PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Willie haters.

cowboykilla
12-28-2008, 07:09 PM
How ya like Fast Willie now???:thumbsup:

LambertIsGod58
12-28-2008, 07:11 PM

what do you mean? Ben won today's game. :coffee:

steelreserve

Same as last week. This game tells you exactly dick about anyone on either team.

The Duke
most of his yardage came in that 34 yard run :rolleyes:

lilyoder6
12-28-2008, 07:22 PM
that 34 yrd td run was nice..

mike was right when he said he would use the browns to get the running game going

MACH1
12-28-2008, 07:24 PM
It was against a chitty team, it doesn't count. :rolleyes:

bradness113
12-28-2008, 07:33 PM
they finally blocked for him

looks like hes gettin pretty healthy too

Dino 6 Rings
12-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I like the use of the I formation. The running game in general has me happy.

chucoblack&gold
12-28-2008, 07:42 PM
lets face it, it was the freaking clowns for heavens sake.

Not to talk bad about our running back, but to expect him to come back to form this season is asking alot. We'll see our old running back in '09.

The Duke
12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
lets face it, it was the freaking clowns for heavens sake.

Not to talk bad about our running back, but to expect him to come back to form this season is asking alot. We'll see our old running back in '09.

while it may be true, you can't deny that this was something willie needed. A good game to get his confidence, and the offense as a whole, up. Especially heading into the playoffs

BlastFurnace
12-28-2008, 07:55 PM
If you are referring to Willie Colon...I'm right here. :>)

HometownGal
12-28-2008, 08:55 PM
The "I" was definitely a factor in the success of the running game today, but I have to give FWP (and our OL) credit for grinding it out. I've so missed the rushing attack and it was good to see it flourishing again! :thumbsup:

P.S. Oops - forgot to add - "even if it was against the Browns". :chuckle:

UltimateFootballNetwork
12-28-2008, 10:31 PM
OK, since those who were acknowledging that FWP hasnt been very good as of late are being labeled Wilie-haters, I guess I am a Willie-hater.

In my opinion, today was the worst thing that could happen to the Steelers. Seems as though we have seen this before--- FWP will have a nice game against a weak opponent. But short of a few nice runs, there were plenty of 0,1,2 yard gains and those are what is killing the offense. I think it would have been better if Tomlin had to look seriously at benching FWP.

Does anyone want to bet that FWP comes up with a 20 carry, 62 yard-type performance when in the playoffs? Will that cost the Steelers their season? Probably.

FWP had some nice runs today, but it was also clear that Moore and Russell were also running wild against a poor Browns defense, and I am quite sure either one would have had an impressive game with 20+ carries.

I do not understand why FWP is not only getting all the carries, but remains the focal point of the offense. Baffling.

Dino 6 Rings
12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
OK, since those who were acknowledging that FWP hasnt been very good as of late are being labeled Wilie-haters, I guess I am a Willie-hater.

In my opinion, today was the worst thing that could happen to the Steelers. Seems as though we have seen this before--- FWP will have a nice game against a weak opponent. But short of a few nice runs, there were plenty of 0,1,2 yard gains and those are what is killing the offense. I think it would have been better if Tomlin had to look seriously at benching FWP.

Does anyone want to bet that FWP comes up with a 20 carry, 62 yard-type performance when in the playoffs? Will that cost the Steelers their season? Probably.

FWP had some nice runs today, but it was also clear that Moore and Russell were also running wild against a poor Browns defense, and I am quite sure either one would have had an impressive game with 20+ carries.

I do not understand why FWP is not only getting all the carries, but remains the focal point of the offense. Baffling.

Hey, do me a favor, run those cute little numbers you ran a couple weeks ago now showing how often we score TDs with Willie on the field. Include last weeks and this weeks game ok...thanks. I'm curious to see if we scored any touchdowns with Parker as the starter.

BehindSteelCurtain
12-28-2008, 10:43 PM
That's what we need to do more. Let FWP run to the outside. We can't have him trying to run in the congested middle because lets face it, he's not going to carry a LB on his back. But he can burn anyone on the field.

UltimateFootballNetwork
12-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey, do me a favor, run those cute little numbers you ran a couple weeks ago now showing how often we score TDs with Willie on the field. Include last weeks and this weeks game ok...thanks. I'm curious to see if we scored any touchdowns with Parker as the starter.

umm, ok.

3 offensive touchdowns.

2nd Q, 56 yards
FWP- 2 carries 38 yards, 1 TD

2nd Q, 52 yards
FWP 0, MM, O

4th Q, 88 yards
FWP 3 carries, 9 yards
MM 4 carries, 23 yards

So as an FYI, the point you were trying to make failed. Yes FWP had a nice 34 yard run but the point remains, the Steelers have trouble getting into the endzone with FWP on the field even against poor defenses.

UltimateFootballNetwork
12-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Apologies, you wanted last weeks game too.

Vs Tenn. 2 Offensive TDs

2nd Q, 80 yards
FWP 6 carries, 15 yards
MM 1 reception, 8 yards

3rd Q, 62 yards
FWP 1 carry, 0 yards

So unfortunately the point remains, FWP is not contributing to Steelers TDs.

devilsdancefloor
12-28-2008, 11:57 PM

the thing that is baffling is you think you know football. you can crunch all the numbers you want cause basically you can make them say what you want. can your stats measure heart and determination? Cause that is what this team has! Patheltic and you call your self a steelers fan.

Preacher
12-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Willie broke two big runs today... sadly, one of them was called back.

Outside of that, Willie had a number of 3, 4, 5, 6 yard runs.

There were glimmers of the Willie of yesteryear today.

However, it was only one game.

I look forward to seeing him, with a week off, coming back to run.

I've been a little frustrated with Willie this year. However, a 100 percent Willie is More Important to this team than a 100 percent MeMo.

However, a 100 percent Willie AND MeMo is outright dangerous to other teams.

eafratitpm3
12-29-2008, 12:19 AM

We'll see in the Playoffs how you feel, I hope you're right but..............:tt02:

PalmerSteel
12-29-2008, 12:19 AM
gotta admit he looked a little better. sorry, no pats on the back for you though. mewelde still deserves more playing time. he is suited better with this shaky line for what we need in the playoffs- CONSISTANT positive runs.

Preacher
12-29-2008, 12:24 AM
gotta admit he looked a little better. sorry, no pats on the back for you though. mewelde still deserves more playing time. he is suited better with this shaky line for what we need in the playoffs- CONSISTANT positive runs.

Thing is, MeMo DOESNT give CONSISTANT positive runs. I have seen him stuffed in the backfield just like Willie.

It is a matter of personal like/dislike.

PalmerSteel
12-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Thing is, MeMo DOESNT give CONSISTANT positive runs. I have seen him stuffed in the backfield just like Willie.

all rb's get stuffed sometimes, even hall of famers. its the amount of times and i just have to think some of those 1-2 yd willie runs would be 4 yard moore runs because of his size/style. but your right its all personal preference/opinion at this point.

tony hipchest
12-29-2008, 12:33 AM
willie mcginest sucks donkey balls. he did nothing to "cradle the qb" as is expected of all defenders unless they are playing against big ben.

Preacher
12-29-2008, 12:34 AM
I dunno, Memo doesnt tippy toe around as much as Willie. He's been better at running down field, up the gut THIS YEAR. Dear god, please let us retain our running game in the playoffs :hope:

I have noticed that Willie was doing that too. However, to me, he cut out much of that today.

don't forget. Willie was also taught to slow down behind the line and wait for his blockers to open up holes. Now that he has done that... he is waiting too long it seems.

Anyways, I think Willie has fixed a lot of that as of today. he seems to have his spring back... again, this game.

I really can't wait to see him in the next game.

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 01:16 AM

At this point, I don't have high expectations for Parker in the playoffs; in fact, his playoff career has been almost nothing but those types of performances. Having said that, I don't see us coming up with some magic bullet to fix the running game. I like Moore better, but he's not going to solve everything. All you can do is hope one of them catches fire, or else we find a way to do what we did in 2005 and win three games despite the running attack being AWOL.

Two weeks ago, I would've said the Parker debate had its legitimate place, and as soon as the season is over I'll say the same thing. But even though you can count me an unabashed Parker critic (or "hater" if you like), the only thing I'll be doing in the meantime is hoping for a good performance as well as some playcalling that fits the situations. There'll be plenty of time to sort this shit out after the season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-29-2008, 01:21 AM
I like the use of the I formation. .
Yeah, they seemed to look like they wanted to line up McHugh as a lead blocker and committ to running the ball. It worked out fine.

But, as any true Willie hater would say......"but you take away that 34 yarder and what did he average??" :rolleyes:

Frankie3521
12-29-2008, 03:30 AM
I love Willie and I remember how awesome he was for us last year, but I just don't know if I believe we can run the ball against any decent defensive team..

Frankie3521
12-29-2008, 03:32 AM

To me it always looks like it's Willie that doesn't give the consistent positive runs, but rather MeMo seems to always be good for some type of positive yardage. Willie seems like more of a pitch it to the outside and see what he can get going. It's usually either going to be 6+ yards, or a loss of 1-2. It's more risky, but sometimes you get rewarded.

revefsreleets
12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
The Steelers running O played pretty good yesterday. If anyone noticd, they did what I hoped they would, they ran Willie to the outside, ran Russell in short yardage (w/ a FB) and used Moore on 3rd downs (for the most part). They also ran the ball 32 times between 4 different RB's, which is a definite committment to the run.

I think we'll have running back by committee in the playoffs and be just fine.

TeeJay
12-29-2008, 03:28 PM
A 34 yard TD run, and a 100+ yard game, going in to the Play-Offs can only be good for his confidence, regardless of who it's against. Hopefully that confidence will instill itself into the O-Line as well. If they can make the gaps, FWP can ultilise them....and bring his jets in to play.

If so, then goodnight Vienna.........regardless of who it's against!

Still believing in FWP

Dino 6 Rings
12-29-2008, 04:47 PM
32 running plays. That in itself was what impressed me the most.

And Willie did look pretty good, but so did the O-line. Hopefully, they watch the film, see what worked, and use it in the playoffs. McHugh Lead blocking was pretty effective.

SteelersJW
12-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Don't call me a FWP hater. I was at the game sporting my #39 jersey, but most of his yards did come off those long runs. He wasn't having a good day at all up the middle. I'd like to see some other guys run the ball up through the middle and just keep Parker on the runs to the sides. But, what the hell do I know?

Dino 6 Rings
12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Don't call me a FWP hater. I was at the game sporting my #39 jersey, but most of his yards did come off those long runs. He wasn't having a good day at all up the middle. I'd like to see some other guys run the ball up through the middle and just keep Parker on the runs to the sides. But, what the hell do I know?

Rogers is a heck of a load to move up the middle. He's like the one guy on Cleveland's defense that is worth his weight in fat.

43Hitman
12-29-2008, 05:21 PM

While I agree with your idea a little bit, it poses a problem. If we start doing that it will be like telegraphing your punches and the opposing defense will be able to use calculated risks to shut down those outside runs even more than they already do.

markymarc
12-30-2008, 07:03 AM
All I know is it was actually nice to see McHugh actually lining up in the backfield again. While it was only the Brownies defense and typically FWP does have good games against them I just hope Arians is smart enough to use the I formation a little more come the playoff game.

revefsreleets
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
They mixed it up some. Parker ran up the middle a few times...Hell, he's broken off more than a few up the middle in his time. I just prefer him off the edge.

shaker100
12-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Can Willie run well against the Bengals and Browns? Of course he can. We already knew that. I predicted a 100 yd game vs. the Browns. But running against the weak sisters of the league and having a good rushing game against the Ravens, Titans, Giants or even the Colts is another thing. Willie consistently has bad or horrible games against good defenses. I know they're good defenses so any RB will see their production drop off against those teams. But Willie completely disappears against good D's. I hope that changes but I'm not convinced it will.

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 02:19 PM
it's prob to late to install it now.. but i would of liked to see a 2 rb shotgun formation... like a fwp and a moore.. or a bigger back like russel...

steelreserve
12-30-2008, 02:26 PM
While I agree with your idea a little bit, it poses a problem. If we start doing that it will be like telegraphing your punches and the opposing defense will be able to use calculated risks to shut down those outside runs even more than they already do.

Yeah, and when that happens ....

FLEAFLICKER!!

See? We've got this one in the bag.

markymarc
12-31-2008, 07:06 AM
it's prob to late to install it now.. but i would of liked to see a 2 rb shotgun formation... like a fwp and a moore.. or a bigger back like russel...

So would I. Even on 3rd down you could use Moore and Russell back there in the shotgun formation.

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Can Willie run well against the Bengals and Browns? Of course he can. We already knew that. I predicted a 100 yd game vs. the Browns. But running against the weak sisters of the league and having a good rushing game against the Ravens, Titans, Giants or even the Colts is another thing. Willie consistently has bad or horrible games against good defenses. I know they're good defenses so any RB will see their production drop off against those teams. But Willie completely disappears against good D's. I hope that changes but I'm not convinced it will.

I think it's more about making a committment to run. I think we sometimes get away from the run too soon if we don't bust off big runs. If the offense was more patient and got into a bit of a rythym, I still think we could run against any team. We need to see more games where we throw the ball 20 times or less and we run the ball 25 times or more. I almost guarantee we win with that defense of ours regardless of who we play and where.