PDA

View Full Version : M. Smith on IR- J. Capizzi signed

tony hipchest
12-23-2008, 02:35 PM
as per sirius radio.

revefsreleets
12-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Well, we've all been wondering about that...

SteelMember
12-23-2008, 02:46 PM
The FO has been trying for weeks to hold his roster spot in hopes of his returning for the playoffs. I guess they finally decided that they need a player, not just a warm body.
Smith could have played his last game in a Steelers uniform unless they take another chance next year for an under market value contract that could only net 3-4 games.

KeiselPower99
12-23-2008, 02:57 PM
He might be resigned but I look at Max being out LT next year. Once the back starts up itll never end ask Kyle Turley.

steelreserve
12-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Well, it's better than having a guy who can't play at all.

SteelerFanInCA
12-23-2008, 05:33 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/101374/

Steelers Place Marvel Smith on Reserve/Injured List;
Sign Offensive Tackle Jason Capizzi

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers made a roster move today by placing veteran offensive tackle Marvel Smith on their Reserve/Injured List.

Smith (6-5, 321), who was the Steelers’ second-round draft pick (38th overall) in the 2000 NFL Draft out of Arizona State, played the first five weeks of the 2008 season before suffering a back injury and was inactive the past 10 weeks. A nine-year veteran, Smith has played in 110 career games and made 107 starts. He made the Pro Bowl following the 2004 season, his first such recognition.

The Steelers signed second-year offensive tackle Jason Capizzi from the St. Louis Rams practice squad. He was signed to the Rams’ practice squad on Oct. 28 of this year after being released by the Steelers during training camp. In 2007, Capizzi spent time on the practice squads of the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs before Pittsburgh signed him to its active roster for the AFC Wild Card Game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

tyler289
12-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Guess they finally decided he wouldn't be ready to go at any point this season.

XxKnightxX
12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
hopefully this guy can spark up competition in between the linemen, yes that means you stapleton and colon, get ur game up or this guy will try to take over a spot.

VolatileMan
12-23-2008, 07:47 PM
hopefully this guy can spark up competition in between the linemen, yes that means you stapleton and colon, get ur game up or this guy will try to take over a spot.

Please the guy was picked up from the practice squad of the 2nd worst team in the NFL. There's no way he push's our starters for a spot even as sad as they are.

He's just a healthy body, instead of keeping hope out for Smith's return.

XxKnightxX
12-23-2008, 07:49 PM
i know i know, miracles can happen, and ive seen a lot of offensive linemen emerge as starters from the practice squad. one can only hope lol.

KeiselPower99
12-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Capizzi was getting alot of attention during the mini camps and people have said he just needs to play.

Steelman16
12-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Please the guy was picked up from the practice squad of the 2nd worst team in the NFL. There's no way he push's our starters for a spot even as sad as they are.

He's just a healthy body, instead of keeping hope out for Smith's return.

Then again...our own line ain't much to brag about either...

All I can say is a "Thanks for playing for the B&G Marvel. Enjoy the rest of your life." :tt02:

markymarc
12-24-2008, 07:37 AM
This move should have happened awhile ago. There was no way Smith was going to play football again in 2008 with his bad back. Maybe Tony Hills will get to play a little on Sunday.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Bye Bye Marvel. It was a good 9 year run.

Capizzi is a warm body and camp fodder for next year. Maybe he has a shot at supplanting Essex as the #4 OT.

revefsreleets
12-24-2008, 11:11 AM
The Jets will sign him for 8 million for 7 years.

(I'm only kind of half joking)

Vincent
12-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Capizzi was getting alot of attention during the mini camps and people have said he just needs to play.

I want to see this kid make it. I'm glad he's back on our roster. He can play and you're right, he just needs the opportunity to show it. IMHO, he could become a fixture at LT.

XxKnightxX
12-24-2008, 01:20 PM
the kids a monster, 6'9' thats a plus for him, and even if he doesnt play anytime soon, this guy can be a developing player with some experience and can save us an extra draft pick for next year.

The Duke
12-24-2008, 01:38 PM
the kids a monster, 6'9' thats a plus for him, and even if he doesnt play anytime soon, this guy can be a developing player with some experience and can save us an extra draft pick for next year.

Height doesn't seem to help starks :noidea:

I really wasn't impressed by this guy in pre season at all. Some would expect this Ogden type tackles to be great, but that's not the case here

Still, I hope he becomes something valuable, at least a reliable backup for when smith and starks leave

markymarc
12-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Bye Bye Marvel. It was a good 9 year run.

Capizzi is a warm body and camp fodder for next year. Maybe he has a shot at supplanting Essex as the #4 OT.

I would like to see Capizzi stick on the team next year. I do believe Essex is a decent OL player for us. He has done well when starting games for us. And to be honest with you, out of Smith, Starks and Essex being FAs after this season I would only attempt to resign Essex.