PDA

View Full Version : Time for my confession --I liked the twilight series

Preacher
12-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Ok...

Confession time.

My wife bought the first Twilight book when we went to Pittsburgh lo these many moons ago (beginning of November). A couple weeks ago, I was bored with nothing to read so I picked up the first book, Twilight.

Well, a week and a half later, I finished the fourth book and was astounded. She is an excellent writer IMO. The story moved pretty well, only dragging in a couple of places... not bad for four books. Furthermore, the character development seemed pretty decent with only a couple flat characters on the sidelines.

Also, the syrupy sweet romance of the first book makes a heck of a lot of sense moving through the rest of the series. The tensions built by it, the actions that it drives, and the resolutions in the last book all make sense because of it.

Believe it or not... even as a Pastor who usually HATES these kinds of books because of the genre, I can't help but recommend them to people to read. I also like how they break the rules of the genre in dealing with God, creation (both earth and vampires), treaties and alliances, etc. This series was well thought out.

Well, that's it for confession time.

revefsreleets
12-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I'll probably check it out, if for no other reason than curiosity. I always love to try and "Touch the pulse" of what is hot.

I rememebr reading some Mary Higgins Clarke because she was always a best seller.

I was twice the writer she was when i was 5. It was AWFUL drivel. I have read obscure book that were 10,000 X better, and I'll never understand how some garbage sells and brilliance goes undiscovered.

Preacher
12-28-2008, 05:27 PM
I'll probably check it out, if for no other reason than curiosity. I always love to try and "Touch the pulse" of what is hot.

I rememebr reading some Mary Higgins Clarke because she was always a best seller.

I was twice the writer she was when i was 5. It was AWFUL drivel. I have read obscure book that were 10,000 X better, and I'll never understand how some garbage sells and brilliance goes undiscovered.

Revs...

Be aware... it is a teenage love novel.. .so it is chick-flick syrupy. . . but I still enjoyed it!

stillers4me
12-28-2008, 05:35 PM
I never like Mary Higgins Clarke, either. She writes at about a 7th grade reading level.. While Clancy sometimes gives me hadaches with all the details, I enjoy a more character development and plot depth myself. I do love James Patterson for "quick reads."

I got a new Nelson Deville and Steve Berry for Christmas.

I don't think I'd like another vampire saga.

Preacher
12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I never like Mary Higgins Clarke, either. She writes at about a 7th grade reading level.. While Clancy sometimes gives me hadaches with all the details, I enjoy a more character development and plot depth myself. I do love James Patterson for "quick reads."

I got a new Nelson Deville and Steve Berry for Christmas.

I don't think I'd like another vampire saga.

I am a big Clancy fan. fact of the matter, he has ruined most other authors for me because I expect his level of story telling.

I say pick up and read the Twilight series... if you can accept the premise, everything ends up making a whole lot of sense in the book. It is very internally consistent. Also, like I said before, there are a lot of vampire "stereotypes" broken.

If not, tell me of you find another good author. I found Crichton to be decent in research, but not a good story teller. I am always looking for a good author to read.

SteelCurtain7
12-29-2008, 12:22 AM
I'll stick with Eric Wilson's Jerusalem Undead series, the second part coming out in '09:

www.jerusalemsundead.com
www.wilsonwriter.com

Check it out!!!!!!! :guitar:

stillers4me
12-29-2008, 05:31 AM
I am a big Clancy fan. fact of the matter, he has ruined most other authors for me because I expect his level of story telling.

I say pick up and read the Twilight series... if you can accept the premise, everything ends up making a whole lot of sense in the book. It is very internally consistent. Also, like I said before, there are a lot of vampire "stereotypes" broken.

If not, tell me of you find another good author. I found Crichton to be decent in research, but not a good story teller. I am always looking for a good author to read.

Both my husband and I love Nelson Delville. He has a series with John Corey as the main character. Make sure to read them in order because of the character development. Nightfall was my favorite.....it ends on 9-11 and the next one picks up after that. I enjoy Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme novels, too. That series starts with The Bone Collector. (and Lincoln Rhyme is not really a handsome black man that looks like Denzel Washington, but that's what I always picture in my mnd when I read them. :chuckle:). It's best to read those in order, too.

Steve Berry is another author I enjoy. He has quite a few "DaVinci code" type novels out there.

GBMelBlount
12-29-2008, 06:11 AM
I'll have to read some of these authors, but I've always connected well with the Dr. Seuss novels......

revefsreleets
12-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Crichton has brillinat premises, and he does a Helluva lot of research...but you're right, preach, he's just average at spinning a yarn.

Preacher
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Crichton has brillinat premises, and he does a Helluva lot of research...but you're right, preach, he's just average at spinning a yarn.

Exactly. There are times I find myself reading him just for the research. I really wish he would have found a ghost writer to help him.