PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's injury was senseless

mesaSteeler
12-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Big Ben's injury was senseless
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/for_the_record/posts/36121-big-bens-injury-was-senseless?eref=fromSI

Dave Heuschkel

Other than letting him pad his stats, there was no need whatsoever for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to take one snap against the Browns today in a game that was essentially meaningless to Pittsburgh.

That thought must have been going through the minds of Steelers fans as Roethlisberger was being carted off the field on his back. Big Ben raised his left arm and flashed a thumbs up, presumably a gesture to let fans know he was OK. He reportedly has a concussion.

Roethlisberger has been nursing a sore right shoulder all season. That alone should have been a reason to keep him out, given the Steelers had clinched the AFC North and a first round bye in the playoffs. Win or lose, nothing was going to change. The Steelers could not improve their seeding like the Falcons. That's why Atlanta coach Mike Smith played QB Matt Ryan.

In a similar situation a year ago, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin opted to rest Roethlisberger because he had a sore ankle. The following week, Roethlisberger completed 29 of 42 passes for 337 yards and two touchdowns but threw three interceptions in a first-round loss to the Jaguars.

I can understand Tomlin didn't want Roethlisberger to go three weeks without playing in a game. That would have been the case if Roethlisberger sat out today -- the plan was to limit him to only the first half -- because the Steelers don't play until the Jan. 10-11 weekend. But it's a lot easier to shake off rust than an injury.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin probably let Eli Manning play the first half against the Vikings for the same reason Tomlin played Roethlisberger.

Is the risk really equal to the reward? For Colts QB Peyton Manning, the reward was extending his NFL record for 4,000-yard passing seasons to nine. As soon has he surpassed the mark, Manning came out. Titans coach Jeff Fisher allowed Kerry Collins to take three snaps, that's all.

Roethlisberger's reward was a head injury.

Steelman16
12-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I figured we'd hear this before too long. :coffee:

Preacher
12-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I figured we'd hear this before too long. :coffee:

Of course.

Then again, if Ben didn't play, and then we lost our next game. . . they would blame the coach for NOT playing Ben.

PalmerSteel
12-28-2008, 10:05 PM
yeah whatever. then if he would have played crappy in the playoff game, you would have a million saying, "he should have played a half! 3 weeks is too long of a rest!" he could have got hurt on the 1st play. i was fine with him playnig a half since he has the next 2 weeks off to keep in game mode. one of those things. its football. damned if you do, damned if you dont.

section514
12-28-2008, 10:07 PM
he is fine. big deal. if anything, the line will have an epiphany and pick up their game. Each member of the line should take ben out to dinner each night during the bye week. usually the QB or RB takes out the lineman. Ben needed to play a little in this game. After the Titans game our O needed a little bit of time in a game together.

and WE HAVE BYRON. If this was the 2nd round of playoffs and Byron had to play next week, I am comfortable.

No worries, rest up and get ready for round 2.

missedgehead
12-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I think Ben should have played. Jeepers creepers. People who say he shouldn't have act like he is made of glass or something. Good lord.

Crushzilla
12-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Going against the grain again here:
I agree that we didn't need to start Ben in this game. This is just one post-season in what we hope will be years of 'em. If we lose we lose, but it makes more sense to get Lefty and Dixon snaps and protect our franchise QB.

I don't understand.

It's alright to let off the gas because there's always next year?

SteelCurtain7
12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Of course.

Then again, if Ben didn't play, and then we lost our next game. . . they would blame the coach for NOT playing Ben.

Bingo. :rolleyes:

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Other than letting him pad his stats, there was no need whatsoever for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to take one snap against the Browns today in a game that was essentially meaningless to Pittsburgh.

Yeah? I wouldn't want Ben to come in fresh off a three-week layoff. There's a very real chance that you won't have your shit together if you do that. It's not like we were out there running reverses and using him as a lead blocker. It was just an unlucky play, and you can't really blame anyone. For all we know, it might not even matter anyway.

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 12:27 AM
I don't understand.

It's alright to let off the gas because there's always next year?

I think he meant it was OK to let off the gas just in the Browns game because it couldn't affect the standings. Otherwise, that doesn't make much sense. I mean, you aren't letting your franchise QB do his job as franchise QB if he's sitting on the bench instead of doing things that help you win Super Bowls.

LVSteelersfan
12-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Sorry, but he should have been taken out after the first TD. I think he should have played, but the whole first half was too much. I know he could have been hurt earlier as well, but after that first TD sit him down. The offense is not going to win us anything in these playoffs any way, so I think he should have been protected. One game was not going to make this offense better. Sorry, but with that O-line, our playoff future is totally on the defense's shoulders.

verks36
12-29-2008, 01:34 AM
tomlin was right to play ben the first half hopefully tomlin would have sat ben the whole second half

Frankie3521
12-29-2008, 02:26 AM
I think playing Ben was the right move, it didn't work out but I still think it was the right thing to do. Ben not taking a real game snap for 3 weeks and then trying to play really scares me. Lefty can come in and manage the game and I'm confident the defense can win us a game if we need them to.

eafratitpm3
12-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Ben playing was the right move but in hind sight with his play yesterday I don't think his confidence would have been any higher. He threw a pick and really with the exception of the TD late his production wasn't very good. Now top that off with the beating he took and leaving on a stretcher I think his feet will be much happier in the pocket come playoff time.

Galax Steeler
12-29-2008, 03:52 AM
tomlin was right to play ben the first half hopefully tomlin would have sat ben the whole second half

Agreed you can't second guess what Tomlin did I agree with what he did.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-29-2008, 05:27 AM
This. You don't want your franchise QB carted off the field from a meaningless game, and you do want your backups to have the rust off should your franchise QB get carted off the field in an important game.

I know, I know: not my call. But I woulda started Lefty and given Dixon the second half.

And Cowher said he would have played Ben the first half as well...

Seems all coaches agree on that.

stillers4me
12-29-2008, 05:38 AM
What doesn't kill us will make us stronger.

GBMelBlount
12-29-2008, 06:04 AM
This. You don't want your franchise QB carted off the field from a meaningless game, and you do want your backups to have the rust off should your franchise QB get carted off the field in an important game.

I know, I know: not my call. But I would a started Lefty and given Dixon the second half.

I agree Slash. Whether to play Ben and for how long is certainly debatable, but I wouldn't have played him past the first quarter if at all. He's been sacked 50 times and had the shit kicked out of him all season. I think the additional week off would have helped him mentally and physically, plus, as you said, it would have given Lefty and Dixon extremely valuable playing time. Just my opinion folks. :tt:

HometownGal
12-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Pick your poison. :doh:

LambertIsGod58
12-29-2008, 07:30 AM
I don't know how many times we've seen playoff teams breeze through the regular season only to bench their marquee players. Then when the games really count, they make an early exit. Playing Ben was the right decision. How long now is suspect b/c of the injury.

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Putting Ben out on the field with this O-line is a risk to life and limb, it's like walking through a mine field, like driving your car head-on into a tree not wearing a seatbelt, like telling your pimp you're not handing over the money, etc.

You DO NOT put your $100M franchise QB at risk in a meaningless game with this sieve of a line. Period. At the very least he should have been pulled after Willie's TD - just like Dungy pulled Peyton after their first score. Tomlin is an bigger idiot than I imagined.

Has Ben been released from his overnight stay at the hospital yet? Head trauma with signs of a spinal cord injury (numbness in hands) is always a serious matter.

I guess we should be thankful if he can walk out of there without a cane.

jjpro11
12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
ben has historically played like shit coming off long layoffs.. steelers fans of all people should realize this by now. he needed to get out there, the whole offense did.

cubanstogie
12-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Pick your poison. :doh:

very true, unless Ben had an injury that could have used the rest or if we didn't have a bye he had to play at least a half of a game. 3 weeks off without a game would have been too much. Shite happens thats part of the game. You can't play the game worrying about injuries, its like a prevent defense. There is no doubt we can still win with Lefty if he is called on, which he won't be unless Ben loses a limb or something. People who claim Ben shouldn't have played are the same ones who would have whined had he have been rusty after playoff game.

revefsreleets
12-29-2008, 11:45 AM
It's like the commentators stated: You can't play the game of football in fear of injuries. If so, you should be playing/coaching softball.

He was in for a half and he got dinged. He's got a couple weeks to get better.

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Ben's brain damage will never heal behind this O-line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
You DO NOT put your $100M franchise QB at risk in a meaningless game with this sieve of a line. Period. At the very least he should have been pulled after Willie's TD - just like Dungy pulled Peyton after their first score. Tomlin is an bigger idiot than I imagined.

Actually, you do. If Ben was worried about standing behind that O line as much as the fans are, then you would probably see him throw the ball away more often to "save himself". We know he isnt gonna start doing that anytime soon......its not who he is and he isnt scared of contact.

Dungy doesnt have to worry about sitting thru a bye week, nor does he have to worry about trying to develop something positive with the #24 ranked offense before going into that bye.

Like was posted before, its football....not softball or tennis.

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Ben's brain damage will never heal behind this O-line.

But hey, on the bright side, off the field he sounds like enough of a knucklehead to begin with that maybe all the concussions won't really affect anything.

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Actually, you do. If Ben was worried about standing behind that O line as much as the fans are, then you would probably see him throw the ball away more often to "save himself"..

You have no idea how many times during a game I am screaming for him to throw it away, "Get rid of it!!!!!"

If Ben doesn't care about himself, I must. We need him healthy to win.
Period.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-29-2008, 12:49 PM
You have no idea how many times during a game I am screaming for him to throw it away, "Get rid of it!!!!!"

If Ben doesn't care about himself, I must. We need him healthy to win.
Period.
Ben needs to learn from his mistakes. Its how we all learn the best.

I can tell my kid to not climb on that tree or he will fall down, but sometimes its just better to let him fall down, get hurt and at least he will listen to me in the future. Its kind of like in the movie Bull Durham when Nuke keeps shaking off the sign and Crash Davis serves up "the deuce" to the hitter. Live and learn, instead of being insulated from life.

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 01:03 PM
He's all better, just rub some dirt on it.

Steelers' Roethlisberger was released from hospital Sunday night

Monday, December 29, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was released from the hospital Sunday evening with the same diagnosis doctors gave him at Heinz Field, he sustained a concussion.

Roethlisberger did not spend the night as originally planned and was up walking the halls at UPMC-Presbyterian shortly after he was brought there by ambulance, according to team sources.

He was injured when his head bounced off the grass at Heinz Field hen he was tackled by Cleveland linebackers Willie McGinest and D'Qwell Jackson with 1:49 left in the first half of the Steelers' 31-0 victory Sunday.

Roethlisberger is expected to play when the Steelers open the playoffs Jan. 11 at Heinz Field, although it remains in question whether he will practice this week.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Give me a second...I am searching the NFL archives for a "sensible injury"...I'll get back with everyone when I'm done.

MJ5150
12-29-2008, 01:13 PM
I got no problems with Ben playing. Play football is what these guys do, so let them play.

-Mike

Steel_Bus_24
12-29-2008, 01:38 PM
So after all is said and done.....was Ben made better prepared to play come Divisional round???

fansince'76
12-29-2008, 01:43 PM
So after all is said and done.....was Ben made better prepared to play come Divisional round???

By sitting on the bench and watching his team enter the playoffs on a losing note, was Kerry Collins?

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 01:45 PM

You mean those parts of the game he can still remember?

There is NOTHING he could have gained from playing the stinking Browns.

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 01:47 PM
OF course - it was sure nice to pound them into the dirt like that.

A fitting end to the "Super Bowl bound Browns"

43-0 - their first game back
31-0 - their greatest flop team of all time.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Is there anyone who thinks that sitting him for a game, would make him "more prepared"?

Tomlin did not have a crystal ball...No one is complaining that Ward played..or that Troy played....and the ONLY difference between them and Ben is that Ben had an unpredictable injury.

LambertIsGod58
12-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Is there anyone who thinks that sitting him for a game, would make him "more prepared"?

Tomlin did not have a crystal ball...No one is complaining that Ward played..or that Troy played....and the ONLY difference between them and Ben is that Ben had an unpredictable injury.

exactly, you have to love hindsight.

HometownGal
12-29-2008, 01:53 PM
But hey, on the bright side, off the field he sounds like enough of a knucklehead to begin with that maybe all the concussions won't really affect anything.

That was pretty classless, steelreserve.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
The "damned if you do" argument doesn't hold water for me. I would rather lose in the playoffs than risk Big Ben in a meaningless game.
But again, that's just me. :noidea:

Point #1 Cowher would never undermine Tomlin's support by publicly disagreeing with him; it's just not done. Why not? He is no longer part of the Steelers organization. As a commentator he is going to say whatever he wants to say.
Point #2, "All coaches agree" doesn't necessarily make it true. That's an appeal to popularity. Considering NFL coaches know more than we do about how to play the game, I tend to side with them
Point #3, I'm just saying what I would have done and why I seriously doubt you would have said anything had Ben not gotten hurt. If he would have gotten "hot" and carried this team to the Superbowl you would be singing a different tune. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz.

stlrtruck
12-29-2008, 02:36 PM
You mean those parts of the game he can still remember?

There is NOTHING he could have gained from playing the stinking Browns.

After the way he played against the titans, there was plenty for him to gain. Self confidence (not that he should have lacked it), rhythm with the WRs and RBs, getting into a groove, etc.

I'm sorry but injuries are part of the game. We have to expect it, on every play.

SteelMember
12-29-2008, 02:36 PM
My opinion before the game was that the entire offense, including Ben, needed to play at least the first half. I think Tomlin had the same idea. After a miserable outing against the oilers, our team needed to get some positives worked in before a playoff game. As many have said, this is football. You can't play scared. If anything I was more ticked about the fumble/touchdown whistled dead before than keeping Ben in the game for another few minutes.

What if a lineman steps back on his foot at the snap and causes him to twist his ankle. What if he hits his hand on a helmet on a pass follow through. Injurys can happen at anytime. You can't account for them.

I remember a playoff game Bus got knocked out of, and he wasn't even out of the locker room yet. I think that needle hit a nerve, and I don't think he would have played without that shot, but I wanted to stick it up that trainers a$$ just the same. Whatta ya gonna do? :noidea:

PisnNapalm
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
My 2 cents on this issue.

Play Ben and several other starters for only 2 series and then bench them.

Having them play any longer was completely pointless IMHO.

HometownGal
12-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Why are we still discussing this? Ben played, Ben was injured, Ben was given a thorough examination and testing at the hospital, Ben is going to be fine. End of story and time to move on.

Fire Haley
12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Why are we still discussing this?

Ben's brain injury will be the subject of non-stop reporting for the next two weeks.

Count on it.

SteelMember
12-29-2008, 03:19 PM
No, but you can minimize *unnecessary* exposure. That's called "getting your guys killed retail instead of wholesale".
But once again, it was MT's call and ultimately his opinion is the only one that matters.

You can't wrap players in bubble wrap and just bring them out on special occasions.

They are professional athletes, not children or knick knacks for that matter.

Is crossing the street an "unnecessary exposure" to getting to the other side? Did you tell that to the chicken? :chuckle:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I Bleed,

You may argue that you know football better than me and there's a solid possibility you're correct.

I may or may not know football better than you, but I assume that NFL coaches know it better than all of us combined.

Why are you not complaining that Polamalu, Parker, Moore, Ward, Woodley, Miller, or any other starters played?

The fact that they didn't get hurt I suppose. So that supports my argument that if Ben hadn't gotten hurt, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

SteelMember
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Ha...ha....ha. :coffee:
Cleveland was not a street that was necessary for our starters to cross on the way to the Superbowl. That game did not affect our post-season chances at all.
I can see starting them for a quarter, then rotating them, but that injury (thankfully minor) didn't have to happen. Had it happened in the first quarter I would have stood by the decision, but it happened when he should have already been sitting down.
Besides, Dixon certainly could have used more snaps. We can't have him come out in an emergency situation and generate false starts and delay penalties like that. He needs more "real" snaps and Sunday was a perfect time to get him more experience.

I'm pretty sure Dixon can't even see the field unless Ben gets injured. Being inactive, as he was, made him an injury substitution only. :coffee:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-29-2008, 03:49 PM
They shouldn't have been playing past the first quarter either. Thankfully none of them ended up on a stretcher. We have second and third stringers all over the place that need snaps.

How come you didn't make an issue of it before it was mentioned if you were so adamant that no starters should be playing after the first quarter?

Dino 6 Rings
12-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Ben could have thrown the ball out of bounds since he was out of the pocket and he could have avoided the hit instead of trying to make the throw to Miller across his body with 2 linebackers coming in full steam ahead.

It was senseless...For Ben to not just get rid of the ball when the play broke down. I mean, if he knew it was a "meaningless" game...why bother trying so hard.

(where is that stinking Sarc Smiley already?)

SteelMember
12-29-2008, 03:50 PM
They shouldn't have been playing past the first quarter either. Thankfully none of them ended up on a stretcher. We have second and third stringers all over the place that need snaps.

There are only a finite number of players eligible on game day, not the entire 53 man roster and practice squad. The only reason some of the defensive substitutions were made is because most of them play special teams...on game day. :coffee:

LetsRock
12-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Ben is paid to play football, NOT sit on the sidelines. Fans that paid for admission to the game deserved nothing but the best players available to play. I would have demanded a refund if I went to see a show and the star did not perform because they were saving themselves for a show in two weeks.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I did * A WEEK AGO*! :banging::banging::banging:
But it's not my call, just my opinion. MT calls the shots and I defer to him.

If you really did say that a week ago, then I retract my statements. :drink:

markymarc
12-30-2008, 05:59 AM
And I guarantee that if Ben didn't play at all or only played the first quarter and then come the playoff game he looked very rusty then people would be all over Tomlin and Ben then too. Sometimes you just can't win.

HometownGal
12-30-2008, 08:43 AM
And I guarantee that if Ben didn't play at all or only played the first quarter and then come the playoff game he looked very rusty then people would be all over Tomlin and Ben then too. Sometimes you just can't win.

Not with Steelers "fans" you can't. :banging: