PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to be the 2 than the 1 seed?

warddj86
12-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Is it actually better to be the two seed than to be in Tennessee's position at the 1 seed?

Think about it, neither us nor Tennessee will play until the second round, and we will play the 3 or 6 seed, while Tennessee plays either the 4 or 5 seed, so if things play out as I expect them to, it'll be like this:

Tennessee vs. Indianapolis/Denver/San Diego
Pittsburgh vs. Miami/ New England/ NY Jets/ Baltimore

I personally think we'll play Baltimore and Tennessee will play Indianapolis, which I think is advantage Pittsburgh.

If Indy beats Tennessee like I think they would, than we'd play Indy in the AFC Championship Game.

I think we're fine for the playoffs.

:sofunny:

steelerchad
12-27-2008, 06:26 PM
While I believe your initial statement may be true that we are better off with the 2 seed. Your example is wrong. There is no way we can play Baltimore or any other 6 seed for that matter until the AFCC game. If the 6 seed beats the 3 seed they automatically go to Tennessee, since the 1 seed gets the lowest seeded team left after the wildcard games. However, since I believe both the 5 and 6 seeds are likely to be stronger than the 3 and 4 seeds we have a decent chance of getting an easier game. I believe what we should hope for is that the wildcard teams split the games, meaning one 3 or 4 seeded team wins and one 5 or 6 seeded team wins but not both. This is somewhat likely as the 3 and 4 seeds will have homefield. This scenario would then send Baltimore or the Colts to Tennesse while sending us the Chargers/Broncos or Miami/Pats/Jets.

In this case, we would either get the West champion at 9-7 or 8-8. Or the East champion, who all beat up on the AFC West and NFC West, the 2 weakest divisions in football. All 3 of the East contenders have had extremely soft schedules as I've posted in a previous post.

But again, I do agree with you that we could be better off as the #2.

HometownGal
12-27-2008, 07:09 PM
With the Colts, and particularly Peyton Manning, surging ahead at just about full speed over the last 6 weeks or so and the odds of winning 3 games against the Rats in one season not being sound, I don't take either team lightly. It doesn't much matter to me if we are the #1 or the #2 - we have a bye in the first round which will give our walking wounded time to heal and get ready to do battle with whatever team is unlucky enough to land us as their opponent! :tt02:

T&B fan
12-27-2008, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=brick;505344
here are the superbowl winning teams of this decade and their playoff seed in parentheses:
'08: giants (5)
'07: colts (3)
'06: steelers (6)
'05: patriots (2)
'04: patriots (1)
'03: buccs (2)
'02: patriots (2)
'01: ravens (4)

:[/QUOTE]

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30347

PalmerSteel
12-27-2008, 10:11 PM
yeah. your thinking is wrong. highest seed always plays lowest seed and so on. would prefer a 1 seed. but history has defniately proven that the seed doesnt matter. we have lost a lot of home playoff games and won it all on all road games and seeds 5 and 6 are tougher teams imo than seeds 3 and 4 so who knows.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Don't care who the Steelers play. You have to beat whoever is handed to you.

BozMan
12-27-2008, 11:06 PM
I can envision anyone outside the East and West winners to represent the AFC in the SB this year. Still a very tough, competitive conference. Nobody will have an easy path.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2008, 11:09 PM
I can envision anyone outside the East and West winners to represent the AFC in the SB this year. Still a very tough, competitive conference. Nobody will have an easy path.

The Toughest Games always in the AFC come playoff time. :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
12-28-2008, 06:17 AM
I don't care what seed we play we just need to be ready to play ball because whoever we play it is going to be a tough game and we better play better then we did against tennessee are we will be making an early exit from the playoffs.

Texasteel
12-28-2008, 06:32 AM
I don't think that it really make that much difference to our team. I just didn't want to play the Ravens again this year. As far as home field is concerned, I really don't think the Titans will win one game in the playoffs.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Don't care who the Steelers play. You have to beat whoever is handed to you.

That's exactly how I feel as well......Although it is always nice to occasionally play the Browns, Bungles or a competitive high school team....:chuckle:

markymarc
12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't care who comes to Pittsburgh in 2 weekends. I am happy we got the bye week and we just need to take care of business in 2 weeks.

lilyoder6
12-28-2008, 06:44 PM
i just think ppl matter to be either 1 of the top 2 seeds.. b/c then at least u get a bye

LambertLunatic58
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I agree that getting the bye is the biggest hurdle, from there there will not be any easy games anyway.:tt03:

BlastFurnace
12-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't be too excited to be the one's playing San Diego in the 1st Round. They are healthy and rolling.

Dino 6 Rings
12-28-2008, 08:50 PM
We get the higher seed after next week.
Dolphins are 3
Chargers are 4
Colts are 5
Ravens are 6

Ravens at Dolphins
Colts at Chargers

Pick your poison.

warddj86
12-28-2008, 11:45 PM
We get the higher seed after next week.
Dolphins are 3
Chargers are 4
Colts are 5
Ravens are 6

Ravens at Dolphins
Colts at Chargers

Pick your poison.

Pray that the dolphins beat the ravens, cuz i want them instead of indy come divisional round

verks36
12-29-2008, 01:38 AM
no.
In the beggining of the season if they gave you an option every one would pick the one seed