PDA

View Full Version : How about Lefty?

SteelCurtain7
12-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Way to go in mop-up duty, Lord Byron. Keep it up, man. :tt:

GodofGridiron
12-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Some might disagree with me but i feel Byron is as good of a Quarterback for this system as Ben. Ben can keep plays alive with his improvisation but thats the only significant advantage he has over Byron. He's just as accurate if not moreso than Ben and he's goes thru all of his progressions whereby Ben will get happy feet and try to extend a play.

Fortunately we have one of the best backups in football.

stillers4me
12-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't mind them making Leftwich an offer he couldn't refuse to stay as backup.

This year, more than ever, the whole league has learned the value of good backup quarterbacks.

GodofGridiron
12-28-2008, 05:56 PM
DO NOT compare Byron to Ben. Especially not at a time like this.

Ummm.......why not ? Apples to apples..........whats so sacred about commenting on the results of what we've seen this year from Ben and from Byron's play ? Folks are so eager to compare Ben to Farve or even Bradshaw..........

Huge props again to Byron......not takin anything away from Ben but i saw very efficient QB play from our backup who moved this offense well.

stillers4me
12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Huge props again to Byron......not takin anything away from Ben but i saw very efficient QB play from our backup who moved this offense well.

I'm happy Byron is here to help us out this year, and I'd like to see him stay.

Blonde Bomber
12-28-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm happy Byron is here to help us out this year, and I'd like to see him stay.

I do like that he makes quicker decisions than Ben, and changes the pace of our offense. I doubt he will be here next year, there a lot of teams that could use him. I wish we had some leverage to move him for a bruising back.

tony hipchest
12-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Ummm.......why not ? Apples to apples..........whats so sacred about commenting on the results of what we've seen this year from Ben and from Byron's play ? Folks are so eager to compare Ben to Farve or even Bradshaw..........

Huge props again to Byron......not takin anything away from Ben but i saw very efficient QB play from our backup who moved this offense well.better to compare a superbowl winner to other superbowl winners as opposed to comparing a non-superbowl winner to our lord and savior...

apples to apples.

Preacher
12-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Personally, from what I saw today...

I am happy with either QB behind center right now.

I hope it is Ben. I hope he is okay. However, if it is Byron... well, I am just as happy. I was quite impressed with him in the Washington game, and again now.

This team is built to win from the ground up.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Personally, from what I saw today...

I am happy with either QB behind center right now.

I hope it is Ben. I hope he is okay. However, if it is Byron... well, I am just as happy. I was quite impressed with him in the Washington game, and again now.

Completely agree.

WV-SteelerFan
12-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Some might disagree with me but i feel Byron is as good of a Quarterback for this system as Ben. Ben can keep plays alive with his improvisation but thats the only significant advantage he has over Byron. He's just as accurate if not moreso than Ben and he's goes thru all of his progressions whereby Ben will get happy feet and try to extend a play.

Fortunately we have one of the best backups in football.

Seems to me that there was a reason he was available...:noidea:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a quote from Quincy Carter from 2004.
(I think it's appropriate here)
"...One thing I know is that everybody loves the backup. So when you're a starter, you understand that when you're not playing well, everybody's going to love the guy who's sitting behind you..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GodofGridiron
12-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Cant say it better myself. God, i cant believe ur comparing Ben to Byron. Thats an enormous middle finger to.....well.....most of us on the forums. We love both no doubt, but we love Ben a lot more.

Heh.....if thats the way you see it (middle finger) then your interpretation of comment is severely flawed. Hypersensational..........

DP_Steeler
12-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Rec urring concussions take longer to recover from fully. I feel good if Byron has to start ... the fact that nobody wanted him is more a reflection of other teams feeling good about their QBs then ... ask those same teams now if they are happy with their QB (i.e. Cleveland) and they would glady take Byron.

GodofGridiron
12-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Seems to me that there was a reason he was available...:noidea:

This is a quote from Quincy Carter from 2004.
(I think it's appropriate here)
"...One thing I know is that everybody loves the backup. So when you're a starter, you understand that when you're not playing well, everybody's going to love the guy who's sitting behind you..."

Im willing to bet YOU will be one of those who wish we had him come next year if Ben suffers another injury. And for the record, Byron was available because teams were apprehensive to sign him due to his recent injury history. Not because of his inefficiency.

Nice touch invoking a quote from a known crackhead failure of a quarterback.........

My, theres ultrasensitivity when it comes to Mr Rothelisberger today. *looks at the url to ensure it doesnt read sacred7heaven.com

Is it always like this.............?

GodofGridiron
12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
The best thing for the staff here to do is to take down my posts when I'm right about Byron Leftwich. Which they did. They claim it's for f bombs, but there's still plenty of those posted on here. Just not mine.
I'll say it again- Beware to all of you that have something good to say about Leftwich. You WILL BE HATED by the staff and most of the regulars here. You will eventually be insulted and personally attacked if you hold your position. So if you like being here and treated nicely, worship Ben as though he is Jesus Christ himself in Black and Gold. Nothing else is accepted at Steelers Fever.

LOL......trust me.......ive joined a couple Steelers boards over the years and theres a cultic following around one man. To hell with the coaching staff, ownership, the other players that make things happen ( Harrisons MVP-quality year). These few special folks feel its all about one man. Ben. These folks need to argue facts.....(else i dont pay em any regards)....no facts, no points. Besides (let em hate), Im not here to make friends.....im here to make comments on what i see. The quality of a good forum is intense debate and you get intense debate when you see things from a different scope or perspective.

But.....Ben is very good (for what he does).........but he's definitely not without flaw or fault.

Sharkissle29
12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't mind byron. Hope i dont get banned...

beSteelmyheart
12-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Here's one to Byron :drink: He'll be a great backup-ya gotta have faith!

NV STEELERS 723
12-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Not taking anything from Charlie hometown guy, but every snap we are a injury away from our 2nd string QB....I think Byron should be that guy next season based on his exp. and his ability...only problem is he will sure to get snatched up in free agency...I think the Rooneys should post up some cash and keep this safety valve !

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Not taking anything from Charlie hometown guy, but every snap we are a injury away from our 2nd string QB....I think Byron should be that guy next season based on his exp. and his ability...only problem is he will sure to get snatched up in free agency...I think the Rooneys should post up some cash and keep this safety valve !

If Batch should go, yes, sign him.

cowboykilla
12-28-2008, 07:05 PM
It doesn't mean that your not a ''true'' fan if you prefer Leftwich over Roethlsberger,it's just your opinion. I personally don't care who has the keys,just as long as he wins the race. If you love this team,the Cookie Monster could start at QB,if he's a winner,who cares? :tt03:

GodofGridiron
12-28-2008, 07:10 PM
What??? :screwy:

Point out which segment of my statement that confuses you and ill gladly elaborate. I dont want you to be lost forever or clouded on this wisdom.

X-Terminator
12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
But.....Ben is very good (for what he does).........but he's definitely not without flaw or fault.

I don't think you'll find one person who supports Ben who would say he's without flaw or fault. And I defy you to find me one. Just because the Ben supporters don't want to throw him under the friggin bus every time he has a bad game doesn't mean they don't think he's flawless. That's a completely ridiculous and unfair assumption.

steelreserve
12-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Leftwich back. But there's no way we get him at that price, or probably at any price we'd be able to afford. As long as he proved he was still reasonably competent this year, he was basically just auditioning to ge be the starter somewhere else on a more troubled team. He probably wouldn't want to remain a backup either, since he's still got a few years left to try and do something with himself.

lilyoder6
12-28-2008, 07:22 PM
at least we have the confidence to go out and play when lefty does come into the game... we are lucky to have a good back-up

SteelCurtain7
12-28-2008, 07:26 PM
As long as the team doesn't break the bank, I'd also like to see Lefty re-signed.

That being said, go Ben!!!!!!!!!!! :tt:

GBMelBlount
12-28-2008, 07:32 PM
As long as the team doesn't break the bank, I'd also like to see Lefty re-signed.

I do too. Although he does look like a COMPLETE dork when he runs the ball. :chuckle:

GodofGridiron
12-28-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't think you'll find one person who supports Ben who would say he's without flaw or fault. And I defy you to find me one. Just because the Ben supporters don't want to throw him under the friggin bus every time he has a bad game doesn't mean they don't think he's flawless. That's a completely ridiculous and unfair assumption.

Of course they wouldnt SAY it..........but most of em insinuate that someone else is to blame for his inefficiencies, like the offensive line who often get the rap (ohhh he should get more time!!), when its well documented that Bens tries to extend plays and make big plays every dropback instead of throwing it away.

And im one that will praise a player, including Ben when he deserves it....but im not gonna deflect criticism of him when hes screwed up, like last postseason when he put the team in a hole with the turnovers. I recall Ben being very ......ummm.....Kordell-esque that night.

tony hipchest
12-28-2008, 07:44 PM
i doubt its possible, but we should do everything possible to retain lefty and call it curtains for batch.

a ring may convince byron to stay.

X-Terminator
12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Of course they wouldnt SAY it..........but most of em insinuate that someone else is to blame for his inefficiencies, like the offensive line who often get the rap (ohhh he should get more time!!), when its well documented that Bens tries to extend plays and make big plays every dropback instead of throwing it away.

And im one that will praise a player, including Ben when he deserves it....but im not gonna deflect criticism of him when hes screwed up, like last postseason when he put the team in a hole with the turnovers. I recall Ben being very ......ummm.....Kordell-esque that night.

So you're saying then that the OL doesn't deserve blame for the offensive woes? How about the pathetic running game for most of the season? You're saying that none of those have any affect on the efficiency of the quarterback? Why MUST Ben take all of the blame whenever the offense struggles, even when it isn't his fault? And as for last year's playoff game, I recall Ben stinking up the joint in the first half. I also recall him leading the team back to tie the game, only to see the D lose the game at the end with a little help from the referees. Does he get credit for that?

Dude, I put the blame squarely on Ben's shoulders for the Colts game and his performance last week in Tennessee. Most fans, including Ben's biggest supporters have criticized him when it's been warranted. They don't support calling for his benching every time he HAS a bad game, because in Pittsburgh, the QB is not permitted to have a bad game. It's perfection every game, or it's time for the backup. It's been that way since the 1970s when Bradshaw was winning SB after SB.

Glace
12-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Couple thoughts....

Lefty is going to leave for an opportunity to become a starter next year.

I see people being castrated for making comments about Ben vs. Lefty, etc. The fan police need to settle down. NOBODY can deny that Ben has been flat lately. Yes, part of that has been because he's been flattened...but raising questions when a backup can obliterate the same Brown's defense when Ben looks like crap....it's necessary and unavoidable. I understand people sticking by Ben, but jesus...open your eyes.

That said, I'm thrilled about Ben as our franchise QB.....but if the playoffs come around, and he's playing the way he has the last few weeks...I hope Tomlin doesn't hesitate to sit him down....because more important than blind devotion to a player, is WINNING. You play the player that gives you the best chance to win. ****I DON'T WANT THEM TO BENCH BEN, SO STFU FAN POLICE****....but I do want to win. No matter what the cost. If that's showing our franchise QB that he's expendable, it's necessary.

Now...back to the backups....I think we see both Lefty and Batch gone this year. I don't want to see Dixon at the #2 spot yet, so hopefully we get another vet through free agency really cheap.

fansince'76
12-28-2008, 09:57 PM
I see people being castrated for making comments about Ben vs. Lefty, etc. The fan police need to settle down. NOBODY can deny that Ben has been flat lately. Yes, part of that has been because he's been flattened...but raising questions when a backup can obliterate the same Brown's defense when Ben looks like crap....it's necessary and unavoidable. I understand people sticking by Ben, but jesus...open your eyes.

Ummm, Ben was 9-14 for 110 yards against the Browns' D. Byron was 7-12 for 80. You're right, somebody definitely needs to open their eyes.

HometownGal
12-28-2008, 10:00 PM
i doubt its possible, but we should do everything possible to retain lefty and call it curtains for batch.

a ring may convince byron to stay.

I agree. I have a feeling, though, that Charlie may hang up the cleats after this season. Lefty is a great fit here and I'm confident every time he is called upon to step in, he will give it his all and do a good job. :thumbsup: I never felt that way with Batch, sadly.

HometownGal
12-28-2008, 10:04 PM
So you're saying then that the OL doesn't deserve blame for the offensive woes? How about the pathetic running game for most of the season? You're saying that none of those have any affect on the efficiency of the quarterback? Why MUST Ben take all of the blame whenever the offense struggles, even when it isn't his fault? And as for last year's playoff game, I recall Ben stinking up the joint in the first half. I also recall him leading the team back to tie the game, only to see the D lose the game at the end with a little help from the referees. Does he get credit for that?

Dude, I put the blame squarely on Ben's shoulders for the Colts game and his performance last week in Tennessee. Most fans, including Ben's biggest supporters have criticized him when it's been warranted. They don't support calling for his benching every time he HAS a bad game, because in Pittsburgh, the QB is not permitted to have a bad game. It's perfection every game, or it's time for the backup. It's been that way since the 1970s when Bradshaw was winning SB after SB.

:applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit:

Oh how well I remember the "we want Hanratty" cat calls at TRS when Brad had a less than stellar game and he did from time to time.

I calls it as I sees it. If Ben has a bad game, I'll not hesitate to say so. However, what makes Ben stand out as a team player is him taking the blame squarely on his shoulders when he knows he has a bad game. Not many QB's in the NFL who can say the same for themselves.

Nighthawk
12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Couple thoughts....

That said, I'm thrilled about Ben as our franchise QB.....but if the playoffs come around, and he's playing the way he has the last few weeks...I hope Tomlin doesn't hesitate to sit him down....because more important than blind devotion to a player, is WINNING. You play the player that gives you the best chance to win. ****I DON'T WANT THEM TO BENCH BEN, SO STFU FAN POLICE****....but I do want to win. No matter what the cost. If that's showing our franchise QB that he's expendable, it's necessary.

Now...back to the backups....I think we see both Lefty and Batch gone this year. I don't want to see Dixon at the #2 spot yet, so hopefully we get another vet through free agency really cheap.

I agree 100% with this to be honest except the last paragraph. It does seem like if someone says something remotely bad about ben here the attack squad is out. I don't think Bryon stays here though... He'll be due for a payday and a starting position I believe (who can blame him?). If he does decide to stay as a backup I'll be fine with it...

HometownGal
12-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Couple thoughts....

Open our eyes to what Glace - that Ben is a proven winner?

There are no "fan police" here - sorry to disappoint you. Only diehard fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers who appreciate their QB and stick by him and the team when they have a less than perfect game.

Who knows if Ben would have "obliterated" the same Browns D - he wasn't given the opportunity. If I'm a betting person, I'd say he would have had success against that D. Hell - a pee wee league QB would have picked apart that Browns D on the field today.

X-Terminator
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Ummm, Ben was 9-14 for 110 yards against the Browns' D. Byron was 7-12 for 80. You're right, somebody definitely needs to open their eyes.

Ben also had a TD pass nullified by yet another holding call by Willie Colon, which was a pretty sweet pass to Nate Washington. That won't get mentioned either, I'm sure. Ben had solid numbers before he was hurt, but all everyone will see is the one bad INT, and as a result, he "played like crap."

Glace
12-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Look, the only #'s that mean anything to me are in the wins and losses column. Yeah, we're fortunate to be where we're at. We have our Defense to thank for that, and some last minute heroics by Ben in a number of games this year.

Take Philly for example. They set a franchise record for points scored in a season, yet they're 9-6-1 and had to win today to get into the playoffs. They've had some horrible games this year too.

Here we go into the playoffs. The most difficult schedule in 25 years means nothing anymore. No matter what the team or the record, the play is going to be elevated even further. We can't afford waiting until the last 5 minutes of a game to get the offense going against the teams we're about to play. You can have all the faith in the world, but it still scares the crap out of me.

I've gone to being 100% confident with Ben...to 80% worried every game. Again, like I said...I don't want to see a game without him until he decides to retire. But winning is more important to me, and should be to all of you as well. If Ben is even remotely suffering any after-effects from this latest concussion come 2 weeks from now...Lefty should play, because it's obvious he doesn't have an issue moving the ball, and isn't playing scared.

Preacher
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Couple thoughts....

With posts like that. . . I think it may be time to bring back one of my favorite signatures....

X-Terminator
12-28-2008, 11:48 PM
I don't think we're giving Lefty enough credit here. He didn't just play backup, mop up, or manage this game, he hopped into the system and played like a starter.
He looked good out there today, and while it was only the Browns, he looked good enough to start playoff games if need be.

I wouldn't say he isn't being given enough credit - if anything, he's being given too much credit. At any rate, I would be comfortable with Lefty if he is called upon to play. He hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise.

eafratitpm3
12-29-2008, 12:23 AM
As I said in another thread, we don't lose anything in our Offense with having Byron in there. What we gain is no turnovers, which in turn means wins.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-29-2008, 01:11 AM
As I said in another thread, we don't lose anything in our Offense with having Byron in there. What we gain is no turnovers, which in turn means wins.

I think his windup style passing might cause some more fumbles though.

SteelCurtain7
12-29-2008, 01:15 AM
It did in Jville. :o

T.Richardson
12-29-2008, 01:19 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/b_leftwich_071118_02_WIDE.jpg

ahh yes, he is definantly a great QB!

Glace
12-29-2008, 08:28 AM
With posts like that. . . I think it may be time to bring back one of my favorite signatures....

It's an endless circle....those that "Stick with ben no matter what" don't want their opinions challenged either.

And as for passing stats...remember we did a lot of running the ball after we got the lead.

HometownGal
12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
I think his windup style passing might cause some more fumbles though.

I've been concerned about that, as well. However, for the moment - Lefty came in and got the job done and has my vote of confidence should he be called upon to play in the playoffs, but if Ben is past his concussion and feels well enough in practice to start against our playoff opponents, I'd much prefer to see him in there.

GodofGridiron
12-29-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't think we're giving Lefty enough credit here. He didn't just play backup, mop up, or manage this game, he hopped into the system and played like a starter.
He looked good out there today, and while it was only the Browns, he looked good enough to start playoff games if need be.

Thank you......this is all ive been saying and folks wanna crucify just because ive placed just as much faith in Byron as i have in Ben. I never once said Byron was BETTER than Ben. Folks around here perceive what they want in a statement and fly off the end in like shyt shaken from a stick.

X-Terminator
12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Thank you......this is all ive been saying and folks wanna crucify just because ive placed just as much faith in Byron as i have in Ben. I never once said Byron was BETTER than Ben. Folks around here perceive what they want in a statement and fly off the end in like shyt shaken from a stick.

You'll have to excuse us for being a little uppity when it comes to Ben when we've heard calls for his benching after a bad game, calls for him to be traded for Brady Quinn, bashing him and nitpicking when he has a GOOD game, bouts of selective memory when it comes to his overall numbers and solid performances in the past, etc. I mean, this guy had by far the best season of his career and broke several Steelers' passing records last season, has been beat up the past 3 seasons, and the lack of a running game plus playing through injury after injury this season has clearly affected his numbers and performance, as it would any other QB including the "elite" ones. And people want him traded or benched? After a season full of bullshit like that, wouldn't you be a little bit sick of it?

KeiselPower99
12-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Byron played great today and showed why he should be a starter in this league. Him and Ben are both the same kinda qb. Ben is more mobile but how about Leftys td run?? Ben Byron and Dixon should be our 3 qbs next year.

HometownGal
12-29-2008, 02:55 PM
You'll have to excuse us for being a little uppity when it comes to Ben when we've heard calls for his benching after a bad game, calls for him to be traded for Brady Quinn, bashing him and nitpicking when he has a GOOD game, bouts of selective memory when it comes to his overall numbers and solid performances in the past, etc. I mean, this guy had by far the best season of his career and broke several Steelers' passing records last season, has been beat up the past 3 seasons, and the lack of a running game plus playing through injury after injury this season has clearly affected his numbers and performance, as it would any other QB including the "elite" ones. And people want him traded or benched? After a season full of bullshit like that, wouldn't you be a little bit sick of it?

AMEN XT! Couldn't have said it better! :thumbsup::applaudit:

SteelMember
12-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Byron played well as the assistant game manager. :thmbup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Great post.

My only issue is when I similarly defended Marvel Smith in the preseason, most here jumped all over and kept saying he was never any good. But somehow he is considered one of the best free agent tackles by scout.com.

Its OK to forgive the QB for 4 turnovers and a bad game, but giving up 2 sacks in a game because of a bad nerve in the back is cause to railroad a guy out of town.

JPSEMP
12-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Byron played great, he does seem to be a good fit for this system, although its always easier to play a defense whose coaches hav'nt spent a week examining your tendencies. Ben is definetly has been the better of the 2 over thier careers. Ben needs to learn when to let it all hangout and when to protect your team. The notion that you have to take the good with the bad is a bunch of b.s.. Ben has had enough playing experince by now that he should be able to handle the challenge. It falls on him and the coaches to controll the mental mistakes that can cause him to make bad decisions with the ball in certain football situations. Too often in a tight games he has forced the issue. When the game is tight and your in position for a FG you have to be aware of the cost-reward of your decision with the ball. All Qbs are going to make bad throws, but great Qbs know when to take the risk and when to throw it away. Ben makes me nervous when were up in a game, his style of play doesn't seem to reflect the situation. Ben has all the tools to be great if he can be coached into better ball management. The way this team is now smart Qb play is crucial without it they won't be shining that 6th Lombardi. Ben is definetly our franchise hopefully the bad decisions will fade away in these playoffs.

GO STEELERS

Phade
12-29-2008, 10:25 PM
i'd rather have ben in full strength.. however i would not lose sleep nor would it even bother me if byron ends up having to start..

thats very reassuring and i guarantee there is not another teams fan base in the league that has that level of confidence in both QB'S..