PDA

View Full Version : Cowher

Burghfan58
12-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Intersting article on Cowher from Cleveland Plain Dealer.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/12/steelers_rooney_cowher_can_tak.html

HometownGal
12-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Cowher isn't going anywhere. I also believe that he is very happy with his current gig and besides - Kay would jack him up with a frying pan if he even considered taking a HC job other than with the Panthers, which isn't going to happen this season.

stillers4me
12-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Cowher isn't going anywhere. I also believe that he is very happy with his current gig and besides - Kay would jack him up with a frying pan if he even considered taking a HC job other than with the Panthers, which isn't going to happen this season.

You got that right. I've said all along that there's no way she's moving to Cleveland and there's no way he's making that commute.

T&B fan
12-24-2008, 07:51 AM
the browns have a dream ..and in that dream is a real HC .. wake up it's not going to happen he looks happy with the gig he has now . and he still loves steelers football just lok at the things he has said about the towel del last week .

LambertIsGod58
12-24-2008, 07:59 AM

Yeah, I don't think John Fox is going anywhere. The Panthers are in the thick of things this year. If their defense can get back to what it used to be, I think they have a legitmate shot to represent the NFC.

Dino 6 Rings
12-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Detroit. Its the only place he'll get full control with very loyal ownership. Its NFC and he won't appear to be a turn coat to his AFC team the Steelers.

The upside is gigantic, and if he did any better than the last 5 coaches there, he'd be considered the next Parcells, going to a horrible team and rebuilding it.

I smell the Motor City in his future.

BlastFurnace
12-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I still think he will end up in Kansas City.

stillers4me
12-24-2008, 09:43 AM
It would be kind of funny to hear the Browns fans bitch and moan if Cowher were their coach, we still beat the snot out of them and they blame him for it. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
12-24-2008, 10:08 AM
(Sigh)

There are going to be a lot of shocked people in a couple of weeks.

Michael Keller
12-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Unless he is an addicted coach, like Vermeil & Parcells, et al I do not see any reason why he should coach.

He did it all with the Steelers. He is very good on the pre game shows and seems very comfoprtable and happy.

Lets face it coaching is very demanding and especially compared to the current job he has now.

It is highly probable that he will be elected to the HOF but if he goes somewhere and bombs out he may not be elected .

I like Bill Cowher and I really hope he doesn"t do it. He is in a great place in life and I hope he knows it. My hunch is that he does not coach again.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I think Cowher will coach again. But, if that report is true that he just re-upped for a few more years on CBS, it tells me that his mindset is probably based more on lifestyle and watching his last 2 daughters play some more basketball.

NFL head coach is a fraternity of 32 people in the world. If you are in your 50's and still one of the best in that 32, you probably want to compete instead of watching from the sidelines.

Makaveli
12-24-2008, 11:41 AM
(Sigh)

There are going to be a lot of shocked people in a couple of weeks.

I have to agree here. And though it will be disheartening in a sense to see him on the Clown's sideline, the glory that he will add to his already considerable legacy by turning their franchise around will personally make me proud.

I was only around for the tail end of Coach Noll's tenure. And for the most part was "raised" by Coach Cowher. And though he wasn't perfect,...he embodied all that The Steelers were and should always be IMO.

Good luck Bill.:helmet:

Steeldude
12-24-2008, 11:48 AM
that would be great if he was the browns' HC.

didn't cowher say if he coaches again it won;t be until 2010?

The Duke
12-24-2008, 11:50 AM
While I do not want to see it happen I know it can, and I'm prepared for it

Yeah, he may be happy with his job and being with his family, show his allegiance to the steelers like the terrible towel thing on sunday. But none of that tells me he wouldn't accept a head coaching job, even if it is with the browns

I for one would be supportive of any decision he makes

though he should be aware the steelers would still kick their ass :tt02:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Detroit. Its the only place he'll get full control with very loyal ownership.

Browns can offer petty much the same deal, plus I don't think the FORD's have a lot of money to spend on a coach like Billy at the moment.

revefsreleets
12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Nothing will make me happier than for the Browns to hire some overrated assistant who ends up having one decent season and 4 shitty ones (which is pretty much the Cleveland coaching trend) on his way to getting shitcanned, but I have this feeling that they aren't going to go that route this time.

I think they want a proven winner, Cowher has ties to the organization, he knows the division, he knows how to win in the division, he plays a brand of football the fans appreciate, he buys breathing room for the FO, and, most importantly, they are willing to pay the kings ransom Cowher now demands, and 90% of the other teams in the league won't.

I just think it's going to happen. I hope I'm wrong, because the only positive is that he'll be able to renew the rivalry that has pretty much disappeared over the last 10 years.

decleater
12-24-2008, 03:31 PM
that would be great if he was the browns' HC.

didn't cowher say if he coaches again it won;t be until 2010? The right amount of money can reverse decisions like that. :popcorn:

WWIIOwheelz
12-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Nothing will make me happier than for the Browns to hire some overrated assistant who ends up having one decent season and 4 shitty ones (which is pretty much the Cleveland coaching trend) on his way to getting shitcanned, but I have this feeling that they aren't going to go that route this time.

I think they want a proven winner, Cowher has ties to the organization, he knows the division, he knows how to win in the division, he plays a brand of football the fans appreciate, he buys breathing room for the FO, and, most importantly, they are willing to pay the kings ransom Cowher now demands, and 90% of the other teams in the league won't.

I just think it's going to happen. I hope I'm wrong, because the only positive is that he'll be able to renew the rivalry that has pretty much disappeared over the last 10 years.

/\/\/\/\

That's my exact take on the situation as well.

steelreserve
12-24-2008, 04:40 PM

You know, it would suck to be the Panthers' head coach. Not this year, obviously, but the minute you start screwing up, you're going to be casting paranoid looks over your shoulder wondering if this is going to be the year they bring in your de facto replacement-in-waiting.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-24-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't see it happening.

All this talk about money, but Cowher isn't hurting for cash. He's made tons in his 15 years as Steelers HC and makes a nice amount with CBS.

I think the desicion will ultimatly come down to his wife. She basicly gave up over 15 years of their relationship so he could coach in Cleveland, Kansas City, and finally Pittsburgh. She's had him back with her and their youngest daughter for the past two seasons.

Rumors were that she was in the verge of divorce if he didn't quit. If he went back to coaching, she might just do it. I doubt Cowher would want that.

Truthfully, I don't think he's going to coach the Browns. With the things he has said the past couple of weeks on CBS, you wouldn't be saying if you had interest in the possible head coaching vacancy in Cleveland, where they hate Pittsburgh the most out of the rest of the NFL.

Another thing I loved was reading the comments at the bottom of the article. The comments on how they cant wait to get rid of Crennel and hopefully Savage too...when a year ago Browns fans were praising them both.

KeiselPower99
12-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Cleveland sports fan are always in denial and needing to complain about something. As an Indians fan I see it all the time. If ya wanna piss off some cleveland sports nut tell them they aint getting Cowher and Lebron is out they will defend each to the death. They are so unhappy and stuck with certain ideas in their heads its sad really.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Cleveland sports fan are always in denial and needing to complain about something. As an Indians fan I see it all the time. If ya wanna piss off some cleveland sports nut tell them they aint getting Cowher and Lebron is out they will defend each to the death. They are so unhappy and stuck with certain ideas in their heads its sad really.

I'm going to illustrate your point here..but, theres just two certain facts about the LeBron thing

LBJ ain't going anywhere unless they offer him a chance to win a title right off the bat, none of the New York teams can offer that, the current Cleveland team that's in place took Boston to the brink last year, adding on Mo helped cement the fact that the Cavs can be a contender.

Number 2 is..LeBron can make as much as physicaly possible as a Cleveland Cavalier, thanks to the Larry Bird rule (Which should be added to the NFL and MLB, but thats for another thread.). If he goes to NYC, he's going to be taking a paycut.

Are we unhappy? To a degree, Yes. When you havn't won a sports championship since 1964, and you keep getting screwed out of one in every decade...You'd be pretty unhappy as well.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Still cant believe the browns fans were chanting "Cowher" during their loss against the bengals.

We were doing it at the Texans game too, I was among the crowd and you bet I was chanting as well. :)

ricksteelers55
12-25-2008, 03:56 AM
Funny,but depending on what will happen this week....I wouldnt be surprise to see him in Tampa Bay.

The Bucs have lost DC Kiffin and had a good start but arent going nowhere right now.If they dont make the playoffs they might be up for a change and Cowher's name would be on top of their list as they like Top Candidates.

Cowher in TB would be great,and it would give him 2 years to prepare his team for the Steelers :p

anyway no matter what he wants to do,I still love and will always love that guy.

Coach Chin as the Director of football and Mike Tomlin as the HC would be AWESOME..but I know it's never gonna happen

KeiselPower99
12-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Funny,but depending on what will happen this week....I wouldnt be surprise to see him in Tampa Bay.

The Bucs have lost DC Kiffin and had a good start but arent going nowhere right now.If they dont make the playoffs they might be up for a change and Cowher's name would be on top of their list as they like Top Candidates.

Cowher in TB would be great,and it would give him 2 years to prepare his team for the Steelers :p

anyway no matter what he wants to do,I still love and will always love that guy.

Coach Chin as the Director of football and Mike Tomlin as the HC would be AWESOME..but I know it's never gonna happen

Man that could give alot of Steelers fans a stiffy thinking about Tomlin and Cowher working together for the common good. But we know if it was Cowhers choice it would have been Russ Grimm as coach.

KeiselPower99
12-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm going to illustrate your point here..but, theres just two certain facts about the LeBron thing

LBJ ain't going anywhere unless they offer him a chance to win a title right off the bat, none of the New York teams can offer that, the current Cleveland team that's in place took Boston to the brink last year, adding on Mo helped cement the fact that the Cavs can be a contender.

Number 2 is..LeBron can make as much as physicaly possible as a Cleveland Cavalier, thanks to the Larry Bird rule (Which should be added to the NFL and MLB, but thats for another thread.). If he goes to NYC, he's going to be taking a paycut.

Are we unhappy? To a degree, Yes. When you havn't won a sports championship since 1964, and you keep getting screwed out of one in every decade...You'd be pretty unhappy as well.

Im just saying all signs point to him wanting out and to play at MSG. Personally I would love to see the Cavs resign him and end all this talk. Im not a basketball fan but anything that disses the New York media be it the Knicks Im all for.

T&B fan
12-25-2008, 10:26 AM

never herd of it , link or New Thread thanks

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-25-2008, 10:35 AM
never herd of it , link or New Thread thanks

Larry Bird exception

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Bird_rule#Larry_Bird_exception

T&B fan
12-25-2008, 10:50 AM
thanks for the post ..I think it would work in the NFL but the fact you carry you 3 yrs to a new team ,not so much I would say you have to be with new team 2 yrs after you have been with one for 3 yrs . and you 0 out if you do 2 teams in 2 yrs or less .