PDA

View Full Version : Props to Arians, I'm serious!

Steelers & I
12-28-2008, 02:49 PM
This coming from a season long Bruce Arians basher. Great game plan today Bruce. I don't know who was actually responsible for implementing the heavily called for I FORMATION but nonetheless, BRAVO BABY!

Sure I realize that it was only the Cleveland Browns but damn, that rushing attack looked good today BABY! I'm not trying to say I told you so but this has been my primary gripe with Arians all season, the fact that he failed to utilize the I Formation with a lead blocking FB.

That was a great step in the right direction. Look out AFC, here come the Pittsburgh Steelers! :tt02::tt::tt03::drink::hug::applaudit::hatsoff:

Dino 6 Rings
12-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I have to agree, the play calling was very good today.

HometownGal
12-28-2008, 03:01 PM
OMG - has hell frozen over??? :chuckle::wink02:

Arians really isn't the anti-Christ some of the bashers make him out to be. The OL did its job today and the running game prospered. 1 + 1 = 2. :thumbsup:

Edman
12-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Arians did a wonderful job for the offense today. I've ragged on the guy, but he did a great job today.

It also helps that there were few dropped balls today too.

X-Terminator
12-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I just picked up my broken jaw off the floor... :jawdrop:

tony hipchest
granted, it was only the browns, but props to you.

Rick5895
Play selection was better, the O seemed more in sync, but it was Cleveland. The I formation was a long time coming.

Steelers & I
12-28-2008, 03:18 PM

Arians really isn't the anti-Christ some of the bashers make him out to be. The OL did its job today and the running game prospered. 1 + 1 = 2. :thumbsup:

Come on now Gal, yes the O-line did play better today but, you have to admit that we saw more runs from the I-Formation today then we have all season and it was quite effective. :applaudit:

Texasteel
12-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Its nice to see him get some credit after taking a beatin all year.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 03:59 PM
One of Bruce's Bashers giving him props. HOLY SHIT!!!

43Hitman
12-28-2008, 04:04 PM
This coming from a season long Bruce Arians basher. Great game plan today Bruce. I don't know who was actually responsible for implementing the heavily called for I FORMATION but nonetheless, BRAVO BABY!

Sure I realize that it was only the Cleveland Browns but damn, that rushing attack looked good today BABY! I'm not trying to say I told you so but this has been my primary gripe with Arians all season, the fact that he failed to utilize the I Formation with a lead blocking FB.

That was a great step in the right direction. Look out AFC, here come the Pittsburgh Steelers! :tt02::tt::tt03::drink::hug::applaudit::hatsoff:

Props to you bro. I can admire someone who is wiling to give credit where credit is due. Me, like you, was very happy to see the I-formation today. I have been praying for that all season.:drink:

Steelers & I
12-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Props to you bro. I can admire someone who is wiling to give credit where credit is due. Me, like you, was very happy to see the I-formation today. I have been praying for that all season.:drink:

That surround sound was awesome. It was nice hearing that FB grunt and his pads POPPING as he absorbed the initial defender at the line of scrimmage. Sean McHugh played a damn good game today. How about that 1st and goal run? SWEEET and uncontested. The I Formation, I LOVE IT!

43Hitman
12-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah that was a sweet 1st and goal run. I loved it.:tt02:

zsheik22
12-28-2008, 04:39 PM

I agree 100%. He came in, threw some quick slants, threw some TE options and drags and look what happened. He was opening up the running game, instead of just running draws over and over again and trying to get it out that way.

GodofGridiron
12-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Wonderful playcalling....but what facilitated all of this was the great blockin from the line and the fullback that resulted in good yardage to set up some 2nd and nominal or 3rd and very shorts. Those situations make it very easy for an OC to call a great game.

Props to Bruce............i didnt think you had it in you. Surprise me for 3 more games.

Preacher
12-28-2008, 05:25 PM
The other side of the coin... Is Willie parker.

I have said for a while that he is just on the cusp. He seems to have finally found that 5th gear today.

I think we may be DANGEROUS coming into the playoffs!

markymarc
12-28-2008, 06:29 PM
While I still can't stand Arians, I will give him credit for calling a good game today. I won't get all excited though because it was only the Stains. Now all I ask is for Arians to keep his head out of his ass for our first playoff game in 2 weeks.

lilyoder6
12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
that was all of gary russell running the ball today on the 3rd and short early in the game and that td run... lol

HometownGal
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Come on now Gal, yes the O-line did play better today but, you have to admit that we saw more runs from the I-Formation today then we have all season and it was quite effective. :applaudit:

True, but remember - it was ONLY the BROWNS. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 07:59 PM

Never thought I'd see a thread giving props to him on this site this year.

stillers4me
12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Never thought I'd see a thread giving props to him on this site this year.

That's because the play calling today was surprisingly good. Hey, I'll give the man his props for today. It seems that everyone singing his praises today because of the play calling are the same ones that won't admit it was lousy in previous games. Better play calling.....better game. Isn't that what we wanted all along? (funny thing about that play calling......same players, better results :hunch:)

But that's an argument for another day. For now........Here we go, Steelers!! On to the playoffs and Lombardi #6! :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 08:08 PM
That's because the play calling today was surprisingly good. Hey, I'll give the man his props for today. It seems that everyone singing his praises today because of the play calling are the same ones that won't admit it was lousy in previous games. Better play calling.....better game. Isn't that what we wanted all along? (funny thing about that play calling......same players, better results :hunch:)

But that's an argument for another day. For now........Here we go, Steelers!! On to the playoffs and Lombardi #6! :tt03:

I don't give him all the hassle for problems during losses. If the players don't produce, that's not something he can control.

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2008, 08:18 PM
i'll hold my props till, i see it 2 games in a row. :coffee: ....just like the no huddle, and the short / 3 step passing game, thats actually been effective, WHEN, its been used !!! thats my gripe with arians ....he doesn't stick with whats working.... yet he'll run the same stupid plays ( draws) 10 times in a game when it failed the 9 times before....:banging:...

XxKnightxX
12-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Well I do like how he used the I formation. But one, It was the browns, and two, as well as Sean McHugh put his body out there, he did get soft on some blocks. McHugh has to have a mentality that he has to run into a brick wall and push it back. And if you are going to use the I formation

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Dan_Kreider_2006.jpg

SIGN THIS GUY FOR CHRISTS SAKE

tony hipchest
12-28-2008, 08:38 PM
It seems that everyone singing his praises today because of the play calling are the same ones that won't admit it was lousy in previous games. Better play calling.

ACTUALLY it seems like the only ones who are "singing his praises" are the ones who have relentlessly bashed him (see this thread for instance), while it is the ones who have defended arians, are the ones reminding those hopping on the bandwagon that it was only the browns.

:noidea: i guess everyones perception of reality differs. (my perception is that those who have defended arians and declined the weekly bashing, are those more grounded in reality- but thats just me.)

Steelman16
12-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I have officially seen it all now. :chuckle:

Regardless of which team we played, forward progress is always a nice thing.

If we could generate some offense like that with (a hopefully healthy!) Ben for an entire game, we wouldn't even need our #1 D.
:tt02:

XxKnightxX
12-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Trust me Tony, Im not a Arians supporter but I am not a guy who says that we should fire him this isntant and that we should hire a new one. I know things dont work like that since it can be worse, Look at the browns, no TD's in 24 quarters, Ill take our offense over theirs any day.

Steelers & I
12-28-2008, 09:05 PM
ACTUALLY it seems like the only ones who are "singing his praises" are the ones who have relentlessly bashed him (see this thread for instance), while it is the ones who have defended arians, are the ones reminding those hopping on the bandwagon that it was only the browns.

:noidea: i guess everyones perception of reality differs. (my perception is that those who have defended arians and declined the weekly bashing, are those more grounded in reality- but thats just me.)

Be nice for once Tony, can you do that?:chuckle:

I don't know if anyone has "hopped on the Arians bandwagon" just yet. I just see people giving Arians props for calling a good game, which he did. I just hope that it continues.

I attribute a lot of todays success to the I-Formation run plays which were FINALLY used at a greater extent. I'll be interested to see if anyone asks Tomlin about it. I would like to know if Arians chose to run more from the I-Form, or if Tomlin ordered him to implement into his game plan more often?

tony hipchest
12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Be nice for once Tony, can you do that?:chuckle:

?i thought i could try, but then i saw your new avitar. :noidea:

that pict has browns/bungles written all over it.

43Hitman
12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
i thought i could try, but then i saw your new avitar. :noidea:

that pict has browns/bungles written all over it.

they are in there somewhere. She was one hungry gal.

DJfan
12-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Props to BA.

Now fire him.

BehindSteelCurtain
12-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I think the O-Line just played better.

xbroughneck
12-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Well I do like how he used the I formation. But one, It was the browns, and two, as well as Sean McHugh put his body out there, he did get soft on some blocks. McHugh has to have a mentality that he has to run into a brick wall and push it back.

Thank you. Arians called a good game today, so he gets my props. But him aside, can we please have a fullback that knows how to block effectively. McHugh would have been a fly on a windshield if the Browns had a decent defense.

Today we had good playcalling. We also had that good play calling against the Browns.

We won't face the browns in the playoffs. We'll play much better defenses.

BozMan
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Good job, BA and Willie. Thank you for the I-formations.

meelanova
12-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Im all fpr running out of passing formations but it Im glad to see the I-form still around.

XxKnightxX
12-29-2008, 09:34 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Dan_Kreider_2006.jpg

Sign him pleeease O=)

meelanova
12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Look at Faneca's face lol

revefsreleets
12-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Run the ball 25+ times? Check!
Run Willie outside? Check!
Use Moore on 3rd downs? Check!
Run Russell short yardage situations? Check!

End result is 32 rushes for 171 and a 5.3 YPC average. Sure, it's just the Browns, but we got the running game back on track in time for the postseason.

The Duke
12-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Look at Faneca's face lol

Hey, that reminds me, Faneca is missing the playoffs after taking his big contract :laughing:

DACEB
12-29-2008, 12:11 PM
I'll give the props to Tomlin. IMO, he probably had more to do with the changes in the gameplan than BA.

fansince'76
12-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey, that reminds me, Faneca is missing the playoffs after taking his big contract :laughing:

Ehh, he already got his ring. And since those cheap-assed Rooneys mistreated him and forced him to work for slave wages, he has to make that up somehow. Besides, he'd have to take a "pay cut (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/12/22/takes/index.html)" to play in the playoffs, so it's probably all for the best anyway. :rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Run the ball 25+ times? Check!
Run Willie outside? Check!
Use Moore on 3rd downs? Check!
Run Russell short yardage situations? Check!

End result is 32 rushes for 171 and a 5.3 YPC average. Sure, it's just the Browns, but we got the running game back on track in time for the postseason.

You pretty much called out the blueprint in that post last week!!! I wouldnt sell the Browns that short as while they dont rank high in rush defense, Rogers, D'Quell Jackson, McGinist, Williams and Davis are all good defenders against the run.

I think a big difference was that Kemo played a good game and they stuck with the run. If they run and Kemo goes missing in action like he has recently, then it wouldnt look that impressive.

atlsteelers
12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
i still hate arians. maybe he can change my mind on february 1st

revefsreleets
12-30-2008, 11:16 AM
You pretty much called out the blueprint in that post last week!!! I wouldnt sell the Browns that short as while they dont rank high in rush defense, Rogers, D'Quell Jackson, McGinist, Williams and Davis are all good defenders against the run.

I think a big difference was that Kemo played a good game and they stuck with the run. If they run and Kemo goes missing in action like he has recently, then it wouldnt look that impressive.

I'd like to see us commit to the run (even if it fails at first) during our postseason run. It's hard to judge whether something works or not until a rythym is established. 25 runs seems like a fair number to me, especially if we mix it up amongst all 3 backs like we did against Cleveland.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2008, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see us commit to the run (even if it fails at first) during our postseason run. It's hard to judge whether something works or not until a rythym is established. 25 runs seems like a fair number to me, especially if we mix it up amongst all 3 backs like we did against Cleveland.

Yeah, I would like to see that too, with McHugh lead blocking and hopefully the Colts defense to grind it out against. Wear them down, keep Manning off the field and when he gets there the Steelers D will be well rested to bring some heat!!!

Fire Haley
12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree, we should trade Arians to Cleveland for their #1 draft pick.

It's only fair.

markymarc
12-31-2008, 06:13 AM
Yeah, I would like to see that too, with McHugh lead blocking and hopefully the Colts defense to grind it out against. Wear them down, keep Manning off the field and when he gets there the Steelers D will be well rested to bring some heat!!!

I really hope Arians is smart enough to keep using McHugh in the I formation come our playoff run. Forget running out of the 2 TE formation, just line up McHugh back there and let him hit someone. If we do play the Colts again I really think this could work to our favor. I may be wrong, but I don't think we used the I formation last time against the Colts. Beat them down physically and use play action.

DACEB
12-31-2008, 06:39 AM
I really hope Arians is smart enough to keep using McHugh in the I formation come our playoff run. Forget running out of the 2 TE formation, just line up McHugh back there and let him hit someone. If we do play the Colts again I really think this could work to our favor. I may be wrong, but I don't think we used the I formation last time against the Colts. Beat them down physically and use play action.

That opens things up deep down field as well, with playaction. Hell, it opens everything up. McHugh can catch out of the backfield as well, so that opens up many of the plays BA actually likes to run with the TE at FB playing H-back. It all goes back to setting things up for later in the game.

markymarc
12-31-2008, 07:12 AM
That opens things up deep down field as well, with playaction. Hell, it opens everything up. McHugh can catch out of the backfield as well, so that opens up many of the plays BA actually likes to run with the TE at FB playing H-back. It all goes back to setting things up for later in the game.

I totally agree. And that is the key to setting things up for later in the game. We can only hope and pray McHugh sees a lot of playing time on 1/11/09. It can only be bonus for our offense.

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 09:31 AM
It's working so far...I can't envision any scenario in which we took somehting out of the playbook that showed success.