PDA

View Full Version : Fairness being raised over divisional alignment

SteelersMongol
12-25-2008, 12:26 AM
While cries of unfairness coming from Patriots Nation are likely to fall mostly on deaf ears outside of Massachusetts these days, Sunday’s finales could lead to more questions about the current divisional and playoff formats. :laughing:

Not only is it possible that the New England Patriots could miss the playoffs at 11-5, but there’s the potential that two of the NFL’s eight division winners will be mediocre 8-8.

The Arizona Cardinals, who didn’t do much more than warm up the team bus on their way to getting waxed 47-7 on Sunday at New England, and the San Diego Chargers, if they beat Denver, will win their respective NFC and AFC West divisions with eight wins. No team has won a division at 8-8 since the Cleveland Browns captured the AFC Central in 1985.

Meanwhile, even if the Patriots beat the Buffalo Bills to reach 11 wins, they’ll miss the playoffs if the Miami Dolphins and Baltimore Ravens win. However, this is about more than the Patriots getting the short end of the stick.

Since the NFL switched to its current eight-division format in 2002, which made the possibility of an 8-8 division winner more likely, three times have teams won their division with only a 9-7 mark. One of those teams, last season’s Buccaneers, went to the playoffs while the Browns sat home with a 10-6 record. This season, there’s a chance that seven teams could finish with better records than two division winners, but not make the postseason.

Still, the reaction from those with the greatest influence is simple: Remain calm.

“This is something we warned the owners that could happen when we switched to this format, so it’s not unexpected,” said Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, who is also the co-chairman of the NFL competition committee. “The feeling is that this is an aberration, not a sign of some trend … Now, if it were to happen again over the next two or three years, maybe it’s something we look at.”

Likewise, Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian said: “It’s definitely something we anticipated when we went with this eight-division format. This is not a surprise nor is it something we should over-react to … when we proposed this system, this is something the owners ultimately wanted and felt good about.”

Moreover, it’s something that ultimately the owners believe improves interest in the game, even if it’s occasionally frustrating for fans.

Polian knows that well from having grown up as a baseball fan in New York. Until 1969, major league baseball featured a one-division format in each league. The division winner went to the World Series. No playoffs, no wild cards, no anything to keep fans in multiple cities interested to the end.

“At most, you might have three teams competing in a given year,” Polian said. “In the system we have now, you have fans in multiple cities excited right up to the end.”

Going into the final week of the season, there are 11 teams still competing for five spots. In addition, Atlanta and the Carolina Panthers are still battling for the NFC South title, putting 13 teams in play during the final weekend. That puts the final Sunday of the NFL season on par with the first weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament in terms of wide-ranging interest.

Ultimately, more excitement equals more fan interest which equals more money being pumped into the game. The exchange for the almighty dollar is that occasionally some team that seems more deserving might get left out.

New England coach Bill Belichick didn’t seem upset about his team’s predicament, even after a remarkable season by Belichick’s high standards. The Patriots have a chance to go 11-5 despite having 15 players on injured reserve, including 2007 Most Valuable Player Tom Brady.

“Well, that isn’t really anything we have any control over. We just have to do what we can do,” Belichick said Sunday after his team humiliated Arizona. “We would like to be in the playoffs. That’s what we are here for. I think our guys are playing hard, preparing well and they are playing very competitively. But, we are not in it with Arizona at this point. They are in a different conference.” :crying01:

Would Belichick like to see the format change?

“That is not for me to decide. I have my hands full trying to coach a football team,” he said.

Some of Belichick’s players weren’t so accommodating.

“Typical stuff you see around the NFL,” one Patriot said. “How do you get to go to the playoffs at 8-8 or whatever when other teams win 10 or 11 games and don’t get in?” :blah:

Said another: “Doesn’t make much sense to me, but I’m not in charge. I mean, Arizona didn’t even show up [against New England] and when you look at the tape, they haven’t shown up in about a month.” :laughing:

The Cardinals are in the playoffs despite having lost four of their past five games. In those four losses, Arizona gave up 37, 48, 35 and 47 points. The only win in that span was over 2-13 St. Louis.

Likewise, Denver has had a chance to clinch the AFC West the past two weeks, but lost both and allowed 30 points in each game. In fact, for the season, both Arizona and Denver have been outscored.

Finally, San Diego is in position to win the division despite being 4-8 at one point. At least in the case of the Chargers, they beat the Patriots 30-10 earlier this season.

“At least with them, they can play,” one of the Patriots players said. “I don’t know how the heck they were so bad, but I know they have talent.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkBymmr.FRULgMhTW1b2mn5DubYF?slug=jc-playoffdebate122408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

KARMA is a b... :point:

fansince'76
12-25-2008, 12:46 AM
“Typical stuff you see around the NFL,” one Patriot said. “How do you get to go to the playoffs at 8-8 or whatever when other teams win 10 or 11 games and don’t get in?”

They didn't seem to have a problem with hosting a WC game in Foxboro back in '05 as a 10-6 division winner against the Jags who finished with a 12-4 record that year. IOW, tough shit. :coffee:

Steelman16
12-25-2008, 02:52 AM
I shoulda known the Patriots were behind this. Guess ya'll shoulda won more games this year. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Didnt hear them complaining about "fairness" when they were handed the easiest scedule at the beginning of the year.

stillers4me
12-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Didnt hear them complaining about "fairness" when they were handed the easiest scedule at the beginning of the year.

Bingo! If things were fair, they would just hand us the Lombardi for winning the division with the toughest schedule this year. I bet our guys are just glad this one is over!

They should get shirts that say " I survived the 2008 NFL schedule in Pittsburgh."

Well, everyone except Mendenhall. :chuckle:

LambertIsGod58
12-25-2008, 07:59 AM
They didn't seem to have a problem with hosting a WC game in Foxboro back in '05 as a 10-6 division winner against the Jags who finished with a 12-4 record that year. IOW, tough shit. :coffee:

Even though I am a Goodell fan, I do know he loves the Pats. He just might make a chance for his friend Bill. But I agree '76. Tough shit.....everyone else is playing under the same circumstances.

KeiselPower99
12-25-2008, 08:59 AM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boo Hoo!!!!!! Suck it up bitches

T&B fan
12-25-2008, 10:42 AM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boo Hoo!!!!!! Suck it up bitches

:sofunny::rofl::laughing: you got it my friend Boo Fen Hoo ... life just not fair :flap::laughing::laughing:

missedgehead
12-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I think it IS stupid that an 11-5 team can be theoretically kept out of the playoffs and an 8-8 team like the CHargers and the Cards who are as we say in the horse racing business, no hopers can just because they play in a lousy division. I thought the playoffs were supposed to feature the BEST teams, no? I mean, really. I don't see the Cards or the Chargers with the Lombardi Trophy, even though you don't know what is gonna happen when they spring those gates open. I guess we all want to see the Ravens again. Fine. Like you all say, Karma is a you know what, especially for that TD. The LAST team I want the STeelers facing is the danged Ratbirds, but you all want them in there.

I honestly don't get the karma bit with the Pats. What, because they were good last year? Oh because of Spygate which that idiot Senator kept whining about? Ok. I honestly think all big companies and teams are dishonest if you ask me so I didn't get all upset about it, especially Senator Comcast. Or is it because they supposedly ran up the score? Waaaaaaaaah. The opposing teams had DEFENSES, no? Like Coach Bellichick said, "stop them." TIred of the PC world we live in. People who whine and p*** and moan about the running up the score would have complained about Secretariat's 31 length romp in the Belmont too...."Why didn't Ron Turcotte (jockey) pull the horse up after leading by 5 lengths.....he was winning anyway?".waaaaaaah. Enough complaining about the damned Pats already. They aren't being "punished" or anything like that. Crap happens to everyone.

Trust me. You are talking to someone who has had a lot of bad stuff happen.

The Duke
12-25-2008, 12:26 PM
I think it IS stupid that an 11-5 team can be theoretically kept out of the playoffs and an 8-8 team like the CHargers and the Cards who are as we say in the horse racing business, no hopers can just because they play in a lousy division. I thought the playoffs were supposed to feature the BEST teams, no? I mean, really. I don't see the Cards or the Chargers with the Lombardi Trophy, even though you don't know what is gonna happen when they spring those gates open. I guess we all want to see the Ravens again. Fine. Like you all say, Karma is a you know what, especially for that TD. The LAST team I want the STeelers facing is the danged Ratbirds, but you all want them in there.

I honestly don't get the karma bit with the Pats. What, because they were good last year? Oh because of Spygate which that idiot Senator kept whining about? Ok. I honestly think all big companies and teams are dishonest if you ask me so I didn't get all upset about it, especially Senator Comcast. Or is it because they supposedly ran up the score? Waaaaaaaaah. The opposing teams had DEFENSES, no? Like Coach Bellichick said, "stop them." TIred of the PC world we live in. People who whine and p*** and moan about the running up the score would have complained about Secretariat's 31 length romp in the Belmont too...."Why didn't Ron Turcotte (jockey) pull the horse up after leading by 5 lengths.....he was winning anyway?".waaaaaaah. Enough complaining about the damned Pats already. They aren't being "punished" or anything like that. Crap happens to everyone.

Don't worry, you still got the giants and steelers to root for :coffee:

HughC
12-25-2008, 01:35 PM
After reading that article, it struck me that those quotes didn't sound right. Usually New England players sound like programmed robots, repeating 'one game at a time" rhetoric, etc., like trained seals. Listen to Belichick, Cassel, Bruschi, everybody else on espn or nfln - they all sound like clones with the same empty words. None of them sound like what was written in that column.

If a player (or any person, for that matter) has an axe to grind, they tend to let anybody who will listen know. I tried about twenty combinations of keyword searches on google to find other articles about Patriots players complaining about the playoff format - nothing. Then I looked for Patriots players willing to give quotes as long as the reporter would not use their names - nothing. So if a player is going to say something like this, why would he do it with a columnist from yahoo - and not one of the Boston writers that he is more familiar with and knows he could trust to not use his name? And if he did want a national audience to hear his message, wouldn't it have made more sense to talk to somebody from espn, fox, or cbs?

The quotes sound more like something a Patriots fan would say, not a player. If Cole didn't make up the comments for the benefit of his column, maybe he got them from somebody wearing an NFL-licensed Patriots jersey and is using that as his claim that he got the lines from a Patriots player. I am absolutely sure New England fans are crying about the divisional alignment and playoff teams, but I have serious doubts that any NFL players, whether they're with New England, Baltimore, Miami, New York, Dallas, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, or wherever are telling any reporter that their situation is unfair because the two west divisions are weak this year.

The Patriot
12-25-2008, 02:00 PM

How about the 8-8 Chargers hosting the 12-4 Colts?

HughC
12-25-2008, 02:11 PM
This question seems to come up almost every year, but I believe it should be left as is. Yes, there will be times when the 6th best team in a conference gets left out. But if you're only the 6th best, it's no big loss to the game for you not to be included. You have a chance to win your division, a 2nd chance to make the playoffs as the #5 seed, and a 3rd chance at the playoffs as the #6 seed. If your team can't make it in as one of those three, then don't deflect blame for your shortfall by pointing at that 8-8 team.

As far as 12-4 Colts traveling to 8-8 San Diego, so what? The team that won its division did what it was supposed to do, coming in first place. That team and its fans are rewarded with a home playoff game.

The present setup with the eight division races, its rewards and rivalries, is fine as is. Leave it alone.

warddj86
12-25-2008, 02:15 PM

we should call the wambulance, and afterwards we could go out and get some wamburgers and some french cries.

:crying01:

The Patriot
12-25-2008, 02:27 PM
This question seems to come up almost every year, but I believe it should be left as is. Yes, there will be times when the 6th best team in a conference gets left out. But if you're only the 6th best, it's no big loss to the game for you not to be included. You have a chance to win your division, a 2nd chance to make the playoffs as the #5 seed, and a 3rd chance at the playoffs as the #6 seed. If your team can't make it in as one of those three, then don't deflect blame for your shortfall by pointing at that 8-8 team.

As far as 12-4 Colts traveling to 8-8 San Diego, so what? The team that won its division did what it was supposed to do, coming in first place. That team and its fans are rewarded with a home playoff game.

The present setup with the eight division races, its rewards and rivalries, is fine as is. Leave it alone.
I don't have a problem with the system, but the tie breakers are killing me. The AFC could end up with four or five 11-5 records.

millwalldavey
12-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I still think they should scrap the divisions and go with a confrence allignment. Take the top 6 overall based on record and that way you are always assured of the best in the playoffs.

SteelersMongol
12-25-2008, 07:47 PM
After reading that article, it struck me that those quotes didn't sound right. Usually New England players sound like programmed robots, repeating 'one game at a time" rhetoric, etc., like trained seals. Listen to Belichick, Cassel, Bruschi, everybody else on espn or nfln - they all sound like clones with the same empty words. None of them sound like what was written in that column.

If a player (or any person, for that matter) has an axe to grind, they tend to let anybody who will listen know. I tried about twenty combinations of keyword searches on google to find other articles about Patriots players complaining about the playoff format - nothing. Then I looked for Patriots players willing to give quotes as long as the reporter would not use their names - nothing. So if a player is going to say something like this, why would he do it with a columnist from yahoo - and not one of the Boston writers that he is more familiar with and knows he could trust to not use his name? And if he did want a national audience to hear his message, wouldn't it have made more sense to talk to somebody from espn, fox, or cbs?

The quotes sound more like something a Patriots fan would say, not a player. If Cole didn't make up the comments for the benefit of his column, maybe he got them from somebody wearing an NFL-licensed Patriots jersey and is using that as his claim that he got the lines from a Patriots player. I am absolutely sure New England fans are crying about the divisional alignment and playoff teams, but I have serious doubts that any NFL players, whether they're with New England, Baltimore, Miami, New York, Dallas, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, or wherever are telling any reporter that their situation is unfair because the two west divisions are weak this year.

OK, OK. I admit. I made that up. :chuckle: U got me. :laughing: Damn those New England Robots.

KeiselPower99
12-25-2008, 10:05 PM
we should call the wambulance, and afterwards we could go out and get some wamburgers and some french cries.

:crying01:

WOW!!! A Joe Dirt reference!!!!!!

TailgateMel
12-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Its a fair way... does it SUCK sometimes for some teams.. SURE! But it IS fair.

I mean, in the same breath you could say that if two AFC (or NFC) teams go 14-2 in the regular season, they should play each other in the superbowl rather than an 11-5 team from the NFC (or AFC) playing one of them.

First you WIN YOUR DIVISION.. that is the same concept as winning your CONFERENCE.

Everyone in your DIVISION plays almost exactly the same schedule....

If you don't win your division, then you still have a *shot*.. it is really just a *bonus chance* at that point.

Godfather
12-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Everyone in your DIVISION plays almost exactly the same schedule....

If you don't win your division, then you still have a *shot*.. it is really just a *bonus chance* at that point.

Bingo...maybe the Patriots* are only 11-5 because they fattened their record on the two West divisions. Other AFC divisions had to match up against the NFC East or South.

devilsdancefloor
12-26-2008, 12:18 AM

spygate is a BIG thing it realy is! Bellicheat didnt become a genius over night!!! look at his record at the stains!! Since you like horse racing so much here take secretariats for instant. Her trainers pumper her full of steriods or other performancing inhancing drugs is that no big deal to you? i would think it would be since you are a race fan. IT IS CHEATING just like SPYGATE! I was always taught cheaters dont get ahead in life, but obviously you could care less which is sad. on running the score up yes stop them but when it is the 3rd quarter and you are ahead by 3 TD's you take your starters out! It sorta is a unwritten rule in football and as always the pats show how classless they are. And you are right they are not being punished BUT they should be is the point! they should have taken both first round picks plus alot more. The thing to this point that bothers me the most is WHY destroy the evidence??????? must have been real damning to the organization! And as long as i can remember the first thing you do is when your division to make sure you are in the playoffs! If you dont take care of that you are always in danger of not making the playoffs. so if they are 11-5 and the chargers or broncos gettin at 8-8 so be it.:tt03::tt03::tt03::drink:

XxKnightxX
12-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Bingo...maybe the Patriots* are only 11-5 because they fattened their record on the two West divisions. Other AFC divisions had to match up against the NFC East or South.

Boo Effing Hoo, stupid Pats acting like the Yankees, I seriously dont see why this is even in discussion.

Patriots 5 losses came against Chargers, Dolphins,Colts, Steelers and the Jets. ALL CONFERENCE MATCH UPS. So 4 wins alone have come against the pathetic NFC west and 2 against pathetic teams from the AFC West so that makes it 6 pathetic wins.

Stop crying, you had your injuries just like all the other teams, and even with that creampuff schedule you cant punch it in. If the Pansies had our schedule I would of guessed they would go 5-11, no lie.

Quit the Bitching and start shining your golf clubs

Edit, oh and on top of all that, you lost 5 games against the AFC, theres the reason why youre not in the damn playoffs and not controlling your destiny.

Dino 6 Rings
12-26-2008, 09:52 AM
And didn't the Broncos and Chargers have to play the NFC South? The toughest top to bottom division in football this year?

Tampa, Carolina, New O and Atlanta. All very competetive teams.

I don't care, if they deserve to be in the playoffs, they will be in the playoffs, if they win and are 11-5 and are left out because the Dolphins and Ravens both at 11-5 make it in, well then, that's just the way it is. They had a chance to beat the Dolphins and lost at home to them. Games like that are important, even early in the season.

The Patriot
12-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Boo Effing Hoo, stupid Pats acting like the Yankees, I seriously dont see why this is even in discussion.

Patriots 5 losses came against Chargers, Dolphins,Colts, Steelers and the Jets. ALL CONFERENCE MATCH UPS. So 4 wins alone have come against the pathetic NFC west and 2 against pathetic teams from the AFC West so that makes it 6 pathetic wins.
It was just last year that the Steelers played the pathetic NFC west, but I didn't hear you complaining when you made the playoffs at 10-6.

Stop crying, you had your injuries just like all the other teams, and even with that creampuff schedule you cant punch it in. If the Pansies had our schedule I would of guessed they would go 5-11, no lie.

Quit the Bitching and start shining your golf clubs

Edit, oh and on top of all that, you lost 5 games against the AFC, theres the reason why youre not in the damn playoffs and not controlling your destiny.

Steelers lost five games against the AFC last year, so I guess that is plenty enough to make the playoffs. :noidea:

X-Terminator
12-26-2008, 10:18 AM
It was just last year that the Steelers played the pathetic NFC west, but I didn't hear you complaining when you made the playoffs at 10-6.

Steelers lost five games against the AFC last year, so I guess that is plenty enough to make the playoffs. :noidea:

The Steelers obviously won the AFC North last season by beating the 10-6 Browns twice and going 5-1 in the division. Had they not won it, they'd have been watching the playoffs on TV, much like the Pats* will be doing this season if they don't win or get help if they do. If the Pats* win even one more division (and conference) game, they would be in the playoffs right now. So I don't want to hear the whining either.

The Patriot
12-26-2008, 10:31 AM
The Steelers obviously won the AFC North last season by beating the 10-6 Browns twice and going 5-1 in the division. Had they not won it, they'd have been watching the playoffs on TV, much like the Pats* will be doing this season if they don't win or get help if they do. If the Pats* win even one more division (and conference) game, they would be in the playoffs right now. So I don't want to hear the whining either.

Or... had we beaten you, then the Pats would be the #2 seed with the bye week, and the 11-5 Steelers would be sitting at home watching the 8-8 Chargers host the Colts.

Wait... that can't be right :scratchchin:

TailgateMel
12-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Or... had we beaten you,

ahhhhhhhhhh... but you didn't.. did you... even at your own house...

You won't hear me complaining if the scenarios are turned around... need to win the division.. PERIOD... if you don't win your division.. then you didn't take care of your own business with teams you should know inside & out b/c you play them twice a year.

lilyoder6
12-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Or... had we beaten you, then the Pats would be the #2 seed with the bye week, and the 11-5 Steelers would be sitting at home watching the 8-8 Chargers host the Colts.

if u would of beaten us we would not be going home.. we still would of had the lead over the ravens

The Patriot
12-26-2008, 11:38 AM
ahhhhhhhhhh... but you didn't.. did you... even at your own house...

You won't hear me complaining if the scenarios are turned around... need to win the division.. PERIOD... if you don't win your division.. then you didn't take care of your own business with teams you should know inside & out b/c you play them twice a year.

Divisions are overrated. The Cardinals could have won their division at 6-10. How could you possibly argue that would deserve the 4th seed in the NFC?

Blitzburgh_Fever
12-26-2008, 11:46 AM
It's pretty wonky the way it is, but that's what happens when you have a competitive division.

Pats had ez mode for the last 8 years with the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets either completely sucking or beating themselves any time things looked good. Quick crying.

Not saying it isn't bullcrap that an 11+ win team might have to sit out, but that's the way it is. As whoever said in the quote, if it's a real issue it should be tweaked.

tony hipchest
12-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I think it IS stupid that an 11-5 team can be theoretically kept out of the playoffs and an 8-8 team like the CHargers and the Cards who are as we say in the horse racing business, no hopers can just because they play in a lousy division. I thought the playoffs were supposed to feature the BEST teams, no? I mean, really. I don't see the Cards or the Chargers with the Lombardi Trophy, even though you don't know what is gonna happen when they spring those gates open. .the chargers kicked the shit out of the patriots, and they would do it again. of course they deserve to be there more than new england.

the patriots looked great against seattle and the raiders, and were taken to the brink by kc, and the rams. they are not a playoff team.

The Patriot
12-26-2008, 12:08 PM
the chargers kicked the shit out of the patriots, and they would do it again. of course they deserve to be there more than new england.

the patriots looked great against seattle and the raiders, and were taken to the brink by kc, and the rams. they are not a playoff team.

We destroyed the Broncos. And we were "taken to the brink" by kc because we had to replace Brady mid game.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2008, 12:20 PM
KARMA is a b... :point:

Yes it is.

There is a solution if you don't like the Division Alignment. WIN MORE GAMES!!!

lilyoder6
12-26-2008, 12:23 PM
i think the pats are mad b/c the jets dolphins and the bills are actually a competitive teams again and the pats can't coast into the playoffs...

HughC
12-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Well, being in the same division as the Bungles and Stains, I don't know if we can get away with pointing at other divisions as being weak :chuckle: . . . However, the present system is better than any alternative. Win your division and you're in the playoffs. Be one of two teams with the best record of the remaining teams, and you're in the playoffs. That's three chances to get in, if that's not good enough, too bad. If you are only the sixth best team out of 16 teams, you need to look at yourself as to why you did not do better - rather than looking to place blame elsewhere when the scenario of an 8-8 or 9-7 team getting in ahead of you arises.

If you go to simply taking the top six teams in the conference, there are too many negatives. Divisional rivalries disappear. Only one or two area's fans get excited about fighting for first place; who is going to get pumped up about coming in third or fourth or fifth? And the chronic complainers will still have something to whine about, pointing out that another team had a different ("easier") schedule than their team did.

Eight division winners is good for the NFL, it gives 25% of the NFL's fans something to cheer and brag about. Leave the current system as is.

X-Terminator
12-26-2008, 01:35 PM

No, because the Steelers would still be ahead of the Ravens and would have needed to win last week or this week to take the division. Nice try though.

But don't worry, I'm sure Kraft will try to get his BFF Roger Good-Deal to change the rules so that the Pats* can get into the playoffs.

brick
12-26-2008, 01:53 PM
tbh i actually do think its somewhat unfair to have a team like the cards who have been atrocious in the last few weeks solidify their place in the playoffs with 8-8 and teams that win 10+ games have to watch at home in january, but it also should be mentioned (as it has been in this thread) that different teams have different schedule difficulties, which always plays a factor in this.

and as its the patriots...

http://toughsledding.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/crybaby.gif

:chuckle:

The Patriot
12-26-2008, 01:55 PM
i think the pats are mad b/c the jets dolphins and the bills are actually a competitive teams again and the pats can't coast into the playoffs...

You call that competitive. We lost Brady the first game of the season and the Bretts still couldn't win the division.

brick
12-26-2008, 01:59 PM
looking beyond the qb, the patriots have a far better team than both the jets and the fins. i'd actually argue that (based on this season anyway) cassell is a better qb than chad pennington. and if the jets could have actually mustered up a win in the west then they'd be right there with the pats and the dolphins in terms of playoff chances.

SteelCityKing
12-26-2008, 05:05 PM
i bet they cried "foul" when tom Brady got hurt!!! i'm sure to the Patriot-fan eye it was "an unfair hit or tackle!"

boo-f*cking-hoo!!!

how can you sit there as a Patriots fan and bitch and complain about the cards you are dealt when 2 years ago you tried to slip one up your sleeve to punk ass cheaters!? ONE THING doesn't fly your way and you get your panties in a bunch and shed a few salty tears.

i, among others on this forum, are tired of hearing the Patriots fans blast us over stupid shit and then whine about their own issues! waahhh...haha! eat a d*ck!

T&B fan
12-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, being in the same division as the Bungles and Stains, I don't know if we can get away with pointing at other divisions as being weak :chuckle: . . . However, the present system is better than any alternative. Win your division and you're in the playoffs. Be one of two teams with the best record of the remaining teams, and you're in the playoffs. That's three chances to get in, if that's not good enough, too bad. If you are only the sixth best team out of 16 teams, you need to look at yourself as to why you did not do better - rather than looking to place blame elsewhere when the scenario of an 8-8 or 9-7 team getting in ahead of you arises.

If you go to simply taking the top six teams in the conference, there are too many negatives. Divisional rivalries disappear. Only one or two area's fans get excited about fighting for first place; who is going to get pumped up about coming in third or fourth or fifth? And the chronic complainers will still have something to whine about, pointing out that another team had a different ("easier") schedule than their team did.

Eight division winners is good for the NFL, it gives 25% of the NFL's fans something to cheer and brag about. Leave the current system as is.

I did not want to say that but glad you did :thumbsup: and if you make it 2 - 16 team divisions then what you play every one in your side 1 time a yr never play any of the NFC side thats no fun . and it would kill the great rivalries .

DJfan
12-27-2008, 01:08 AM
I hate the Pats* for what they did to the NFL. Hate Roger Crapell, too.

I hope that we are seeing the unraveling of these classless cheaters. May it be unraveled for many years.

Preacher
12-27-2008, 02:22 AM
I did not want to say that but glad you did :thumbsup: and if you make it 2 - 16 team divisions then what you play every one in your side 1 time a yr never play any of the NFC side thats no fun . and it would kill the great rivalries .

I understand what you both are saying... however there is one difference.

In this division, at least two teams are always battling it out. Heck, going into last year, I thought that 3 teams from teh AFCN were going to make it. The Bungles and the Browns have traded off in this decade... this is the first year since 2002 that neither one has presented a challenge (though Ben has handled them pretty well every year). The Ravens are consistent, with only a bad year last year.

Compare that with the Pats* division. Jets have been horrible or just short of horrible since when? Bills had a decent year in 2004, but didn't even make the playoffs then. Miami? Hilarious.

Naa, the AFC East, the AFC and NFC West and the NFC North have consistantly been a 2 team race or less every year.. and weaker then the AFCN.

None of the others are heads and tails stronger over the last few years... So I really think that the AFCN is equal with the strongest divisions... and in reality, there is only really 3 levels. The NFCW and AFCE are the weakest. The NFCN and AFCW are the middle, and the AFCN, AFCS, NFCE and NFCS are all about equal, on average.

What does all that mean?

It means that the patriots should stop crying. However, we knew that already!

steelerbackr4life
12-27-2008, 04:09 AM
I What does all that mean?

It means that the patriots should stop crying. However, we knew that already!

AMEN :applaudit:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Big deal?

Want a gauranteed home playoff game? Win your division.

BozMan
12-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I would love to watch the rage among Cheatriots fans if both the Cards and Chargers go 8-8, win their divisions, and the Cheats don't qualify for the playoffs. No team is more deserving of getting the shaft.

The Patriot
12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
I would love to watch the rage among Cheatriots fans if both the Cards and Chargers go 8-8, win their divisions, and the Cheats don't qualify for the playoffs. No team is more deserving of getting the shaft.

How about the Atlanta Falcons? Coming back from the Vick fiasco, they have one of their best seasons ever but won't make the playoffs at 11-5 when the Cards have lost their last four games straight but get in at 8-8.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I think it IS stupid that an 11-5 team can be theoretically kept out of the playoffs and an 8-8 team like the CHargers and the Cards who are as we say in the horse racing business, no hopers can just because they play in a lousy division.

So what do you propose? Get rid of divisions and conferences and have 32 teams ranked by records only with the top 8 or twelve going to the playoffs? Or have a "December, January Madness?" Seriously, there are drawbacks and cons to virtually any system. I personally like the divisions as trash talking your divisional opponents is a time honored tradition. I would just hate to dilute the trash talk equally among thirty teams as opposed to spewing most of my venom towards the Brown spots, Bungles and Ratturds. :noidea:

steelerbackr4life
12-27-2008, 01:26 PM
To take away the inter division rivalries would definitely be a detrement. If your team cant play well enough to be near the top in its own division/conference then it does not deserve to make the playoffs.

The Patriot
12-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I think the division winner with the worst record should become a wildcard spot. This would keep the divisions competing with each other for the three guaranteed playoff spots, while also preventing a poor division from having a guaranteed seed.