- even heard him mentionned as a possible HC candidate again)

brick
12-23-2008, 12:37 PM
yea its a good point and something that we all have to remember when we're screaming at the offense. but even with the cap, i think we could have put together a much much better o-line, but it was always gonna be harder with the injuries and losing faneca. i think tomlin will definitely address it in the off season.