PDA

View Full Version : Cowher is talking to the J-E-T-S

nojobny
12-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Just reported on the local ESPN Radio station that Cowher is open to discussion to the Jets coaching job.

If I get more info I'll post it.

nojobny
12-30-2008, 08:27 AM
http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/blog?id=3480300

Sources: Cowher willing to talk
December 29, 2008, 4:23 PM

Sources tell 1050 that Bill Cowher is willing to talk to the Jets about their head coaching job, but he loves his role at CBS and his plan right now is to remain there through next year. Cowher, according to sources, just re-did his CBS contract for more money for next season.

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 09:54 AM
well he is alrdy in ny 4 his analyst job and his 2 daughters live there.. so who knows

T&B fan
12-30-2008, 10:02 AM
no .he dos TV gig for now and makes us all happy . the only reson to talk to the jets is to see how much $$$$$ can be gotten next yr or 2 . and he was in NY so what the hell . dinner on the jets :noidea: :wave:

stlrtruck
12-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Why wouldn't he want to go to the Jets? They've got a foundation, just like the Steelers had when he took over and he can build on that. That team needs a little spit and vinegar and they'll be fine.

tony hipchest
12-30-2008, 11:11 AM
just reported that cowher said thanks but no thanks. he was interrested, but he would want to bring in his own personel director and the jets are intent on keeping tannenbaum.

revefsreleets
12-30-2008, 11:45 AM
If he re-upped for another year at CBS I'd say he's out of the coaching race altogether.

Whew! No way will the Browns fire a new coach after one year, so that drops the probability he ever coaches the Browns to zero.

Robbinz2121
12-30-2008, 11:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799959

thoughts?

revefsreleets
12-30-2008, 11:56 AM
That'll be that, then...no Cowher in '09, and definitely no Browns.

I'd say even odds that the Browns eff up and pick the wrong guy yet again. Still waiting to hear what Gruden's status is...

Dino 6 Rings
12-30-2008, 12:03 PM
See, Detroit should have kept their coach...for one more year...then next season...that job would be ripe pickings for him. Total Control.

Still could be if they don't win more than 2 games next year.

Washington may also be a 2010 option if that guy can't get his team to the playoffs.

But the Jets, you'd be second fiddle to the Giants. The Jets have always been the 2nd team in NY. They still don't have their own stadium. Giants Stadium. Been there. They just cover up all the Giants stuff with Jets stuff on Jets home games. But you can't miss the big Giants Stadium sign on the outside.

Fire Haley
12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
BWAhahahahah - I perdicted this WEEKS ago...

http://www.somamind.com/cowher/images/main.jpg
http://www.somamind.com/cowher/images/main-03.jpg

My prophecy still lives

stlrtruck
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Cowher does plan to coach in 2010

Two teams come to mind:
Panthers (depending on how their playoffs and next season goes)
Cowboys

Fire Haley
12-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Jets/Cowher to meet

"Source: Jets still pursuing Cowher"
BY ERIK BOLAND

12:31 PM EST, December 30, 2008

Reports that Bill Cowher isn't interested in the Jets as they're currently structured might not be entirely accurate.

ESPN reported earlier today that Cowher would not interview with the Jets, but a source inside the organization with knowledge of the team's plans disputed parts of the report and said that Cowher is "receptive" to discussions.

"We plan to speak with him," the source said. "But there have been no discussion yet. We have gotten no indication from him that he would not take the position based on the front office power structure."

That structure was brought up during yesterday's news conference announcing the firing of Eric Mangini when Jets owner Woody Johnson said he wouldn't hire a coach who also wanted control over personnel. Any coach wanting control in that area, naturally, would be a threat to GM Mike Tannenbaum.

"It's too much," Johnson said. "There's no way, no way that you can do it, in my opinion, and really do it because you're always relying on somebody else. You may think you have the power, but you can't make those discerning decisions, there's just too much work, and be a coach."

But the Jets source today said Tannenbaum, also an executive vice president, might be willing to relinquish some responsibilities.

"Mike has taken the position that he will do whatever is in the best interest of the franchise," the source said.

None of this, of course, means Cowher is slated to be the next coach of the Jets and just how interested the former Steelers coach is hasn't yet been determined. Also yesterday the team asked for permission to speak with Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and that permission was granted by the Giants. Longtime NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer is on the team's list of candidates as is Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz."

Feel free to discuss among yourselves. It is, as the saying goes, "a fluid situation."

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=40709&page=5

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 01:52 PM
See, Detroit should have kept their coach...for one more year...then next season...that job would be ripe pickings for him. Total Control.

Still could be if they don't win more than 2 games next year.

I dunno - Detroit is a complete reclamation project for anyone that gets involved there. That team needs rebuilding from the ground up. Don't know if Cowher wants to go to a team in need of that much work.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-30-2008, 02:06 PM
I dunno - Detroit is a complete reclamation project for anyone that gets involved there. That team needs rebuilding from the ground up. Don't know if Cowher wants to go to a team in need of that much work.

I doubt it. Right now he has a record of 149-90-1 in the regular season. He wants a team that won't go 2-14 and stuff because it'll take 3-4 years to rebuild that team and by then he could end up with a sub-.500 record.

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 02:13 PM

but honestly.. if u take the lions HC job.. U CAN"T DO ANY WORSE... so u'll get praise for winning some games..

tony hipchest
12-30-2008, 03:15 PM
bill is very inspired by 2 people- chuck noll and dick vermeil.

he's very intrigued with completely hanging them up altogether and has spoke to noll frequently about the subject.

he is also intrigued by vermeil who gave it up, established a life, and then returned many years later.

pat kirwan is about as close to insider information that we will get with the cowher situation, and he says this with alot of certainty-

bill will give the owners a courtesy visit to respectfully explain eye to eye why he is NOT yet ready to return to coaching.

bill is smart enough to keep all doors open and definitely not burn any bridges for the future.

people keep saying he cant or wont turn down a deal worth $10 mil/year, and full control of a team loaded with talent.

he already did last year (team wasnt revealed but im thinking the redskins).

T&B fan
12-30-2008, 04:05 PM

he's very intrigued with completely hanging them up altogether and has spoke to noll frequently about the subject.

he is also intrigued by vermeil who gave it up, established a life, and then returned many years later.

pat kirwan is about as close to insider information that we will get with the cowher situation, and he says this with alot of certainty-

bill will give the owners a courtesy visit to respectfully explain eye to eye why he is NOT yet ready to return to coaching.

bill is smart enough to keep all doors open and definitely not burn any bridges for the future.

people keep saying he cant or wont turn down a deal worth $10 mil/year, and full control of a team loaded with talent.

:thumbsup: Cowher is THE MAN and will alwaysbe

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 04:14 PM
but honestly.. if u take the lions HC job.. U CAN"T DO ANY WORSE... so u'll get praise for winning some games..

That's a good point too - and if anybody has shown that he can maximize mediocre talent and get a team to play above itself, it's Cowher.

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
that is true 76.. cowher is the man to do it...

and also for this yr they get the extra picks from dallas that can help out a lot too..

The Patriot
12-30-2008, 04:53 PM
That would be fun.

HometownGal
12-30-2008, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info, hipcheese! :drink:

Besides - Kaye wears the pants in that family and I'm sure she'll have a huge say in what he does and where he goes down the road. :pin:

brick
12-31-2008, 12:32 AM
looks like chin's opting out of the jets job.

Bill Cowher is out of the running for the New York Jets' vacant coaching job.

A high ranking Jets official told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the Jets reached out to Bill Cowher on Tuesday about their vacant head coaching job. Cowher's agent called the team back and told them that Cowher had no interest in their coaching job.

"After reaching out to Coach Cowher's representatives, we were informed tonight that he is not a candidate for the position," Jets spokesman Bruce Speight told The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

Initially, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported Cowher told the Jets he was not interested because he wanted his own personnel director. The Jets official's response indicated the team was willing to let Cowher replace current general manager Mike Tannenbaum with his own candidate.

A Jets source also said Tannenbaum said he was willing to adjust his position to accommodate Cowher.

Cowher had not given the Jets the impression he must have total control of personnel, a person familiar with the search told AP. Still, Cowher took his name out of the running without a formal sit-down.

Cowher originally told friends the Jets' job interested him for several reasons. First, Cowher would love to coach in the New York market. Second, two of his daughters are either going to school or working in the New York-New Jersey area.

If Cowher doesn't take an open NFL head coaching job this offseason, he does plan to coach in 2010, sources told Clayton. In 2009, though, he is willing to return only if every situation is right for him. He wanted to have a two-year break from coaching to be with family and recharge.

Last weekend, Cowher met with Browns owner Randy Lerner, who asked him what it would take financially for him to be the Browns coach. Having a close relationship with the Rooney family in Pittsburgh and still wanting more time with family, Cowher didn't give Lerner a price, and said no.

Cowher, 51, was 161-99-1 in 15 seasons with Pittsburgh, including a Super Bowl win in 2006.

Cowher recently extended his contract with CBS for another season.

In addition to Cowher, the Jets are also lining up interviews with other candidates, including Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. The Giants have granted the Jets permission to speak with Spagnuolo regarding their opening, sources told ESPN's Rachel Nichols.

New York is also expected to interview a pair of in-house candidates: offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who also served as assistant head coach under Eric Mangini, who was fired as head coach Monday. Mike Shanahan, fired by Denver on Tuesday night, could also be a potential candidate.

Spagnuolo has become a popular candidate given the Giants' success on defense the last two seasons under him. The 49-year-old defensive coordinator has been mentioned in connection with the vacant Detroit and Cleveland jobs, as well as the Jets.

He was hired by the Giants in January 2007 after working eight years under Jim Johnson with the Philadelphia Eagles' defense. Spagnuolo was considered for the Washington Redskins job after the Giants upset the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl last season, but he chose to remain with New York.

[+] (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799959)

everybody is just assuming that he'll go to SOME team next season, when there is a large possibility of him just staying out of coaching and remaining a cbs analyst (at least for next season).

tony hipchest
12-31-2008, 01:52 AM
sometimes a "cigar IS just a cigar".

sometimes when a man says he wants some time off to spend with his family he really means it.

i never doubted it. it was his stance from the get go and cowher has never shown to be a dishonest liar.

im amazed at all the steelerfans who were so sure he was chomping at the bit to jump back in the game for nothing more than money.

where have you guys been for the past 17 years?

tony hipchest
12-31-2008, 01:53 AM
im sure denver or the rams will call, perhaps al davis will be willing to give up all control (doubtful with hot candidate james lofton still out there) and all the "cowher to return" talks will resume.

hes said it all along. he wants a break, and if you watch the cbs pre-game show, he is actually the "star".

to see the likes of shannon, dan, and boomer take a back seat to this 2nd year TV novice is kinda funny...

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 09:36 AM
J-E-T-S will definitely take a look-see at Shanny

Robbinz2121
12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
I could see him wearing a Jets jacket on the sidelines as well.

XxKnightxX
12-31-2008, 10:40 AM
The thing that amazes me though is how Adam Schefter is just saying that people will not listen and according to his sources(hard to belive him but when it comes to big news hes right a lot of times) that The chin has no desire to come back to coaching at all until 2010, that he will listen out of courtesy , but he will say no. I say he waits another year to see if Fox collapses the panthers or if his situation is right and then he takes over.

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Fox is going nowhere...even if he went 0-16 next year (which he won't...not with that defense).

Fire Haley
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
So much for that...

Jets | Cowher no longer interested in head coaching job
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:28:01 -0800

Updating an ongoing story, ESPN.com reports the New York Jets reached out to former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher about their vacant head coaching job Tuesday, Dec. 30.

However, Cowher's agent called the team back and told them Cowher was no longer interested. "After reaching out to Coach Cowher's representatives, we were informed tonight that he is not a candidate for the position," Jets spokesman Bruce Speight told The Associated Press Tuesday night.

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 01:29 PM
i had my doubts that cowher would want to come back next yr...

maybe he is just waiting for that special team to have a HC vacancy

Dino 6 Rings
12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
i had my doubts that cowher would want to come back next yr...

maybe he is just waiting for that special team to have a HC vacancy

Too bad for Cowher...Tomlin is already the HC of that Special Team!

:tt::tt02::tt03:

T&B fan
12-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Too bad for Cowher...Tomlin is already the HC of that Special Team!

:tt::tt02::tt03:

yup :thumbsup: :tt03: or Cowher come back to GM for that Special Team...:tt02: :applaudit:

St33lersguy
12-31-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't think Cowher wants to coach in '09. He'll wait at least another year

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 06:06 PM
cowher could come back and take over the OC job.. haha

Dino 6 Rings
12-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I don't think Cowher wants to coach in '09. He'll wait at least another year

I heard Cowher had a couple long talks with Dick Vermiel and asked about taking time off and coming back and really like's that approach.

If the guy isn't ready to put his entire life and heart into building a winning team and having to go with all the ups and downs that come with being a coach in the NFL, then he shouldn't come back too early. He could ruin his career by coming back to the wrong team with the wrong amount of heart in it.