PDA

View Full Version : Another head rolls, Marinelli out

XxKnightxX
12-29-2008, 08:32 AM
ESPN reporting. I dont like it, this guy did not give up at all and defended his players and pinned his blame at himself. Yeah he didnt win a single game but I loved the fact that he was a fighter. Good luck Marinelli in coaching a D line.

Dino 6 Rings
12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
0-16. No doubt about it. You have to fire a guy that can't win a single game.

lilyoder6
12-29-2008, 09:01 AM
well they fired a HC for winning a single game dino...

i am glad that he did not give up but hopefully he finds a job somewhere

Dino 6 Rings
12-29-2008, 09:03 AM
He'll land on his feet, but not as a head coach for a while. His over all record at Detroit was pretty bad as well.

10 wins and 37 losses in 3 seasons.

plenewken
12-29-2008, 09:14 AM
That's the price a HC has to pay for consistent sucktitude. Crennel is in the same predicament. Nothing unfair here.

PisnNapalm
12-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Knock knock

Who's there?

Owen

Owen who?

Owen sixteen.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-29-2008, 09:24 AM
That's the price a HC has to pay for consistent sucktitude. Crennel is in the same predicament. Nothing unfair here.

So true. Most people have also forgot that he was saddled with most of Millen's personnel decisions, but 0-16 means you gotta go. I think he is a good coach, but its the price to pay.

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2008, 09:45 AM
He'll land on his feet, but not as a head coach for a while. His over all record at Detroit was pretty bad as well.

10 wins and 37 losses in 3 seasons.

Possible Coordinator to a new coach, yes, Head Coach, not yet.

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I feel kind of bad for the guy. Bad franchises tend to do this -- make bad decisions for years at the FO/owner level, and then when the team loses, blame it on some stooge.

Yeah, I understand, the captain goes down with the ship, but in this case the ship was sinking in the first place because they have incompetent ownership, and because Matt Millen had to be one of the worst GMs of all time. There's really no excuse for why someone who so thoroughly proved himself a moron was allowed to keep his job for so long, and I'd place 99% of the blame squarely on him.

xfl2001fan
12-29-2008, 11:06 AM
The Lions are owned by someone connected with "The Big Three" who are in a monumental collapse...and you blame the former GM as if he's the sole cause? I blame the Owner. He didn't know how to manage his company...his team...and probably his life.

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
The Lions are owned by someone connected with "The Big Three" who are in a monumental collapse...and you blame the former GM as if he's the sole cause? I blame the Owner. He didn't know how to manage his company...his team...and probably his life.

Well, either way you want to look at it, it's the same idea. Is it the fault of the idiot who was making all the mistakes? Or the guy who refused to fire that idiot? However you divide the blame, the fundamental issue is that the front office handed the coach a collection of crap that even MacGyver probably couldn't turn into a winning team, and then threw him under the bus for it. Nice work, fellas.

fansince'76
12-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Well, either way you want to look at it, it's the same idea. Is it the fault of the idiot who was making all the mistakes? Or the guy who refused to fire that idiot? However you divide the blame, the fundamental issue is that the front office handed the coach a collection of crap that even MacGyver probably couldn't turn into a winning team, and then threw him under the bus for it. Nice work, fellas.

Welp, there is a reason the Lions have sucked for decades.

MasterOfPuppets
12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Welp, there is a reason the Lions have sucked for decades.yep .....:poop: runs downhill....:popcorn:

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 12:30 PM

Pretty much. I just feel sorry for the coach, is all. Trying to overcome the Lions sucking is like fighting the laws of Nature. It's just not possible to win that battle.

fansince'76
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Pretty much. I just feel sorry for the coach, is all. Trying to overcome the Lions sucking is like fighting the laws of Nature. It's just not possible to win that battle.

Agreed. Remember Wayne Fontes? I always felt sorry for him too, for the same reasons.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-29-2008, 12:37 PM

Yeah, I guess taking Charles Rogers, MIke Williams, Joey Harrington with your #1 pick wasnt a way to make coaches like Steve Mariucci look great. John Kitna as the cornerstone of your team is a great idea.

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Agreed. Remember Wayne Fontes? I always felt sorry for him too, for the same reasons.

Yeah, but at least he stuck around for longer because they didn't always hand him teams that were complete crap. I mean, it was no picnic back then either, but at least they made a handful of right moves. It got really bad once Millen took over. Detroit has basically wasted every one of its top picks this decade, and their constant parade of new guys at QB is a fricking circus. Seriously, I think they've been searching for a quarterback for 30 years now, but at least under Fontes the team was a little better, so they weren't churning through three or four QBs every season.

Bottom line is, you just can't win like that, and the head coach only has a little to do with that. Like they say, garbage in, garbage out.

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2008, 01:49 PM

Maybe the government can tell Ford to put part of the bailout money back into the Lions.

fansince'76
12-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah, but at least he stuck around for longer because they didn't always hand him teams that were complete crap. I mean, it was no picnic back then either, but at least they made a handful of right moves. It got really bad once Millen took over. Detroit has basically wasted every one of its top picks this decade, and their constant parade of new guys at QB is a fricking circus. Seriously, I think they've been searching for a quarterback for 30 years now, but at least under Fontes the team was a little better, so they weren't churning through three or four QBs every season.

Bottom line is, you just can't win like that, and the head coach only has a little to do with that. Like they say, garbage in, garbage out.

Wayne Fontes and the Lions lucked into arguably the best RB in NFL history who almost singlehandedly kept that team at around 8-8 every year (and in 2 or 3 rare occasions 9-7/10-6 and a one-and-done playoff appearance). Otherwise, I don't see much difference between the Lions now and the Lions then. How did they get Sanders in the first place? That's right, by sucking.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I feel bad for Marinelli, it's hard to coach a winning team when you've got no talent whatsoever beyond Calvin Johnson.

Godfather
12-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Weren't the Raiders so bad that after the 1961 or 1962 season, the AFL basically blew them up and let them re-stock as an expansion team? Not sure of the details.

Maybe they could do something like that with the Lions.

Speaking of Jim Rome, I can't wait until Rome Is Burning returns to TV.

steelreserve
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Wayne Fontes and the Lions lucked into arguably the best RB in NFL history who almost singlehandedly kept that team at around 8-8 every year (and in 2 or 3 rare occasions 9-7/10-6 and a one-and-done playoff appearance). Otherwise, I don't see much difference between the Lions now and the Lions then. How did they get Sanders in the first place? That's right, by sucking.

See, I just think Millen took the suckiness to a whole different level. If it had been him, I have little doubt he would've skipped on Sanders and taken another overrated wide receiver, or someone else they didn't need. He drafted like a compulsive gambler who always thinks he's going to win the big jackpot on the next hand, and then the next thing you know, he's lost the company payroll.

The difference is that during the Sanders/Fontes years, the Lions were at least trying to put a complete team together around Sanders. They weren't doing a very good job at it, but you got the sense that they had some kind of hazy goal in mind. Even if all they managed was to stagger toward that goal like a drunk, it was better than what Millen was doing, which was completely aimless.

lilyoder6
12-29-2008, 08:30 PM
and the lions fired rod's brother-in-law....

bad day for the rod's family...