PDA

View Full Version : need a fullback

welder4pit
12-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Going into january i wish santa would have given us a TRUE fullback.It would help a bad o line on short yardage and goaline. sacks ,interceptions and field goals dont win this time of year.
No matter what happens in the playoffs, we beat dallas,new england, and we swept the division. thats still a great year.:drink:

Stang909
12-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Carey Davis is a good fullback we just don't use a fullback very often.

KeiselPower99
12-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Davis isnt as good as Krieder or even Kuhn. McHugh has shown promise.

steeltheone
12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Give him a chance....Davis

Glace
12-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't think we've used Davis as a true fullback. When he was in there, he seemed more an option out of the backfield than a blocking fullback.

All I know is, that was GREAT to see the I formation used extensively. I want to see more!!

tyler289
12-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I actually like Sean McHugh. He seems pretty good at blocking.

Around the NFL, the fullback is becoming extinct. A guy like Dan Kreider isn't going to stick around. They have to be able to run and catch just as good as a running back or tight end.

lilyoder6
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
i think davis and mchugh will do fine in the fb pos.. when we actually use a fb

The Duke
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Davis is not a good blocking fullback

and if he is a good option out of the backfield he hasn't shown it yet. 17 catches for 76 yards in 2 years

McHugh may not be a kreider, but he's still good. Kreider's done imo

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Davis is not a good blocking fullback

and if he is a good option out of the backfield he hasn't shown it yet. 17 catches for 76 yards in 2 years

McHugh may not be a kreider, but he's still good. Kreider's done imo

Thanks for seeing Davis for what he is.

Many think that he is fine if we give him a chance. Why do you think McHugh is the FB in the I formation?? Go back to the San Diego game and see Davis get stuffed in the hole by 235 lb Stephen Cooper while lead blocking for Moore in short yardage.

Davis was not only stuffed by Cooper, he got shed so Cooper could make the solo tackle. Any average FB would at least turn the defender, not get stuffed by an undersized ILB and allow him to make the tackle.

Carey Davis is a better RB than FB. As a blocker he is one of the bottom 5 FB's in the NFL.

The Duke
12-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks for seeing Davis for what he is.

Many think that he is fine if we give him a chance. Why do you think McHugh is the FB in the I formation?? Go back to the San Diego game and see Davis get stuffed in the hole by 235 lb Stephen Cooper while lead blocking for Moore in short yardage.

Davis was not only stuffed by Cooper, he got shed so Cooper could make the solo tackle. Any average FB would at least turn the defender, not get stuffed by an undersized ILB and allow him to make the tackle.

And we've given him time. Two years already!!

In fact, I would like to see more "Carey Davis sucks" threads than "Willie Parker sucks". Well, not really, but you get my point, lol

I remember that play against the bolts. Gonna go watch it again, for a good laugh

Galax Steeler
12-30-2008, 03:45 AM
I would love to see more of McHugh I believe he has some good potential and probably more then davis.

Steelers & I
12-30-2008, 03:49 AM
I've heard a lot of talk about some dude that's currently on the Packers roster. He's suppose to be one bad man, Kuhn, John I believe his name is?

JackHammer
12-30-2008, 03:54 AM
We're stuck with who we have. That being said, we just need to use the FB more for the sake of Fast WP. He's just better w/ a FB in front of him.

Steelman16
12-30-2008, 04:13 AM
I've heard a lot of talk about some dude that's currently on the Packers roster. He's suppose to be one bad man, Kuhn, John I believe his name is?

We try to forget that he's not on our roster. :chuckle:

I'm intrigued by McHugh. He seems like a pretty decent blocker, and is definitely an upgrade over Davis in that department. He can catch as a tight end, but I'm not sure about out of the backfield.

I'm hoping that with Ben's injury, Arians will do more I and power formations utilizing the fullback; because it's true, Willie runs better with a lead blocker. Plus, that might help take the load off of Ben.

Steelers & I
12-30-2008, 05:18 AM

I'm intrigued by McHugh. He seems like a pretty decent blocker, and is definitely an upgrade over Davis in that department. He can catch as a tight end, but I'm not sure about out of the backfield.

I'm hoping that with Ben's injury, Arians will do more I and power formations utilizing the fullback; because it's true, Willie runs better with a lead blocker. Plus, that might help take the load off of Ben.

That I-Formation was definitely effective. In my opinion, McHugh had his best blocking day as a Steeler. There were a few runs where I really heard the pads popping as McHugh absorbed that initial defender. It reminded a bit of, now just a bit, Dan Krieder in his prime.

Oh yeah, how impressive was that 1st and goal run for a touchdown? Man, they had McHugh and Davis leading the way for Russell. That run was uncontested.

stlrtruck
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM

But he is a FA after this year

markymarc
12-31-2008, 06:34 AM
McHugh is a good FB. Unfortunately he didn't see a lot of playing time until we played the Stains again. Rather see McHugh back there instead of Davis. Davis is not a real FB. He is just a heavier RB.

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 09:23 AM
McHugh is also a TE by trade, so ostensibly he should be able to catch out of the backfield. I don't know if he can run, but does it really matter? We only hand the ball to the FB about 3 times a year anyway...

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-31-2008, 09:50 AM
McHugh is also a TE by trade, so ostensibly he should be able to catch out of the backfield. I don't know if he can run, but does it really matter? We only hand the ball to the FB about 3 times a year anyway...

All very true, but somebody brought up an interesting point in preseason while pimping Dez Sherrod to be the FB/ #3TE. A taller guy like McHugh and Miller have a tough time getting under the pads of ILB's who are normally 6'- 6'2" and a shorter lead blocker like most FB's or a short TE like Sherrod at only 6'1" should be better blockers.

I like McHugh as our best available lead blocker from the FB/H-back position, but we can still do better with a FB that can block better than Davis who can still catch. For the present time, McHugh is the best option, but I would like to see a 240-250lb FB drafted that can catch the football too. Kind of like William Henderson in Green Bay used to be.

DACEB
12-31-2008, 10:40 AM
All very true, but somebody brought up an interesting point in preseason while pimping Dez Sherrod to be the FB/ #3TE. A taller guy like McHugh and Miller have a tough time getting under the pads of ILB's who are normally 6'- 6'2" and a shorter lead blocker like most FB's or a short TE like Sherrod at only 6'1" should be better blockers.

I like McHugh as our best available lead blocker from the FB/H-back position, but we can still do better with a FB that can block better than Davis who can still catch. For the present time, McHugh is the best option, but I would like to see a 240-250lb FB drafted that can catch the football too. Kind of like William Henderson in Green Bay used to be.

Yea, that was me. I took one look at his (Sherrod) measurables and thought this is the guy to eventually replace Davis and be the H-back in this offensive scheme.

Gonzo, you and I have been high on McHugh as our best blocker for quite some time. Your right about his size though, at 6'5" he's tall for a FB for the reasons you stated. But like you said, he's our best option.

Dino 6 Rings
12-31-2008, 10:50 AM
I noticed a few weeks ago McHugh caught a ball out of the back field as well. I'm thinking they've been tinkering with the full back position in practice and that they have settled on McHugh as the guy. Especially after the way he peformed against the Browns.

sackmaster56
12-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Give Mendenhall a chance to get an NFL body and I think or hope that he will be a big power back. Having him and fast Willie will be a heck of a 1 - 2 punch.

Rick5895
12-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Give Mendenhall a chance to get an NFL body and I think or hope that he will be a big power back. Having him and fast Willie will be a heck of a 1 - 2 punch.

I agree, Mendenhall will be a monster. For right now, McHugh seems to be the guy, very much like Krieder.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-31-2008, 11:11 AM
:drink:Yea, that was me. I took one look at his (Sherrod) measurables and thought this is the guy to eventually replace Davis and be the H-back in this offensive scheme.

Gonzo, you and I have been high on McHugh as our best blocker for quite some time. Your right about his size though, at 6'5" he's tall for a FB for the reasons you stated. But like you said, he's our best option.
Yeah, that was a good observation back in May DACEB!!! I think McHugh is a good guy to have as a #3 TE because of his flexibility and it really allows us to be able to upgrade Carey Davis like I wish we would have this past offseason for a better blocker. At this point he is really a redundant player taking up a spot.

Hey Dino5rings....check out McHugh on youtube and you will see a couple videos of the Lions using him as a pretty good receiver. He can catch, but the fact that he is a Steeler TE means he wont catch much.

I would like to see some good old goal line I formation, run right and slip either Miller, McHugh or both into the end zone for play action pass. Simple, but rarely done by the Steelers O this year.

Pi Kapp Steeler
12-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Do you think we should look for a FB in the draft?

KeiselPower99
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Maybe we will get lucky and Seattle will release Owen Schmitt.

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 12:25 PM
well if this team is going to use a te as the fb pos then y keep davis? davis occasionally comes in for a play or two but thats it.. esp when they are now using mchugh as the fb

DACEB
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
I would like to see some good old goal line I formation, run right and slip either Miller, McHugh or both into the end zone for play action pass. Simple, but rarely done by the Steelers O this year.

How about power I, with all three TEs on the field. Where did all that go from last year? How many TD catches did the TEs have last year vs. this year?

I still hold out hope that BA is going to put it all together postseason and do the things we know we can do well. And damnit, do it over and over again if it works until they stop it. When they do stop it, give them the same look and do something different.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
How about power I, with all three TEs on the field. Where did all that go from last year? How many TD catches did the TEs have last year vs. this year?
Yeah, I think you can go with a "heavy" package where you take out Ward and Holmes, then bring in Essex and Spaeth with McHugh lead blocking for Gary Russell. Then you either decide we are gonna hammer it in, or go play action to Miller, Spaeth or McHugh.

Again, pretty simple, but maybe too simple for the liking of the current Steeler offense.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I think you can go with a "heavy" package where you take out Ward and Holmes, then bring in Essex and Spaeth with McHugh lead blocking for Gary Russell. Then you either decide we are gonna hammer it in, or go play action to Miller, Spaeth or McHugh.

Again, pretty simple, but maybe too simple for the liking of the current Steeler offense.

We had a broken goalline play a couple games back..where Spaeth lined up tight with the RT...came up like he was going to block and took one step into the endzone and turned around. When Ben got the ball he IMMEDIATELY threw it 4 feet to the 6'8 Spaeth but unfortunately threw it VERY hard for an incompletion...instead of just a lob for an easy 6.

Everyone was totally fooled and played the run.....too bad.

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
that wouldn't be too bad of an idea...running the full house could work too

Steelman16
01-01-2009, 01:44 AM
We had a broken goalline play a couple games back..where Spaeth lined up tight with the RT...came up like he was going to block and took one step into the endzone and turned around. When Ben got the ball he IMMEDIATELY threw it 4 feet to the 6'8 Spaeth but unfortunately threw it VERY hard for an incompletion...instead of just a lob for an easy 6.

Everyone was totally fooled and played the run.....too bad.

I remember that play, and wished they'd have done it again in another game, but I haven't seen it.

I seriously hope Arians has some power formations and PA tight end plays ready for the playoffs. We'll need them.

markymarc
01-02-2009, 06:18 AM
I seriously hope Arians has some power formations and PA tight end plays ready for the playoffs. We'll need them.

No kidding. This can work. We can only hope Arians makes sure to break it out very often for our playoff run.

KeiselPower99
01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Anyone see the full house backfield Carolina runs. When the played the Giants they had Jeff King and Brad Hoover blocking for Deangelo Williams and he broke a nice one. I sat here and was like damn That could be Willie breaking one if we ran that.

truesteelerfan
01-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I would love to see us be able to impose our will against other teams. How cool was it when the other team knew we were going to run it down their throat, they studied it, practiced stopping it, yet game time came around and we still did it. I think an important part of that is getting a fullback who can block. Maybe a "heavy" TE, catches are nice, but as stats show, even with the current FB we don't throw to them much, I'd be ok with eliminating those 26 catches to our "complete" current FB in exchange for lining up and having our HB have a solid partner he can count on providing hiim with a hole to run thru.