PDA

View Full Version : Steelers do not control their own destiny

Infamix
12-18-2005, 06:14 PM
If it comes to a 3-way tie with jacksonville, san diego and pittsburgh, san diego will win because of a better conference record :crying02: hopefully, either the chiefs or broncos can beat sd, and we need jacksonville to win or lose 2.

SteelR1
12-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Between Jack, Pitt, SD, and KC, with 2 games left and if this team does this and that team does that, it's so confusing!!

Hopefully If Pitt and Jack win out, were in!!!! Hopefully SD will lose another one and then we should be good, but who knows.

JerseySTEEL
12-18-2005, 06:19 PM
If it comes to a tie we have the tie breaker vs the Bolts so have no idea what your on lol. And YES we control our destiny!

Suitanim
12-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Yes, that's correct. The first consideration is head to head, and we beat SD. Check sources before posting this again...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Yes please get ur facts straight... right now the we win out, we're in.. head to head competition is always the first tie breaker.

Infamix
12-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Get my facts straight? Read my post moron, i said if it comes to a 3-way tie

clevestinks
12-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Like Cowher said " All we`re thinking about is Saturdays Cleve game. Lets take care of business!

Infamix
12-18-2005, 06:45 PM
I agree...but im just saying that we dont control our own destiny because of san diegos win over the colts. If our defense plays like it did today, were in good shape.

Ambridge
12-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Get my facts straight? Read my post moron, i said if it comes to a 3-way tie

Keep up the wishful thinking Fecal Brain.
You'll probably stand a better chance of hitting the Mega Million Lotto than Pittsburgh, Jacksonville and San Diego ending up in a 3-way tie.

Infamix
12-18-2005, 06:49 PM
You idiots still dont get the point of the thread do you? Everybody is saying that we control our own destiny, but that is NOT TRUE. Yes, the chances of a 3-way tie are slim, but we all saw what happened today. The 49ers almost beat the jags, and the chargers ended the colts streak. Also, the only time head-to-head matters in a 3 way tie is if one team beat both of the others. We beat the chargers, but lost to the jags.

tony hipchest
12-18-2005, 07:00 PM
infamix is correct. 2 out of 3 of the possible 3 way ties could kill us.

all of our 5 losses have been against afc opponents= not good.

steelers arent out of the woods yet. if they cant beat baltimore i cant overlook the browns or any other afc opponent.

Infamix
12-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Thats a good point by Tony, the Browns are still a threat.

Suitanim
12-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Holy Christ, let's not split hairs. There is a TINY chance that the Steelers don't make the playoffs at 11-5, but it's not worth mentioning. We win out and we are in...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2005, 07:09 PM
So all the media, the Steelers themselves and everybody says we control our own destiny...and yet we dont ???

ok plain and simple we need to win out the rest of our games we'll be fine...

Infamix
12-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Lets take a look at something important, the Jaguars MUST win both of their next games or lose both of them. Assuming that both the Chargers and Steelers win out, if the Jaguars lose one and win one, we will not make the playoffs at 11-5. I'm really not trying to be negative, I'm just looking at the whole thing realistically. An analyst on the post-game show said that we do control our own destiny, but later corrected himself and said what I just stated above.

tony hipchest
12-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Holy Christ, let's not split hairs. There is a TINY chance that the Steelers don't make the playoffs at 11-5, but it's not worth mentioning. We win out and we are in...

the scary thing is how crAppy jax played against san fransisco today (much like ALOT of their games this year) they could easilly drop one or 2 AND spoil everything. likely? no.

possible? indeed.

tony hipchest
12-18-2005, 07:17 PM
So all the media, the Steelers themselves and everybody says we control our own destiny thats because everyone assumes jax will have a cakewalk through their final 2 games. winning out is still definitely a must and then 3 tough road games for a sb berth.

Suitanim
12-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, you know, a win against JAX that we HAD in our hands, or a win agaisnt Baltimore, either of these Maddox debacles eliminated, and we are not even talking about wild card's, but division titles.

Damn the Steelers for keeping that noodle-armed idiot insurance salesman.

tony hipchest
12-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Well, you know, a win against JAX that we HAD in our hands, or a win agaisnt Baltimore, either of these Maddox debacles eliminated, and we are not even talking about wild card's, but division titles.

Damn the Steelers for keeping that noodle-armed idiot insurance salesman.

you gotta think tommys head will be the one rolling at the end of the season even if we did win the sb. nevermind all the other fans who wanna say not to use him as an excuse. any fan of the game knows his performance is what caused the losses.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2005, 07:28 PM
well u know suit we should be used to this..every year there's a player that just doesnt even come close to justifying his contract..this year its maddox.

Suitanim
12-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Chad Scott last year...

clevestinks
12-18-2005, 07:39 PM
well u know suit we should be used to this..every year there's a player that just doesnt even come close to justifying his contract..this year its maddox.
Maddox and Staley!

figg
12-18-2005, 07:43 PM
3 way tie and we're out.

SteelCityMan786
12-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Steelers And Chiefs Need To Win Next Week So The Steelers Control Their own destiny.

TexaSteeler
12-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Steelers And Chiefs Need To Win Next Week So The Steelers Control Their own destiny.

The Chiefs is not where you want your destiny held.

Sharkissle29
12-19-2005, 02:26 AM
so who do we want to win in the kc vs. sd game?

24seven
12-19-2005, 02:32 AM
We want KC to win.. KC losing to the Giants pretty much ruined there chances at 8-6.. If they beat San Diego that will leave them at 9-6 while we move to 10-5 with a win over the Brownies.. I may be wrong but .... Go Chefs.....San Diego has to go through KC in KC and Denver at home.. the odds are with us so just keep the hope alive and pray it up!

CASTEEL
12-19-2005, 02:55 AM
I can see the chefs losing to the chargers..... I just don't think they have the defense to stop them. I hope I am wrong.
On that note, I can also see the chargers getting whooped by the broncos.
SO...... SD loses one of their last two, we win out and take the 6th spot

One game at a time.....

Here we come brownies!!!

GO STEELERS!!!

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2005, 01:14 PM

The chance of the Steelers not making the playoffs at 11-5 is more than tiny and here is why.

1. Unless LT's ankle is badly hurt, does anyone believe he will not run at will on KC this weekend after Tiki Barber was made to look like the second coming of Emmitt Smith on Saturday against the "tackling" of KC? Chiefs are for some reason favored by 1 point but I bet Chargers win their last 2 games against KC and Denver to finish 11-5.

2. Jax looked horrible against the 49ers. If the Jags win at Houston this weekend, I believe they clinch a playoff berth, presumably would rest starters for their last regular season game against Tennesee, and might not even mind finishing up as the #6 rather than #5 seed to avoid going to New England in the first playoff round. Alternatively, the Jags were bad enough yesterday that losing to the Texans is not out of the question. Put it all together and I see the Jags at 11-5.

3. Due to the Jax loss (the first Maddox fiasco game), Steelers lose a three way tie to Jax and Chargers. This gets back to the Jax loss potentially being a season killer; Maddox admittedly was horrible in that game, but unlike the Baltimore game Cowher could have pulled Maddox for Batch and refused to do so, an act of stubborness that was compounded by not running Bettis in OT when the kickoff return already had the Steelers in FG range prior to Maddox fumbling the snap.

If the Steelers get beaten out by the Chargers it will be disappointing, but the Chargers got it done in Indy, while the Steelers loss to Indy was one of three games in a row in which the Steelers failed to bring their A game (losing to the Ravens even with Maddox was inexcusable) and may now have to pay the price.

RichmondVA
12-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes please get ur facts straight... right now the we win out, we're in.. head to head competition is always the first tie breaker.

As it stands right now you are correct, however things can change that we don't control.

If Pittsburgh wins out, San Diego wins out, and the Jags win out (or lose both) we are in.

If Pittsburgh wins out, San Diego wins out, and the Jags play 500 ball WE ARE OUT.

Head to head works when applicable.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Like Figg stated in a different thread... WE DON'T CONTROL OUR DESTINY! We need things to go our way. Go Chiefs!

Eztarget
12-19-2005, 01:35 PM
What would really suck is the Pats could finish 10-6 and get in above us at 11-5!

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2005, 01:39 PM
What would really suck is the Pats could finish 10-6 and get in above us at 11-5!

No, what will really suck is that the NFC North automatically gets to send a team to the playoffs while the Chargers or Steelers, either of which would beat any team in the NFC North convincingly, will be staying home.

Livinginthe past
12-19-2005, 01:42 PM

Well Boo Hoo.

Seems to me some Pittsburgh fans have only just discovered how the playoffs work - if you dont win your division you dont qualify automatically - this is NOT a recent development.

NM

Ambridge
12-19-2005, 03:23 PM
I offer my apology to Infamix for my comment directed towards him in a previous post of mine in this thread.

The more I start to think about this possible 3 way tie scenario with Jacksonville, San Diego and the Steelers.......the more I get a bad feeling over the whole thing.
How sickening it would be if the spectre of those "Two Tommy Maddox Losses" came back to rear it's ugly head??

It's bad enough those two games cost the Steelers from winning the division but would even make it more worse if they come back to screw the Steelers out of the playoffs on a conference record tie breaker even though they won their final four games of the season.

I hope I'm getting a little ahead of myself and none of the tie breaker formulas come in to play.

Go Kansas City!!

RoethlisBURGHer
12-19-2005, 03:35 PM
I thought that we own any tiebreaker with SD because we beat them.

Sharkissle29
12-19-2005, 03:40 PM
patriots could have won their division at 8-8, its just that bad.

Ambridge
12-19-2005, 03:44 PM
I thought that we own any tiebreaker with SD because we beat them.

Should San Diego win their final two games and Jacksonville loses one of their final two and the Steelers, Jags and Chargers all finish at 11-5 we lose a tie breaker to San Diego because they have the better conference record which trumps the head to head win that Pittsburgh has over the Bolts.

Livinginthe past
12-19-2005, 03:50 PM
patriots could have won their division at 8-8, its just that bad.

Just so know - Miami currently stand at 7-7 and their final two games are against a poor Tennessee team and a Patriots team that, in your little fantasy world, was going to finish 8-8 - I quite like Miami's odds of getting to 9-7 and winning the division...dont you?

To save yourself the embarrassment next time.

1. Click on nfl.com

2. Click on 'Standings'

You will find all the answers you are looking for right there.

NM

Livinginthe past
12-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Should San Diego win their final two games and Jacksonville loses one of their final two and the Steelers, Jags and Chargers all finish at 11-5 we lose a tie breaker to San Diego because they have the better conference record which trumps the head to head win that Pittsburgh has over the Bolts.

Thats exactly right.

Because the Chargers havent played the Jags then the head-2-head is not applicable for all 3 teams so they go to the Conference record.

NM

Suitanim
12-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm going "Glass half full" on this one, we win out, Chargers get beat by the Bronco's, and the Steelers ride a 4 game win streak into the playoffs and beat Cincinnati in the Wild Card game.

Livinginthe past
12-19-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm going "Glass half full" on this one, we win out, Chargers get beat by the Bronco's, and the Steelers ride a 4 game win streak into the playoffs and beat Cincinnati in the Wild Card game.

I agree 100% - I dont see any point in being negative about the whole thing.

Pittsburgh is in alot stronger position than they were 2 weeks ago - at least they have a realistic shot at the post-season now.

Cincy is untested in the playoffs and its difficult to survive without a D in the post-season - I would certainly back the Steelers to keep it real tight in a head-2-head.

NM

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Not to sound biased, but the Bengals don`t scare me. We played well against them the first time. And the second time went toe to toe, even with all our injuries! I`m am not knocking the Bengals. But they are the team that I would won`t first.

Blitzburgh55
12-19-2005, 04:05 PM
we beat San deigo so we got the tie breker

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 04:06 PM
we beat San deigo so we got the tie breker
Only head to head. If its a three way tie, we are out.:redface:

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Assuming the Chiefs do not take care of business this weekend and beat the Chargers, at least we will not be channel surfing the last weekend of the season.

Instead, we can root for Denver to win at San Diego on New Year's Eve afternoon.

Then we watch the Steelers beat the Lions starting at 1 p.m. on New Year's Day.

Then, if matters are not worked out, we can sweat out the Tennessee-Jax game starting at 4:00 on New Year's Day (raise your hand if you thought we would give a damn about that game at the start of the year).

This is exactly the way Tags and the NFL hierarchy want these end of the season playoff races to end up, but it looks like it is going to be nerve wracking.

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Man what a way to nurse a hang over!

Sharkissle29
12-19-2005, 06:02 PM
so we want KC to win, correct?

augustashark
12-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Chargers got it done in Indy???? Atlanta Dan, our Steelers got it done in San Diego!!!!!

Take your half glass empty attitude and going the Lions fans. Real Steelers fans don't give up until the last second has ticked off in the final game!!!!

We believe, now and always.

It's OK to be objective, but I did not get that feeling from your post.

Dawson for HOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

augustashark
12-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Also KC is not out of it.....They are 7-3 in the AFC and if they beat SD this weekend then both of them would be at 9-6 but would hold tie breaker over them. then all they would need is for us to lose one out of two, and they would be in as the 6th seed!

With that you would hope that KC will bring it on Sat!!!!!!!!!!

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-19-2005, 06:34 PM
You know if Den. looses both of its final two and S.D. wins out we are out.

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Chargers got it done in Indy???? Atlanta Dan, our Steelers got it done in San Diego!!!!!

Take your half glass empty attitude and going the Lions fans. Real Steelers fans don't give up until the last second has ticked off in the final game!!!!

We believe, now and always.

It's OK to be objective, but I did not get that feeling from your post.

Dawson for HOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will always root for the Steelers and hope for the best, but in terms of being "objective" consider the following facts:

1. Jax needs to win only once and, if that victory is on Saturday, has every reason to rest its starters and not care if it wins against Tennessee the next week. If you think I am not being "objective" on this point, check out Ed Bouchette's analysis in the Post-Gazette tomorrow - not certain if it will be in the publicly accessible pages or Black & Gold Insider, but trust me that Ed.B. will be writing about the danger of counting on Jax to win its last 2 games :)

2. The Chiefs have suffered 2 terrible road losses, in which their defense has been awful. For the Chiefs to make the playoffs it is necessary for: the Chiefs to win their last two games; San Diego to lose its last two games, and Pittsburgh to lose one of its last two games. That is not great knowledge for the Chiefs to be carrying into Saturday's game. The San Diego-Chiefs line opened at Chiefs favored by 1 and has gone to even.
Assuming pointspreads reflect anticipated results, the money is moving to San Diego when homefield advantage has the home team favored by 3 when 2 teams are even. We all are hoping for the Chiefs to win this week (after rooting against them the last 2 weeks) but would you put money on them to do it?

3. San Diego will be favored to beat Denver if San Diego beats KC this week.

Please tell me what is not objective about this.

CASTEEL
12-19-2005, 07:17 PM
All this is makeing me dizzy...... :doh:

I think I'll just root for our boys and see what happens.......:hope::hope:

GO STEELERS!!!

Livinginthe past
12-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Another factor to be taken into account from the Jax point of view - where would they rather play their wild card game?

As it stands the choice is going to be in Cincy or in New England...if I was Jax I know where id rather be playing.

NM

rowedf
12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
I read the first couple pages and really wondered why you guys think its such a "slim" chance that it could be a three way tie? I actually think the completely opposite, I think its more likely to be a 3 way tie than us being tied with the chargers. Jacksonville looked bad this week, real bad. It's very very possible that they will loose one of their remaining 2 games. Everyone was saying we control our own destiny because SD was "supposed" to loose against the Colts, then everything would have been peachy.

1. We need to win out
2. We want the Cheifs to beat the Chargers
3. We want the Jags to win 2 or loose 2, NOT split.

Steel Fury
12-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Right now we are the sixth seed and if things finish out this way we go to NE for the wild card correct? Jags would go to Cincy?

Livinginthe past
12-20-2005, 09:05 AM
No.3 seed always plays at home to the 6th seed.

No.4 seed always plays at home to the 5th seed.

As it stands, this means :

Jax @ Patriots

Steelers @ Cincy

NM

clevestinks
12-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Two weeks to go! Then Ill let you know who we play, An I bet I`ll be right~ LOL

Suitanim
12-20-2005, 09:32 AM
If KC doesn't knock off SD, then Denver will. No way does Chokenheimer win 3 games in a row that they desperately need to win...

Jax backing into the playoffs is a joke. They are playing awful football right now, and are just playoff fodder for whatever team is lucky enough to draw them in the Wild Card game.

clevestinks
12-20-2005, 10:34 AM
If KC doesn't knock off SD, then Denver will. No way does Chokenheimer win 3 games in a row that they desperately need to win...

Jax backing into the playoffs is a joke. They are playing awful football right now, and are just playoff fodder for whatever team is lucky enough to draw them in the Wild Card game.
Good point Suit, I totally forgot about the "Marty Factor":grin:

SteelerFanInCA
12-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Although the Chargettes took down Indy last Sunday, I still think it's going to be a difficult task for them to win their next two. Denver will also be fighting for the second first round bye spot.

tony hipchest
12-20-2005, 05:24 PM
i would bet on jax losing 1 of 2 down the stretch. they lost to the titans last year with a playoff bid on the line. they have played down to their competition all season. they flat out suck. and a team like k.c., s.d., or pitt who could actually do something in the playoffs will get the shaft. if they win 1 more game they could use the final week to rest all their players.

the best case scenario is cinci and denver to be battling the final week for the bye week. s.d. must lose atleast one.

jacksonvill probably doesnt even want the #5 seed. a florida team isnt going to foxboro and win in the winter let alone against the playoff savy champs. theyd be lucky just to score. ask tampa bay or miami.