PDA

View Full Version : Draft dilemma for the Saints

Aussie_steeler
12-29-2008, 06:09 AM
Diminishing returns
The Saints gambled in the offseason with a trade to bring tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans.

The good news is that Shockey didn't cause any major distractions this year. The bad news is that Shockey didn't provide very much value on the field, either.

Shockey was inactive for the final game of the season with an ankle injury and finished his first season with the Saints with 50 catches for 483 yards. He didn't score a touchdown.

It marks the third straight year Shockey has had a decline in his production. Four years ago, Shockey had 891 yards on 65 catches for the Giants. In 2006, he caught 66 passes for 623 yards, before grabbing 57 passes for 619 yards last season.

The Shockey trade will be felt even more in this April's NFL draft - and possibly the 2010 draft - as the Saints gave up two draft picks (second and fifth rounds) to land him.

Combined with the trade for linebacker Jonathan Vilma, which has paid dividends, the Saints have only four draft picks this April (first round, two fourths and a seventh).

But if the Saints re-sign Vilma in the offseason, the Saints would owe the New York Jets a second-round pick, which means the second-round pick the Saints traded to the Giants for Shockey would become a first-round pick in 2010.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20081229/SPORTS/812290325

Looks like Shockey is the player that just keeps on costing you. He has now forced the Saints into a big off season decision --- is Jonathon Vilma worth a first round pick in the 2010 draft.

Aussie_steeler
12-29-2008, 06:50 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/11/saints-wont-extend-vilma-to-detriment-of-new-york-teams/

Maybe the saints have found a way around this dilema?

XxKnightxX
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
what a mess, didnt they review this before signing or trading him?

Shockey had an injury ridden season, If he doesnt get his production up by next year this guy will be out of football.

HughC
12-30-2008, 12:46 PM
They really had no choice but to not re-sign Vilma; it would not be worth losing a first round pick. However, even if they have an oral agreement in place, they now run the risk they traded away a decent draft pick for a one-year rental of Vilma.

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 02:27 PM
WOW... this blows for the saints..

Godfather
01-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Maybe they should get those picks back by trading Reggie to the Jets for the Jets' first rounder in 2010 and a conditional first rounder in 2011. The Saints don't need the Reggie hype like they did three years ago but they do need an actual running back.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Maybe they should get those picks back by trading Reggie to the Jets for the Jets' first rounder in 2010 and a conditional first rounder in 2011. The Saints don't need the Reggie hype like they did three years ago but they do need an actual running back.seemed to me like pierre thomas did a fine job.....he got me a ton of fantasy points the last few weeks......:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
seemed to me like pierre thomas did a fine job.....he got me a ton of fantasy points the last few weeks......:thumbsup:

Yeah, Thomas was the reason that that scatback Mendenhall from Illinois only started for one season.

I love the Mendy haters that say " if he was so good, why did he only start as a junior?". Pierre Thomas was/is no slouch.

Godfather
01-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Vilma might have solved the dilemma. He got arrested in Miami for reckless driving and resisting arrest, per the local news.

Marvin Lewis has already called his agent.

St33lersguy
01-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Shockey's an overrated piece of sh*t jackass. He's not worth dirt. I don't know why the Saints even got him