PDA

View Full Version : Crennel, Savage Fired

Hannity_on_Holmes
12-28-2008, 05:54 PM
They went 4-12 against one of the toughest schedules possible. Was the layoff justified?

Big D
12-28-2008, 05:56 PM
They went 4-12 against one of the toughest schedules possible. Was the layoff justified?

I would say so. The team imploded and had fights in the locker room

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 05:59 PM

Where did you hear this to be official???

tony hipchest
12-28-2008, 05:59 PM
i'd prefer a viable link/source before comment but with the cowboys implosion im sure there is a mad dash to get cowher on the phone.

Big D
12-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Where did you hear this to be official???

cleveland plain dealer has confirmed Savage is fired. Nothing on romeo yet

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Savage Confirmed.

Still Awaiting Romeo. He has a meeting with Randy Learner Tomorrow.

Hannity_on_Holmes
12-28-2008, 06:12 PM
It was just announced on ESPN chris mortensen said BOTH were fired.
i looked for an online article but nothing came up.
im certain it is true.

stillers4me
12-28-2008, 06:14 PM
It was just announced on ESPN chris mortensen said BOTH were fired.
i looked for an online article but nothing came up.
im certain it is true.

Crennel did look like he's was ready to puke by the third quarter.

Burghfan58
12-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Latest news from Brownie land. Browns to go after Cowher.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/

lilyoder6
12-28-2008, 06:18 PM
i still would like to see it in a article...

The Duke
12-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Ill miss the Jolly 'ol fatty. He was like what, 0-6 against Pittsburgh? :chuckle:

more like 0-8 :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2008, 06:27 PM
They went 4-12 against one of the toughest schedules possible. Was the layoff justified?24 - 40 ......they shoulda been shit canned..... the steelers faced THE toughest schedule and pulled out 12-4, even with a crappy line. the clowns should of been able to at least pull off an 8-8 season. :coffee:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-28-2008, 07:34 PM
from the sounds of it..Lerner is looking to go all out to try and get Cowher here and pretty much bend over backwards to get him to come here...

...I don't see it happening, but...The question who are they going to get?

I'm praying to everything that is holy that we don't get stuck with another toolbag from the belichick/parcells line. The most overrated in Football history IMO.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
from the sounds of it..Lerner is looking to go all out to try and get Cowher here and pretty much bend over backwards to get him to come here...

...I don't see it happening, but...The question who are they going to get?

I'm praying to everything that is holy that we don't get stuck with another toolbag from the belichick/parcells line. The most overrated in Football history IMO.

I won't be stunned if Parcells is the guy should the Phins sale go through. But Cowher, Sorry. Not going to Cleveland.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-28-2008, 07:49 PM
I won't be stunned if Parcells is the guy should the Phins sale go through. But Cowher, Sorry. Not going to Cleveland.

I'm not asking for Cowher in particular...just nobody who's coached in New York/New England..they have no idea how football is supposed to be played in the Rust Belt.

Fire Haley
12-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Only Savage was fired.....today

http://www.newsnet5.com/sports/18370056/detail.html

CLEVELAND -- NewsChannel5's sports anchor Terry Brooks has learned that Cleveland Browns General Manager Phil Savage was fired Sunday.

That will likely mean that Romeo Crennel will be next.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Only Savage was fired.....today

http://www.newsnet5.com/sports/18370056/detail.html

CLEVELAND -- NewsChannel5's sports anchor Terry Brooks has learned that Cleveland Browns General Manager Phil Savage was fired Sunday.

That will likely mean that Romeo Crennel will be next.

Good Sign Romeo will be fired effective the moment Lerner says the "yah" part of your fired.

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
i guess they're gonna try and talk chubby into resigning so they don't have to pay him, the extention...ala crazy al.......i can see it now....hey romeo....i'll give ya this bag full of double cheeseburgers if you sign this....:laughing:

HometownGal
12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Romeo is a likeable guy and was a good DC with the Cheats*. He obviously isn't HC material and it is possible someone will pick him up as a DC. The Browns as a team just aren't good and I don't think even Jesus Christ himself could have performed a miracle with that group. I kind of feel sorry for Tubby Tuba.

Savage is a pencil necked goober. Get a good GM in there and clean house. Good luck to you Browns fans on Lerner hiring a respectable HC, but I would bet the farm it won't be The Chin.

Edman
12-28-2008, 08:14 PM
They're 0-8 against Pittsburgh and dashed the hopes of an 10-6 team in 2007 who everyone thought finally turned it around.

Yeah, that's worthy of a layoff.

Preacher
12-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Romeo is a likeable guy and was a good DC with the Cheats*. He obviously isn't HC material and it is possible someone will pick him up as a DC. The Browns as a team just aren't good and I don't think even Jesus Christ himself could have performed a miracle with that group. I kind of feel sorry for Tubby Tuba.

Savage is a pencil necked goober. Get a good GM in there and clean house. Good luck to you Browns fans on Lerner hiring a respectable HC, but I would bet the farm it won't be The Chin.

Kind of like LeBeau. Great D coach, but really couldn't do it as a HC...

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 08:26 PM
They're 0-8 against Pittsburgh and dashed the hopes of an 10-6 team in 2007 who everyone thought finally turned it around.

Yeah, that's worthy of a layoff.

He'll be the first Browns Coach to never beat the Steelers.

JPPT1974
12-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Is that official so far?! I mean Savage is canned but Crennel, I haven't heard!

xfl2001fan
12-29-2008, 07:22 AM
I haven't seen an official press conference to name it...but everything is pointing in that direction right now.

missedgehead
12-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Savage is definitely gone. Crennel is gonna be gone soon.

CB1977
12-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Is that official so far?! I mean Savage is canned but Crennel, I haven't heard!

No, he's not gone yet but I'm sure he will be soon. I actually thought that he would have been canned before Savage. Crennel can't be too far behind.

Stay tuned. :popcorn:

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 09:06 AM
It's official now....

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/12/cleveland_browns_fired_romeo_c.html

Cleveland Browns fired Romeo Crennel
by Mary Kay Cabot Monday December 29, 2008, 9:52 AM

BEREA -- Browns coach Romeo Crennel was fired this morning.

Team spokesman Bill Bonsiewsicz announced the firing at 9:50.

Crennel was 25-40 in four seasons as Browns head coach. He had been expected to meet with owner Randy Lerner on Monday morning. Lerner is scheduled to meet with the media at 10 a.m.

CB1977
12-29-2008, 09:11 AM
One hell of a nice guy but a lousy coach!!

Good luck Romeo...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. :wave:

lilyoder6
12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
he can become a pos or cord somewhere else in the nfl.. he was good when he was in the pats organization

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Word is, donut shops all over the Cleveland area are holding emergency meetings after hearing the tragic news. Expect more layoffs.

XxKnightxX
12-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Savage Fired, now Crennel Fired.....hmmmm...

If Im not retarted this guys is going Full Force to get Cowher. Lerner is basically giving half of the Franchise to Cowher with what they seem to be offering.

revefsreleets
12-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Crennel was WAY too soft on his team. The players all liked him, but you gotta win in this league and he had a fair shake.

Curious to see if he stays on as DC...

Tankus_Maximus
12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
wow.....sounds like the Clowns are gonna give everything to get The Chin in Cleveland.

I kinda feel sorry for Romeo given this economy, but he can always work for George Lucas as Jabba's stunt-double in the next Star War's flicks.

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 10:51 AM
BWAhahahahahah

Just like I perdicted.

Cowher tells Browns he's not interested
by Mary Kay Cabot
Monday December 29, 2008, 10:39 AM

BEREA - Browns owner Randy Lerner said today that former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher told him he was not interested in joining the Browns.

Lerner met with the media this morning to announce that Romeo Crennel has been fired as head coach.

Speculation for his replacement had been centered on Cowher for several weeks, but Lerner said Monday that he met with Cowher on Saturday night and that Cowher said he would not return to coaching in 2009 and asked Lerner to take him off the Browns list of candidates.

Cowher told Lerner that he was comfortable with his lifestyle in North Carolina at this time

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...es_not_in.html

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Weee!

More New England Guys!

/sarcasm.

Fricken A Brownies, get it together People from New England is to Lerner as Wide Recievers are to Matt Millen in the first round of the NFL drat

CB1977
12-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Savage Fired, now Crennel Fired.....hmmmm...

If Im not retarted this guys is going Full Force to get Cowher. Lerner is basically giving half of the Franchise to Cowher with what they seem to be offering.

If you paid any attention to any of the sports programs yesterday, you would already know the fact that, when asked, Cowher said that he didn't want to be a head coach next year, no matter how much money was offered to him. He's made that perfectly clear.

xfl2001fan
12-29-2008, 11:12 AM
It's been proven...and now the new head coaching job begins. Savage is a pretty darn good scout...but wasn't ready to be a GM. Hopefully we'll be able to get a decent GM...wonder if we can steal away that guy from the Steelers or the Colts...they seem to draft well most years. LOL

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Browns should just bring back Butch Davis, at least they made the playoffs with him.

revefsreleets
12-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Looks like the Steelers can count on two automatic division wins for the forseeable future.

Right on!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Browns should just bring back Butch Davis, at least they made the playoffs with him.

...annnd beat Pittsburgh :).

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 11:47 AM
They're gonna have to chance all them sig's now...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/MarsFlyTrap/CowherForChange.jpg

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, he beat us what? 1 time?

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Here's what Cowher really said to Lerner:

"Ha Ha! Browns suck! - get outta my face you loser"

MasterOfPuppets
12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
...annnd beat Pittsburgh :).
there it is again !!! :laughing: i wonder if the browns fans could sue the team for mental cruelty, and psychological damages.... that steeler obsession just can't be healthy...:screwy:

Crushzilla
12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
:crying02:

Goodbye two easy wins every year

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Caption time

"Screw you Lerner!"

http://www.triumphbooks.com/filebin/fixed_images/Fullsize/CowherPower274px_wi.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
12-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Caption time

"Screw you Lerner!"

http://www.triumphbooks.com/filebin/fixed_images/Fullsize/CowherPower274px_wi.jpg"stand over there lerner....i'm not lookin for a staff infection......"

BubbyBrister
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
link from espn:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3797518

and title of the article says that cowher said no to cleveland, but did not rule out coaching in '09.

well, not the title of the article linked...but the link on espn does (which is this article

fansince'76
12-29-2008, 12:47 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2005-02-06-ins-romeo.jpg

"Ahhhh....I missed these backrubs, Tommy."

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Good one.

He could also be saying......"Grimace, look out....its the Hamburgler!!"

OneForTheToe
12-29-2008, 01:47 PM

Careful Romeo ... last time Timmy did that somebody got pregnent.:wink02:

Acvtually, that would explain a lot.

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Good one.

He could also be saying......"Grimace, look out....its the Hamburgler!!"

LOL!!! :sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Hapa
12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Romeo Crennel got fired :sofunny:

HometownGal
12-29-2008, 03:29 PM
The players referred to him as RAC, his initials, and were disappointed they didn't play better for him.

As they well should be.

As I said previously, Romeo will most likely land a DC position with another organization. It will be interesting to see who the next Clowns coach will be.

Could there be a return to Marty ball in the near future? :noidea:

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
http://www.triumphbooks.com/filebin/fixed_images/Fullsize/CowherPower274px_wi.jpg

"stand over there lerner....i'm not lookin for a staff infection......"

That's a good reason

St33lersguy
12-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Looks like the Steelers can count on two automatic division wins for the forseeable future.

Right on!

What about the other hapless Ohio team??

St33lersguy
12-29-2008, 04:14 PM
:crying02:

Goodbye two easy wins every year

Hey we still have the bungles, we will just have to hope Marvin Lewis stays

We should try to lobby to get Arians the HC job for the Browns (and out of Pittsburgh). Unfortunately this will not be a success.

MasterOfPuppets
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:"is that a turkey leg in your pocket...or you just happy to see me? ....."

RoethlisBURGHer
12-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Hopefully Lerner has learned something from these last two head coach/GM hires (Davis and Romeo):

You cannot give the head coach full power over personell desicions, yet you cannot give the GM full control over the 53 man roster.

Davis was given the dual positions of Head Coach and General Manager. He sucked ass at both.

Crennell didn't have any say-so whatsoever over the 53 man roster, that was all in the hands of Savage (who didn't have to coach the players he chose to stay).

Not only do the head coach and GM need to be on the same page, they have to have the same vision for the football team. You can't have a coach who wants to run an offense around the power run game with a GM who wants the offense to be a hire-powered passing team.

And the head coach should have control over who ge does and does not coach. And as long as the head coach and GM have the same vision for the team, the GM will get the head coach the kinds of players he wants to coach.

MasterOfPuppets
12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Hopefully Lerner has learned something from these last two head coach/GM hires (Davis and Romeo):

You cannot give the head coach full power over personell desicions, yet you cannot give the GM full control over the 53 man roster.

Davis was given the dual positions of Head Coach and General Manager. He sucked ass at both.

Crennell didn't have any say-so whatsoever over the 53 man roster, that was all in the hands of Savage (who didn't have to coach the players he chose to stay).

Not only do the head coach and GM need to be on the same page, they have to have the same vision for the football team. You can't have a coach who wants to run an offense around the power run game with a GM who wants the offense to be a hire-powered passing team.

And the head coach should have control over who ge does and does not coach. And as long as the head coach and GM have the same vision for the team, the GM will get the head coach the kinds of players he wants to coach.then whats the point of having the GM involved in player personel? other than a salary cap advisor......:noidea: .....

lilyoder6
12-29-2008, 08:24 PM
i think that the browns prob are looking like the best choice 4 a new HC... they have a good off with young players like k2,edwards,quinn,thomas... if i would be looking 4 a job

Galax Steeler
12-30-2008, 04:16 AM
"is that a turkey leg in your pocket...or you just happy to see me? ....."

I bet he is just happy to see him.:toofunny::toofunny:

xfl2001fan
12-30-2008, 07:31 AM
I wonder if Kevin Gilbride (OC from the Giants) would be interested in coming to the Browns. He certainly coaches a more physicaly brand of football...which is what it takes to play in the AFCN.

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 08:53 AM
well the browns want a gm b4 they get a HC... hahahaha..

even tho the vp guy from the pats is very interested in the gm spot for the browns..