PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Pittsburgh Steelers Schedule: Sneak Peak

mesaSteeler
12-28-2008, 08:58 AM
2009 Pittsburgh Steelers Schedule: Sneak Peak
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/97201-2009-pittsburgh-steelers-schedule-sneak-peak
by John Stepnick (Scribe)

December 27, 2008

With a week to go in the season, the Steelers schedule for 2009 is almost set. Here's a sneak peak at what we'll be looking at.

For those who don't know how the schedule is made, here's a quick breakdown:

- Home and away against all divisional opponents
- One game against all teams in one other division from your conference (two home, two away)
- One game against all teams in one division from the other conference (two home, two away)
- One game against teams from your conference from divisions you don't play that finish in the same position as your team (one home, one away).

Since the Steelers played the AFC South this year, and the AFC East the year before, it is our turn to play the AFC West. In 2006 (the last time we played the AFC West), we played Kansas City and Denver at home, which means we will play them away next year.

The cycle of NFC opponents brings the Steelers to the NFC North, a slate of teams they haven't seen since 2005. In '05, we saw Chicago and Detroit at Heinz Field, which means we'll get to see both Aaron Rodgers and Adrian Peterson at Heinz Field next season. This also gives us the potential for a Thanksgiving Day game against Detroit.

Finally, since we won the AFC North, we get the AFC South and AFC East division champions. The last time we played the AFC West, we played our East equivalent (then Miami) at home and our South equivalent (then Jacksonville) away. It will flip for 2009 and we will see the South Champion (Tennessee) at home and the face East Champion (currently undecided, could be anyone except Buffalo) away.

So, with that in mind, here is the Steelers 2009 list of opponents:

Home Games
Baltimore
Cleveland
Cincinnati
San Diego
Oakland
Green Bay
Minnesota
Tennessee

Away Games
Baltimore
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Kansas City
Denver
Chicago
Detroit
AFC East Champion (MIA/NE/NYJ)

LambertIsGod58
12-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Looks like a much better schedule next year. Maybe the league gave up after seeing how we've handled the toughest schedule since the leagues were merged.

Lukebok5150
12-28-2008, 09:30 AM
About time we get an easier schedule, which really doesn't matter, we came through one of the toughest schedules of all time this year. I say to the NFL give us any kind of schedule you want, we'll meet it head on

GO STEELERS!!!

Lukebok5150
12-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Looks like a much better schedule next year. Maybe the league gave up after seeing how we've handled the toughest schedule since the leagues were merged.

ALL HAIL LAMBERT!!!

The Greatest Lineback of All-Time!
(and don't forget it)

stillers4me
12-28-2008, 09:33 AM
The problem is that Cleve/Cinci/ Balt will also have an easier schedule. Balitimore is never an easy game for us regardless, but Cinci and Cleve will be yapping about how "good" they are. Should be a good time.

Hapa
12-28-2008, 10:07 AM

The league doesn't pick and choose who we play. It's just based on the formula he gave us. No one sits down and tries his best to make all the schedules fair, they just use the formula, and that's final

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 10:18 AM
That Tennessee game is NOT in Pittsburgh. I read it was in Nashville.

I'd recommend waiting until we see the release of schedule by the NFL. They'll release opponents this week.

Guttpuppy
12-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Good info...

markymarc
12-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Good stuff to know and thanks for posting. I just don't want to see another bad game when Oakland comes to town. Have to beat the Raiders.

lilyoder6
12-28-2008, 06:26 PM
thats pretty interesting...

a thanksgiving GAME..... :o

X-Terminator
12-28-2008, 07:04 PM
That Tennessee game is NOT in Pittsburgh. I read it was in Nashville.

I'd recommend waiting until we see the release of schedule by the NFL. They'll release opponents this week.

I believe you are correct. The Steelers played the East champion (NE) on the road and the West champion (SD) at home. So they'll play the East champion at home next season (MIA) and the South champion (TEN) on the road.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I believe you are correct. The Steelers played the East champion (NE) on the road and the West champion (SD) at home. So they'll play the East champion at home next season (MIA) and the South champion (TEN) on the road.

That's what I thought.

But remember as I said, wait until they announce it for official word.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 09:11 PM
2009 Pittsburgh Steelers Schedule: Sneak Peak
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/97201-2009-pittsburgh-steelers-schedule-sneak-peak
by John Stepnick (Scribe)

December 27, 2008

With a week to go in the season, the Steelers schedule for 2009 is almost set. Here's a sneak peak at what we'll be looking at.

For those who don't know how the schedule is made, here's a quick breakdown:

- Home and away against all divisional opponents
- One game against all teams in one other division from your conference (two home, two away)
- One game against all teams in one division from the other conference (two home, two away)
- One game against teams from your conference from divisions you don't play that finish in the same position as your team (one home, one away).

Since the Steelers played the AFC South this year, and the AFC East the year before, it is our turn to play the AFC West. In 2006 (the last time we played the AFC West), we played Kansas City and Denver at home, which means we will play them away next year.

The cycle of NFC opponents brings the Steelers to the NFC North, a slate of teams they haven't seen since 2005. In '05, we saw Chicago and Detroit at Heinz Field, which means we'll get to see both Aaron Rodgers and Adrian Peterson at Heinz Field next season. This also gives us the potential for a Thanksgiving Day game against Detroit.

Finally, since we won the AFC North, we get the AFC South and AFC East division champions. The last time we played the AFC West, we played our East equivalent (then Miami) at home and our South equivalent (then Jacksonville) away. It will flip for 2009 and we will see the South Champion (Tennessee) at home and the face East Champion (currently undecided, could be anyone except Buffalo) away.

So, with that in mind, here is the Steelers 2009 list of opponents:

Home Games
Baltimore
Cleveland
Cincinnati
San Diego
Oakland
Green Bay
Minnesota
Tennessee

Away Games
Baltimore
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Kansas City
Denver
Chicago
Detroit
AFC East Champion (MIA/NE/NYJ)

I guess John didn't find out that the last AFC East Equivalent(New England) played the Steelers at home. Therefore the Steelers will host the AFC East Equivalent under his logic. AFC South Equivalent, which would be Tennessee would host the Steelers.

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Oh, LOL. This should be funny.

Rhee Rhee
12-29-2008, 07:54 AM
am i the only one who thinks the miami fairy-tale will come to an end next season?

Fire Haley
01-03-2009, 08:18 AM
am i the only one who thinks the miami fairy-tale will come to an end next season?

Looking at their schedule....I would have to say "yes".
They are next years Browns.

Miami -09

x2 Bills 7-9
x2 Pats 11-5
x2 Jets 9-7

Bucs 9-7
Saints 8-8
Falcons 11-5
Panthers 12-4
Steelers 12-4
Chargers 8-8
Jaguars 5-11
Texans 8-8
Titans 13-3
Colts 12-4

TackleMeBen
01-03-2009, 12:25 PM
i know what to ask for my birthday this year. tickets to the steelers/lions game..lol

WWIIOwheelz
01-03-2009, 12:31 PM
After this season, I'm shocked to not see much of the NFC East on our schedule! We fared quite well against them, though. The Giants game this year was a heartbreaker, but otherwise a really good, tough game.

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 12:34 PM
All though not official nice to see an easier schedule for the Steelers, but is this good or bad new? Maybe the Steelers play better under the pressure of tougher teams and schedules so lets hope they don't get profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery and have a great season next year and once again get in the playoffs.

WindyCitySteelerFan
01-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't think this schedule is as easy as it looks at first glance, but better than this years.

Home Games
Baltimore - never easy
Cleveland - W
Cincinnati - W
San Diego - a very good team
Oakland - finally learning how to play offense, could be dangerous
Green Bay - could easily return to playoff form
Minnesota - a good young team, with a tough run D
Miami - Assuming no let down fromthis year, this team will be dangerous

Away GamesBaltimore
Baltimore- see above
Cleveland- W
Cincinnati- W
Kansas City - W
Denver - They will improve the D in the offseason and get thier RBs back
Chicago- who knows
Detroit - W
Tennessee- mayeb due for a let down going back to VY

I don't think we have much to worry about here in Chicago.. Plus there is quite the local Steeler crew.. We will take over.:tt03::tt03::tt03:

SteelCityMan786
01-04-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't think we have much to worry about here in Chicago.. Plus there is quite the local Steeler crew.. We will take over.:tt03::tt03::tt03:

We take each stadium over. 1 Team at a time.

Sharkissle29
01-04-2009, 02:57 AM

Amen to that. You can bet your ass me and my buddies (bears fans unfortunately) will be at that game. Cant remember the last time the steelers played in chicago.

Galax Steeler
01-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Amen to that. You can bet your ass me and my buddies (bears fans unfortunately) will be at that game. Cant remember the last time the steelers played in chicago.

That should be a good game I wouldn't mind seeing some snow in that game.

X-Terminator
01-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Looking at their schedule....I would have to say "yes".
They are next years Browns.

Miami -09

x2 Bills 7-9
x2 Pats 11-5
x2 Jets 9-7

Bucs 9-7
Saints 8-8
Falcons 11-5
Panthers 12-4
Steelers 12-4
Chargers 8-8
Jaguars 5-11
Texans 8-8
Titans 13-3
Colts 12-4

Ouch. That HAS to be a tougher schedule than the Steelers had this season. Only 3 games against teams with sub-.500 records and 7 games against teams with at least 11 wins this season. If they win more than 6 games, I'd be stunned.

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 10:37 AM
poor dolphins... that will be 1 hard ass sch next yr.. hopefully they can get some more weapons on off to help out