PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin annoyed by fake Santa

mesaSteeler
12-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Tomlin annoyed by fake Santa
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/12/23/tomlin.santa.ap/index.html?eref=si_topstories

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Santa Claus' visit to Mike Tomlin's weekly news conference Tuesday didn't elicit a "ho, ho, ho" from the less-than-amused Steelers coach.

Bill DiFabio, a sports announcer from Washington, Pa., traditionally dresses up as Santa for the pre-Christmas press gathering and often pokes fun at the Steelers coach for a few moments. Former coach Bill Cowher often went along with the gag.

Tomlin also played along initially, asking, "What have you got for me, Santa?" and inviting DiFabio to join him at his desk in front of the room.

But when DiFabio commandeered the news conference for more than five minutes, passing out gifts and cracking jokes about fellow sportscasters, the Browns and Cowboys, nose tackle Casey Hampton's weight and the woebegone Pirates, Tomlin became impatient.

To end the unrehearsed skit, Tomlin -- who could be heard sighing several times throughout the comedy bit -- grudgingly agreed to toss a football to the fake Santa.

"If that will get you out of here," Tomlin said.

Tomlin repeatedly emphasized the Steelers (11-4) would not treat Sunday's meaningless game against the Browns (4-11) like an exhibition, and he apparently did not appreciate a comedy skit interfering with his message.

Later, the Steelers said there would be no future appearances from Santa at any of their news conferences.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

fansince'76
12-23-2008, 06:29 PM
:chuckle:

XxKnightxX
12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
it may sounds rude, but i like the fact that he is pissed off regardless of the holiday and that were playing the browns. thats a great way to keep your team level headed and not wishing for a day off. i think hell be smart enough to rest the really banged up players and play at a high level. i mean look at the giants last season which played to the bone against the pats* and look at their outcome.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Any truth to the reports that police and EMT personnel were called to the scene to remove santas head from a reindeers ass?

stillers4me
12-23-2008, 06:45 PM
"Tomlin annoyed by fake Santa"

He was expecting the real one?

:hunch:

St33lersguy
12-23-2008, 06:48 PM
does Tomlin realize that's just a joke? It's the holidays, it's Teusday. You can enjoy stuff

steelreserve
12-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Nice, but if he wanted to send the right message about focusing for the playoffs, he should've just shouted "PISS OFF!", and if the fake Santa hesitated for even a second, Tomlin should've shoved a football up his ass. (the fake Santa's, not his own)

SteelCityKing
12-23-2008, 07:47 PM

he gets jacked at a fake Santa and i hate the REAL one. he's a jerk. thanks for the dirt bike...you big dumb fat loserface! =(

KeiselPower99
12-23-2008, 07:54 PM
The 5 pound package of hamburger for Casey did it.

TackleMeBen
12-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Nice, but if he wanted to send the right message about focusing for the playoffs, he should've just shouted "PISS OFF!", and if the fake Santa hesitated for even a second, Tomlin should've shoved a football up his ass. (the fake Santa's, not his own)
or just have woodley and harrison sack him and make a santa sandwich:chuckle:

NYC SteelersFan
12-23-2008, 08:03 PM

lol or when he asked what Santa had for him, he was hoping Santa would say, "You've been a gool lil boy this year Mikey, so I got you a bright, shiny new offense."

Roethlisberger Era
12-23-2008, 08:15 PM
The NFL.com video made it seem like Tomlin enjoyed it. I think the article exagerated a little. When he said "If it will get you out of here", he was clearly joking around.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-23-2008, 08:16 PM
That Santa Seems like another text book example of a yinzer. :chuckle:. Keep expecting him to reach for Arn City and say "an at" after every sentence.

BTW, is calling someone from Pittsburgh a Yinzer taken as an insult, or just stating that, that person is one?

Roethlisberger Era
12-23-2008, 08:49 PM
That Santa Seems like another text book example of a yinzer. :chuckle:. Keep expecting him to reach for Arn City and say "an at" after every sentence.

BTW, is calling someone from Pittsburgh a Yinzer taken as an insult, or just stating that, that person is one?

It's just saying that someone is from Pittsburgh. It's not really an insult.

MichaelAngelo
12-23-2008, 09:20 PM
youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erVTGSOQLYU

tony hipchest
12-23-2008, 09:24 PM
"You've been a gool lil boy this year Mikey, so I got you a bright, shiny new offense."

figures....

a shiny new lombardi isnt good enough for some people.

i bet if defensive scoring were weighed equally or more heavy in fantasy football, many people would be more appreciative of what we got going on here.

i can see tomlin being a bit annoyed. sure hes lighthearted, and likes to have some fun, but he is a professional and you can tell he dont like to f--- around on company time.

fansince'76
12-23-2008, 09:26 PM
figures....

a shiny new lombardi isnt good enough for some people.

If he don't get it this year, he needs to GO! :rolleyes:

lilyoder6
12-23-2008, 09:31 PM
it didn't seem like tomlin was that upset about it.. it started out funny... maybe the "jokes" were not as funny as he thought they would be... the lendal white thing imo was stupid

touchdownward
12-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Any truth to the reports that police and EMT personnel were called to the scene to remove santas head from a reindeers ass?

No, but rumor has it that, after annoying Tomlin, fake Santa was seen walking around wearing his ass for a hat. :chuckle:

brick
12-23-2008, 10:22 PM
i think the article is exaggerating a little bit, i watched most of the press conf and he didnt seem that mad. still hilarious to hear him getting impatient at santa claus though :chuckle:

lambertlunaticfan
12-24-2008, 02:38 AM
:rofl:"Tomlin annoyed by fake Santa"

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-24-2008, 03:45 AM
lol or when he asked what Santa had for him, he was hoping Santa would say, "You've been a gool lil boy this year Mikey, so I got you a bright, shiny new offense."

You know....not very thread as to be about how you think something sucks.....right?

Steelcitygal87
12-24-2008, 04:44 AM
What that article fails to mention is one of the things Santa did, which was taking out a picture of the Titans logo, throwing it on the ground, and STOMPING on it. I saw the whole video on ESPNs NFL Live. THAT is what I think Tomlin had a problem with. He probably thought, even though it wasn't one of his players doing this, it was a childish thing to do.... to try and get back at or send a message to the Titans. He seemed OK with this Santa until he did what he did with the Titans logo. I think that annoyed him more than anything.

GO STEELERS! :tt03::tt03:

Galax Steeler
12-24-2008, 05:06 AM
I think Tomlin was more focused on the lose then hear comes santa if we would have won it would have been a little different.

markymarc
12-24-2008, 07:03 AM
If anything Tomlin should be pissed at Santa's writer. His humor was pretty weak at best. I guess Tomlin was upset Santa could not provide him with a new OC, OL coach and OL. If anything Santa should have taken away Arians and fed him to the reindeer.

stillers4me
12-24-2008, 07:19 AM
What that article fails to mention is one of the things Santa did, which was taking out a picture of the Titans logo, throwing it on the ground, and STOMPING on it. I saw the whole video on ESPNs NFL Live. THAT is what I think Tomlin had a problem with. He probably thought, even though it wasn't one of his players doing this, it was a childish thing to do.... to try and get back at or send a message to the Titans. He seemed OK with this Santa until he did what he did with the Titans logo. I think that annoyed him more than anything.

You're probably on to something here.

And as far the the "fake Santa" part, don't these stupid journalists read what they write before they print it it?

HometownGal
12-24-2008, 07:23 AM
I love it! :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Tomlin is going to get a lump of coal in his stocking this year for being snarky to Santa. :chuckle:

DACEB
12-24-2008, 07:37 AM

I think your absolutely right. That seemed to piss Tomlin off. I guess that shows right there how he feels about that whole situation, IT AIN'T NO JOKE!!

Was it just me or did santa try to drill Tomlin with the ball while it appeared he wasn't prepared for it.

stlrtruck
12-24-2008, 08:43 AM
From the look on Tomlin's face, even in the beginning, he wanted to be done so he could get to work.

Tomlin knows he's got a good bit of work ahead of him. Not just for this week against the clowns but for the upcoming playoffs. He said it last year, "If we don't win the Super Bowl every year it's a disappointing season!"

Hammer67
12-24-2008, 08:57 AM
or just have woodley and harrison sack him and make a santa sandwich:chuckle:

I just thought of Harrison flying through the air and tacking this guy ala Terry Tate. That would have been hilarious.

TackleMeBen
12-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I just thought of Harrison flying through the air and tacking this guy ala Terry Tate. That would have been hilarious.
yes it would have. that would have definately made you tube.:chuckle:

SteelMember
12-24-2008, 10:35 AM

That's what I think urked him a little.

Maybe instead of asking, "what did you bring me?", he should have asked if because of the current NAFTA, has he had to shut down the north pole manufacturing facility and outsourced to Mexico to stay competitive. I don't think the UTWU (United Toy Workers Union) would have it though. :noidea: :laughing:

stillers4me
12-24-2008, 01:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/tomlinscowl.jpg

43Hitman
12-24-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't think this article characterizes what I saw in the video, but I would've been annoyed too. It's a funny schtick at first, but the guy goes on and on and on and he's not even funny. :blah:

Yeah I saw it too. At first he is going along with it, but it got old quick. And Tomlin has business to take of this week with the Browns and then time to get ready for a play-off run.

Fire Haley
12-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah I saw it too. At first he is going along with it, but it got old quick

It was lame from the start - I would have immediately fired whatever idiot let that drunken santa on the podium.

steelpride12
12-24-2008, 03:10 PM
In all honesty good to see Tomlin rather discuss the loss and how to correct their mistakes other than joking around after an embarrassing loss.

Polamalu43
12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
thats the attitude tomlin should have. regardless of what he says , he was also pissed off by what the titans did, to us.

decleater
12-24-2008, 03:18 PM

And followed that with the raw hamburger and the fake beard for a plug! BTW, Santa got cut! :rofl:

decleater
12-24-2008, 03:20 PM
thats the attitude tomlin should have. regardless of what he says , he was also pissed off by what the titans did, to us. Exactly and rightfully so -- 4 friggin turnovers and a couple of almosts to boot!

BlackAndGold4Ever
12-24-2008, 03:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJOzE1GJWw&feature=related
:tt03:

One of the funniest things I've ever seen :rofl:

steeltheone
12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Yes ....I would like to see that on the sidelines more often!

SteelCurtain7
12-24-2008, 08:26 PM
"It's third and long for the Jolly Old Elf. The snap...he drops back in the pocket, and whoa! did you see that? Woodley and Harrison creamed him!! Santa's fallen down and he can't get up! They're bringing in a stretcher!

"What did you think of that play, Emmitt Smith?"

"Santa got blowed up!! Blowed up, I tell ya!" :D

markymarc
12-25-2008, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJOzE1GJWw&feature=related
:tt03:

LOL. I love the Terry Tate commercials. Great stuff right there.