PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl Could be leaving Honolulu.

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/latest/story/1504844.html?mi_rss=Latest%20News

Source: Pro Bowl moved to Miami before 2010 Super Bowl
Associated Press
Published: Monday, Dec. 29, 2008

MIAMI -- The Pro Bowl will be played one week before the Super Bowl in 2010 and both games will be staged in Dolphin Stadium, a person directly involved in the decision told The Associated Press on Monday.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the NFL has not announced the move.

It's not a new notion to have the game moved up to take place between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl. The NFL has discussed it multiple times in recent years, and commissioner Roger Goodell told the AP last month that having the game precede the Super Bowl would avoid a "somewhat anticlimactic" ending to the season.

The Pro Bowl has been held in Honolulu since 1980, and it's probable that the game will return to Hawaii after 2010, although not on the permanent basis as has been the case over the last three decades.

It won't be South Florida's first Pro Bowl: the 1975 game took place in Miami's Orange Bowl, during a period when the site rotated annually.

Barring a schedule change, next season's Pro Bowl will take place Jan. 31, 2010, with the Super Bowl that year on Feb. 7. The league's plan is for players on the AFC and NFC championship squads not to take part in the Pro Bowl.

Miami was awarded the 2010 Super Bowl three years ago, a record 10th time the game will come to the Dolphins' home city. The notion of adding the Pro Bowl to the lineup in South Florida was first discussed several months ago. It's not clear when the final decision was made to move the game.

Hawaii tourism officials have lobbied in recent months to extend the game's current contract, which expires after this season's Pro Bowl, pointing to the fact that it's been sold out every year since moving to Honolulu and generates about $30.5 million in visitor spending and tax revenues.

And earlier this year, Hawaii's state government released $11 million for lighting and roofing improvements at Aloha Stadium, part of ongoing upgrades designed to refurbish and modernize the aging stadium. State officials have also considered demolishing the facility and building a new stadium.

Edman
12-30-2008, 02:32 AM
You know how to make the Pro Bowl less anti-climactic?

Eliminate fan voting and allow those who have actually earned it a spot and not on name only.

nojobny
12-30-2008, 03:51 AM
You know how to make the Pro Bowl less anti-climactic?

Eliminate fan voting and allow those who have actually earned it a spot and not on name only.

No kidding! The Jets have 7 players going. :mad:

SCSTILLER
12-30-2008, 06:57 AM
What is the incentive for the players to make the pro bowl now, there is no free vacation to Hawaii (sarcasm)

MasterOfPuppets
12-30-2008, 07:25 AM
pointing to the fact that it's been sold out every year since moving to Honolulu i went to the "97" pro bowl .......the stadium looked half empty to me...:noidea:

TailgateMel
12-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Why would any of the guys who are going to be in the Super Bowl play in the Pro-Bowl & risk getting injured right before the Super Bowl??? It would take (presumably) some of the top level guys out of the game..

Yes, it is kind of anticlimatic... but I see it sort of as a wind-down.

Mel

xfl2001fan
12-30-2008, 08:45 AM
It's anti-climatic...but when you calculate in the fact that the two SB teams will not have deserving players attend, it will be an even worse game.

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 08:46 AM
i have the same point mel... if ur going to have the pro-bowl b4 the SB... y in hell would players that are on the teams playing in the SB play in the pro-bowl.. it's pointless..

and then they want it to happen in the same stadium as the SB... that will be a lot of mayham if that happens

Crushzilla
12-30-2008, 08:53 AM
I figure it's primarily a marketing idea.

MLB and the NBA have entire weekends surrounding the event, which means more $$$.

It was my understanding that the NFL would like the game to be played at the same site as the SB. Now the NFL can make the Super Bowl an entire week long production.

Godfather
12-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Dumb idea. The only reason the players are willing to show up is their wives/girlfriends want the trip to Hawaii.

xfl2001fan
12-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Dumb idea. The only reason the players are willing to show up is their wives/girlfriends want the trip to Hawaii.

Seriously...the NFL needs to really rethink this option if they keep the two paired together in the same city.

Can you imagine a week long gala for the SB/Probowl in...Detroit? UGH

As it is, I disagree with SB sites (No chance for Heinz Field or Cleveland Browns Stadium to ever host a SB...what kind of crap is that?)

The Pro Bowl in Hawaii worked (IMO) because it was a reward for the players who were the most popular...err...best at their position in a given year. If you're a Dolphin who makes it to the PB (a la Joey Porter), who is it a reward to go to...Miami in 2010? There's no vacation involved in it.

millwalldavey
12-30-2008, 10:16 AM
My friend went to the pro bowl twice when he was stationed (army) in Hawaii. That was a rough 3 years!

The first year he went they went out on the field for warmups the day before. Warren Sapp left the team warmups to shake hands and meet all of the servicemen. The next year he went back, Sapp did it again and remembered his name!

He swears Sapp was the biggest human being he had ever seen!

stlrtruck
12-30-2008, 11:25 AM
He swears Sapp was the biggest human being he had ever seen!

That's funny because my experiences with Sapp are completely opposite and I consider him one of the biggest jackass' to ever wear an NFL Jersey - right up there with Darrell Green!

millwalldavey
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
That's funny because my experiences with Sapp are completely opposite and I consider him one of the biggest jackass' to ever wear an NFL Jersey - right up there with Darrell Green!

Hmmm. What were you circumstances for dealing with him? Jason said he really made a fuss over the servicemen.

steelreserve
12-30-2008, 01:22 PM
You know what? I don't care about the game now and I rarely watch any of it, because it's just the Pro Bowl.

If they move it, I won't care about the game and I'll rarely watch any of it, because the fundamental issue is the same: It's still just the Pro Bowl.

stlrtruck
12-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Hmmm. What were you circumstances for dealing with him? Jason said he really made a fuss over the servicemen.

I was an intern during training camp in '98. And initially he was cool. Fun to talk to and just a fun guy but then one day when 989 Sports came in for the players to test the new game, I guess (from what another intern told me) he didn't like something I said about a play that Michael Irvin made on the video game and he pretty much treated me like dog shite the rest of training camp.

The Duke
12-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I guess the NFL really doesn't care about the pro bowl.

This will affect the ratings and all the pro bowlers in the super bowl won't go. The only thing left is hawwai, and they take that too

HometownGal
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Maybe so - but for as enormous as he is, he sure can dance! :getdown:

I haven't watched a Pro Bowl in years. All it is anymore is a huge NFL popularity contest.

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Maybe so - but for as enormous as he is, he sure can dance! :getdown:

I haven't watched a Pro Bowl in years. All it is anymore is a huge NFL popularity contest.

One more reason why fan voting has carried too much weight.

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Don't care much for this at all either way...

lambertlunaticfan
01-02-2009, 01:13 AM
i dont know if anyone else posted this story,but anyway,what are your thoughts of the nfl moving the pro bowl next season to the site of that years super bowl and playing it the week before.......i like the idea of playing in the mainland,and not in hawaii as it gives more people a chance to see the game,even though im sure players hate it,as it gave them a nice vecation there...but i have a problem with them playing before the super bowl,cause the problem is that the super bowl players obviously wouldnt be playing....the thing about the nfl pro bowl is the players dont all play,they come up with injuries to get out of it...to me unless you have a legit injury you should be made to be there,all all star games are a bore,but at least baseball they are playing for something...what are you thoughts about this.....:tt:

Borski
01-02-2009, 01:45 AM
I like the idea of moving it the week before the super bowl, it gives something for football fans to watch during the bye week after the conference championship games.

It also wont be a anti-clmatic ending to the season, I think that every sports last game should be for the title. of corse that the Super Bowl teams players wont get to play, but i'm sure their fans would much rather watch them in the Super Bowl than the Pro Bowl.

I don't really care where they play it at, they could play it in Hawaii, Florida, London, Cancun, I don't care.

steelersfanman92
01-18-2009, 04:23 PM
If you move it to the week before the superbowl none of the players that made the superbowl would play because they would be scared of getting injured

SteelerFan091472
01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't know why they play the Pro Bowl at this point anyway. I think the last time I watched the Pro Bowl was 1982. I was 9 years old at the time.

steelers2685
01-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Eliminate fan voting AND eliminate Roger Goodell's "good ideas"! :rolleyes: