PDA

View Full Version : Columnist crossed line, Lions' Rod Marinelli says

TackleMeBen
12-23-2008, 10:22 AM
The war of words continued Monday as Lions coach Rod Marinelli fired back at the question a sports (http://www.freep.com/article/20081223/SPORTS01/812230328/1048/SPORTS#) writer posed regarding one of Marinelli's daughters.

In a news conference after Sunday's 42-7 loss to New Orleans that made the Lions the NFL's (http://www.freep.com/article/20081223/SPORTS01/812230328/1048/SPORTS#) first 0-15 team, Detroit News columnist Rob Parker asked Marinelli: "On a light note, do you wish your daughter would have married a better defensive coordinator?"

Marinelli's daughter Chris is married to Lions defensive coordinator Joe Barry. The Lions' defense is the worst in the league, and Parker has called for Barry's firing repeatedly.

"I just think anytime you attack my daughter, I got a problem with that -- in a room of stink, and as a man, and it was premeditated," Marinelli said. "I think there's something wrong with that, yeah."

http://www.freep.com/article/20081223/SPORTS01/812230328/1048/SPORTS

Steelcitygal87
12-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I heard about this on espn...Mike and Mike in the Morning. I think Rob Parker was way out of line. Isn't that coach suffering enough??? Rob stated he was only joking around trying to "lighten the mood" but that it fell flat and he did apologize to the coach. I never did care for Rob Parker, his attitude always rubbed me the wrong way, long before this incident.

TackleMeBen
12-23-2008, 10:34 AM
he has always had this air about him. i dont like him either. i think he may end up losing his job at the free press for this one, apology or no apology.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2008, 10:53 AM
That Journalist should have his credentials revoked and be fired.

TackleMeBen
12-23-2008, 10:57 AM
That Journalist should have his credentials revoked and be fired.
he probably wont. he has been an a$$ to the lions coach all year. and the excuse, i was trying to be funny. i am sure he wouldnt think its funny if the roles had been reversed.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2008, 10:59 AM
he probably wont. he has been an a$$ to the lions coach all year. and the excuse, i was trying to be funny. i am sure he wouldnt think its funny if the roles had been reversed.

I would've left the room at the time.

TackleMeBen
12-23-2008, 11:06 AM
well Marinelli is a tough SOB, i will give him that. and he will stand there and take alot of crap from the media in detroit. i am sure he probably wanted to go over the podum and kick parkers butt. i would put my money marinelli in that one:chuckle:

revefsreleets
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Geesh. It was just a joke. People are so sensitive now...

TackleMeBen
12-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Geesh. It was just a joke. People are so sensitive now...
yes it was a joke according to parker, but there are certain things you dont joke about and someones child is one of them. i do agree that they have bigger problems in detroit besides rob parker making an a$$ out himself.

revefsreleets
12-23-2008, 11:14 AM
The reporter qualified it by saying "On a lighter note".

It was a joke through and through, and was not a personal attack. If anyone was attacked (and no one REALLY was), it was Joe Barry.

TackleMeBen
12-23-2008, 11:17 AM
not to defend parker, but he is right by saying barry sucks as DC

Steelcitygal87
12-23-2008, 11:20 AM
not to defend parker, but he is right by saying barry sucks as DC

I agree he was ok in bringing up about Barry not getting the job done. To me he just didn't have to get that extra JAB in there about coaches daughter. The joke was in poor taste...imo. Rob should have just said he didn't think Barry was the right man for the job and leave it at that.

TackleMeBen
12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
well personally i dont think any of those coaches are the right man for the job. to coach a team that is going to go 0-16.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
The line can imply so many things.

1. That his daughter is a bad judge of character.

2. That he only gave the guy the job because he's his son in law.

3. That the lions problems are not only caused by Marinelli, but caused by his family that has no involvement with the team.

If you want to attack the man and the job he has done or not done, that is fine. When you bring a man's daughter and family into the situation without need, you just crossed the line into being a candy ass bitch that will hide behind freedom of the press to try and create a story.

"Anytime you attack my daughter, I've got a problem with that ..." Marinelli said. "It was premeditated. I think there's something wrong with that." http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3787809

Here is what Terry Bradshaw and the Fox guys thought of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbQm8lG7vk8

revefsreleets
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
This has become such a wimpy society. If you cross your eyes at some people they want to sue over it.

Mountain out of a molehill. And Marinelli wouldn't last 10 minutes in NY where they really DO mock coaches family members when the team sucks.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-23-2008, 11:59 PM
This has become such a wimpy society. If you cross your eyes at some people they want to sue over it.

Mountain out of a molehill. And Marinelli wouldn't last 10 minutes in NY where they really DO mock coaches family members when the team sucks.

I agree that it has become a wimpy society.

However the reporter went outside the scope of his job with what he said. There are some things that people aren't supposed to comment about, and a person's family is one of them. It's always been that way, even before this country got sue-happy.

And as for him saying it was just a joke, how many times do people try to cover up a personal jab with "it was just a joke"? It happens quite a lot, it's the persons way of trying to get out of trouble for what was said.

ShutDown24
12-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Parker was out of line. He's a bad reporter anyway.

revefsreleets
12-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Much ado about nothing, and Marinelli is simply trying to divert attention from the fact that he's one game from joining the ranks of the all-time worsts.

Apparently, judging by many responses here, it's working.

xfl2001fan
12-24-2008, 08:13 AM
I don't see this as an attack against his daughter though. I see the joke for what it is. If anything, I think Cryinelli is being a wuss about this.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I side with Bradshaw, Strahan and JJ on this one. The question was out of line and parker is a disgrace to the profession.

I agree that today's society is wimpy. If a reporter said that back in the 50's, he would have "accidentally fallen down" in the locker room while interviewing a player.

xfl2001fan
12-24-2008, 01:25 PM
He wasn't attacking Cryinelli's daughter though...it was much more an idictment about her husband than anything. But whatever. For some people, instead of least resistance, they choose to go down the road that creates the most noise. If I was Merryless, I'd probably want to deflect away from the terrible job that's been accomplished in Detroit as well.

LambertIsGod58
12-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Bringing up Marinelli's daughter has nothing to do with the Lions. So there is no reason in hell for Parker to bring her up. Being married to the DC doesn't mean a damn thing. If I were Marinelli, I'd probably have either gotten fired for the way I reacted to this incident or been fined by the league. You NEVER bring family into a situation like that.

KeiselPower99
12-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Prickish thing to say but I have to say this he did hire his son in law to be his Dc. Stuff like that is gonna be asked.

HughC
12-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Listening to the post game press conference, as well as those from previous games, and it's apparent to me that parker is trying to goad marinelli into a rant so he can get his headline. In my opinion, bringing his daughter into the conversation does cross the line. His explanation that he was joking is B.S.; I didn't hear any joking in his tone of voice at any time. It seems that Parker can't handle the heat once the tables are turned and the spotlight is on him.

Marinelli may not be a very good coach but he's not the problem. Parker should be talking about the ownership that hired Millen, stuck with him for far too long, and has now announced they are going to keep their front office intact. The root of the Lions' problems are the Fords - no coach is going to do well in that situation.