PDA

View Full Version : Steelers shot for SB #6

steelerchad
12-29-2008, 01:50 PM
In looking at the competition, I believe the Steelers have a better than average shot at winning it all this year. We have our problems this year, but so does every other team. Besides ourselves, the teams that most are talking about winning it all, we've either beaten or should have beaten.

Giants- This game was ours until a bad snap on a punt in the 4th quarter. We lost the turnover battle 4-0 and had a bad snap safety and still could have won this game.

Colts- Lost the turnover battle 3-0. 2 INT's very deep in our territory turned into 14 points. One right before half was the killer. Don't forget the fluky Ike tip ball to Wayne for a 67 yard touchdown.

Titans- Lost the turnover battle 4-0 turned into 21 points. Led this game until late in the 3rd.

Chargers- Won a close hard fought game.

Ravens- Won 2 close hard fought games.

With our defense, our offense doesn't have to put up gaudy numbers. Protecting the ball is the crucial element. The common theme in our losses was multiple turnovers turned into points. Our defense will keep us close against any of our opponents.

I think the Giants would have been the consensus favorite. And most TV guys keep saying losing Plex is no big deal, that they can win without him. They've proven they can, but I honestly think losing him costs this team the Superbowl. It's not the 5 or 6 catches for 80 yards. It's the fact that a defense doesn't have to account for that big target, deep threat. If we play them again, TP doesn't have to worry about the double team. He would be free to stuff the run, blitz, or take an chance on an angle for an INT. I think this evens the field in the NFC and could see someone else end up in the SB.

AFC is a crap shoot. I'll take our defense and hope we don't commit the costly mistake on offense.

MJ5150
12-29-2008, 02:16 PM
The only team that scares me in the playoffs right now is the Colts. We could win the TO battle, and Manning can still pass them to victory no matter how much of a lead we get on them.

-Mike

TeeJay
12-29-2008, 02:58 PM
I would have said the same thing, but San Diego looked downright scary last night.

No one scares me more than The Steeler D!!

Awesomeorgasmicallytastic................. :noidea:

Tankus_Maximus
12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I feel confident with Lefty under center, the guy is comparable to Ben in almost every characteristic, despite being less mobile than Ben. But, I feel even more confident with our defense leading the way!

KeiselPower99
12-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Steelers and Panthers in Tampa.

stlrz fan
12-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Defense wins Championships!!! I agree that we could be playing Carolina in February.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
12-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I think the Panthers are the team I would hate the most to face in the Superbowl. Something about their HUGE receivers always gives our secondary fits!

TeeJay
12-29-2008, 05:13 PM
IF.....IF.....we make it to the superbowl....i hope we face the colts, titans, and giants. In that order. What more fitting way to get a 6th lombardi trophy than by taking down the teams that already pissed u off in the regular season? :tt:

It's as if Hollywood had written the script.......but I guess they already did, in 2005. :thumbsup:

(Now, when are they going to make a movie about that? - I can already see LL Cool Jay as The Bus! :wink02:)

Hapa
12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
You never know what's gonna happen. The Superbowl winner will probably be a surprise.

stlrz fan
12-29-2008, 07:34 PM
We have been surprising people, teams and critics all season. This would be the ultimate surprise!

Nighthawk
12-29-2008, 08:19 PM
I am happy with how FWP played last night, even though yes.. it WAS the Browns. Having a good game can do nothing but give you confidence which I believe is something WIllie needed a a little bit more of. If he's 100% healthy, and confident in the playoffs I think we should be incredibly confident!

Rhee Rhee
12-29-2008, 08:40 PM
IF.....IF.....we make it to the superbowl....i hope we face the colts, titans, and giants. In that order. What more fitting way to get a 6th lombardi trophy than by taking down the teams that already pissed u off in the regular season? :tt:

i cannot tell you how happy i'd be if we ended up playing those teams and beating those three... we'd have a 6th superbowl and gotten revenge on teams that we should've beaten in the regular season... i'd settle for the eagles in the superbowl as well..

GBMelBlount
12-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Our defense has been consistent as hell. Winning it ALL will likely come down to how our offense performs in the clutch imo.

lilyoder6
12-29-2008, 09:13 PM
on the nfc side of things... i think the eagles and the panthers are on fire right now and are gonna be deadly in the playoffs

SteelersMongol
12-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Y R U guys counting the Ratbirds out? They're pretty scary.

GodofGridiron
12-30-2008, 12:42 AM
on the nfc side of things... i think the eagles and the panthers are on fire right now and are gonna be deadly in the playoffs

I wouldnt trust McNabb like a Steelers fan trusts a Tommy Maddox toss on 3rd and 20. He's bound to revert back to pumpkin status.

Personally im rootin for Atlanta..........nice recovery from the Vick, DeAngelo Hall and Petrino fiasco. What a feel-good story if there ever was one.

millwalldavey
12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Steelers and Panthers in Tampa.

Phill Simms called this last monday I think...

...............and called #6 as a result.

GodofGridiron
12-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Y R U guys counting the Ratbirds out? They're pretty scary.

Because Flacco, although he had nice stats for a rookie, has show he can fold quicker than a cheap mans wallet on Bourbon Street when faced with pressure. Every media outlet was singin his praises.....then he did nothing vs a real defense.

Preacher
12-30-2008, 12:56 AM
I REALLY think we are going to meet the Ravens in the AFCCG.

tony hipchest
12-30-2008, 01:11 AM
i think were very much under tha radar and almost considered afterthoughts because of out lack of a running game and bens injury.

heres how i see the media favorites.

#1- colts because of manning and their streak.

#2- ravens have a running game and everybody is convinced they have the best defense in the league and one of the greatest rookie qb's ever.

#3- titans because they beat the steelers and have a running game. get haynesworth back.

#4- LT + their streak + the whoopin they laid on denver + philip rivers being the highest rated passer this season. many seem high, and still cling to making them their pre-season favorites.

#5- steelers- despite our defense and beating the ravens twice, it seems we take a back seat to them. surely we couldnt beat them 3 times, right? :rolleyes:

#6- miami- most just think its cute that they actually made it to the big dance.

(again, this isnt how i would rank them, but how i think they are being perceived.)

devilsdancefloor
12-30-2008, 01:24 AM
I REALLY think we are going to meet the Ravens in the AFCCG.

to be honest i think that the fins will take care of ratbirds joey hates them ratbirds and i think he will have his D ready to play and then the fins come to play us, then we end up playing to colts in the AFCCG. :noidea::noidea:

OX1947
12-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Steelers can not turn the ball over in their own field and can not turn the ball over in the red zone.

If the Steelers can run the offense the way the 2000 ravens did, they will win it all. This might be the top 3 defense in all of NFL History.

And if Willie can play the way he played in the Cleveland game, things would be even easier.

Steelers & I
12-30-2008, 02:09 AM
I see the Ravens beating the Dolphins and the Colts beating the Chargers in the wild card round. The Ravens defense will eat up that wildcat formation crap and Joe Flaco will have a big day passing against a questionable Dolphins secondary. The Colts whip up on the overated Chargers. This team is 8-8, so what, they beat the crap out of the pitiful Broncos.

Titans beat the Ravens and the Steelers beat the Colts in the divisional round. I believe that the Titans will run all over the Ravens much the same as the Giants did.
The Steelers will once again, as in the 05 playoffs, harass Peyton Manning causing him much duress all game long.

Steelers will go to Tennessee and whip the Titans tails in the AFCCG. I don't think that the Steelers showed the Titans anything in their first matchup, keeping things vanilla due to the high probability of a future playoff match up.

The Giants and the Steelers meet in the Super Bowl. The Steelers come away with the win in a tight game.

Galax Steeler
12-30-2008, 04:50 AM
Phill Simms called this last monday I think...

...............and called #6 as a result.

I hope he is right sounds good to me.:tt02:

Steelman16
12-30-2008, 05:20 AM
If Miami comes to play, I think they have a great chance to beat Baltimore.

Indy will thrash San Diego. If they don't, I would be very shocked.

If it comes down to Indy or Tennessee against us in the AFCCG (if we get there) I think I'd rather play the Colts for some reason. Either team though, I think we can beat.

revefsreleets
12-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I think we will either lose to the Rats or blow them out. It's just so hard to beat a team 3 times, so I figure they either have our number if we meet again, or they just have nothing left in the tank by that point and we smoke 'em.

Colts worry me a little, but the game has to be in Pittsburgh and I think that's the advantage. IF we have to face the Titans it'll be a tough game but we'll learn from 2 weeks ago and execute 100% better this time around.

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 01:01 PM
IF we have to face the Titans it'll be a tough game but we'll learn from 2 weeks ago and execute 100% better this time around.

And we also won't rush three and drop eight if we get them in 3rd-and-20 again!

HughC
12-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Here's the Vegas moneyline (based on a $100 bet) to win the Super Bowl:

+$250 --- Giants
+$500 --- Titans
+$550 --- Steelers
+$600 --- Panthers
+$800 --- Colts
+$1200 - Chargers
+$1200 - Ravens
+$1200 - Eagles
+$2000 - Falcons
+$2800 - Dolphins
+$2800 - Vikings
+$4000 - Cardinals

Giants look to be a bit over-valued in my opinion. Maybe that's because the AFC seems to be more competitive than the NFC.

HughC
12-30-2008, 02:02 PM
i think were very much under tha radar and almost considered afterthoughts because of out lack of a running game and bens injury.

heres how i see the media favorites.

#1- colts because of manning and their streak.

#2- ravens have a running game and everybody is convinced they have the best defense in the league and one of the greatest rookie qb's ever.

#3- titans because they beat the steelers and have a running game. get haynesworth back.

#4- LT + their streak + the whoopin they laid on denver + philip rivers being the highest rated passer this season. many seem high, and still cling to making them their pre-season favorites.

#5- steelers- despite our defense and beating the ravens twice, it seems we take a back seat to them. surely we couldnt beat them 3 times, right? :rolleyes:

#6- miami- most just think its cute that they actually made it to the big dance.

(again, this isnt how i would rank them, but how i think they are being perceived.)

You know the media (headquarters in NY) was salivating over the possibility of a NY-NY Super Bowl as well as a couple hundred more Brett Favre stories. With that no longer possible, they'll all be pulling for a Manning-Manning game.

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 02:04 PM
thats fine.. i would rather they talk bout the other teams...

millwalldavey
12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Here's the Vegas moneyline (based on a $100 bet) to win the Super Bowl:

+$250 --- Giants
+$500 --- Titans
+$550 --- Steelers
+$600 --- Panthers
+$800 --- Colts
+$1200 - Chargers
+$1200 - Ravens
+$1200 - Eagles
+$2000 - Falcons
+$2800 - Dolphins
+$2800 - Vikings
+$4000 - Cardinals

Giants look to be a bit over-valued in my opinion. Maybe that's because the AFC seems to be more competitive than the NFC.

No odds on the Patriots this year?

Pi Kapp Steeler
12-30-2008, 02:08 PM
First off I want to say I am proud of my beloved Steelers for going into the toughest scheduale of the season and coming out 12-4. They definately exceeded my expectations , I predicted 9 wins(with a healthy Tom Brady). But anyway congrats and lets kick some ass in the playoffs!

Speaking of which...

The 2nd seed might be better then 1st. Hear me out

#5 Colts vs #4 Chargers
and
# 3 Dolphins vs #6 Ravens

So as the #2 Seed we face the highest possible seed.

My best case scnerio would be this:

Colts beat the Chargers to go on to face the Titans
and
Miami beats the Ravens to come to the Burgh

Colts lose to Titans
We beat the Phins and go to Tenn for revenge of the towel!!!

Then we face the Vikings in the Superbowl

I say vikings because our family knows someone who works for the Vikes and this would possibly mean superbowl trip for me! haha:chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
12-30-2008, 02:28 PM
If the Mannings end up in the Super Bowl playing each other, I will finally believe the fix is on. That would be the story that they could talk about ENDLESSLY the two weeks heading into the Super Bowl. I don't think Eli is good enough to steer that team to the Super Bowl two years in a row. Of course, as usual, the NFC has several low caliber teams in the playoffs while the AFC is stacked. Lets hope Manning/Manning does not become reality. Time for rings on the other hand to start.

Polamalu43
12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
The AFC is tough man, no doubt. in the AFC there are more quality teams in the plaoffs, then in the NFC. In the NFC you got the cards , really?? You got the young falcons, really?? the 2 best teams in that conference are the panthers and giants. in the AFC you got the colts, chargers, ravens, titans.

Steelers & I
12-30-2008, 09:11 PM
And we also won't rush three and drop eight if we get them in 3rd-and-20 again!

That's what I'm talking about. I truly believe that the 19 and 1/2 yards gained on that particular play cost the Steelers the game. I know that it's ludicrous to pinpoint a loss on one play but at the very least, that play started the Steelers downward spiral.

It was much the same in the Colts loss, identifying the Willie Colon holding penalty which brought back the Nate Washington touchdown reception. Again, sometimes just one play is the difference between winning and losing.

stillers4me
12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
If the Mannings end up in the Super Bowl playing each other

:puke:

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 09:53 AM
The official odds of the Steelers making the SB are 9-2. I think the Tits are 5-2.