PDA

View Full Version : Steelers promising they won't shun run in playoffs

mesaSteeler
12-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Steelers promising they won't shun run in playoffs
http://news.google.com/news?q=pittsburgh%20steelers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wn
By ALAN ROBINSON 40 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) The Pittsburgh Steelers' commitment to the run began with Franco Harris in 1972 and hasn't wavered since. With only three coaches during that time, the Steelers have never abandoned the mindset that all good things offensively start with the run.

Of course, running backs such as Harris and Jerome Bettis two of the top 12 rushers in NFL history __ and, more recently, Willie Parker, made it simple to stay the course.

Now, it almost seems the run is becoming the offensive option of last resort, at least by the end of the many tight games the Steelers (11-4) are playing.

Going into their regular season-ending game Sunday against the Browns (4-11), the Steelers are 24th in rushing, only one spot ahead of Cleveland. They have been held below 100 yards six times in nine games, and Parker has gained more than 100 only once since the second game of the season, Sept. 14 in Cleveland.

Given the Steelers' history of running to win, the one surprise of their season is their record is this good without the one element of their offense that has remained consistent under coaches Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher and, last season, Mike Tomlin.

"I am concerned," Tomlin said. "I think that with an effective running game, it increases our chances of winning. Therein lies my concern: Do we need to get hot in the running game? Absolutely."

Tomlin's concern is, uhh, well-grounded.

Last season, Parker was leading the NFL in rushing with 1,135 yards until he broke a leg in St. Louis on Dec. 20. Without Parker's productivity and speed, the Steelers lost a week later at Baltimore and in the playoffs to Jacksonville, rushing for exactly 46 yards in both games.

Parker came back strong to begin this season, running for 138 yards and three touchdowns against Houston and 105 yards a week later in Cleveland. Since injuring a knee in Philadelphia on Sept. 21 and an elbow after that, Parker has lacked his usual acceleration and cutting ability, and the effect is evident.

Parker, a three-time 1,000-yard rusher, was held to 29 yards on 18 carries during a 31-14 loss in Tennessee last weekend, the fourth time in five games he has had 12 or more carries for 47 or fewer yards.

Parker's injuries aren't the only reason for the dramatic dropoff in the Steelers' run game productivity. An offensive line that is without injured starters Kendall Simmons and Marvel Smith has been inconsistent all season.

The Steelers recognized their line would be a worry after star guard Alan Faneca signed with the Jets after last season, so the season-long problems with run blocking and pass protection aren't a total surprise. Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 46 times, one off his career high set a year ago when Faneca was around.

Several times recently, Parker said the Steelers must commit themselves to running the ball the way they have in the past. The problem with this is they don't have the healthy Parker of the immediate past.

After nearly winning the rushing title last season, Parker is down to No. 30 in the league with 673 yards gained. He has scored one touchdown since the season opener and has one 100-yard game since Sept. 14.

"The run game is always something you want to focus on because you want to always stay two-dimensional as an offense," left tackle Max Starks said. "Eleven guys all being on the same page is going to be a big emphasis."

Developing some continuity is one reason Tomlin plans to play many of his starters as long as possible Sunday, even if the Steelers can't improve their playoff position by winning.

"We acknowledge some of the areas we are deficient in, we work at them, we wait for the next opportunity to prove that we are not," Tomlin said. "That's the same mentality I have regarding the run game and all of our deficiencies. I tend to have a short memory."

Galax Steeler
12-25-2008, 03:09 PM
I would love to see our run game come back it take alot of pressure off of Ben and get back to smashmouth football.

HometownGal
12-25-2008, 03:16 PM
I think the best thing for the Steelers to do this Sunday is to utilize all 3 backs - FWP, MeMo and Russell - to gear the running game up for the playoffs. I agree with the Tomlinator here - a running game is vital on the playoff journey and we need to re-establish it with what we've got.

markymarc
12-25-2008, 06:23 PM
We couldn't get the running game going during the regular season and I don't expect any big rushing stats during our playoff run. It's going to come down to our defense and Ben playing great football.

Stlrs4Life
12-25-2008, 07:25 PM
I would love to see our run game come back it take alot of pressure off of Ben and get back to smashmouth football.

Same hare. But saying it and doing it is 2 different things.

OneForTheToe
12-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Last season, Parker was leading the NFL in rushing with 1,135 yards until he broke a leg in St. Louis on Dec. 20. Without Parker's productivity and speed, the Steelers lost a week later at Baltimore and in the playoffs to Jacksonville, rushing for exactly 46 yards in both games.

How could this be? I mean Arians sucks as an coordinator, so how could Willie have had that many yards? :flap: Arians must have been replaced by Bizzaro Arians who can not call plays under a Yellow Sun.:noidea::wink02:

paw-n-maul-u
12-26-2008, 03:40 AM
our offense is a joke. We don't have to offensive lineman to run ANY scheme. Arians is more a scapegoat than anything. I mean ... christ. this offensive line is pathetic. so bad. i just hope we take all starks, smith and hopefully simmons and parkers freed up money, and make an unusually big splash in FA. The money is there.

lets spend it on protecting ben. coupled with a solid draft on both sides of the trenches. should be a solid team for years.

steelreserve
12-26-2008, 03:45 AM
While I remain fond of the days when our team could beat you simply by lining up and powerfully shoving the football up your ass, that's just not our strength right now. If we can get anything going on the ground, it'll be nice, but really I think it'll come down to 1) Ben playing well, 2) the defense continuing to play lights-out, and 3) generally being mistake-free at key times, which is what IMO has won several games for us this year.

Galax Steeler
12-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Same hare. But saying it and doing it is 2 different things.

Yea I agree but it don't never hurt to wish for.:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
12-26-2008, 07:45 AM
I think the best thing for the Steelers to do this Sunday is to utilize all 3 backs - FWP, MeMo and Russell - to gear the running game up for the playoffs. I agree with the Tomlinator here - a running game is vital on the playoff journey and we need to re-establish it with what we've got.

Or even sit Parker. Let's face it, his numbers have been less than stellar. I have been an advocate of giving the guy a few weeks off for quite some time. This is not a critical game so why not sit him in hopes that with with three weeks of complete rest he will hopefully be 100% physically and mentally come playoffs.

Rick5895
12-26-2008, 08:15 AM
We can try to run all we want, fact is, when the Steelers run well, it is with a fullback in the backfield (Krieder, Lester etc) The FB keeps the LB's honest and gives another block at the point of attack. We don't run well because we don't employ this system very well anymore and we don't have a true FB. Willie and Moore are too small and not physical enough to run without a FB, it would have been interesting to see how Mendenhall would have worked out in this type of offense. I wouldn't expect an improvement in the running game until next season. We can win the Super Bowl but will have to have a "ball control" passing attack and great D to win.

markymarc
12-26-2008, 03:05 PM
How could this be? I mean Arians sucks as an coordinator, so how could Willie have had that many yards? :flap: Arians must have been replaced by Bizzaro Arians who can not call plays under a Yellow Sun.:noidea::wink02:

Let's not forget that teams had to respect our running and passing game last year. Our passing attack helped the running game last season. Also, FWP was completely healthy and not running scared like this year. They couldn't put 8 in a box with our passing attack last year. This year is totally different.

OneForTheToe
12-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Let's not forget that teams had to respect our running and passing game last year. Our passing attack helped the running game last season. Also, FWP was completely healthy and not running scared like this year. They couldn't put 8 in a box with our passing attack last year. This year is totally different.

Exactly why my sarcasim. If we had the running game we had last season there would be nothing to complain about. Check that ... some of you would be complaining about the job Mike Tomlin's secretary does. :chuckle: Arians seemed to call great runs for Parker last season. I know he keeps forgetting to tell him to run farther this season. Or, he forgets to remind the O'line to block forward.

Oh well.

Steelers & I
12-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Put a FB in front of the RB, hand the ball to the RB, work it, work it, and work it again. Although the Steelers don't have time to establish a legitimate run threat before the playoffs begin, they still MUST attempt to establish at the very least, a half A$$ running attack.

Anything is better than just giving up on the run game and acknowledging to the opposing defense that we will more than likely pass the ball on every down, or worse yet, run draw plays from that corny A$$ singleback set.

Just my opinion of course. Here's hoping for the best. :drink:

markymarc
12-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Exactly why my sarcasim. If we had the running game we had last season there would be nothing to complain about. Check that ... some of you would be complaining about the job Mike Tomlin's secretary does. :chuckle: Arians seemed to call great runs for Parker last season. I know he keeps forgetting to tell him to run farther this season. Or, he forgets to remind the O'line to block forward.

Oh well.

I got ya and sorry for misunderstanding :chuckle: Boy wouldn't that be nice if we actually had an OL that could block forward. I just want to see FWP get healthy this off season and come back strong in 2009.

Prok
12-26-2008, 04:38 PM
This may be thinking outside the box but all things considered i'd just rather us run the no-huddle alot in the playoffs. Let's face it, our base offense is downright horrible against the better D's. And i think Ben is at his best in the shotgun and no-huddle. So i say until we replace BA, just go no-huddle often with hopes of helping our great D out.

dragtruk
12-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Or even sit Parker. Let's face it, his numbers have been less than stellar. I have been an advocate of giving the guy a few weeks off for quite some time. This is not a critical game so why not sit him in hopes that with with three weeks of complete rest he will hopefully be 100% physically and mentally come playoffs.

I guess it's ok for Willie, but not for Ben, I guess. I don't want to get into this again, but why is it ok to bench a RB with noone to back him up, when it's not ok to bench a QB with a perfectly healthy backup? If Ben is "supposedly" playing hurt and badly I might ad, and we're in the playoffs, doesn't it make just as much sense, if not more, to sit him and rest him? I think many people here are afraid that Leftwich might do well, thus, taking away their "great white hope" from the team. I'm beginning to have my doubts about this place.:crying02:

lilyoder6
12-26-2008, 05:09 PM
we need 2 put dixon in and start running the spread option!!!!!!!!!

Prok
12-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I guess it's ok for Willie, but not for Ben, I guess. I don't want to get into this again, but why is it ok to bench a RB with noone to back him up, when it's not ok to bench a QB with a perfectly healthy backup? If Ben is "supposedly" playing hurt and badly I might ad, and we're in the playoffs, doesn't it make just as much sense, if not more, to sit him and rest him? I think many people here are afraid that Leftwich might do well, thus, taking away their "great white hope" from the team. I'm beginning to have my doubts about this place.:crying02:

The great white hope theory huh? Christ you couldn't be any further off base IMO. I want Ben to play just so our O has chance not to be rusty come playoff time, it has nothing at all to do with Byron.

You actually think Byron is the better QB ??? :rofl:

You're prolly one of those fans that always think the backup QB is wasting away on the bench...

Ricco Suavez
12-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Dude You are coming across as a person who wants to divide this issue along race lines. If not i apologize, maybe you are just a Byron Leftwich fan. Either way any reasonable fan would know this team is not going to bench their starter this late in the season(especially an 11-4 season so far). Let it die my friend let it die.

dragtruk
12-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Dude You are coming across as a person who wants to divide this issue along race lines. If not i apologize, maybe you are just a Byron Leftwich fan. Either way any reasonable fan would know this team is not going to bench their starter this late in the season(especially an 11-4 season so far). Let it die my friend let it die.

Nothing could be further from the truth, but I see alot of posts here stating that any QB (that just happens to be of color) was "stinking up the joint". If you really think Ben is playing stellar, you're kidding yourself. If you look at my posts, I NEVER said BL should start. I said he should come in when Ben is playing badly. You guys made up all the rest. Do you really want to go into a playoff game , down 21 points with Ben playing hot potato with 10 minutes left in a game? Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does, I wonder how many of you will be screaming ( silently to yourselves, I'm sure) to put BL in to try and save the game. I'm thinking alot of people here would rather end the season early with the big, dopey white guy, than go to the next round with a perfectly healthy man of color sitting on the bench, "Holding the clipboard", as is his job according to most of you. Some guys here seem to care more about Ben and their Fathead stickers on their walls than the team in general. Oh, and let's face it, the defense got us that 11-4, not Ben.

Steelers & I
12-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Nothing could be further from the truth, but I see alot of posts here stating that any QB (that just happens to be of color) was "stinking up the joint". If you really think Ben is playing stellar, you're kidding yourself. If you look at my posts, I NEVER said BL should start. I said he should come in when Ben is playing badly. You guys made up all the rest. Do you really want to go into a playoff game , down 21 points with Ben playing hot potato with 10 minutes left in a game? Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does, I wonder how many of you will be screaming ( silently to yourselves, I'm sure) to put BL in to try and save the game. I'm thinking alot of people here would rather end the season early with the big, dopey white guy, than go to the next round with a perfectly healthy man of color sitting on the bench, "Holding the clipboard", as is his job according to most of you. Some guys here seem to care more about Ben and their Fathead stickers on their walls than the team in general. Oh, and let's face it, the defense got us that 11-4, not Ben.

The Steelers have had many QB's on their roster who were/are "men of color". In fact, they had an African American QB on their roster in the 1970's. Just off the top of my head, I'll list the ones that I can remember.

Joe Gilliam
Kordell Stewart
Anthony Wright
Tee Martin
Charlie Batch
Omar Jacobs
Dennis Dixon
Byron Leftwich

I'm sure that I missed one or two but here's my point. Besides Kordell Stewart, no Steelers fan had any problem with the aforementioned QB's. Yeah, Kordell caught hell from the fans but big effing deal, name ONE STEELERS CAUCASION QB who didn't hear it from the fans at one time or another????????

Leftwich played his way out of Jacksonville. Last year he was released by the "QB rich" Atlanta Falcons organization. Did you happen to see Leftwich play this pre-season? Well it's my opinion that he didn't look so good. So what's going to happen at the end of this season?? I'll tell you, Charlie Batch's return, a highly respected and much appreciated "man of color" in Pittsburgh, will spark the release of who?? Byron Leftwich of course. Yet this is the QB that you feel should be filling in for Ben Roethlisberger, that is funny.

In closing remember this, a man of color is calling the shots for the Steelers. That man of color decides who the starting QB should be from week to week, not the damn caucasion fans. It sickens me that someone like you can come onto these boards and essentially call other members racist. Not to mention that you don't even know the ethnicity of many, if not all of the members.

If anyone should be banned from this site, IT SHOULD BE YOU! Grow the eff up!

fansince'76
12-26-2008, 08:17 PM
If you look at my posts, I NEVER said BL should start.

Yes you did.

Put MF Leftwich in, already. Is it a white/black issue or what? I don't care. I think Leftwich will win more ball games than Ben. Sure Ben is better than QBs in the past, but we really haven't gave BL a real chance. Do you guys really want to throw the season away on a QB who "supposedly" won us a superbowl 3 years ago, or do you want to go into the playoffs winning? Hate me if you want, but Roethlisberger is not the man to get us to the SB this year. If he does, I will be surprised. It depends on which Ben shows up for the big games.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=505261#post505261

And put a sock in it with the racial crap already.

steel striker
12-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I have said this many times and, I will say it again Ben gives us the best chance in winning end of story. Back to the running issue we will try to run but, it seems to be an up hill battle. The rams cut kreider I say let's take kreider back and try running it him at fb.

lilyoder6
12-26-2008, 08:33 PM
plz stop w/ the race issue.. it;s pointless

dragtruk
12-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Yes you did.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=505261#post505261

And put a sock in it with the racial crap already.

Show me where exactly I said BL should start. It ain't in my post. Like I said, you guys make this sh*t up. SHOW ME Mr. Fansince, where I said BL should start? SHOW ME IN YOUR REPLY WITH "MY" POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have absolutely torn apart Pats fans and was never as vehemently attacked by them as I was for even suggesting that Leftwich should play, by Steelers fans here. So, I come to two conclusions. 1), The people here are racist. I kind of doubt that. The vibe here does have the potential though. 2) You are unfriendly to any fan who doesn't agree with the status quo and thinks outside the little box you keep yourselves in. I used to like this place, but some of you pr1cks have blinders on. OK, Ben starts and plays no matter how shi**y he is, no running game, good defense, bad OL. Keep on discussing that. Beat a dead horse to a pulp. AS long as Lefty stays on the bench, you can all say "He didn't do sh*t for us last year." So you can ALL BE RIGHT, because he never got the chance. Have fun , I'm outta here!:flap:

markymarc
12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
This may be thinking outside the box but all things considered i'd just rather us run the no-huddle alot in the playoffs. Let's face it, our base offense is downright horrible against the better D's. And i think Ben is at his best in the shotgun and no-huddle. So i say until we replace BA, just go no-huddle often with hopes of helping our great D out.

Bruce Arians is saving everything for the playoffs :mad: I have yet to see anyone be able to shut down our offense when we run the no huddle.

lilyoder6
12-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Show me where exactly I said BL should start. It ain't in my post. Like I said, you guys make this sh*t up. SHOW ME Mr. Fansince, where I said BL should start? SHOW ME IN YOUR REPLY WITH "MY" POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have absolutely torn apart Pats fans and was never as vehemently attacked by them as I was for even suggesting that Leftwich should play, by Steelers fans here. So, I come to two conclusions. 1), The people here are racist. I kind of doubt that. The vibe here does have the potential though. 2) You are unfriendly to any fan who doesn't agree with the status quo and thinks outside the little box you keep yourselves in. I used to like this place, but some of you pr1cks have blinders on. OK, Ben starts and plays no matter how shi**y he is, no running game, good defense, bad OL. Keep on discussing that. Beat a dead horse to a pulp. AS long as Lefty stays on the bench, you can all say "He didn't do sh*t for us last year." So you can ALL BE RIGHT, because he never got the chance. Have fun , I'm outta here!:flap:

someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...

RLY? calling ppl on these boards racist b/c they said ben is better than BL...
and who is unfriendly here??? i don't see ppl name-call for the most part...

dragtruk
12-27-2008, 04:38 PM
The Steelers have had many QB's on their roster who were/are "men of color". In fact, they had an African American QB on their roster in the 1970's. Just off the top of my head, I'll list the ones that I can remember.

Joe Gilliam
Kordell Stewart
Anthony Wright
Tee Martin
Charlie Batch
Omar Jacobs
Dennis Dixon
Byron Leftwich

I'm sure that I missed one or two but here's my point. Besides Kordell Stewart, no Steelers fan had any problem with the aforementioned QB's. Yeah, Kordell caught hell from the fans but big effing deal, name ONE STEELERS CAUCASION QB who didn't hear it from the fans at one time or another????????

Leftwich played his way out of Jacksonville. Last year he was released by the "QB rich" Atlanta Falcons organization. Did you happen to see Leftwich play this pre-season? Well it's my opinion that he didn't look so good. So what's going to happen at the end of this season?? I'll tell you, Charlie Batch's return, a highly respected and much appreciated "man of color" in Pittsburgh, will spark the release of who?? Byron Leftwich of course. Yet this is the QB that you feel should be filling in for Ben Roethlisberger, that is funny.

In closing remember this, a man of color is calling the shots for the Steelers. That man of color decides who the starting QB should be from week to week, not the damn caucasion fans. It sickens me that someone like you can come onto these boards and essentially call other members racist. Not to mention that you don't even know the ethnicity of many, if not all of the members.

If anyone should be banned from this site, IT SHOULD BE YOU! Grow the eff up!

Funny, but the only three mentioned in the discussions lately were Kordell, Charlie, and Byron. I don't care about ethnicity. If you wanna be phony, that's cool. I'm a white guy. Go ahead and ban me, I'm sick of being personally attacked for thinking differently than the masses here. I never called anyone names here for thinking Ben should start. I've been called an idiot, moron, and a "know it all", by my own so-called people, for just suggesting BL should play. So, that 's right, run the guy that thinks a little different off of your precious board. I'm hurt. You can all be safe now. Ben IS GOD. LIve by it. I have way more important things to do than be insulted by Steelers fans. I love the team, I just don't agree with some of their fans. So kick me out.:tt03:

HometownGal
12-27-2008, 09:53 PM

http://www.bourneinstyle.com/vintagesoap3.jpg

Hey drag - you are entitled to your opinion just as everyone else here is and you will never be banned by either Gary or myself for disagreeing with us or any other member. However - you are skating on thin ice with the potty mouth - you've been warned about that before. Can't you get your point across without the foul language? :banging::banging: