PDA

View Full Version : The "I told you fans".

augustashark
12-23-2008, 04:37 AM
If we don't win it all this year, there will be so many "I told you so" threads that the mods will be on OT. Well I guess OT is not so bad in this bad economy.:chuckle:

The problem is that we all know already that the Oline needs retooling and could be our down fall during the playoffs, but those select few will scream the loudest about how they "knew" it was going to happen.

I tend to think you dance with who you brought and give 100% and if thats not enough then you go back to the drawing board and start over for the next year.

Lets all just be faithful Steeler fans and root our team on no matter what the outcome. If it's not the SB, sure I as well as many will be upset but we need to remember that arm chair QB is just that. A 300lb fan in his recliner is not the coach nor does he know what goes on inside the team and acting like you do know just shows how stupid you really are.

Funny, I never knew there were so many head coaches in accounting.:laughing:

DoctorCAD
12-23-2008, 07:56 AM
"The problem is that we all know already that the Oline needs retooling..."

Retooling with a Sawzall!

The_WARDen
12-23-2008, 08:03 AM
and if they win it all, the pom pom brigade will be out in full force claiming that they are better fans...

Your point?

:coffee:

fansince'76
12-23-2008, 08:57 AM
and if they win it all, the pom pom brigade will be out in full force claiming that they are better fans...

Your point?

Beats a bunch of doom and gloom hypocrites that would come back and say "I knew they were gonna do it all along." :coffee:

The_WARDen
12-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Beats a bunch of doom and gloom hypocrites that would come back and say "I knew they were gonna do it all along." :coffee:

:cheer::cheer:

fansince'76
12-23-2008, 08:59 AM
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

chatman
12-23-2008, 09:26 AM
colon is really useless but i dont agree there is anything wrong with the others that an average nfl line coach couldnt fix--but along with that we need realisticly designed running plays--have you watched any of them lately--they seem to totally disregard backside pursuit--no blocking angles--no fullback--rarely do we pull the guard fo a trap or lead--just watch the design of the plays --im sure an eightth grade pop warner coach could do much better--check some of our running plays before tomlin--the play tenn scored on was our old bread and butter counter pitch we always used with bettis many many times

X-Terminator
12-23-2008, 10:41 AM

Your point?

I think at that point, nobody will care about anything other than the Steelers hoisted Lombardi #6. Winning it all, cures all.

steelreserve
12-23-2008, 10:52 AM
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT NEGATIVE THREADMAKING AGAIN??? OMG THATS ALREADY BEEN BROUGHT UP A MILLION TIMES JUST LET IT DIE! WHY ARE WE STILL BEATING THIS DEAD HORSE

The_WARDen
12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
I think at that point, nobody will care about anything other than the Steelers hoisted Lombardi #6. Winning it all, cures all.

and that is all any Steeler fan should want. I really don't care how they get there at this point. They can win ugly, win pretty...but just win!

:tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Its a matter of being a Negative Nancy vs a Blind Homer I guess.

When we won in 2005, we had problems with the team, which was apparent the following season. We had problems in 2004 as well, there was a lot of questions as to whether or not we could win without Plex, or how would we recover from another AFC Title game loss.

There is always a down side, but there is also, always a bright side.

it really depends on your personal taste and personality type on which side you fall.

Of coarse there are also the middle of the road moderate fans that see the faults, but don't really point them out, and see the greatness without glorifying it, and just simply cheer on their team.

I'm clearly a Blind Homer. I don't hide, or deny it. I'm a fan of every player on the team, even though I think Washington drops too many passes, I scream my head off when he does, because I care. I want him to be successful. Just as I want Ben to be successful, Willie to be successful, Colon to be successful, and all of them, the entire team, each player, even Berger, to be successful.

Yep, I'm a Total Blind Homer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2008, 11:11 AM
TASTES GREAT!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2008, 11:15 AM

I prefer to think of it as objective. I said before the season that our lack of a FB and inability to get short yardage when needed would not be solved this year with the aquisition of Billy Latsko at FB. looks correct.

I also said that Brett Keisel gets no push on the d-line and is mostly absorbed by the blocker. He is a downgrade from Kemo Von Olhoffen. I stand corrected and think Keisel has played well when healthy.

I proudly will stand up as an "I told you.... fan". But I will tell you no matter if I was right or wrong, which some on this board cannot pull themselves to do.

No matter what, I am a Steeler fan and have been for 30 years. Some of the young guns on this board should count their blessings that they have never had to sit thru the Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Kent Graham, Mike Tomczak games and be happy that #7 is playing....good or bad.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Dude...Less Filling for sure!

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I prefer to think of it as objective.

Oh, I'm not Objective at all. So that puts me as a Blind Homer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I prefer to think of it as objective. I said before the season that our lack of a FB and inability to get short yardage when needed would not be solved this year with the aquisition of Billy Latsko at FB. looks correct.

I also said that Brett Keisel gets no push on the d-line and is mostly absorbed by the blocker. He is a downgrade from Kemo Von Olhoffen. I stand corrected and think Keisel has played well when healthy.

I proudly will stand up as an "I told you.... fan". But I will tell you no matter if I was right or wrong, which some on this board cannot pull themselves to do.

No matter what, I am a Steeler fan and have been for 30 years. Some of the young guns on this board should count their blessings that they have never had to sit thru the Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Kent Graham, Mike Tomczak games and be happy that #7 is playing....good or bad.

Good point....bad memories!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Dude...Less Filling for sure!

Right Field Sucks.....Right Field Sucks!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh, I'm not Objective at all. So that puts me as a Blind Homer.

No, I never meant that. I just dont feel that I am a negative nancy or a blind homer. I think you are objective and an educated steeler fan.

Oddly enough I think it was TNWEMAN41, the cowboy fan that said something like...." being a homer is fine, but it should never get in the way of when right is right."

Its the ones that come in after a loss or close win and say things like "Colon wasnt touched by anybody and fell on his ass on the goalline" Yet, after reviewing the play and 3 other posters say that Colon did his job blocking on the DT, not falling down untouched......those fans disappear into the woodwork. That is the kind of "negative Nancy", lack of objectivity that I am talking about.

The_WARDen
12-23-2008, 01:25 PM

When we won in 2005, we had problems with the team, which was apparent the following season. We had problems in 2004 as well, there was a lot of questions as to whether or not we could win without Plex, or how would we recover from another AFC Title game loss.

There is always a down side, but there is also, always a bright side.

it really depends on your personal taste and personality type on which side you fall.

Of coarse there are also the middle of the road moderate fans that see the faults, but don't really point them out, and see the greatness without glorifying it, and just simply cheer on their team.

I'm clearly a Blind Homer. I don't hide, or deny it. I'm a fan of every player on the team, even though I think Washington drops too many passes, I scream my head off when he does, because I care. I want him to be successful. Just as I want Ben to be successful, Willie to be successful, Colon to be successful, and all of them, the entire team, each player, even Berger, to be successful.

Yep, I'm a Total Blind Homer.

and that's why I bitch and complain and get ulcers watching this team week in and week out because I care also.. I bitch when Ben stinks up the joint because I see the potential. I bitch about the Oline because, well, okay because they suck!
:chuckle:

The AFC is wide open this year and if the offense would just take their collective heads out of their backsides, I think they could actually win this thing.

Actually, this week has pushed me towards the thing I don't want to be...a fan police. Every thread becomes a Ben sucks thread (actually, Lambert Is God just hijacks it) or FWP sucks thread.

I

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2008, 02:56 PM

Yep. Can't stand those fans

Your point?

They will not have been better fans. People like you, me, and all of the rest of our brethren who actually STOOD BEHIND the team are the only one's who can claim that. Because fans like us, stand behind the team NO MATTER HOW GOOD OR BAD THE CIRCUMSTANCES ARE.

Winning is a great medicine.

markymarc
12-24-2008, 06:15 AM
There is nothing wrong with being objective. No matter if you are a blind homer, objective or even very critical the only thing that matters is your passion for the Steelers!

LambertIsGod58
12-24-2008, 08:39 AM
There is nothing wrong with being objective. No matter if you are a blind homer, objective or even very critical the only thing that matters is your passion for the Steelers!

well said Marc!:drink:

Hammer67
12-24-2008, 08:44 AM
:cheer::cheer:

I said it in another thread...but for all you gloom and doomers (over a 2nd seed playoff team, for CHrist's sake!), be thankful you do not cheer for the Detroit Lions.

Some of my coworkers are amazed that there are fans unhappy with anything about the Steelers. All teams need help in areas...some more then others.

HometownGal
12-24-2008, 08:47 AM
If we don't win it all this year, there will be so many "I told you so" threads that the mods will be on OT. Well I guess OT is not so bad in this bad economy.:chuckle:

The problem is that we all know already that the Oline needs retooling and could be our down fall during the playoffs, but those select few will scream the loudest about how they "knew" it was going to happen.

I tend to think you dance with who you brought and give 100% and if thats not enough then you go back to the drawing board and start over for the next year.

Lets all just be faithful Steeler fans and root our team on no matter what the outcome. If it's not the SB, sure I as well as many will be upset but we need to remember that arm chair QB is just that. A 300lb fan in his recliner is not the coach nor does he know what goes on inside the team and acting like you do know just shows how stupid you really are.

Funny, I never knew there were so many head coaches in accounting.:laughing:

Damn you, augusta - don't you know by now that it is a God-mandated edict that the Steelers win the Super Bowl every season? :doh::banging::wink02:

I'm not going to tell anyone I told you so, as I will freely admit that I didn't think the Steelers would be in this position at the start of the season, but I am grateful and absolutely ecstatic that they are! :tt02::applaudit: We as Steelers fans are truly blessed that we've had the honor and PRIVILEGE of a winning tradition that spans 35+ seasons (with a few bumps along the way). :tt03:

I wear my cheerleader tag proudly because this is a die-hard Steelers fan that proudly stands by the team she loves through thick and thin! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Hammer67
12-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Well said...I see a lot of barking from those of the Later Cowher era, and I think they have much less perspective based on experience.

revefsreleets
12-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I agree completely. The "lean 80's" definitely seperated the bandwaggoners from us real fans.

fansince'76
12-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I agree completely. The "lean 80's" definitely seperated the bandwaggoners from us real fans.

Yep, the '80s were depressing as a Steelers fan - even the odd years when we made the playoffs. It's not much fun seeing your team go to the playoffs when you KNOW it has no realistic chance of doing anything when it gets there. Getting thumped by the Raiders in the '83 playoffs and shredded by Marino in the '84 playoffs was sickening to watch.

DACEB
12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I hope and aspire to one day be a 'real fan' also.

fansince'76
12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I hope and aspire to one day be a 'real fan' also.

You deny that this team has a very sizable bandwagon due to its success? Sorry, but it does.

DACEB
12-24-2008, 10:40 AM
You deny that this team has a very sizable bandwagon due to its success? Sorry, but it does.

Do you deny that many of those so called bandwagon fans are the same fans that we see on TV sporting the B&G and waving the terrible towels in other teams stadiums. That makes you proud doesn't it, seeing the ton of support this team shares. I wonder if many of those fans know that in fact they are underserving, according to some.

MACH1
Yep..The 80's were a tough time. I just about threw up after that Miami game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
Yep, the '80s were depressing as a Steelers fan - . You know, I think for me back then, ignorance was bliss. I had only started playing the game and didnt understand all the subtle nuances of the game like I do now.

Even if we lost games in the 80's I really enjoyed some of the guys like Frank Pollard, Robin Cole, Mike Merriweather, etc play hard nosed Steeler football. Even if the Steelers lost, the opponent knew they were in a fight and that for me was so much fun to watch.

DACEB
12-24-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm not going to tell anyone I told you so, as I will freely admit that I didn't think the Steelers would be in this position at the start of the season

Shame on you HTG, you negative nancy:wink02:

fansince'76
12-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Do you deny that many of those so called bandwagon fans are the same fans that we see on TV sporting the B&G and waving the terrible towels in other teams stadiums. That makes you proud doesn't it, seeing the ton of support this team shares. I wonder if many of those fans know that in fact they are underserving, according to some.

Yes I do - I consider "bandwagon fans" to be the ones who won't go to that extent to support the team. I guess it's all in how you define the term. I consider a bandwagon fan to be one that will support one team for a year or two, maybe even 3 or 4, and then switch allegiances to a "more successful" team when they lose patience.

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes I do - I consider "bandwagon fans" to be the ones who won't go to that extent to support the team. I guess it's all in how you define the term. I consider a bandwagon fan to be one that will support one team for a year or two, maybe even 3 or 4, and then switch allegiances to a "more successful" team when they lose patience.

I consider bandwagoners fans that just turn their back on the team even after 1 loss.

fansince'76
12-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I consider bandwagoners fans that just turn their back on the team even after 1 loss.

I remember a while back someone said in so many words, "screw it, I'm tired of this team coming up short, I'm gonna go root for the Chargers" when the Chargers went 14-2 a couple of years ago. THAT is a bandwagoner.

DACEB
12-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Its all good fan'76, it's just that term has been tossed around to describe many posters here who are clearly not bandwagon fans.

Not everyone sits quietly by watching the team win or lose. Many fans are boisterous, loud, excited, opinionated and even -gasp- armchair QBs. If you bring up a concern before a game your a negative nancy, if you bring one up after the game your told hindsight is 20/20. WTF!!

It's getting to the point WTF do we talk about here? "Wow that was a super game, too bad we lost" .. "We'll get them next time"... "I'm so glad God chose me to be a Steelers fan!!" ... Wow, I wish every thread could be just like that by golly!

You know what, I complain and criticize. Come here to Mass. and ask my Pats fans buddies if I don't literally FIGHT for my Steelers.:mad:

fansince'76
12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Its all good fan'76, it's just that term has been tossed around to describe many posters here who are clearly not bandwagon fans.

Not everyone sits quietly by watching the team win or lose. Many fans are boisterous, loud, excited, opinionated and even -gasp- armchair QBs. If you bring up a concern before a game your a negative nancy, if you bring one up after the game your told hindsight is 20/20. WTF!!

It's getting to the point WTF do we talk about here? "Wow that was a super game, too bad we lost" .. "We'll get them next time"... "I'm so glad God chose me to be a Steelers fan!!" ... Wow, I wish every thread could be just like that by golly!

You know what, I complain and criticize. Come here to Mass. and ask my Pats fans buddies if I don't literally FIGHT for my Steelers.:mad:

You, DACEB, have always been reasonable in your criticism, though. It's not knee-jerk overreaction with you. You're not one of the ones calling for so-and-so to be benched/traded/cut/shot or Tomlin to be fired or other such nonsense after every loss. That is what a lot of folks find annoying, I think. But you're right, the word "bandwagoner" is tossed about a bit too loosely around here too.

LambertIsGod58
12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I'd have to agree with Fan on this issue. If you support ONE team week in and week out, that's a true fan. Criticism, in my book, doesn't constitute a question of loyalty whatsoever. For what seems many in this forum, they disagree.

MACH1
12-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Perfect example - BettisFan aka. TexansFan aka. ParkerFan. Thats a bandwagon fan.

stlrtruck
12-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Yep..The 80's were a tough time. I just about threw up after that Miami game.

Look guys, I just got through therapy for the 80's and you want to bring it back up. My therapist will probably love you but really, it's expensive!!!

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2008, 11:26 AM
I remember a while back someone said in so many words, "screw it, I'm tired of this team coming up short, I'm gonna go root for the Chargers" when the Chargers went 14-2 a couple of years ago. THAT is a bandwagoner.

That is a sign of a true bandwagoner.

DACEB
12-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Hypothetical;

The Rooney's sell the franchise. The owner who buys is a carbon copy of Dan Shnieder. The owner buys up whatever player strikes his fancy. The field is littered with felons, wife beaters and content check cashing baffoons. There is a contingent of fans that are (obviously outraged) objective to the new regime. These fans voice their concern with the new regime, while others are content in the fact the team is winning.

How many would have faith in the front office?
How many would stomach the bad apples?
How far would your allegiance go?

DACEB
12-24-2008, 11:56 AM
You, DACEB, have always been reasonable in your criticism, though. It's not knee-jerk overreaction with you. You're not one of the ones calling for so-and-so to be benched/traded/cut/shot or Tomlin to be fired or other such nonsense after every loss. That is what a lot of folks find annoying, I think. But you're right, the word "bandwagoner" is tossed about a bit too loosely around here too.

I do want Arians fired, after the season though.:flap:

T.Richardson
12-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Hypothetical;

The Rooney's sell the franchise. The owner who buys is a carbon copy of Dan Shnieder. The owner buys up whatever player strikes his fancy. The field is littered with felons, wife beaters and content check cashing baffoons. There is a contingent of fans that are (obviously outraged) objective to the new regime. These fans voice their concern with the new regime, while others are content in the fact the team is winning.

I probably wouuld voice my concerns, I dont want to be a fan of felons.

fansince'76
12-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Hypothetical;

I'd probably stop watching football altogether if that happened. What a nightmare scenario. :horror:

steelreserve
12-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Hypothetical;

A lot of fans would be put off, but the team probably wouldn't be affected very much except in the area of jersey sales. With revenue sharing and the salary cap, you're pretty much guaranteed to turn a profit regardless of what happens on the field or which players you sign. And hell, if even the 49ers can still sell out the stadium, there's no doubt there would be enough holdover die-hard fans to do the same in Pittsburgh.

Eventually though -- and I'm talking over the course of 10-20 years -- bad ownership is enough to start driving away even the "real" fans, and then the team starts with the the give-me-a-new-stadium-or-we're-moving-the-team crap because they think hey, if we're too incompetent to win, at least a nice-looking new park will solve all our problems. That's happened to both teams in the Bay Area even though they had great winning traditions and fan bases in the 80s-90s (more like 70s-80s for the Raiders), and I would hate to see it happen in Pittsburgh.

DACEB
12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
I'd probably stop watching football altogether if that happened. What a nightmare scenario. :horror:

You bandwagon jumper!!:wink02:

My point being that, in a scenerio like described many fans of the teams integrity and tradition would be completely turned off. While others would have no problem with that scenerio as long as the team wins. The fans that are turned off begin to question the direction the team is headed. Does this make them any less a fan? The others might say that they should be happy that the team is winning, keeping the winning tradition!

There are different lines that we won't cross, different triggers that we all have. Some might have a low tolerance for seemingly repetitive misques, and in turn voice their opinion. Others might not look at the same issues with the same intensity.

Of course there will be people that say 'I told you so', simply because that's what their gut told them. Fan'76 even brought up the fact of how hard it was to watch in '83-'84 because you just knew they weren't going to do much. Is that being pessimistic or realistic?

The reality is the offense is holding this team back from being GREAT. Do I still think they can string it together and win it all? Hell yes, with this TEAM it's realistically possible, hell probable. I have faith in this TEAM. That's the kind of fan I am!!

Hammer67
12-24-2008, 01:26 PM
You bandwagon jumper!!:wink02:

My point being that, in a scenerio like described many fans of the teams integrity and tradition would be completely turned off. While others would have no problem with that scenerio as long as the team wins. The fans that are turned off begin to question the direction the team is headed. Does this make them any less a fan? The others might say that they should be happy that the team is winning, keeping the winning tradition!

There are different lines that we won't cross, different triggers that we all have. Some might have a low tolerance for seemingly repetitive misques, and in turn voice their opinion. Others might not look at the same issues with the same intensity.

Of course there will be people that say 'I told you so', simply because that's what their gut told them. Fan'76 even brought up the fact of how hard it was to watch in '83-'84 because you just knew they weren't going to do much. Is that being pessimistic or realistic?

The reality is the offense is holding this team back from being GREAT. Do I still think they can string it together and win it all? Hell yes, with this TEAM it's realistically possible, hell probable. I have faith in this TEAM. That's the kind of fan I am!!

The scenarios your present, though, are apples and oranges. I would question my allegiance if the entire scope of the franchise went south as you described...it has nothing to do with if they won or lost.

What I think the issue is on this site is that some, not all, of the people who bitch and moan, do so without any perspective. I mean, seriously, I am no fan of Arians...but the team is the 2nd seed in the AFC...he isn't going anywhere. Plus, Ben did have his banner year in Arian's offense. Is it my kind of football? No....but, he is right when he says you have to work with what you have. No offensive line cohesion and a heavily injured backfield = lack of a running game.

Some people are just WAY too unbalanced after a loss or a win, nitpicking everything in hindsight. It just looks unintelligent. Some may be venting, sure. And, they are entitled to say what they want...but so are the majority who then chastise them for being narrow.

:drink:

HometownGal
12-24-2008, 08:19 PM

Yep - me too. We have a few of them around here, unfortunately, but I see more FWF's than bandwaggoners. Cracks me up to see them lurking around in the Game Day threads knowing they are chewing their nails down to itty bitty stubs just hoping Ben throws a pick, Parker gets stuffed at the line or ST's screw up so they can grow a woodie and crow about it. :toofunny: I particularly loved the wing dings who got on Jeff Reed's shit for missing that 33 yd. FG against the Titans. Ben suuuuuuucks, FWP suuuuuuucks, Arians suuuuuuucks, Jeff Reed suuuuuuucks. :blah::blah::blah:

Steelers & I
12-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Damn you, augusta - don't you know by now that it is a God-mandated edict that the Steelers win the Super Bowl every season? :doh::banging::wink02:

I'm not going to tell anyone I told you so, as I will freely admit that I didn't think the Steelers would be in this position at the start of the season, but I am grateful and absolutely ecstatic that they are! :tt02::applaudit: We as Steelers fans are truly blessed that we've had the honor and PRIVILEGE of a winning tradition that spans 35+ seasons (with a few bumps along the way). :tt03:

I wear my cheerleader tag proudly because this is a die-hard Steelers fan that proudly stands by the team she loves through thick and thin! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

I believe that's the case with all Steelers fans, just my opinion of course.

HometownGal
12-24-2008, 09:24 PM
[I wear my cheerleader tag proudly because this is a die-hard Steelers fan that proudly stands by the team she loves through thick and thin! :cheer::cheer::cheer:[/QUOTE]

I believe that's the case with all Steelers fans, just my opinion of course.

Not from what I've seen around this place and Pittsburgh, in general, Steelers & I. Most of the younger generation of Steelers fans are spoiled little brats, imho, who weren't around yet (or didn't bother to read up on the team's history) when the Steelers had their lean years in the 80's and before their Super Bowl era in the 70's. Twasn't pretty, but the majority of us older generation die-hards stuck right beside them. While I certainly realize that times have changed with regard to the fans, I can't say it has been for the better, sadly.

WWIIOwheelz
12-24-2008, 09:35 PM
And year after year, despite hard schedules, quarterbacks with issues like Kordel, injury problems, weak offensive lines, allowing our QB to be sacked more than anyone in the league, punting the ball 25 yards on average, etc., the Steelers find a way to win the division, & have a record that keeps us from getting the early draft picks.

How on earth are we supposed to get a top-tier offensive lineman in the draft if we are Superbowl contenders? Lol.... it gets frustrating. Everyone knew we needed an O Line last year and we simply couldn't draft a decent one. We need to trade up, or something, because it simply HAS to be addressed. It's hard to believe Ben hasn't been hurt this year. He can't take this much longer.

Steelers & I
12-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Not from what I've seen around this place and Pittsburgh, in general, Steelers & I. Most of the younger generation of Steelers fans are spoiled little brats, imho, who weren't around yet (or didn't bother to read up on the team's history) when the Steelers had their lean years in the 80's and before their Super Bowl era in the 70's. Twasn't pretty, but the majority of us older generation die-hards stuck right beside them. While I certainly realize that times have changed with regard to the fans, I can't say it has been for the better, sadly.

You're probably right about that, seeing that the younger generation didn't go through the lean decade of the 80"s, they may be a bit spoiled. I followed the Steelers through those heart breaking times, the playoff loss to the Broncos in particular, I call it the Merril Hoge fumble game, as well as the Dolphins blowing us out in the AFCCG.

But on the other hand, I think the difference between now and then is that those 80's Steelers teams were never considered to be a favorite in those playoff games. As I recall, they were fortunate to have even made the playoffs, barely squeezing in during the final week. Just seeing the Steelers making the playoffs after some of those terrible 80's seasons was satisfaction enough for most any Steelers fan.

I think that you'll agree that the Steelers of this decade have typically entered the playoffs as one of the favorites to take home the Lombardi Trophy. So yeah, it's quite a bit more diappointing when the Steelers lose playoff games during this decade. I was certainly upset and I took my jabs at Cowher for his conservative game plans. I don't believe that I was truly upset with him but that's how I vented. I don't know, I guess we're all different, fans react after a disappointing playoff loss in a variety of ways, some ways being better than others.

I also believe that a lot of the younger generation fans did witness the Steelers teams of the 90's. I don't know about you but as a Steelers fan, I've always felt ripped off with the way things turned out for some of those 90's teams. I believe that some of the younger generation fans may fear that we'll see a repeat of that decade with this current Steelers team which may account for some of the negativity towards certain players and coaches.

I just hope that the offense can stop spinning it's wheels before the post season begins. Anything, just show some foward progress. I know it's possible, they started playing better for 2 or 3 games after defeating San Diego but they've since fallen back to their old ways. The Steelers have as good a shot as anyone else at winning it all this season. The window of opportunity is open so lets get one or two more Lombardi's before it's too late.

DoctorCAD
12-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Well, they have already exceeded my expectations.

10 - 6 was my guess at the beginning of the year after the most brutal schedule in NFL history was awarded to the Steelers.

However, as a true fan (for longer than a lot of you have been alive) I am entitled to say that the O line sucks, the running game sucks (see point 1) and the playcalling sucks.

Why does that bother some of you so much?

Are you so blinded by the black and gold glasses that you can't see those glaring errors in our team?

A 6th silver football in the Great Hall would be fantastic, but they would only win it if suddenly no offense is required to win playoff games.

That probably ain't gonna happen.

PalmerSteel
12-25-2008, 10:07 AM
if someone would have told me before the season that our oline and running game stunk and ben being sacked as much as he has, that we would be the #2 seed, there is no way i would have believed you. i love watching this team. i stand up every time the d takes the field with excitement. never felt so much excitement for a d before. anything but superbowl win will be a disapointment, but this has been a fun and exciting team to watch this year for sure, no matter what happens.

SteelCityMan786
12-25-2008, 10:19 AM

I manage to purchase every year that I can a Steelers Media Guide. When first started to buy them and read about our franchise's history, it was surprising. I never thought that they had such a rough beginning until the 1970s and the 1980s once they had some of their worst years in Franchise history. It makes me feel thankful that I NEVER had to deal with all of those sets of bad years back to back. (Like I have to unfortunately deal with the folks just down the road from 100 Art Rooney Avenue at 115 Federal Street). The worst I have had to deal with is the 1991, 1998, 1999, and 2003 seasons. Probably Picnics compared to all of them you suffered through HTG. I've tried to enjoy all of the winning seasons while they last because of the fact one moment they could have to rebuild in order to compete again.

It's reasons like what you have wrote HTG, that makes me respect the older generation of Steelers fans who saw them through their worst years. It makes me feel sorry for your generation to having to put up with all the misery. But like all good Football teams, they got through it.

Also to the folks closer towards my age who wish to brag about how they survived 2006, compared to what I have read to the franchise's past, that was nothing compared to what our older generation of Steelers fans saw. I hope NONE of us EVER have to deal with a stretch as bad as what past Steelers Fans had to deal with.

SteelCityMan786
12-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, they have already exceeded my expectations.

10 - 6 was my guess at the beginning of the year after the most brutal schedule in NFL history was awarded to the Steelers.

However, as a true fan (for longer than a lot of you have been alive) I am entitled to say that the O line sucks, the running game sucks (see point 1) and the playcalling sucks.

Why does that bother some of you so much?

Are you so blinded by the black and gold glasses that you can't see those glaring errors in our team?

A 6th silver football in the Great Hall would be fantastic, but they would only win it if suddenly no offense is required to win playoff games.

That probably ain't gonna happen.

I called for a 12-4 year myself. I thought they could handle the difficult schedule, and well, you know what? They passed pretty easily. In reality I think the only game they truely got beat in was the game against Tennessee and maybe Philly. The other two they coughed up at the end. This team right now scary to think about it could be either 13-2 or 14-1. But 11-4 and possibly 12-4 is not bad at all.

I also have the right to call them out since I'm a Football player myself.

I can see all of the errors with this team. It's mostly our O-Line. But does that mean we should go bashing the hell out of it? Heck No.

It would be great to see a 6th Lombardi, but only time will tell.