PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Rivers And Matt Schaub

Livinginthe past
12-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Two QB's who seem likely to be on the move next year as they seem to have no realistic chance to surpassing the teams No.1 QB.

Phillip Rivers is an unproven draft pick who must rue the day he decided to play hardball over his rookie contract - but I think some team will be willing to burn a draft pick for him...maybe we are talking a 2nd and a 4th.

Matt Schaub impressed me when I watched him play the Pats this year, sure the Pats D was in disarray at the time but you look at the guy and he gives you confidence that he is the real deal.

I contrast that with someone like Kyle Orton who clearly doesn't have the weapons, and maybe never will have, to make it as a top flight NFL QB.

Personally I think its a shame that Schaub isnt given a serious run at the No.1 spot at Atlanta - but im afraid the management there have invested too much time and money into the Michael Vick experience to back down now.

So.....where do you think these guys will be next year, and before anyone posts it...NEITHER will be a back-up to Big Ben.

NM

RoethlisBURGHer
12-19-2005, 01:10 PM
I see Schuab in Miami.They need a guy to be THE QB,and they don't have it in either guy they have right now.They won't be in the Leinart lottery either,thier record is too good.The only thing I can see them doing besides taking Schuab is waiting until next year and taking Brady Quinn out of Notre Dame (that is if he's not the #1 pick).

Rivers I think will end up in New Orleans,if they don't draft Leinart.

Livinginthe past
12-19-2005, 01:30 PM
I like both of your scenarios - two very viable homes for both the QB's.

So, how much do you think Miami and N.O. would be willing to give up for these two QB's - I suppose you could make an argument that both will have improved since they were drafted - even if they have spent large portions of time on the bench.

NM

RoethlisBURGHer
12-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I like both of your scenarios - two very viable homes for both the QB's.

So, how much do you think Miami and N.O. would be willing to give up for these two QB's - I suppose you could make an argument that both will have improved since they were drafted - even if they have spent large portions of time on the bench.

NM

I don't think Miami will give up thier #1 pick (he isn't worth one,at the moment) but possibly a third or fourth rounder.

With New Orleans,who knows?The team is in so much turmoil right now.But I think they'd give up a second or third rounder for Rivers.

Koopa
12-19-2005, 02:56 PM
hell maybe even the cowboys should go after one of these guys, romo is nothing more a clip board holder lifer and henson ain't even worth putting on the practice squad, and since drew bledsoe is old they might want to make a move for one of these two. miami should wait till next year to get a rookie qb to develope like vince young or brady quinn, saints i don't think will trade for one of these guys they drafted a qb that some ppl are high on, that peterson or some shit, the guy from flordia state and then rookie of the year in the afl, so they might want to see if he can be any good before they invest in a qb that can be a francihse qb.

and why would the falcons give up on vick now? he fills the stands, and he wins games. probably won't win a championship but they'll be in the playoff hunt every year with him out there. and they'll still make money, the nfl benefits from him cause even when he plays shitty teams out of town the stadiums will fill up cause they wanna see him play. so i wouldn't give up on him at all

LondonSteeler
12-19-2005, 03:06 PM
if i were the bears, id try to get hold of the backup at tenessee, volek, hes shown he can win games and not make many mistakes, and is proven in the league, unlike rivers...

Koopa
12-19-2005, 03:16 PM
ain't he already getting old? i'd rather take one of the younger dudes, plus grossman might still be good if he stays healthy, and hell maybe with a year of experince orton might get better, he's still learning how to play under the center.

Livinginthe past
12-19-2005, 03:19 PM
I quite like Grossman at the Bears.

I am hoping that the fact that he injury prone is not as much of a handicap as not being able to throw the ball within 5 yards of your receiver on a 5yd short out pattern ( see Kyle Orton)

There is a noticeable upturn in the body language of the Bears offense when he is leading them - Orton may well be a nice guy but I cant ever really see him getting it done at this level.

Bledsoe has had a nice year for the Cowboys, which leads me to believe that -

1. His pass protection is doing a very nice job.

2. The NFC isn't up to much in terms of pass rush.

I think Henson will be eased into the line-up sometime next year with Bledsoe staying as a rookie insurance back-up.

NM

LondonSteeler
12-19-2005, 03:23 PM
ain't he already getting old? i'd rather take one of the younger dudes, plus grossman might still be good if he stays healthy, and hell maybe with a year of experince orton might get better, he's still learning how to play under the center.

yup, good point, but with the bears, their qb situation has been so terrible for so long, i mean, if you want a guaranteed 'legit' starter then id trade for volek myself, rivers and schaub havent proven it yet, although i was impressed with schaub in the pats game.

with grossman? my personal opinion on him is hes a choker, mainly from his days at florida, i also hate this hype around him, look at his nfl stats, average at best so far...

Koopa
12-19-2005, 03:26 PM
this is henson second year in the league and he was worthless last year and in the preaseason this year, he's like orton, a guy that probably can't cut it at this level, he might as well go back to the yankees cause he will not last in the nfl. and bledsoe started off with a good year but lately (not counting the chiefs game) he has cost them and is still the same old drew that hangs on to the ball to damn long and can't run if his life depended on it.

Suitanim
12-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Shaub is for real, but I have Drew Henson and Phillip Rivers marked for the discount bust bin (See Ryan Leaf)...

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 04:28 PM
I think Schuab will end up in Baltimore. Boller is wearing out his welcome there. And I think they like what they seen in A.Wright. Atleast his style of play.
The Jets will consider Rivers!

Just my two pennies

Livinginthe past
12-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I think Schuab will end up in Baltimore. Boller is wearing out his welcome there. And I think they like what they seen in A.Wright. Atleast his style of play.
The Jets will consider Rivers!

Just my two pennies

Ok Cleve,

Ya just opened up a can of worms with them predictions...no bailing out now.....if Rivers was to go to the Jets where would Chad 'Noodle Arm' Pennington go?

Im thinking Noodles would still be for a starter spot at some team willing to take a shot on his rotator cuff holding up for more than 4 consecutive games.

Also, where does Boller go? I think its safe to say he wont be a starter so he will become a reasonable back-up instead of a hopelessly overmatched starter.

NM

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Pennington, might be with Tim Couch, if he rcovers, he might never see the field again. I really feel for the guy. I`m not convinced with him coming back.
Boller will be lead to believe, that he is in a battle for the starting spot. When in reality Balt. already know that he is number 2, or maybe 3